Feb 3, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
Pick # 36 has to be a ruckman.

Clarke is nearly 30.

Fitzy and Angwin who are both around 200cm are gone.

There are still question marks regarding Marsh.

We cant afford to go in with 3 ruckmen as we did in 1999, it creates far too much pressure on the team if one or more of em are injured.

I had a look at the ruckmen at the draft camp on the AFL site and these two might be what we are looking for:

Jason L.a.yc.o.c.k.(Tassie Mariners)
Mobile ruckman/forward who is a goalkicker. Strong overhead and quick, clean hands. Made Tasmania Devils (VFL) debut this year. AIS/AFL Academy member
2000/2001. From East Devonport. 4 Nov 84, 195cm

James McEntee (North Adelaide)
Spring heeled and mobile ruckman with strong basketball background. Made
senior debut this year, and was a SA U18 representative in 2002. 14 Jul 84, 195 cm

I don't know if either of these two will still be around or who else is available.

What are the North supporters views regarding McEntee?

Sadly as a Tasmanian Devils member I dont have much info on Lay****. My club is not as informative as they should be, their website and web service need to improve next year.

However, I picked this guy because if we need to go outside SA for a young ruckman he cant complain about going home. Tassie do not have an AFL side and the Tassie lads know they have no choice but move to the mainland. Should avoid the homesickness hassles we have encountered with Gilligan and Angwin.

thoughts?

Jerome

Originally posted by Jerome
Pick # 36 has to be a ruckman.

Jerome

Couldn't agree more with this. While we have 2 good ruckmen, Marsh is a dud but has to be kept in case of injury, so we must provide for the future. Because ruckmen take time to mature your logic about both of these is good. The question is what do we do if they aren't.

Pity we didn't take Jamar last year.

Re: Re: Draft Picks

Originally posted by macca23

Pity we didn't take Jamar last year.

Now he would be great! I was so annoyed when Angwin quit after the pre season draft! we could have got Jamar then no worries!

Jerome

Originally posted by King Crow
Just think we wasted pick #44 on Ben Finnin.

True, although we have turned that into Rockin' Ronnie crumbing up after Carey. However of our 4 draft picks last year Finnin is the one that fired the least this year. Schuback was a regular at Westies and is going to be an AFL player as is Hentschel. Riley struggled a little for a #12 last year but probably will be okay. Jamar should have been the other draft pick because we really needed the young developing ruckman.

I copy and pasted this from the AFL site, it is the ruckmen who attended the draft camp

RUCKMEN
1:05:28 PM Wed 2 October, 2002

CAMP
NO PLAYER (CLUB) DOB HT WT NO
66 Tristan Cartledge (Nth Ballarat Rebels)
Developing ruckman with good leap and strong 2nd efforts. Reads the game well and showed potential representing Vic Country in AFL U18’s this year. 11 Jun 85 195 88 11
67 Paul Johnson (Dandenong Stingrays)
Athletic ruckman/forward who is strong overhead and accurate kick at goal on his preferred left foot. Member AIS/AFL Academy in 2000-2001. Victoria Metro representative this year winning All Australian honours. From Frankston YCW. 26 Jun 84 197 94
68 Jason Lay**** (Tassie Mariners)
Mobile ruckman/forward who is a goalkicker. Strong overhead and quick, clean hands. Made Tasmania Devils (VFL) debut this year. AIS/AFL Academy member 2000/2001. From East Devonport. 4 Nov 84 195 83 25
69 James McEntee (North Adelaide)
Spring heeled and mobile ruckman with strong basketball background. Made senior debut this year, and was a SA U18 representative in 2002. 14 Jul 84 195 84
70 Hamish McIntosh (Murray Bushrangers)
Strong mark and agile player who kicks goals. Victoria Country representative in 2002. From Lavington FC. 4 Sep 84 201 97 27
71 James Meiklejohn (NSW/ACT Rams)
Hard working player with good disposal skills. State U18 ruckman from Eastlake FC in the ACT. 28 Jun 84 197 93 17
72 Daniel Merrett (Southport)
Former Rugby player with less than 12 months experience in football. Made rapid rise to represent Queensland State U18 team this year. Very strong in the contest and overhead. 12 Dec 84 194 90 30
73 Cameron Wight (Calder Cannons)
Developing ruckman with good skills, intensity and agility. From Sunbury. 5 Apr 85 198 82 24

Apart from McIntosh and perhaps Wight, these lads seem to be on the short side of things, especially if they have to go up against the monsters of the game

Never know, some club may delist a ruckman, could pick him up in the Pre-Season Draft

Originally posted by Asgardian

Apart from McIntosh and perhaps Wight, these lads seem to be on the short side of things, especially if they have to go up against the monsters of the game

Never know, some club may delist a ruckman, could pick him up in the Pre-Season Draft

True, which means that we would really need to develop them as key position players. Depth in that area wouldnt hurt but that would also mean we would still be looking at getting some 200cm blokes for the next two years.

If we are going to get someone from interstate, pick someone over 21! Not one of these raw young blokes. Guys over 21 who have had a crack at it would be keener to move and make a go of it here than an 18 year old rookie. They'd be more desperate - they'd know it could be their last chance.

The vics that have succeded here have always been players who have had been traded from other clubs (Stevens, Caven, Ellen).

Jerome

just for the record

The vics that have succeded here have always been players who have had been delisted from other clubs (Stevens, Caven, Ellen).

I just want to point out that Mark Stevens has never been delisted from an AFL club. The Kangaroos traded him because he told them he wanted to go elsewhere and the trade was done for Jason McCartney.

k
xx

Re: just for the record

Originally posted by MarksGirl-kbcrowgirl

I just want to point out that Mark Stevens has never been delisted from an AFL club. The Kangaroos traded him because he told them he wanted to go elsewhere and the trade was done for Jason McCartney.

k
xx

Ditto Caven from Sydney.

Does anyone know much about Tim Nicholas from Norwood? He played for the seconds this season, with a couple of league games thrown in.

At least he's a home-grown boy (I used to go to school with his Dad).... might be worth putting on the rookie list, provided he's not too old.

Corrections have been made!

I agree we need another key defender and ruckmen.

Marsh wanted to go. How keen is he to stay? I don't think three ruckmen are enough.

This just goes to to show the Gilligan/Angwin dramas have cost a key possie player and deleted some depth to our squad. The past 2-4 years should have gone toward developing one of these guys but instead, those two boys have put us back to square one.

Jerome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jerome
Corrections have been made!

I agree we need another key defender and ruckmen.

Marsh wanted to go. How keen is he to stay? I don't think three ruckmen are enough.

This just goes to to show the Gilligan/Angwin dramas have cost a key possie player and deleted some depth to our squad. The past 2-4 years should have gone toward developing one of these guys but instead, those two boys have put us back to square one.

Jerome

I think that Smith and Rutten will be groomed for the extra key defender position, with Hentschel (I like the look of this kid) and Bock being groomed as the next key forwards. However you can never have too many of either of these. Perrie is a reserve for either end, while Schell is still there as a poor substitute for up forward.

Firstly Gilligan and then Angwin have been costly soft tossbags, as we have wasted those prime draft picks and still don't have that young developing ruckman we need. That's why I was so disappointed when we didn't take Jamar last year, as he wouldn't have wanted to go off sooking back home.

This leaves us definitely looking to draft a ruckman, either key forward or defender, and a midfielder, with the 4 th pick saved for either any fall-outs or missed talent in the pre-season draft.

Priority should be a young ruckman with our 1st pick. I would also put a ruckman on the rookie list, to safeguard an injury run against our talls. That would give us more ruck depth than this year given Angwin was a no show.

I reckon Scott Bassett is worth a punt with a later pick. He is still only 24 & will give us another ready made key position player who can play back or forward. This will give us a little more time to develop the younger players such as Rutten, Henschel, Smith, Bock - & also give us more depth in case some of our 1st choice key position players get injured.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Priority should be a young ruckman with our 1st pick. I would also put a ruckman on the rookie list, to safeguard an injury run against our talls. That would give us more ruck depth than this year given Angwin was a no show.

Really good thinking to add the extra ruckman onto the rookie list as insurance.

I reckon Scott Bassett is worth a punt with a later pick. He is still only 24 & will give us another ready made key position player who can play back or forward. This will give us a little more time to develop the younger players such as Rutten, Henschel, Smith, Bock - & also give us more depth in case some of our 1st choice key position players get injured.

Still in 2 minds on this one. Depends on what rate the powers to be at West Lakes think the younger players will develop at. If they think they won't be ready this year, then you're probably right. On the other hand, if they think that they will step up as some others did this year, then I would probably give Bassett the miss.

I'll go along with whatever Ayres, Reidy and crew think - they got it pretty right this year.

Originally posted by macca23

Still in 2 minds on this one. Depends on what rate the powers to be at West Lakes think the younger players will develop at. If they think they won't be ready this year, then you're probably right. On the other hand, if they think that they will step up as some others did this year, then I would probably give Bassett the miss.

I'll go along with whatever Ayres, Reidy and crew think - they got it pretty right this year.
My concern with our key position players, they are mostly very young with the exception of Carey, Stevens & Nathan Bassett. Reckon we could do with another mid-age player, but as you say Reidy & Co will know best.

Hamish McIntosh can play a bit. Very strong overhead, played with the bushrangers. Normally key position forward, but goes into the ruck with ease also. Saw a bit of his play this year. Goes alright. Probably what u need.
PS. I've heard he's still growing! At 201cm, that is scary!

Tredders#16

Originally posted by Tredders#16
Hamish McIntosh can play a bit. Very strong overhead, played with the bushrangers. Normally key position forward, but goes into the ruck with ease also. Saw a bit of his play this year. Goes alright. Probably what u need.
PS. I've heard he's still growing! At 201cm, that is scary!

Tredders#16
Sounds good to me as long as he's not a psycho or likely to get home sick. Reckon he will be still around with our 1st pick?

I know there is no way that he'll be around at #36 but Paul Johnson would be prefect for us.

He is 197cm Ruckman/Forward.

In the U18 championships he got something like 2 BOG's and a second best in the preliminary games. I think I read somewhere that he was in last year's draft but got overlooked. Maybe Porthos if you're reading you could fill us in.:)

Disclaimer: This is all opinion and guesswork

He's an early maturer, and stands out for being such in an u18s league. Whether he could beat men, or these same kids when they're more physically mature is the one big question mark over his head.

Apart from that, could be a good prospect....or could be another Ben Marsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back