News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
tess craven looks nice from the falcons, but surely they would have to take prespakis or rowbottom first depending who they like most, and then hope that stk then don't draft craven and then they can take her with their priority picks
Think Stan might have been the one to raise this but Geelong would be a hard sell for Prespakis or Rowbottom if they didn't want to move there. Doesn't help their cause that they finished stone motherless last on the ladder.

Craven does look the best of the Falcon girls so they might pick her.

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I read that we’re included with a r2 priority and if I understand rightly, we re prohibited from trading r1-5 picks , wtf
Yeah Stan and Tigers Time mentioned it in another thread. Teams below with priority picks in bold below have to use their first pick in the draft and not trade it otherwise they lose those priority picks. Makes sense I guess.

Question is how will Geelong use their #1 Vic pick. I'm not sure using their picks on Geelong falcon girls does them any favours.

Your club's picks

Adelaide
: 17, 34, 49

Brisbane: 18, 35, 50

Carlton: 12, 29, 44

Collingwood: 16, 33, 48

Fremantle: 14, 31, 46

Geelong: 2, 7*, 9*, 20, 37

Gold Coast: 1, 6*, 8*, 19, 36

GWS: 10, 27, 42

Melbourne: 15, 32, 47

North Melbourne: 13, 30, 45

Richmond: 5, 23, 26*, 40

St Kilda: 4, 22, 25*, 39

West Coast: 3, 21, 24*, 38, 41*

Western Bulldogs: 11, 28, 43
From the RFC website
"Richmond currently hold four picks in the 2021 NAB AFL Women's Draft, after receiving a priority selection in the second round last Friday.
The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
So GC, Geelong, WC, Saints and Tigers have to go to the Draft??????
WOW we can't trade any of our picks even if we wanted to

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Think Stan might have been the one to raise this but Geelong would be a hard sell for Prespakis or Rowbottom if they didn't want to move there. Doesn't help their cause that they finished stone motherless last on the ladder.

Craven does look the best of the Falcon girls so they might pick her.
The Cats surely have got an answer from the players and their mangers by now?
Is that why Cats got ridiculous assistance for finishing 2nd last (not last like us last year and only got pick 15) because Prespakis and Rowbottom said no thanks, i'm not playing down sleepy hollow?
I wonder :cool:

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
With pick 5 (Vic pick 3) we sure can get class on outside with speed
Stella Reid OC, Tara Slender BP & Ella Friend GWV, any of these types, who play on the outside (wing/half fwd) would be straight into our best team
So you reckon Geelong and St Kilda go with Prespakis and Rowbottom and we go Reid?

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Just read this on Draft Central from June 7

Richmond’s Trade and Draft selection period will be one to watch, holding the third pick which could shape how the draft forms. With Vic Metro duo Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis likely to land in the opening couple of selections, the Tigers will have the chance to pick between talls or smalls, with some AFL Women’s Academy members such as Tara Slender and Ella Friend providing the height, or potentially look to spoil the party for Geelong who hold the next two Victorian selections, with Falcons inside midfielder Tess Craven, or one of the Oakleigh Chargers standout midfielders in Stella Reid or Amanda Ling.

It will be interesting to see which draft prospects play the rest of VFLW.

I know that Amanda Ling who took out the BOG medal in the U19 NAB Grand Final is playing for Port Melbourne and a good showing against top age players might give her draft prospects a boost. That's the question that is in a recruiters head, yes they can perform against fellow U19's but can they do it consistently at senior level.

Lord of the Wings

Team Captain
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
The Cats surely have got an answer from the players and their mangers by now?
Is that why Cats got ridiculous assistance for finishing 2nd last (not last like us last year and only got pick 15) because Prespakis and Rowbottom said no thanks, i'm not playing down sleepy hollow?
I wonder :cool:
The Geesook assistance package was a stuffen joke. HTF the AFL justified that given what we got last year for not winning a game is beyond me? If that's not a compelling case of the 'boys club' at work then I don't know what is.

It would be justice if both Rowbottom and Presparkis told them we aren't interested.

Lord of the Wings

Team Captain
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Just read this on Draft Central from June 7

Richmond’s Trade and Draft selection period will be one to watch, holding the third pick which could shape how the draft forms. With Vic Metro duo Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis likely to land in the opening couple of selections, the Tigers will have the chance to pick between talls or smalls, with some AFL Women’s Academy members such as Tara Slender and Ella Friend providing the height, or potentially look to spoil the party for Geelong who hold the next two Victorian selections, with Falcons inside midfielder Tess Craven, or one of the Oakleigh Chargers standout midfielders in Stella Reid or Amanda Ling.

It will be interesting to see which draft prospects play the rest of VFLW.

I know that Amanda Ling who took out the BOG medal in the U19 NAB Grand Final is playing for Port Melbourne and a good showing against top age players might give her draft prospects a boost. That's the question that is in a recruiters head, yes they can perform against fellow U19's but can they do it consistently at senior level.
If Rowbottom and Prespakis are gone then our pick will either be Slender and Reid. Slender would have been a standout 3rd pick a few months back but she had a quiet finish to the year and at the same time Reid was going really well. Line ball decision. Personally I'd take Slender as we need a key forward badly, they are rare as hens teeth in AFLW and I think she has a little more class than Reid. I'd be happy with either though

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
So you reckon Geelong and St Kilda go with Prespakis and Rowbottom and we go Reid?
ATM don't know for sure what Geelong will do, in so far as whether they pick Prespakis or Rowbottom
I do know that our 1st pick will shape the next 5 or 6 picks after us
Tara Slender has been touted as the 3rd best player all year with Stella Reid 4-5th best only by the end of year
Slender is a 176cm tall utility where as Reid is a 173cm general utility, meaning Slender can play KPP and mid, Reid more a def/fwd and mid
Having got McKenzie last year a 176cm mid & J.Hosking (mid) & Shevlin (will be a def) this year, sort of answers the question on who we draft
I was leaning towards Reid, but i think now it'll be Slender with a view of replacing Wakefield when she retires
Given the next 2 drafts are going to be severely compromised, we have to nail our 2 x 1st Rd picks this year

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
If Rowbottom and Prespakis are gone then our pick will either be Slender and Reid. Slender would have been a standout 3rd pick a few months back but she had a quiet finish to the year and at the same time Reid was going really well. Line ball decision. Personally I'd take Slender as we need a key forward badly, they are rare as hens teeth in AFLW and I think she has a little more class than Reid. I'd be happy with either though
Yeah i'm leaning towards Slender for the same reason as you Lord of the Wings
She can play KPP and midfield, where as Reid is a non KPP, who plays thru the flanks and midfield
Slender lost 5 games due to injury, that's why her numbers are lowish, but her averages are very good & she was a big influence for VIC Country in the U/18 champ's games
We can get someone similar to Reid with our 2nd 1st pick, like Amanda Ling, Aurora Smith, Brooke Vickers & Eliza James
Slender is a jet with a good history for top performances, KPP or thru the midfield.
She's versatile, tall, good mark, good ball user and smooth as butter through traffic, has great AFLW traits
Wakefield's replacement when she retires.

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

ATM don't know for sure what Geelong will do, in so far as whether they pick Prespakis or Rowbottom
I do know that our 1st pick will shape the next 5 or 6 picks after us
Tara Slender has been touted as the 3rd best player all year with Stella Reid 4-5th best only by the end of year
Slender is a 176cm tall utility where as Reid is a 173cm general utility, meaning Slender can play KPP and mid, Reid more a def/fwd and mid
Having got McKenzie last year a 176cm mid & J.Hosking (mid) & Shevlin (will be a def) this year, sort of answers the question on who we draft
I was leaning towards Reid, but i think now it'll be Slender with a view of replacing Wakefield when she retires
Given the next 2 drafts are going to be severely compromised, we have to nail our 2 x 1st Rd picks this year

Cheers LotW and Stan.

Sounds like we will get a good one regardless which way we go. Good point about Slender playing forward. Imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years. That's a deadly combo.

I like that Reid is also into the 170cms if we pick her. We were badly out bodied in the midfield last year which was partly addressed this year with the additions of Hosking (through sheer aggression rather than size) and McKenzie. Helps Conti heaps too.

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
REVEALED: AFLW Draft date, Combine attendees
THE AFL is pleased to announce the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft will take place at 6.45pm AEST on Tuesday, July 27, 2021.
The NAB AFLW Draft Nomination period will open on Monday, June 21 and close on Friday, July 9.
Clubs are required to nominate any Father/Daughter players by 2pm on Tuesday July 20 with the Club matching period to occur on Wednesday July 21.
The NAB AFLW Draft remains State-based with players who nominate for the Draft electing the State they wish to play in.
Some Clubs also have a specific region within their State to develop talent.
The AFL has announced the names of the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft Combine Invitees, which can be found below.
The NAB AFLW Combine details will be confirmed shortly, with players participating in state-based combine events.
AFL General Manager Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said the talent available in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft will make for an exciting season six of the NAB AFL Women's Competition.
"We look forward to recognising and celebrating the many talented footballers who will be selected as part of the NAB AFLW Draft next month," Ms Livingstone said.
"What we're seeing year on year is great talent coming through women's football pathways across the country, and I can't wait for football fans to witness the next generation of talent to impact the NAB AFLW Competition."
The trade component of the 2021 AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period concluded at 2pm Wednesday June 9, with the current 2021 NAB AFLW Draft order listed below.
The 2021 NAB AFLW Draft order will be confirmed on Friday, June 25 following the final list lodgement for AFLW clubs.
The AFL will continue to closely monitor the COVID situation across the country and aims to confirm details of the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft event in the coming weeks.
draft order.jpg

2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft Combine Invitees
VICTORIA

Amanda Ling 9/07/2002 Oakleigh Chargers
Annie Lee 28/08/2003 Geelong Falcons
Ashleigh Richards 22/10/2003 Dandenong Stingrays
Aurora Smith 13/12/2003 Murray Bushrangers
Brooke Vickers 6/03/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Charlie Rowbottom 22/01/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Chloe Leonard 1/02/2002 GWV Rebels
Eliza James 1/10/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Elizabeth Dowling 31/07/2003 Geelong Falcons
Elizabeth Snell 14/03/2002 Bendigo Pioneers
Ella Friend 30/12/2003 GWV Rebels
Emelia Yassir 25/09/2003 Calder Cannons
Gabbi Featherston 12/11/2003 Geelong Falcons
Georgia Campbell 1/09/2003 Eastern Ranges
Georgie Prespakis 13/03/2003 Calder Cannons
Grace Matser 3/01/2003 Gippsland Power
Imogen Milford 2/12/1999 Casey Demons VFLW
Ingrid Houtsma 20/11/2003 Geelong Falcons
Jaide Anthony 20/11/2003 Dandenong Stingrays
Jemima Woods 28/05/2003 Western Jets
Keeley Sherar 29/10/2003 Eastern Ranges
Maykaylah Appleby 18/07/2003 Northern Knights
Olivia Meagher 10/12/2002 Eastern Ranges
Poppy Schaap 28/07/2003 Geelong Falcons
Stella Reid 10/09/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Tahlia Gillard 12/12/2003 Calder Cannons
Tahlia Meier 19/10/2003 GWV Rebels
Tara Slender 11/03/2003 Bendigo Pioneers
Tarrah Delgado 22/08/2003 Northern Knights
Tess Craven 23/12/2003 Geelong Falcons
Zali Friswell 30/12/2003 Calder Cannons
Nyakoat Dojiok 7/01/2003 GWV Rebels
Cadhla Schmidli 6/06/2003 Eastern Ranges
Maeve Chaplin 22/08/2002 Northern Knights
Sophie Locke 24/04/2001 Port Melbourne VFLW

Imogen Milford who played for our 2019 VFLW is invited, going really well as a FWD
Sophie Locke invited as well from the borough's, the only 2 VFLW players

Stan Judkins

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers LotW and Stan.

Sounds like we will get a good one regardless which way we go. Good point about Slender playing forward. Imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years. That's a deadly combo.

I like that Reid is also into the 170cms if we pick her. We were badly out bodied in the midfield last year which was partly addressed this year with the additions of Hosking (through sheer aggression rather than size) and McKenzie. Helps Conti heaps too.
Yes i can imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years, it's a beautiful thing :cool:
Draft dates & draft combine invites released, i have posted it:)

Remove this Banner Ad