Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Just read through Knightmare's mock draft. A lot of pure speculation involved on his part, I know, but it raised the question for me, what type of player do we target with our first pick? He has us down for an outside mid at pick 12.

Depending on the outcome of potential trades that have been touted (i.e. Trengrove, and a ruckman), if these fall over - which is reasonably likely - does anyone think we'd actually look at a KPD or ruck with our first pick?

Knightmare's mock draft has Michael Talia going to GWS at pick 13. I'd be surprised if he goes that late, and is one I'd be interested to know if we'd take if still there when our first pick comes up?

I just hope we don't trade it away (i.e. the North/Cats supporters demanding a first rounder for Hamish MacIntosh/Dawson Simpson etc.)

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Re: What will we do with our 1st round draft pick?

We need 2-3 more quality mids.... So the best available player between 180cm and 192 cm. Do that with your first pick EVERY draft and you will build a premiership side.

What we will most like do is try to stop a leak somewhere.... like trade for a ruckman... or another defender....

At the moment we have deficiencies in all areas... It's like having 4 leaking buckets that you are constantly trying to fill. Instead of fixing 1 bucket at a time we just try and keep filling them all at the same time... hoping they will eventually fill.

The football department should be "fixing" the midfield first. Why because it makes the life of a Forward and back so much easier and thus easier t0 "fix up".

Just read through Knightmare's mock draft. A lot of pure speculation involved on his part, I know, but it raised the question for me, what type of player do we target with our first pick? He has us down for an outside mid at pick 12.

Depending on the outcome of potential trades that have been touted (i.e. Trengrove, and a ruckman), if these fall over - which is reasonably likely - does anyone think we'd actually look at a KPD or ruck with our first pick?

Knightmare's mock draft has Michael Talia going to GWS at pick 13. I'd be surprised if he goes that late, and is one I'd be interested to know if we'd take if still there when our first pick comes up?

I just hope we don't trade it away (i.e. the North/Cats supporters demanding a first rounder for Hamish MacIntosh/Dawson Simpson etc.)

This draft is very weak in terms of KPP and rucks. Longer is the best ruck in the draft and will go in the top 6. Talia is not worth a top 10 pick. He's quite good at locking down forwards but lacks skills on the rebound. Should be a good player but will not be the best available in my opinion. Bolger the Wa ruck doesn't show enough for mine, had a fair bit of hype coming into the champs this year but did little to justify it when he was beaten by an underager in Grundy from SA.

Always go best available with your first rounder. I hope someone like Kavanagh, Buntine, Hoskin-Elliot, Grigg or Sumer are available. We still lack depth in our midfield and the sooner the likes of Edwards, Jackson etc are forced put of the 22 the better team we'll be.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Always go best available with your first rounder. I hope someone like Kavanagh, Buntine, Hoskin-Elliot, Grigg or Sumer are available. We still lack depth in our midfield and the sooner the likes of Edwards, Jackson etc are forced put of the 22 the better team we'll be.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

richolovesgoal

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa

With our first pick I think we should pick the best midfielder available. I don't say a ruckman because I think we should trade for an already established ruckman.

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions

I certainly understand, and do agree with the "take the best player available" motto. I'm not familiar with how good the likely draft prospects are in comparison to each other, but I would argue that depending on specific deficiencies, the "best player" may be different for one side compared to another.

Maybe I've been sucked in by RT's line that there's not room in our midfield for Tuck while we have Foley, Cotchin and Martin, and figured using our top pick on another mid might be somewhat of a waste, and could be better used on a quality full back for the next decade, seeing as our stocks down there are nearly all looking somewhat shaky.

JimmyRecard

All Australian
Jan 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, MVFC

Must be an inside midfielder to force Jackson out of the 22.

Mitchell Grigg would be ideal but will proberbly be gone before our first pick.

Looks like we will be getting a pick in the 10-12 range (I can see Adelaide leapfrogging us as Bickley tries to get the job).

Definitely need 2-3 more gun mids to add depth (a strong midfield would lower the number of forward 50s our opposition have, giving our defenders a chance to not be under siege constantly).

I'm hoping a gun inside mid slides to our first pick (someone in the Cunnington mould, big bodied and loves the hard stuff would be ideal). Definitely need to get someone in as Tuck looks like he won't be around next year and Jackson is a liability :(

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond

Just pick the best player.
We all thought Deledio was going to be an attacking mid-fielder - he's a half-back flanker. We thought Riewoldt was a hit-up half-forward - he's a full forward. We thought Oakley-Nicholls was a footballer........Ok, I'll stop.

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

The best inside outside hard at it versatile midfielder then the same again the 2nd pick .We should steer clear of players that r only inside or outside versatility is the way to go.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

I think with a weak draft the best players around will be mids. Would like to see us go after a mid with the first and second pick to be honest.

Mitchell Grigg looks good at this stage but might not last. I think we will end up with pick 10...

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

Just throwing this out there...how would people feel about trading pick 12 for Colin Sylvia?

25 years old would compliement our midfield well and I think given MFC's current predicament we could get him cheap. Can be a very very good and damaging inside/outside player on his day and would add a hard edge to our midfield.

Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley, Sylvia, Conca

With three picks in the top 20-22 next year we are going to have another influx of strong 18 year olds. Could be the perfect time to add a 100 gamer around Deledios age bracket and another strong body.

Thoughts?

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions

...same again the 2nd pick.
Keep in mind, we have said we'll be active in the trade period. That being the case, I can't see how we'll retain our 2nd round pick (assuming we are talking about trading in players, not trying to offload them).

I hope we keep our first rounder, but if we want a handy ruckman then the 2nd rounder seems the obvious one to deal on.

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions

Just throwing this out there...how would people feel about trading pick 12 for Colin Sylvia?

Thoughts?
That trade might look ok for a year or two, but when Melbourne's #12 pick hits his peak, and Sylvia is a distant memory, we'll look back and think "that was a stupid "Richmond" thing to do, wasn't it!"

Plus, I'm not sure that because Melbourne have sacked their coach that suddenly their players are ripe for the picking, and all ready to jump ship.

Whoever the new coach is, I would assume Sylvia will be required. And the players may be looking forward to a fresh start with a new coach, particularly if that turns out to be a Mick Malthouse, or Garry Lyon (although I think both are quite unlikely).

25 years old would compliement our midfield well and I think given MFC's current predicament we could get him cheap. Can be a very very good and damaging inside/outside player on his day and would add a hard edge to our midfield.

Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley, Sylvia, Conca

With three picks in the top 20-22 next year we are going to have another influx of strong 18 year olds. Could be the perfect time to add a 100 gamer around Deledios age bracket and another strong body.

Thoughts?
Abolsutely no way in hell would I want that.

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Keep in mind, we have said we'll be active in the trade period. That being the case, I can't see how we'll retain our 2nd round pick (assuming we are talking about trading in players, not trying to offload them).

I hope we keep our first rounder, but if we want a handy ruckman then the 2nd rounder seems the obvious one to deal on.

i just want a older cheaper ruckman, blake will do and there is no way he is worth a 2nd rounder and i think we should b trading players for draft picks in general.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

That trade might look ok for a year or two, but when Melbourne's #12 pick hits his peak, and Sylvia is a distant memory, we'll look back and think "that was a stupid "Richmond" thing to do, wasn't it!"

Plus, I'm not sure that because Melbourne have sacked their coach that suddenly their players are ripe for the picking, and all ready to jump ship.

Whoever the new coach is, I would assume Sylvia will be required. And the players may be looking forward to a fresh start with a new coach, particularly if that turns out to be a Mick Malthouse, or Garry Lyon (although I think both are quite unlikely).

Yeah your right.

As long as there is still some quality at 12.

I think some people are underselling Sylvia as a player though...

Yeah your right.

I stil think we will end up with pick 10.
Nothing wrong with Sylvia at all. But he is not worth compromising our future by giving up pick 10 for. As someone pointed out, it wreaks of McLean and pick 11.

Delids

All Australian
Sep 9, 2007
Shepparton
AFL Club
Richmond

Elliot Kavanah would be very good but wont last.
But we will pick a skinny kid, that wont be on any weight.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

as most have pointed out best inside, goal kicking mid , pick up Willie wheeler and trade for a ruckman who has been on a list for 2-3 years , and is ready to start making an impact, not enough spots on lists these days for a rebuilding side to have a high draft pick taking 3 years to develop like TV and many other do and have !

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah your right.

sylvia is a good player but would only pick him up if he slipped through to us in the preseason draft and thats unlikely.

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

what about pick 12 for Watts or Trengrove from melb??

Greggy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Richmond

Green looks to small to me, he doesn't have a very penetrating kick on him, seems like a work horse rather than a top 10 pick. We've got to hope Will Hoskin-Elliot drops as low as 10, he's an Aull Australian, Keeps his feet, clean, has pace, wins the hard ball and kicks both sides, he'd be perfect for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back