Draft Pick 16: Thomas Sheridan

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 16 -

Sounds like a workhorse, with Hill/Fyfe/Mora/Pitt floating around for your finess we need these guys.

If we took him too early, I'll leave that to some of the posters on the board who are more in the know, no doubt that highnsight in 5 years time will be a beautiful thing

He did athletics and played basketball as a wee-un. That to me indicates he should be nimble, good below his knees and have a pretty good jump. Sounds not too bad really, think he was a safe pick really.

Tom sounds like a good pick up with excellent endurance. I wouldn't mind a second Barlow at all :thumbsu:

However the article is a bit generous in saying his VO2max is comparable to Cadel's. While 76 is really good (normal for an athlete his age would be between 60-70 I believe), the difference to 82 is still significant. That is not to say he won't get similar numbers at one point, but at the moment it's just not true. He's more at Seb Coe's level (77). (fun fact: highest recorded VO2max are Bjorn Daehlie 96 and Greg LeMond 92.5, if I'm correct)

Cadel Evans is a great athlete tho because he also has a very high anaerobic threshold.

VO2max isn't the best measure of a team sport athletes fitness level but having a high one wont hurt!

Can confirm you are correct on the highest VO2max. Dam those cross country skiers are a fit bunch of freaks!

"Sheridan is a really busy, team-oriented onballer with a healthy competitive streak. He has an elite endurance base and will run and carry on his own or link up with teammates. He's not the most penetrating kick, but he's very effective using his hands to bring teammates into the play."

"He has good endurance and can bring others into the game by clever use of the ball."

Apparently is also fairly balanced between inside/outside.

Does indeed sound pretty Barlow like.

Will help a lot with our link up play from the sounds of it... we were pretty poor this year at running to provide a target for the player with the ball late in games this year. This young bloke sounds like he'll help a lot with that. And he can dig the ball out himself if required.

With rationality having returned, feeling much better about the pick!

Whispers about Sheridan spot on

Fremantle's first pick yesterday, Tom Sheridan, nearly escaped the TAC Cup talent net.

Living at Riddells Creek, on the very north-western tip of Melbourne's metropolitan area and hence the very north-western tip of the Calder Cannons zone, Sheridan had been overlooked in their 14s and 15s squads.

But one trial match at under-15s level changed all that, as the Cannons' development manager Len Villani explained yesterday.

"Tommy is a good story," he said. "He comes from a unique pathway, initially anyway.

"He was overlooked as a 14 or 15-year-old and we have a game where we look at the best of the rest, if you like, in the under-15s.

"We got a bit of a whisper about a kid from Riddells Creek and we played him in this game and he was just an absolute standout.

"We ended up bringing him into our playing squad and from there the rest is history now."

Sheridan confirmed his potential in this year's under-18s titles, where he averaged 14 possessions a game for the Vic Metro team.

He had outstanding results at the draft combine, recording top-three results in the beep test (15.7) and the 3km time trial (9min. 57sec.).

The streets of Riddells Creek were rocking last night as more than 50 people descended on the Sheridan household to celebrate.

"It has been a really big day. I am just overwhelmed and honoured. It is great to be going to such a nice club," said Sheridan, who counts Docker Nat Fyfe amongst his favourite players.

"We were having a party at our house and everyone went nuts. Mum cried but she is happy now - probably just not used to me leaving home."

Sheridan said he laid the foundations for his 2011 season the previous year, playing alongside draftees like Dion Prestia (Gold Coast) and Tom Liberatore (Bulldogs).

"It was a real learning year with a nice finish for me in the latter half when I played really good footy, including in two finals," he said.

Source

From Draft Whispers prior to the Draft:

November 18: Bombs away for keen Cannon
While most of his fellow draft hopefuls complete exams or busy themselves at work in the lead up the NAB AFL Draft, Tom Sheridan has chosen a different path and joined the Bendigo Bombers' pre-season campaign.

There will be plenty of hard work ahead of the Calder Cannons' skipper after the draft, but it's a measure of how keen he is to get a head start on his AFL career that he's sweating it out with the Bombers instead of taking a breather after a hectic year.

Prospective AFL clubs needn't worry that Sheridan is putting himself in danger of burnout either because he has the physiological make-up to cope with the extra work.

The AIS fitness staff tested young players for their VO2 max rating at the NAB AFL Combine and Sheridan ranked third out of 120. Put simply, VO2 max is a scientific calculation of how far an athlete can push his body in the pursuit of peak fitness, which would go a long way to explaining his outstanding 15.7 beep test.

Sheridan played a lot of his footy as an inside midfielder this season, but is more than capable of playing an outside role according to Cannons' region manager Ian Kyte, which will make him an attractive prospect to a club late in the first round of the draft.

I remember reading that prior to the draft and was impressed. Attitute and hard work is so much more important then potential.

Sheridan was widely regarded as a top 30 pick, and definitely improved his standing late. I had him a bit lower in my draft, with some concerns over his speed and consistency with his kicking.

But he is a tall midfielder, and will probably be one of the fittest at the club. I reckon he'll develop into a Barlow type player.

Mick Barlow aint fast, and he's been the best recruit we've had bar Fyfey !

2whnznq.jpg

Here's a pic of Tommy in a Fremantle jersey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it.

We need elite gut runners, it has been a big weakness in our midfield. How often do we complain that guys are not running/working hard enough?

He sounds like a bit of a clown/pest, but in a good way. I think it is good to have these sorts at a club. He seems confident too, that video with Daicos was great. His standard set shots vs Daicos also looked decent enough.

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it.

We need elite gut runners, it has been a big weakness in our midfield. How often do we complain that guys are not running/working hard enough?

He sounds like a bit of a clown/pest, but in a good way. I think it is good to have these sorts at a club. He seems confident too, that video with Daicos was great. His standard set shots vs Daicos also looked decent enough.

We only do that because we turn the ball over often and are out of position on the rebound.

2whnznq.jpg

Here's a pic of Tommy in a Fremantle jersey.

I shall annoint him as Panda :thumbsu:

I vote we call him hat-stand.

Am I the only one spooked by the fact there is no reflection of him in the mirror?? :eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps we have drafted a Twilight Zone inhabitant...

And the uniform would be much better if all the guys were wearing boardies like those instead of ordinary shorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back