News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the key decision in drafting Slender will be if she can be that midfield rotation that we need.

If there is doubt about that then I think we might go Craven or Ling, whichever is available.

Strong midfield's still win you most games. Footy history is littered with sensational key forwards that didn't translate to team success.

I'm still pretty bullish about our forward line even post Wakefield. Will be a big loss but I think we have players on our list that can cover. Bernardi is more of a small forward but has been in and out of the side anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the key decision in drafting Slender will be if she can be that midfield rotation that we need.

If there is doubt about that then I think we might go Craven or Ling, whichever is available.

Strong midfield's still win you most games. Footy history is littered with sensational key forwards that didn't translate to team success.

I'm still pretty bullish about our forward line even post Wakefield. Will be a big loss but I think we have players on our list that can cover. Bernardi is more of a small forward but has been in and out of the side anyway.

Yeah fair point TigermanM2
I'm keeping an eye on U/18's that played for Port VFLW, B. Vickers, J. Anthony, A.Smith, A.Richards & S.Locke
A.Ling i'm near certain will go to the Saints 1st pick so she's not in my thinking
B. Vickers, J. Anthony, A.Smith, A.Richards could be in mix with our 2nd & later picks
Jaide Anthony, could be our 2nd pick, she's got all the accolades as a defender, but she can & has played well as a fwd & mid too, has some great traits to be an inside mid or a small fwd
Sophie Locke could be that Bernardi replacement, hard at it, great 1 on 1 & knows where the goals are

Last edited:

toenail63

Senior List
Dec 6, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
You are a smart man Stanley! That is why I am so keen on Yassir, she can have an impact as a small forward. As she develops there will be scope in coming years to rotate her. Stella Reid, Tara Slender et al have 'development required' written all over them with lots of blue sky. We have already traded for the here and now though, so we also have to take some 'development required' talent - we'll get two of those!

Also keen on Yassir and hoping she gets through to our second pick, just the type we need to add to our mix. This could happen if we pick up a Utility with our first as that development forward/mid. I'm still aboard the Tara Slender train but am also a fan of Ella Friend here.

toenail63

Senior List
Dec 6, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond

The Compromised drafts will mean we may have to look for a trade for Wakefields replacement as we won't be getting access to top talent through the compromised draft/s. This is the year that we can get that replacement with an early pick. Also, It should be easier to go to trade next year to top up midfielders from a much bigger pool of mids than KP players.

I think we could pick up Sophie Locke with a late draft pick, if still there, she could be that Bernadi replacement.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The Compromised drafts will mean we may have to look for a trade for Wakefields replacement as we won't be getting access to top talent through the compromised draft/s. This is the year that we can get that replacement with an early pick. Also, It should be easier to go to trade next year to top up midfielders from a much bigger pool of mids than KP players.

I think we could pick up Sophie Locke with a late draft pick, if still there, she could be that Bernadi replacement.

Exactly toenail63, couldn't agree more :)
With the compromised draft/s on the horizon, we wont be getting a 1st round pick before 10-12
Hit draft now for KPF & trade the next 1 or 2 years for mids

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
I understand your point but only Conti 22 yo, McKenzie 19 yo, are elite A+, we won't be getting a elite mid this draft
J.Hosking, S.Hosking, 26 yo would be B+ - A-
Molan, 20 yo would be C+ - B-
Jacques, 21 yo would be C+ - B-
Dargan, 22 yo would be D+
Burchell, 26 yo would be C
Dempsey, 26 yo would be B
Lavey. 28 would be B+ - A-
Any mids we pick in this draft will be good for 5-9 disposals/game at the most, nothing that'll help that much this season
The draftees, whoever we get, might only play 1, 2, maybe 3 games, we're not at that bad situation when we had to play 18 year old's before they were ready
All draftees we pick up will start at a D level, we ain't getting a McKenzie this year, we'll have to do with what we have ATM

Finally i'm not at all fussed who we draft, they'll all be Richmond players & that's good enough for me, i'll support them to the hilt :)
GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS, may all the other teams eat sh*t & die:p

LOL - I applaud your optimism SJ but those scores are way too high. Molan and Dargan are both F's considering what we paid for them. Both are not having an impact at VFLW level yet let alone AFLW. The rest aren't far off given most of those were late picks or freebies

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers

Not sure we are taking Slender. My take on Trent's interview is that we will split our 2 picks with one a key position player and the other a mid. My tip is that we take Friend first and Yassir or Smith with our 2nd pick Not many good talls available this year so we need to take one first or risk missing out.

LOL - I applaud your optimism SJ but those scores are way too high. Molan and Dargan are both F's considering what we paid for them. Both are not having an impact at VFLW level yet let alone AFLW. The rest aren't far off given most of those were late picks or freebies

Pretty hard to have an impact at VFLW level when you are in SA playing SANFLW but carry on...!

If Locke is still there, she should be a lock - pun intended - was the only player keeping Port in games at times. She can be a bit awkward in style but if she had the chance to train with our main group - her blue sky will bring so much improvement - because she can kick goals with her eyes closed!

Pretty hard to have an impact at VFLW level when you are in SA playing SANFLW but carry on...!

Big set shots those - and we chuck off at BigBennyBrown's run up :D

2021 AFLW draft preview (richmondfc.com.au)

Richmond Women's Recruiting Manager Trent Mosbey
"But, overall, our strategy, particularly for the first two picks, will be best talent available and we'll hopefully get some really talented girls there onto the list and hopefully fill the list need at the same time. So, we've identified a batch of girls that fit the criteria of the football club, and hopefully we can get them on board."

Wow, if his cards were any closer to his chest they would have to be implanted on his man-boobs!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was a bit of say a lot without saying much wasn't it, but there's not much you can really do in these kinds of things without shooting yourself in the foot especially with where our picks sit

I bet "best available talent" has many definitions this time of the footy year.

Feb 26, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
feel like you have to go slender just off of her versatility(and talent) alone, has shown she can play fwd, mid and def

having another mid/fwd the height of mckenzie&KB couldn't hurt with the hoskings&conti not being the tallest

ling&craven while guns are locked in to a position and don't have the ceiling of slender, and are a little undersized in comparison

also slender captaining her nab league club is something to add too

yes im ready to melt tonight

Back