News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

tess craven looks nice from the falcons, but surely they would have to take prespakis or rowbottom first depending who they like most, and then hope that stk then don't draft craven and then they can take her with their priority picks

Think Stan might have been the one to raise this but Geelong would be a hard sell for Prespakis or Rowbottom if they didn't want to move there. Doesn't help their cause that they finished stone motherless last on the ladder.

Craven does look the best of the Falcon girls so they might pick her.

I read that we’re included with a r2 priority and if I understand rightly, we re prohibited from trading r1-5 picks , wtf
Yeah Stan and Tigers Time mentioned it in another thread. Teams below with priority picks in bold below have to use their first pick in the draft and not trade it otherwise they lose those priority picks. Makes sense I guess.

Question is how will Geelong use their #1 Vic pick. I'm not sure using their picks on Geelong falcon girls does them any favours.

Your club's picks

Adelaide
: 17, 34, 49

Brisbane: 18, 35, 50

Carlton: 12, 29, 44

Collingwood: 16, 33, 48

Fremantle: 14, 31, 46

Geelong: 2, 7*, 9*, 20, 37

Gold Coast: 1, 6*, 8*, 19, 36

GWS: 10, 27, 42

Melbourne: 15, 32, 47

North Melbourne: 13, 30, 45

Richmond: 5, 23, 26*, 40

St Kilda: 4, 22, 25*, 39

West Coast: 3, 21, 24*, 38, 41*

Western Bulldogs: 11, 28, 43

From the RFC website
"Richmond currently hold four picks in the 2021 NAB AFL Women's Draft, after receiving a priority selection in the second round last Friday.
The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
So GC, Geelong, WC, Saints and Tigers have to go to the Draft??????
WOW we can't trade any of our picks even if we wanted to

Think Stan might have been the one to raise this but Geelong would be a hard sell for Prespakis or Rowbottom if they didn't want to move there. Doesn't help their cause that they finished stone motherless last on the ladder.

Craven does look the best of the Falcon girls so they might pick her.

The Cats surely have got an answer from the players and their mangers by now?
Is that why Cats got ridiculous assistance for finishing 2nd last (not last like us last year and only got pick 15) because Prespakis and Rowbottom said no thanks, i'm not playing down sleepy hollow?
I wonder :cool:

With pick 5 (Vic pick 3) we sure can get class on outside with speed
Stella Reid OC, Tara Slender BP & Ella Friend GWV, any of these types, who play on the outside (wing/half fwd) would be straight into our best team

So you reckon Geelong and St Kilda go with Prespakis and Rowbottom and we go Reid?

Just read this on Draft Central from June 7

Richmond’s Trade and Draft selection period will be one to watch, holding the third pick which could shape how the draft forms. With Vic Metro duo Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis likely to land in the opening couple of selections, the Tigers will have the chance to pick between talls or smalls, with some AFL Women’s Academy members such as Tara Slender and Ella Friend providing the height, or potentially look to spoil the party for Geelong who hold the next two Victorian selections, with Falcons inside midfielder Tess Craven, or one of the Oakleigh Chargers standout midfielders in Stella Reid or Amanda Ling.

It will be interesting to see which draft prospects play the rest of VFLW.

I know that Amanda Ling who took out the BOG medal in the U19 NAB Grand Final is playing for Port Melbourne and a good showing against top age players might give her draft prospects a boost. That's the question that is in a recruiters head, yes they can perform against fellow U19's but can they do it consistently at senior level.

The Cats surely have got an answer from the players and their mangers by now?
Is that why Cats got ridiculous assistance for finishing 2nd last (not last like us last year and only got pick 15) because Prespakis and Rowbottom said no thanks, i'm not playing down sleepy hollow?
I wonder :cool:

The Geesook assistance package was a stuffen joke. HTF the AFL justified that given what we got last year for not winning a game is beyond me? If that's not a compelling case of the 'boys club' at work then I don't know what is.

It would be justice if both Rowbottom and Presparkis told them we aren't interested.

Just read this on Draft Central from June 7

Richmond’s Trade and Draft selection period will be one to watch, holding the third pick which could shape how the draft forms. With Vic Metro duo Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis likely to land in the opening couple of selections, the Tigers will have the chance to pick between talls or smalls, with some AFL Women’s Academy members such as Tara Slender and Ella Friend providing the height, or potentially look to spoil the party for Geelong who hold the next two Victorian selections, with Falcons inside midfielder Tess Craven, or one of the Oakleigh Chargers standout midfielders in Stella Reid or Amanda Ling.

It will be interesting to see which draft prospects play the rest of VFLW.

I know that Amanda Ling who took out the BOG medal in the U19 NAB Grand Final is playing for Port Melbourne and a good showing against top age players might give her draft prospects a boost. That's the question that is in a recruiters head, yes they can perform against fellow U19's but can they do it consistently at senior level.

If Rowbottom and Prespakis are gone then our pick will either be Slender and Reid. Slender would have been a standout 3rd pick a few months back but she had a quiet finish to the year and at the same time Reid was going really well. Line ball decision. Personally I'd take Slender as we need a key forward badly, they are rare as hens teeth in AFLW and I think she has a little more class than Reid. I'd be happy with either though

So you reckon Geelong and St Kilda go with Prespakis and Rowbottom and we go Reid?

ATM don't know for sure what Geelong will do, in so far as whether they pick Prespakis or Rowbottom
I do know that our 1st pick will shape the next 5 or 6 picks after us
Tara Slender has been touted as the 3rd best player all year with Stella Reid 4-5th best only by the end of year
Slender is a 176cm tall utility where as Reid is a 173cm general utility, meaning Slender can play KPP and mid, Reid more a def/fwd and mid
Having got McKenzie last year a 176cm mid & J.Hosking (mid) & Shevlin (will be a def) this year, sort of answers the question on who we draft
I was leaning towards Reid, but i think now it'll be Slender with a view of replacing Wakefield when she retires
Given the next 2 drafts are going to be severely compromised, we have to nail our 2 x 1st Rd picks this year

If Rowbottom and Prespakis are gone then our pick will either be Slender and Reid. Slender would have been a standout 3rd pick a few months back but she had a quiet finish to the year and at the same time Reid was going really well. Line ball decision. Personally I'd take Slender as we need a key forward badly, they are rare as hens teeth in AFLW and I think she has a little more class than Reid. I'd be happy with either though

Yeah i'm leaning towards Slender for the same reason as you Lord of the Wings
She can play KPP and midfield, where as Reid is a non KPP, who plays thru the flanks and midfield
Slender lost 5 games due to injury, that's why her numbers are lowish, but her averages are very good & she was a big influence for VIC Country in the U/18 champ's games
We can get someone similar to Reid with our 2nd 1st pick, like Amanda Ling, Aurora Smith, Brooke Vickers & Eliza James
Slender is a jet with a good history for top performances, KPP or thru the midfield.
She's versatile, tall, good mark, good ball user and smooth as butter through traffic, has great AFLW traits
Wakefield's replacement when she retires.

ATM don't know for sure what Geelong will do, in so far as whether they pick Prespakis or Rowbottom
I do know that our 1st pick will shape the next 5 or 6 picks after us
Tara Slender has been touted as the 3rd best player all year with Stella Reid 4-5th best only by the end of year
Slender is a 176cm tall utility where as Reid is a 173cm general utility, meaning Slender can play KPP and mid, Reid more a def/fwd and mid
Having got McKenzie last year a 176cm mid & J.Hosking (mid) & Shevlin (will be a def) this year, sort of answers the question on who we draft
I was leaning towards Reid, but i think now it'll be Slender with a view of replacing Wakefield when she retires
Given the next 2 drafts are going to be severely compromised, we have to nail our 2 x 1st Rd picks this year

Cheers LotW and Stan.

Sounds like we will get a good one regardless which way we go. Good point about Slender playing forward. Imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years. That's a deadly combo.

I like that Reid is also into the 170cms if we pick her. We were badly out bodied in the midfield last year which was partly addressed this year with the additions of Hosking (through sheer aggression rather than size) and McKenzie. Helps Conti heaps too.

REVEALED: AFLW Draft date, Combine attendees
THE AFL is pleased to announce the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft will take place at 6.45pm AEST on Tuesday, July 27, 2021.
The NAB AFLW Draft Nomination period will open on Monday, June 21 and close on Friday, July 9.
Clubs are required to nominate any Father/Daughter players by 2pm on Tuesday July 20 with the Club matching period to occur on Wednesday July 21.
The NAB AFLW Draft remains State-based with players who nominate for the Draft electing the State they wish to play in.
Some Clubs also have a specific region within their State to develop talent.
The AFL has announced the names of the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft Combine Invitees, which can be found below.
The NAB AFLW Combine details will be confirmed shortly, with players participating in state-based combine events.
AFL General Manager Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said the talent available in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft will make for an exciting season six of the NAB AFL Women's Competition.
"We look forward to recognising and celebrating the many talented footballers who will be selected as part of the NAB AFLW Draft next month," Ms Livingstone said.
"What we're seeing year on year is great talent coming through women's football pathways across the country, and I can't wait for football fans to witness the next generation of talent to impact the NAB AFLW Competition."
The trade component of the 2021 AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period concluded at 2pm Wednesday June 9, with the current 2021 NAB AFLW Draft order listed below.
The 2021 NAB AFLW Draft order will be confirmed on Friday, June 25 following the final list lodgement for AFLW clubs.
The AFL will continue to closely monitor the COVID situation across the country and aims to confirm details of the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft event in the coming weeks.
draft order.jpg
2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft Combine Invitees
VICTORIA

Amanda Ling 9/07/2002 Oakleigh Chargers
Annie Lee 28/08/2003 Geelong Falcons
Ashleigh Richards 22/10/2003 Dandenong Stingrays
Aurora Smith 13/12/2003 Murray Bushrangers
Brooke Vickers 6/03/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Charlie Rowbottom 22/01/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Chloe Leonard 1/02/2002 GWV Rebels
Eliza James 1/10/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Elizabeth Dowling 31/07/2003 Geelong Falcons
Elizabeth Snell 14/03/2002 Bendigo Pioneers
Ella Friend 30/12/2003 GWV Rebels
Emelia Yassir 25/09/2003 Calder Cannons
Gabbi Featherston 12/11/2003 Geelong Falcons
Georgia Campbell 1/09/2003 Eastern Ranges
Georgie Prespakis 13/03/2003 Calder Cannons
Grace Matser 3/01/2003 Gippsland Power
Imogen Milford 2/12/1999 Casey Demons VFLW
Ingrid Houtsma 20/11/2003 Geelong Falcons
Jaide Anthony 20/11/2003 Dandenong Stingrays
Jemima Woods 28/05/2003 Western Jets
Keeley Sherar 29/10/2003 Eastern Ranges
Maykaylah Appleby 18/07/2003 Northern Knights
Olivia Meagher 10/12/2002 Eastern Ranges
Poppy Schaap 28/07/2003 Geelong Falcons
Stella Reid 10/09/2003 Oakleigh Chargers
Tahlia Gillard 12/12/2003 Calder Cannons
Tahlia Meier 19/10/2003 GWV Rebels
Tara Slender 11/03/2003 Bendigo Pioneers
Tarrah Delgado 22/08/2003 Northern Knights
Tess Craven 23/12/2003 Geelong Falcons
Zali Friswell 30/12/2003 Calder Cannons
Nyakoat Dojiok 7/01/2003 GWV Rebels
Cadhla Schmidli 6/06/2003 Eastern Ranges
Maeve Chaplin 22/08/2002 Northern Knights
Sophie Locke 24/04/2001 Port Melbourne VFLW

Imogen Milford who played for our 2019 VFLW is invited, going really well as a FWD
Sophie Locke invited as well from the borough's, the only 2 VFLW players

Cheers LotW and Stan.

Sounds like we will get a good one regardless which way we go. Good point about Slender playing forward. Imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years. That's a deadly combo.

I like that Reid is also into the 170cms if we pick her. We were badly out bodied in the midfield last year which was partly addressed this year with the additions of Hosking (through sheer aggression rather than size) and McKenzie. Helps Conti heaps too.

Yes i can imagine Slender and McKenzie rotating mid/forward for the next 10 years, it's a beautiful thing :cool:
Draft dates & draft combine invites released, i have posted it:)

A few of the top draft prospects on show in the first week of VFLW finals. Other than Prespakis who is a standout, others had quieter games.
No doubt playing with better players around them will make a massive difference, however, other than Prespakis and Rowbottom, the talent coming into AFLW in this years draft will need some time.

Georgie Prespakis
Essendon

14 Disposals
0.1 Score
0 Marks
10 Tackles
0 Hit outs

Tara Slender
Essendon
3 Disposals
1.0 Score
1 Marks
1 Tackles
0 Hit outs

Tahlia Gillard
Essendon
1 Disposals
0.0 Score
0 Marks
6 Tackles
17 Hit outs

Emelia Yassir
Essendon
5 Disposals
0.0 Score
0 Marks
2 Tackles
0 Hit outs

Amanda Ling
Port
8 Disposals
0.0 Score
0 Marks
5 Tackles
0 Hit outs

Jaide Anthony
Port
2 Disposals
0.0 Score
0 Marks
3 Tackles
0 Hit outs

Aurora Smith
Port
8 Disposals
0.0 Score
0 Marks
3 Tackles
0 Hit outs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s some talent in that list.

You’re absolutely right TM2, factors like better players around them, also knowing a system. Agree Prespakis stood out, she is a special player, like our Ellie Mac, both young stars who were/are overdue in their draft year to play and impact against women. For the rest of the mere mortals in this draft crop, they’re matching up against players longer in a system, more experienced with more mature bodies who can rack up the possessions. As you say, expectation of their performance has to be relevant to time in system for their talent to break through. If we are looking to draft midfielders then I don’t think it will take too long, You only have to look at young players like Tyla Hanks and Amy McDonald for example to see how significant growth can happen over a couple of seasons.

Whoever we draft will be in the right environment to hopefully reach their potential just as quickly.

REVEALED: U19 All-Australian team, 16-year-old gun the national MVP

swifkvoO.jpg

WA young gun Ella Roberts shows off her medal as the state's most valuable player after the 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships. Picture: AFL Photos

THE AFL has today announced 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships All-Australian Team.

The 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships showcased the most talented young female footballers from across the country and provided them the opportunity to showcase their skills against the best.

The team was selected with 18 players on the field and four interchange players with players selected in their best positions.

The 2021 NAB Player of the Championships Medal was awarded to Western Australia’s Ella Roberts. The 16-year-old Margaret River Senior High School student had a game-high 31 disposals, six inside 50s and two goals in game two against Victoria Metro. Roberts is eligible for the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan said selection in the NAB AFLW U19 All-Australian Team was a significant honour.

"These girls represent the best young female footballers in the country," Sheehan said.

"It was a wonderful experience to see first-hand the emerging future stars of the AFLW competition playing and they highlight the quality of talent coming through the national pathway programs.

"The players selected have the exciting combination of elite athleticism, fundamental skills and plenty of X-factor to have earned their recognition as an NAB AFLW All-Australian.

"Four of the selected players are precocious talents being younger than Draft age with NAB AFLW U19 Championships Player of the Championships Ella Roberts, as well as South Australia’s Lauren Young, Victoria Country’s Paige Scott and Allies MVP winner Cynthia Hamilton. All girls will be eligible to play in these Championships again next year ahead of the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

"We look forward to watching the progression of this extremely talented group of girls into the NAB AFLW competition and their impact in future years."

TVLgVITT.jpg

Lauren Young in action for South Australia during the 2021 AFLW U19 Championships at Trevor Barker Oval on April 15, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

Victoria Country Head Coach Mel Hickey was selected as the All-Australian coach and congratulated all girls on their selection.

"This is a fantastic achievement and recognition for these young athletes. It’s been a delight to watch the quality and standard of football improve so much over the years at this age level," Hickey said.

"I can’t wait to see their football journeys continue with the AFLW draft later this month as all girls have a big future in the game."

DEFENDERS
Chloe Leonard
(Victoria Country/GWV Rebels)
Date of Birth 01/02/02
Height 167cm
Showed dash and excelled in the contest averaging 17.5 disposals (10 contested possessions) and 5.5 tackles to help hold the opposition to only six goals over the two Championship matches. Has emerged from Ballarat Swans Football Club.

Isadora McLeay (Allies/NSW-ACT, Sydney Swans Academy)
Date of Birth 18/09/03
Height 178cm
Versatile defender who also went forward and showed clean hands overhead and used the ball extremely well by hand and foot. Averaged 16.5 disposals (12.5 contested) 2.5 rebound 50s and kicked a goal when forward. A product of the North Shore Bombers.

Jaide Anthony (Victoria Country/ Dandenong Stingrays)
Date of Birth 20/11/03
Height 165cm
Ultra-consistent defender who runs hard and straight in her attack on the ball having an excellent Championship, averaging 14.5 disposals (seven contested possessions) and three tackles. Indigenous youngster who topped off great performances in the Championship winning Victoria Country’s MVP award. Emerged from Mount Martha Football Club and has represented Victoria Country in cricket.

Maggie Harmer (Queensland/Maroochydore)
Date of Birth 12/04/03
Height 170cm
Smooth-moving defender who marks well overhead and shows good speed out of defence. Linked up well rebounding for her team having 15 disposals (eight contested) five marks and five tackles in an eye-catching performance against Victoria Country being one of Queensland’s best players. Member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Lauren Young (South Australia/South Adelaide)
Date of Birth 15/09/05
Height 179cm
Strong marking and aggressive defender who can also push into midfield winning the ball in contests and excelling one on one. From Goodwood Saints Football Club and was outstanding in the Championship averaging 33 disposals (19.5 contested possessions) three marks, 2.5 rebound 50s and eight tackles to win South Australia’s MVP despite not turning 16 years of age until September 2021.

Annie Lee (Victoria Country/Geelong Falcons)
Date of Birth 28/08/03
Height 163cm
Small defender whose intercept marking and ball use on the way out features of her game in the Championships. Averaged 11 disposals (64 per cent efficiency), four marks and three tackles in a rock-solid performance for Victoria Country. A one-touch player with good composure under pressure, she made good decisions with the ball in hand. A three time best and fairest winner at underage level from the Geelong Amateurs.

MIDFIELDERS
Aurora Smith
(Victoria Country/Murray Bushrangers)
Date of Birth 13/12/03
Height 165cm
Winger with blistering speed and ability to win the ball in a contest. Strong overhead showing courage and clean hands she had an outstanding Championship averaging 20 disposals (10 contested possessions) 2.5 marks, three clearances and 2.5 tackles. Also won the Daisy Pearce Medal as the best and fairest player with the Bushrangers, she hails from Shepparton United.

Teagan Levi (Queensland/Bond University)
Date of Birth 14/08/03
Height 169cm
Midfielder who is a prolific ball-winner and has a neat step through traffic. Super athletic player with speed, agility, strength in one-on-ones and was a standout against Victoria Country having 17 disposals and laying nine tackles. A multi-sports athlete being a national level Rugby 7s player, she is also a member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Courtney Rowley (Western Australia/ Peel Thunder)
Date of Birth 24/09/03
Height 167cm
Prolific ball-winning midfielder who can play inside or outside. Very athletic type who gets to multiple contests using her speed and endurance combination to great effect averaging 26 disposals (16.5 contested possessions) 7.5 tackles and 2.5 marks in the Championships. A best and fairest winner for Peel last year in a premiership year, she hails from the Mandurah Mustangs and is a member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Zoe Prowse (South Australia/Sturt)
Date of Birth 03/07/03
Height 177cm
Athletic ruck with terrific natural leap and craft who follows up extremely well at ground level. From Mount Lofty Football Club and already a best and fairest winner at Sturt Football Club last year, she was outstanding in the Championships averaging 17.5 disposals 4.5 marks, 2.5 inside 50s and 20 hitouts. Another member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Charlie Rowbottom (Victoria Metro/ Oakleigh Chargers)
Date of Birth 22/01/03
Height 179cm
Powerful midfielder who also goes forward to become a dangerous marking target and goalkicker. Excellent one-on-one player and natural leader no doubt inspired by her brother James who is an AFL star with the Sydney Swans. Averaged 20.5 disposals (11.5 contested possessions) three marks, five tackles and 4.5 clearances against Victoria Country and Western Australia in standout performances. Has emerged from St Kevin’s Old Boys/Loreto FC and is a current member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Georgie Prespakis (Victoria Metro/Calder Cannons)
Date of Birth 13/03/03
Height 168cm
Exciting midfielder who excels in the contest at stoppages and kicks with penetration. Strong overhead and an aggressive tackler, she averaged 28 disposals (20 contested) four marks, eight tackles and 8.5 clearances in matches against Victoria Country and WA. She hails from the Sunbury Lions Football with her sister Madison, a current superstar with Carlton, no doubt inspiring her on the journey towards the AFLW. Another current member of the NAB AFL Academy.

FORWARDS
Jess Doyle
(Allies/NSW-ACT/Sydney Swans Academy)
Date of Birth 14/09/03
Height 170cm
Athletic forward who reads the game well and has innate goal sense. A product of the Manly-Warringah Wolves in the Premier Sydney Football league she averaged 17.5 disposals and 4.5 marks to be a consistent and dangerous player up forward for the Allies in the Championships. A member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Ella Roberts (Western Australia/Peel Thunder)
Date of Birth 17/12/04
Height 175cm
Exciting forward originally from Busselton Football Club who can also play midfield using her elite skillset and athleticism winning the ball overhead and at ground level. Although not turning 17 years until December 2021 she won WA’s MVP averaging 24 disposals, five marks and three tackles in an outstanding individual performance which also had her winning the Championships' overall best and fairest award. Already a senior premiership player at Peel in 2020 as a 15-year-old, she has all the attributes to be an AFLW star going forward.

Stella Reid (Victoria Metro/Oakleigh Chargers)
Date of Birth 10/09/03
Height 173cm
Left-footed half-forward who can also play on the wing using her running ability and game sense to win the ball. Strong overhead for her size and very dangerous around goals, she excelled in Championships averaging 20 disposals (8.5 contested) and 5.3 marks as well as kicking two goals in matches against Victoria Country and Western Australia. A product of the Kew Comets FC.

Paige Scott (Victoria Country/GWV Rebels)
Date of Birth 25/06/04
Height 166cm
Powerful forward with speed and strength who turns her opponents inside out with her change of direction. Very dangerous around goal she kicked five goals, six behinds in the two Championship matches to be her side's most important forward averaging 11.5 disposals and 3.5 tackles. Only turned 17 years in June 2021 she has emerged from the Carisbrook Redbacks and is a state cross country representative.

Cynthia Hamilton (Allies/NSW-ACT/ GWS Giants Academy)
Date of Birth 02/04/04
Height 178cm
Highly skilled forward with a sharp competitive edge and capable in midfield where she excels at stoppages. Outstanding for the Allies in both matches averaging 21.5 disposals (13.5 contested) 10 tackles, five inside 50s and kicked two goals despite having just turned 17 and won her team’s MVP award in the Championships. Also plays football for Queanbeyan in the ACT.

Georgia Campbell (Victoria Metro/Eastern Rangers)
Date of Birth 01/09/03
Height 180cm
Exciting key forward/ruck who is athletic and wins the ball in the air and at ground level. Father Adrian played for both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs so is eligible to sign for either team under the Draft rules. Originally from the Knox Falcons Football Club she also has won the state title in the high jump at Under 16s level confirming her elite natural leap. Averaged 12 disposals (6.5 contested) 2.5 marks in matches against Victoria Country and Western Australia.

INTERCHANGE
Makaela Tuhakaraina
(Western Australia/South Fremantle)
Date of Birth 23/08/03
Height 156cm
Explosive small forward from Jandakot Football Club, it is her neat step through traffic which caught the eye in creating opportunities for her team in the Championships. Wins her own ball averaging 14.5 disposals (10.5 contested) and three tackles to be a real livewire for her side. From New Zealand and a newcomer to the game from a rugby and tennis background, she has significant upside with her natural ball sense.

Tahlia Gillard (Victoria Metro/Calder Cannons)
Date of Birth 12/12/03
Height 190cm
Ruck still developing her craft at stoppages and is mobile and very capable overhead. Emerging from the Essendon Douta Stars, she was very prominent in Victoria Metro’s win over Western Australia after also leading her team in the ruck against Victoria Country averaging 12.5 disposals, 15 hitouts and three marks across the two games. Another member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Tara Slender (Victoria Country/Bendigo Pioneers)
Date of Birth 11/03/03
Height 175cm
Key forward from Strathfieldsaye Storm who can also play midfield or in defence. A left footer who is strong overhead and athletic, averaged 10 disposals and 2.5 marks in the Championships. A girl not to mess with she also is a seven-time national champion in karate! A current member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Zoe Venning (South Australia/West Adelaide)
Date of Birth 4/11/03
Height 168cm
Midfielder who was a stoppage star in the Championships showing cleans hands and composure in setting up the play from midfield averaging 20 disposals and eight tackles against Victoria Country and the Allies to be one of her side's consistent ball winners. Her work ethic and endurance were also assets for this AFLW prospect who has progressed through Blackwood Football Club.

COACH
Melissa Hickey (Victoria Country/Geelong Falcons)

Former AFLW player with Geelong who was coach of the unbeaten Victorian Country Under-19s team.

MVP AWARDS
Allies:
Cynthia Hamilton
South Australia: Lauren Young
Queensland: Abby Hewitt
Western Australia: Ella Roberts
Victoria Country: Jaide Anthony
Victoria Metro: TBA
NAB Player of the Championships: Ella Roberts

SELECTORS
Kevin Sheehan (Chair, AFL)
Tarkyn Lockyer (AFL)
Sam Virgo (Queensland/Gold Coast SUNS)
Trent Mosbey (Richmond)
Todd Patterson (Melbourne)
Jess Smith (AFL)

With the final match between Victoria Metro and Queensland unable to proceed, selectors considered Victoria Metro players' performances in the NAB AFLW Challenge match against Victoria Country in March. Queensland players performance were judged from one match played against Victoria Country.

I know others have put up Stella Reid as a possible option for our Vic pick #3.

Not sure who has given the player reviews above but the article does quote Kevin Sheahan and Mel Hickey so it might have been from them. Can't be sure.

My issue is that Stella Reid is quoted as a "half-forward who can also play on the wing". Now that could be massively underselling Stella but I'm not sure anyone is willing to part with #3 for a half forward.

Pick 3 is proper mid or quality key forward territory. Nothing less.

Not sure who has given the player reviews above but the article does quote Kevin Sheahan and Mel Hickey so it might have been from them. Can't be sure.

My issue is that Stella Reid is quoted as a "half-forward who can also play on the wing". Now that could be massively underselling Stella but I'm not sure anyone is willing to part with #3 for a half forward.

She is taller than most in that role though at 173 - Prepakis won't fall to us - our only hope is Rowbottom does - everyone else can be written up a little bit like Reid who is far from a problem pick if we do go that way. Personally I wouldn't be unhappy with Emelia Yassir (won't be there for our second pick) - will develop into an elite small forward I think and we miss one of those (a consistent one anyway!). Or Tara Slender.

She is taller than most in that role though at 173 - Prepakis won't fall to us - our only hope is Rowbottom does - everyone else can be written up a little bit like Reid who is far from a problem pick if we do go that way. Personally I wouldn't be unhappy with Emelia Yassir (won't be there for our second pick) - will develop into an elite small forward I think and we miss one of those (a consistent one anyway!). Or Tara Slender.

Firstly that write up in the U/18 AA is because Reid was selected as a FWD, she is a medium Utility, plays HB/HF & outside mid, a give and go player with serious speed, long kick & great ball use
I would consider Reid as a Midfielder for sure as well as Yassir, both aren't pure FWDs as such
I'll put on my draft whisperer hat on and say
1. Georgie Prespakis & Rowbottom will go 1 & 2 in Vic picks, but good luck to Geelong & StKilda as Essendon/Hawthorn will go hard for both as well as Georgia Patrikious & Maddie Prespakis
2. Having a look at our list & trading in Jess Hosking, Maddie Shevlin & Poppy Kelly our backline & midfield look fairly good, forwardline not so good, especially with Wakefield near to the end of her career
3. I've narrowed our 1st selection to either Tara Slender or Ella Friend, both left footers, contested marking KP players who can rotate thru the midfield
& perfect long term Wakefield replacements
4. our 2nd pick will be best available , not a need basis selection, which will include players such as Emelia Yassir, Aurora Smith, Jaide Anthony, Nyakoat Dojiok, Amanda Ling & my favoured player for this pick Ingrid Houtsma a 176cm utility whose Key strengths are Versatility, X-factor, athleticism & marking
GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Firstly that write up in the U/18 AA is because Reid was selected as a FWD, she is a medium Utility, plays HB/HF & outside mid, a give and go player with serious speed, long kick & great ball use
I would consider Reid as a Midfielder for sure as well as Yassir, both aren't pure FWDs as such
I'll put on my draft whisperer hat on and say
1. Georgie Prespakis & Rowbottom will go 1 & 2 in Vic picks, but good luck to Geelong & StKilda as Essendon/Hawthorn will go hard for both as well as Georgia Patrikious & Maddie Prespakis
2. Having a look at our list & trading in Jess Hosking, Maddie Shevlin & Poppy Kelly our backline & midfield look fairly good, forwardline not so good, especially with Wakefield near to the end of her career
3. I've narrowed our 1st selection to either Tara Slender or Ella Friend, both left footers, contested marking KP players who can rotate thru the midfield
& perfect long term Wakefield replacements
4. our 2nd pick will be best available , not a need basis selection, which will include players such as Emelia Yassir, Aurora Smith, Jaide Anthony, Nyakoat Dojiok, Amanda Ling & my favoured player for this pick Ingrid Houtsma a 176cm utility whose Key strengths are Versatility, X-factor, athleticism & marking
GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS!!!!!!!!

Will watch this play out with interest - in Kate Sheahan we must trust 😱

if only one of geelong/stk were silly enough to let rowbottom through it would make me so happy to have her and mckenzie rotating fwd and mid

other than that im on the slender train as a prospect, definitely won't be ready for season 2021/2022 but hopefully can benefit from a professional team around her on and off the field. would love her as a fwd/mid, or just a fwd that also gets around the ground

Whoever I want with our picks the one certainty is that it won’t be what our recruiters do. Last year the consensus on here was Ellie at #1 and this year the two clear standouts are just out of our reach, however talent wise our first two picks will greatly add to our list whoever we take. I hope we draft Tara Slender with our 1st, we've lost a number of forwards with our trade/list changes and Tara makes sense here, and then with our 2nd pick we add to our midfield depth with any of Amanda Ling, Emelia Yassir, Aurora Smith or Ella Friend. It should be a successful draft in upgrading our list, even with our two later picks there should be some state league players there who will improve on our 2020 list.

Whoever I want with our picks the one certainty is that it won’t be what our recruiters do. Last year the consensus on here was Ellie at #1 and this year the two clear standouts are just out of our reach, however talent wise our first two picks will greatly add to our list whoever we take. I hope we draft Tara Slender with our 1st, we've lost a number of forwards with our trade/list changes and Tara makes sense here, and then with our 2nd pick we add to our midfield depth with any of Amanda Ling, Emelia Yassir, Aurora Smith or Ella Friend. It should be a successful draft in upgrading our list, even with our two later picks there should be some state league players there who will improve on our 2020 list.

With Trent Mosbey (Richmond AFLW recruiting manager) being one of the U/18 AA selectors, i'm 99% confident that Tara Slender's name will be read out as our 1st selection
Not really fussed to be honest who else we pick after that as we aren't that pressed for our draftee's to make an impact this season, given our list looks pretty decent as it is
I've been wondering if we will nominate Jorja Livingstone (Eastern Ranges) as our 1st ever Father/Daughter selection, would be a special moment for Jorja & her father Tim (our AFL General Manager Football Performance)

I reckon with our list profile , KB 30 soon I’m pretty sure, that a talented tall would be the go. Hope though that we can get a talented mid too that is capable of playing some footy . Jess H may help there I imagine. Tall it is

Heard that "best available talent" line trotted out a few times by Kate Sheahan so parking our "needs" to one side the question is who fits the "best talent" criteria?

Below is a repost of the likely candidates for that #3 pick in order of their Draft Central Power Rankings. Would be staggered if one of the below don't get their name read out at #3. That's of course, that Prespakis and Rowbottom go #1 and #2. Both St Kilda and Geelong have stated they are going to take the best talent and back themselves to retain them beyond the initial 2 years.

#3 Tara Slender (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
03/11/2003 | 175cm
Tall Utility

Key strengths:
Versatility, contested marking, footy smarts, positioning

Despite a somewhat interrupted season for the AFL Women’s Academy member, playing only the five games due to injury and AFLW Under 19s Championships commitments, Slender still showed why she is a top-end prospect; stepping up from her role as a rebounding intercept defender, to be a forward and midfielder this year in a remarkable display of versatility. Arguably the NAB League Girls’ Most Valuable Player for her side, the Pioneers were a far better team with her in it, and averaging a massive 4.2 marks as well as 5.2 tackles along with her 16.2 disposals shows she has no trouble winning the ball in the air, one-on-one or at ground level. A natural leader co-captaining the Pioneers, Slender could fill any role at AFL Women’s level and has some great upside for the future as well.

Link to very short highlights video

#4 Stella Reid (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
10/09/2003 | 173cm
Medium Utility

Key strengths:
Versatility, spread, skills, goal sense

A natural ball-winner with a slick left foot and smooth-moving ability, Reid has proven she can play on all three lines of the field. Starting off half-back and pushing up to a wing, Reid finished her season up forward and ended up slotting 15 goals in 11 games, including three in Oakleigh’s premiership win. She averaged 1.4 goals for the season from 20.1 disposals, 4.5 marks and 3.2 inside 50s per game, looked to as a key player to move the ball in transition. She used it well by hand or foot and was able to find space with ease. Multiple times a game Reid would make you wonder how she got in so much space even when tearing it up, but credit to her work rate and smarts to be able to find the open space and then punish the opposition through either her disposal or on the scoreboard.

#5 Ella Friend (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
30/12/2003 | 175cm
Tall Forward/Wing

Key strengths:
Contested marking, mobility, upside, penetrating kick

The top contested marking player in the draft crop, Friend will be a highly sought after talent for her ability to not only clunk the big grabs, but use her penetrating left boot in both the midfield and forward lines. Transitioning from centre half-forward to a wing in the second half of the season, Friend showcased her mobility and her knack for for winning the ball in multiple areas of the field. Only two days away from being a bottom-ager, expect Friend to have plenty of upside left in her and would be a great target for a team needing a key target up forward who can also work hard up the ground. She averaged the 16.0 disposals, 4.3 marks and 2.9 tackles per game in the 2021 season, and slotted two goals on debut for the Western Bulldogs’ VFLW side. A good size at 175cm to play anywhere on the ground.

Keen to watch this VFLW R13 game Collingwood v Western Bulldogs when I get a chance.

Stella Reid (#66) was selected on the Collingwood full back line (not sure if she played there) and was named among the best in the Pies big win (11.6.72 to 1.2.8). Ella Friend (#60) was named at FF for the Dogs.

Last edited:
Heard that "best available talent" line trotted out a few times by Kate Sheahan so parking our "needs" to one side the question is who fits the "best talent" criteria?

Below is a repost of the likely candidates for that #3 pick in order of their Draft Central Power Rankings. Would be staggered if one of the below don't get their name read out at #3. That's of course, that Prespakis and Rowbottom go #1 and #2. Both St Kilda and Geelong have stated they are going to take the best talent and back themselves to retain them beyond the initial 2 years.

#3 Tara Slender (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
03/11/2003 | 175cm
Tall Utility

Key strengths:
Versatility, contested marking, footy smarts, positioning

Despite a somewhat interrupted season for the AFL Women’s Academy member, playing only the five games due to injury and AFLW Under 19s Championships commitments, Slender still showed why she is a top-end prospect; stepping up from her role as a rebounding intercept defender, to be a forward and midfielder this year in a remarkable display of versatility. Arguably the NAB League Girls’ Most Valuable Player for her side, the Pioneers were a far better team with her in it, and averaging a massive 4.2 marks as well as 5.2 tackles along with her 16.2 disposals shows she has no trouble winning the ball in the air, one-on-one or at ground level. A natural leader co-captaining the Pioneers, Slender could fill any role at AFL Women’s level and has some great upside for the future as well.

#4 Stella Reid (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
10/09/2003 | 173cm
Medium Utility

Key strengths:
Versatility, spread, skills, goal sense

A natural ball-winner with a slick left foot and smooth-moving ability, Reid has proven she can play on all three lines of the field. Starting off half-back and pushing up to a wing, Reid finished her season up forward and ended up slotting 15 goals in 11 games, including three in Oakleigh’s premiership win. She averaged 1.4 goals for the season from 20.1 disposals, 4.5 marks and 3.2 inside 50s per game, looked to as a key player to move the ball in transition. She used it well by hand or foot and was able to find space with ease. Multiple times a game Reid would make you wonder how she got in so much space even when tearing it up, but credit to her work rate and smarts to be able to find the open space and then punish the opposition through either her disposal or on the scoreboard.

#5 Ella Friend (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
30/12/2003 | 175cm
Tall Forward/Wing

Key strengths:
Contested marking, mobility, upside, penetrating kick

The top contested marking player in the draft crop, Friend will be a highly sought after talent for her ability to not only clunk the big grabs, but use her penetrating left boot in both the midfield and forward lines. Transitioning from centre half-forward to a wing in the second half of the season, Friend showcased her mobility and her knack for for winning the ball in multiple areas of the field. Only two days away from being a bottom-ager, expect Friend to have plenty of upside left in her and would be a great target for a team needing a key target up forward who can also work hard up the ground. She averaged the 16.0 disposals, 4.3 marks and 2.9 tackles per game in the 2021 season, and slotted two goals on debut for the Western Bulldogs’ VFLW side. A good size at 175cm to play anywhere on the ground.

Keen to watch this VFLW R13 game Collingwood v Western Bulldogs when I get a chance.

Stella Reid (#66) was selected on the Collingwood full back line (not sure if she played there) and was named among the best in the Pies big win (11.6.72 to 1.2.8). Ella Friend (#60) was named at FF for the Dogs.

Given that draftees can only sign 1 year contracts, St Kilda and Geelong have their work cut out for them to keep Essendon & Hawthorn from poaching Prespakis and Rowbottom
in hindsight it worked out better for us to draft Ellie McKenzie last year & pick one of Tara Slender, Stella Reid or Ella Friend this year
Less pressure on us as the 3 we have a choice on won't be on top of the two expansion teams wish list
Our Vic pick 3 this year has turned out to be a blessing in disguise
Any of the 3 players have huge upside to turn into valuable members of our team, without the immediate pressure of expansion teams sniffing around, get one of them into our club, become best friends for life with our players and we're winning games, no-one would want to leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back