Draft Pick 20: Hayden Crozier

Remove this Banner Ad

Has all the tools and attitude to become a very good player for us. Really like the comments on the bonding with the other 1st year group as well. I can sense a bit of will-power in that intake.

Kicking skills for goal is a plus as some of our forwards and mids havn't been that acurate. Really adds score board pressure and has great skills, looks stronger in the shoulders and I hope he keeps his spot. If you can kick 3 goals in your first game back in a while against Geelong at skilled then you have what it takes to be a good/very good AFL player but only time will tell.

Been thinking this for a while, he is very very similar to Paul Chapman (obviously not look wise). Anyone else see it?

Been thinking this for a while, he is very very similar to Paul Chapman (obviously not look wise). Anyone else see it?

Mmm, I'll meet you half way, I can see it to a degree. Croz has nothing of the physical bulk that Chapman had/has - Chappy has always been very strong in his body, Croz doesn't have that bulk ... though the new improved aggressive model that we saw in the second half this year is heading that way in mindset even if not in physical size.

On the other hand, both have a nose for goals, attacking players that are never afraid of the big occasion. Back themselves and deliver - yeah, I see it.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Hopefully his career mirrors that of Chapman, triple premiership player sounds alright to me. :p

Chapman is a gun at kicking goals on the turn / not facing goals, and often (in his prime) from some distance out. Walters has that kind of ability (maybe not the same penetration), not sure Crozier has anywhere near that ability on the turn, though he probably has him covered on the distance.

Mrs just showed me a pic on some social media thing of Croz in front of a house he just purchased in Melbourne.

Hopefully not a sign of a move coming up as I really rate him.

Mrs just showed me a pic on some social media thing of Croz in front of a house he just purchased in Melbourne.

Hopefully not a sign of a move coming up as I really rate him.

If that we're true it would be a very bad sign. He would need a house in the State he lives in first.

Unless it's an investment but it would still be strange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not really a very good time to be buying in Perth with the mining boom winding down. I wouldn't get too worried yet.

I was hoping you might be able to tell me..

Handy player without being a gun, Ballantyne getting suspended and injured means there have been opportunities for him.

He just hasn't grabbed those opportunities,

Cant see him in the middle, more of a half forward role ( my opinion )

Obviously has talent but maybe not getting a regular place in the 22 may have dented his confidence, I'm sure there are some on here who will know more.

I was hoping you might be able to tell me..

If you trawl through this forum you'll find his name comes up a fair bit and there's a whole thread going on about him.

He's turned into a bit of an enigma. He's very talented, but can't put it together with enough consistency to keep established players out. As Peppy said,many have seen his longer term future in the middle, but I think his talent really lends himself to that high-mid/fwd role - in fact it suits him perfectly.He can kick a goal, has great temperament when the heat is on in games, is quick over the ground and has fairly good natural footy brain.

He made big strides two years ago when he worked hard on his defensive and 1% type play and it allowed him to become a fringe 22 - but then it kind of plateaued from there.

FWIW, I think there were some issues last year behind the scenes. For various reasons I really don't want to air them here, but short version is that it's not for lack of talent or even hard work that he hasn't been able to quite get to the top level of things to this point.

There's still lots of time left for him, but we have a lot of talent coming through in his body type and field position - so it's not going to be handed to him that's for sure. Nevertheless, if things fall his way, he could get some regular games again.

Last edited:
We have finally seen a much needed sign that Crozier is still alive and seems keen to get back on track with an outstanding BOG performance for Peel. If he can keep it up you'd expect he'd be pushing for selection very soon.

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 13 disposals (11 kicks), 4 marks, 5 tackles, 1 i50, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 21 disposals (13 kicks), 6 marks, 7 tackles, 4 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 4 - 30 disposals (24 kicks), 5 marks, 8 tackles, 3 i50s, 3 goals

Coaches Comments (WAFL)
Rd 1 - Had a solid game across wing and half forward, finishing with 13 possessions.
Rd 3 - Played midfield and wing and was a very effective in his ball use and gave us a strong contest with seven tackles.
Rd 4 - N/A yet

He has all the tools at his disposal, he just needs to make use of them at AFL level and stay consistent to cement a spot in our B22:
  • Scoreboard - he knows how to kick goals from outside 50, and he also knows how to spear a pass inside 50.
  • Pressure - he has the capability to apply considerable pressure so long as he can maintain a high work rate.
  • Kicking - his left foot has been inconsistent at times but when he's on it's very good.
  • Flexibility - he has the skills to play anywhere from half back through the midfield to half forward.
  • Athletic - he is fast, agile and has a great leap (he had 4 hit outs today!).
It's time for Croz to put his disappointing 2015 behind him and make a claim to be in the B22 in 2016. He may still need at least another game to prove himself at WAFL, but if players don't perform in the derby today he could possibly get a recall for our following game against North. Some exciting news ahead of the derby, only trumped by a fit Morabito slicing it up from half back.

Well he has had very two good games as a half back flanker, giving crucial drive from the bacline and constantly being in the game - can he keep it up? I still wonder what the problem was at the start of the season...and when does his contract come up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back