Did we choose right?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bennell really wasn't that great a midfielder though. I know I'll get slapped down for saying it, but his midfield performance was entirely underwhelming and always has been. His disposal numbers were always high, but his actual impact on the midfield was usually pretty minimal.

He is a sensational half forward, but his focus in the midfield was basically just drifting around the ball getting quick and easy touches without a care for pressure, tackling, or any form of inside work. Seriously, rewatch his games and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Look at Cyril Rioli - has **** all touches, but has the most impact of any player in Hawthorn's list. Bennell generally had 30+ touches but rarely had a game-changing performance relative to his disposal count (excluding games like Geelong 2014, etc). Everybody would get carried away by his stats without really reflecting on his impact on the game itself. Ah Chee will replace Bennell at half forward very effectively without the need to make it into the midfield getting meaningless possessions for seemingly no reason. I can't see anybody being as effective as Bennell as a half-forward, but Ah Chee will still be brilliant for us.

As for Garlett, Matera, and Martin - the only small forward there is Garlett, who plays it perfectly in my eyes. I think it was the Sydney game in round 23 where he excelled at the forward pocket ala Eddie Betts. It made me moist.

Matera is not a small forward. He's kinda found his niche as a high half-forward linking the midfield to the forward line and plays that role very effectively, while Martin (when not injured) can play midfield, half-forward, or even at full-forward (like in the drawn Eagles game) provided somebody like Day or Wright took the main brute role.

Can't argue with that mate! Look forward to seeing how he goes. I'm glad we took a risk this year as we are well positioned for next year's draft. By risk I mean a flashy player who may or may not live up to hype.

As for Bennell, I see your point. Although I did think he was absolutely brilliant, even a midfielder.

Bennell really wasn't that great a midfielder though. I know I'll get slapped down for saying it, but his midfield performance was entirely underwhelming and always has been. His disposal numbers were always high, but his actual impact on the midfield was usually pretty minimal.

He is a sensational half forward, but his focus in the midfield was basically just drifting around the ball getting quick and easy touches without a care for pressure, tackling, or any form of inside work. Seriously, rewatch his games and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Look at Cyril Rioli - has **** all touches, but has the most impact of any player in Hawthorn's list. Bennell generally had 30+ touches but rarely had a game-changing performance relative to his disposal count (excluding games like Geelong 2014, etc). Everybody would get carried away by his stats without really reflecting on his impact on the game itself. Ah Chee will replace Bennell at half forward very effectively without the need to make it into the midfield getting meaningless possessions for seemingly no reason. I can't see anybody being as effective as Bennell as a half-forward, but Ah Chee will still be brilliant for us.

As for Garlett, Matera, and Martin - the only small forward there is Garlett, who plays it perfectly in my eyes. I think it was the Sydney game in round 23 where he excelled at the forward pocket ala Eddie Betts. It made me moist.

Matera is not a small forward. He's kinda found his niche as a high half-forward linking the midfield to the forward line and plays that role very effectively, while Martin (when not injured) can play midfield, half-forward, or even at full-forward (like in the drawn Eagles game) provided somebody like Day or Wright took the main brute role.

This. Ah Chee at the moment is the only player on our list who is a genuine small forward IMO, and even then, he will most likely push up the ground once his fitness builds up. Garlett and Martin can play there and probably will for the bulk of next season, but Garlett is at his best running through the middle (his goal vs Geelong?, also see his draft highlights) and Martin will hopefully finally get some real midfield minutes this season. The Ah Chee pick allows us to rotate the three of them + Touk and Matera, and makes up for the fact that none of them camp inside the 50 all game.

Also, speaking about all these potential rotations and depth in numbers makes me feel things in certain places. :)

No disrespect - but think niether are good enough ....Callum certainly not my # 8 pick ..why do Suns keep going for same type of players ,.outside fringe playing guys.
They had oppotunities at all picks to get dominating keys, but chose not to.
Schoenfeld a very average footballer for all his test times - appears as our new project player ala Wilkinson etc.
Don't know much about Fiorini - but let me guess - forward midfielider with ability to kick goals. I'll wait to be corrected.
We could have had Weidemam, Ben MCkay and others . A responsible club would hedge ther bets- surely - and have at least one tall guy..
If you think we are going to rise up the ladder then you need to to pick tall now- you won' find many talls available if you finish 8.
Again- no disrepect to these young guys selected- but don' t see this draft helping Gaz win a premiership in his time with us ...

We just got a tall last year in two meter peter. Can't throw every 1st pick on talls. Talls take the longest to actually develop and find their way onto the field. Ah Chee is a guy who can contribute in a big way right away, like Touk.

I'm curious, does anyone know how quick Ah Chee is and how that compares to the fastest players in the AFL? Wouldn't mind finding out his vertical leap results as well...

What's your thoughts on Ah Chee after a couple of games and 3 goals to his name? From the same area as him so wanting to see how he was going/get supporter thoughts but missed both games.
didn't really know too much about him, to be honest. was a bit anxious when i heard we were interested, but i guess it made sense with harley leaving. after hearing his interview post-draft, i was pretty confident we made a good choice. seems the right kind of character we needed for our club. certainly didn't expect him to have such an impact already though. his game tonight was very impressive.

didn't really know too much about him, to be honest. was a bit anxious when i heard we were interested, but i guess it made sense with harley leaving. after hearing his interview post-draft, i was pretty confident we made a good choice. seems the right kind of character we needed for our club. certainly didn't expect him to have such an impact already though. his game tonight was very impressive.
Yep just found that Perth has the game delayed so have the last quarter on now.

Had a fairly good start to his career stat wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be a gun. Very good pick-up.
I wonder how many of those who voted NO above are ready to change their vote. Already has possibly the cleanest hands and skills in the team and has shown can play inside / outside midfield. Some of those handballs out of congestion on Saturday night were sublime. Level headed / great work ethic and seems like a genuinely nice kid. Will be a star in a couple of years.

The only pick I would have preferred over him with hindsight is Marcus Adams. But the fact the Bulldogs chose Marcus Adams was an incredibly insightful mature-aged selection and way out of left field.

edit: then again, we could've used Pick 20 for him, so *shrug*. But this is more me having a huge man-crush on Marcus Adams. :p

The only pick I would have preferred over him with hindsight is Marcus Adams. But the fact the Bulldogs chose Marcus Adams was an incredibly insightful mature-aged selection and way out of left field.

edit: then again, we could've used Pick 20 for him, so *shrug*. But this is more me having a huge man-crush on Marcus Adams. :p
Fiorini will be a good player and worth that 20th pick I reckon.

Hard to believe he's still only 18. Has poise and starting to find his feet at this level. Unlike some kids who have experience around him when they start, he's done it the hard way. Averaged 9 possessions a game up to the bye, but this has increased to 15.2 in 7 games since. One talent scout believes he's Andrew McLeod 2.0

'Did we choose right?'
YES - 17
NO - 19! What!? :eek:

And I think I was one of the no's aswell, stupidly. Has really exceeded expectations this season and looks the goods, although I haven't seen much of this vertical leap, which people were saying is one his best qualities. Imagine when he adds that to his game in the seniors!

We seem to have had more hits than misses over the last 2 drafts which is good to see.

Back