Draft Pick 20: Hayden Crozier

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 20

We may as well designate pick 20 to be the skinny tweener pick.

Fyfe, then Pitt, now Crozier.

Gold! Very impressive observation... probably never would have picked that up.

He's 68 kilos.

He's not gonna do much..

Pitt was around that weight wasn't he? And he was an inch or so taller (i.e. skinnier overall). Admittedly he didn't do much last year, but he got a couple of games.

Hopefully the young fella will get some time to prove himself (and build a bit of size) in the WAFL and get a couple of games later in the year or something to show us what he can do.

With Frodo going into the midfield more, having someone with pace and smarts in the forward 50 could turn into Crozier's job... as I can't think of anyone else we have that fits the bill. Another good pick by the looks.

He is pretty skinny though, so yeah... will probably take a little bit of time.

"Crozier averaged 19 touches, including nine contested, five marks and one goal a game.

At the draft combine, Crozier's 20m sprint time was ranked sixth. His running vertical jump, which enables him to fly high above most others, was ranked second. When combined with his neat left-foot kick, he had several exciting tools.

But where Crozier fits into the draft order has recruiters puzzled.

Bewick said the club that secured Crozier would be rewarded.

"He's got a really good footy brain and around the ground he knows how to win the ball," Bewick said.

"He's played a lot as a high, hit-up forward but with a few AFL pre-seasons under his belt, I think he could develop into someone who could push up into the wing."

Sounds very Fyfe-like indeed. Except quicker!

I'm saying that at some point our drafting strategy should have looked at filling important positions with promising talls. Any time. We've had five goes at it. A future AA quality tall would have been great. Most good clubs can get one after five attempts.

But we have tried. Mourish, Shepperd, Houghton, Sibosado, Silvagni, Faulks, Dawson, Mitch Clarke, Anthony. Not to mention Murphy, Campbell and Polak who should be in their prime. Most have been failures. I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments that we need talls, but you aren't seeing the full picture.

I can see why maybe we could have gone with Darling or Kersten, but you make it sound like we have completely ignored drafting talls ... Which is clearly not the case when you look at the names above. I think with the benefit of hindsight, over the last few years the only realistic alternative we could have gone with is Hurley over Hill. But that still requires time to see what Hill might become.

Oh, last year's AA side KPP - 2 x F/S, and pick 11, 8, 5.

But we have tried. Mourish, Shepperd, Houghton, Sibosado, Silvagni, Faulks, Dawson, Mitch Clarke, Anthony. Not to mention Murphy, Campbell and Polak who should be in their prime. Most have been failures. I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments that we need talls, but you aren't seeing the full picture.

I can see why maybe we could have gone with Darling or Kersten, but you make it sound like we have completely ignored drafting talls ... Which is clearly not the case when you look at the names above. I think with the benefit of hindsight, over the last few years the only realistic alternative we could have gone with is Hurley over Hill. But that still requires time to see what Hill might become.

Oh, last year's AA side KPP - 2 x F/S, and pick 11, 8, 5.

Not that I am supporting Clays argument, but just want to point out (As I did at the time) we could have gone John Butcher over Morabito. Both have kind of turned out how I expected, and Morabito certainly made an important difference to the side in his first year (And I am a big fan), but longer term Butcher should hit his straps when Pav is running out of steam. Good KP players are few and far between.

Having said that, as pointed out in another thread, we should theoretically have Moller all stitched up as a scholarship player, and he is really starting to look very good as a KP / Ruck.

Jeez, our recruiters/coaches love the 'high, hit-up forwards'. Every WAFL watch talks about players doing or needing to do this. And now we have more. Hopefully he can 'spread from the stoppages well'.
Thats because they can turn them into midfielders quite easily. Goal kicking midfielders are very highly sought after.

In the Age, they said Crozier has been learning to be a running back

That's because after the under 18 champs he had a real shocking dip in form which he admitted too. So they threw him in defence to mix things up and try and get him involved.

Those athletic types can sometimes be lacking the football brain... sounds like Crozier has both! Very exciting.

I think in a shallow draft we went for players with a bit of X factor. Sheridan seems to have uncanny awareness (football smarts too), Forster (not sure), Neale seems to have something about him (though different).

I guess we could trot out the guys who look good at the u18's against weaker opposition (shallow pool this year), but we took some with something about them...

I'm saying that at some point our drafting strategy should have looked at filling important positions with promising talls. Any time. We've had five goes at it. A future AA quality tall would have been great. Most good clubs can get one after five attempts.

Just cause you've had 5 goes doesnt increase your chances each time. That's simple probability as each chance is discrete.

Does anyone have any footage of when Hayden was interviewed on the footy show?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be nice having Fyfe and Crozier taking hangers everywhere

Hell yeh, no more uncertainty coming out of the backline. Fyfe on one wing, Crozier on the other... the crowd holds its breath... Ibbo stops looking confused and kicks the ball forwards...

And then whoever gets overlooked can hoof it to half forward for the next high kick...

Kersten? Oh wait, we don't like his 'attitude', something reigning premiers Geelong didn't seem to mind.

Other options:

Hurley instead of Hill
Butcher instead of Morabito.

Fair enough - though I think you pull the pin on the best talent at the time this early.

We have yet to see Morabito produce .....I am not unhappy with him on our list - his size and speed is going to be massive for us. Not sure I'd trade Mora for Butcher personally.

Hill - interesting isnt it? I hope Lyon can help him find himself again ....at the moment Hurley-Hill trade you would pull the trigger on.

Lucky we didn't have the number 1 pick - Watts I don't think I would give you any of our rated players for him.

I mean, you can argue Hill and Morabito have shown more so far, but when we have situations of putting Grover on the opposition's second tall, or bringing in a seriously unfit Faulks to play Collingwood - or having Mayne as our full forward - it says there's something seriously wrong with our key position depth.

Dawson, Silvagni, McPharlin ...that is a reasonable starting back 3 KP's. Plus Grover on the 2nd tall was not the issue, Grover on the number 1 small was - this was predominantly due to shithouse coaching.

Pav, Anthony and Bradley - I think if we can get on top in the guts, we will kick a winning score.

Don't forget if we can get a midfield rotation actually happening in 2012 - it helps us back and forward. Defence as Broughton can go back and we stop quick delivery, forward because we can get quick delivery and guys like Fyfe and Sandi can spend more time forward.

Fair enough - though I think you pull the pin on the best talent at the time this early.

We have yet to see Morabito produce .....I am not unhappy with him on our list - his size and speed is going to be massive for us. Not sure I'd trade Mora for Butcher personally.

Hill - interesting isnt it? I hope Lyon can help him find himself again ....at the moment Hurley-Hill trade you would pull the trigger on.

Lucky we didn't have the number 1 pick - Watts I don't think I would give you any of our rated players for him.

Even though I'm carrying on about talls, I wouldn't do this trade. I love Hill too much, he is the talisman of our future. I'm biased but I wouldn't swap him for anyone. I know he isn't the best player in the AFL he just symbolises something to our team.

As for that number 1 pick we would have taken Naitanui and I think we'd be pretty happy with that.

And Morabito is ging to be immense. He is a star.

Even though I'm carrying on about talls, I wouldn't do this trade. I love Hill too much, he is the talisman of our future. I'm biased but I wouldn't swap him for anyone. I know he isn't the best player in the AFL he just symbolises something to our team.

Hopefully you can grow to feel this way about some of our current draftees? :thumbsu:

s**t yeah he does... i remember in 08 and 09 when we started the rebuild and were pretty poor he was the one who gave hope and belief as a skinny kid playing every game and showing signs of pure brilliance

crozier-up-to-his-old-tricks-against-mooroolbark-once-more.jpg

963632-hayden-crozier.jpg

Him and Fyfe will be after the mark of the year prize.

There's another picture of him taking a hang somewhere around the internet when he was 15. I can't remember where I saw it but apparently he's been taking screamers regularly since he took the game up.

There's another picture of him taking a hang somewhere around the internet when he was 15. I can't remember where I saw it but apparently he's been taking screamers regularly since he took the game up.

Yeh I think I saw it...Huge leap! Just wouldn't let me copy and paste it.

There's a whole string of them somewhere on BF - must have been posted by one of his mates. The guy's a committed aerialist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back