Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but let's also ignore that WA players are equally likely to extend their careers at a non-WA club as they are a WA club. Victorians moving from non Victorian club to other non Victorian club is very rare. Lewis Taylor is one.

There were three WA players who moved to play in Victoria just from Freo this off season.

There was a Victorian player who moved to Perth play for West Coast this off-season too.

It happens in all directions.

I also wasn't referring to Meek. I was directly referring to the three WA players who went to Victoria. Lobb, Logue and Acres. All WA lads. Didn't mention a thing about Tucker or Meek leaving and going home.

Logue and Acres left Freo because they got low balled, least Acres did, I think North paid overs from a Salary cap perspective, but you got decent/adequate compo for him and Lobb.

Recruiting Luke Jackson negates any of your departures anyway tbh

I think Freo had a pretty good trade period, when all is said and done.

Really should be pushing for top 4 next season. Hopefully Amiss has fully recovered from that horrific injury he copped in the WAFL, he looks like a very promising forward prospect.

That's a bit of a logical leap. Three WA players leave to play in Victoria and Jackson goes back to WA therefore all square. That's like saying Carlton can never complain about a non Victorian player going home because they got Chris Judd before.

WA players are equally likely to extend their careers at non-WA clubs as they are at WA clubs. That is not the same for Victorian players.

That's just the reality of the competition.

That's a bit of a logical leap. Three WA players leave to play in Victoria and Jackson goes back to WA therefore all square. That's like saying Carlton can never complain about a non Victorian player going home because they got Chris Judd before.

WA players are equally likely to extend their careers at non-WA clubs as they are at WA clubs. That is not the same for Victorian players.

That's just the reality of the competition.

Fair points, but unless both WA clubs get some kind of COLA, I don't see what the AFL can possibly do to make things better for both the Eagles and Dockers.

Lobb's situation is unique in that his partner got a juicy/lucrative job in Melbourne, and he naturally wanted to be with her.

Have to admit though, those kind of deals may be a bit suss, like GWS offering Tom Scully's Dad a plum recruiting role at their club as part of their pitch to recruit Tom, although I am not sure if The Bulldogs had any official link to the Employer of Lobb's missus, it would be pretty suss, if not downright unethical if it was.

Fair points, but unless both WA clubs get some kind of COLA, I don't see what the AFL can possibly do to make things better for both the Eagles and Dockers.

Lobb's situation is unique in that his partner got a juicy/lucrative job in Melbourne, and he naturally wanted to be with her.

Have to admit though, those kind of deals may be a bit suss, like GWS offering Tom Scully's Dad a plum recruiting role at their club as part of their pitch to recruit Tom, although I am not sure if The Bulldogs had any official link to the Employer of Lobb's missus, it would be pretty suss, if not downright unethical if it was.

Fun fact, GWS had to include Scullys dads salary in their salary cap because of that

There's quite a grey area in regards to salary cap impact of employing at clubs. AFLW salary cap being circumvented by players also working at the club in another role.

I don't like those kind of nepotism at any club (including Carlton)
Definitely is a massive conflict of interest/shouldn't be permitted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Become a good club that players don’t want to leave, simple.
With all due respect, that just brushes aside the reality that not all clubs are equal on that footing. Not even close.

Clubs like Carlton and Richmond have vacillated between mere mediocrity and outright awfulness for spells lasting decades long in recent history, but they don't suffer an outflow due to go-home factor. Bryce Gibbs is probably the only one I can think of. I guess you could argue Eddie Betts.

As others have pointed out, Melbourne is a far bigger and more diverse city than Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth - and so there's much more movement going toward it, rather than away. Combine that with the struggles faced by clubs with small supporter bases (i.e. expansion clubs), and it's not just simple a case of "become a good club".

Basically put, clubs like Brisbane and Freo have to stay "good clubs" all the time to retain their talent. They cannot get away with what Richmond, Carlton and currently Essendon get away with. And for GWS and the GC, even that isn't good enough.

It doesn't mean that something should necessarily be done about it - there are other factors to consider - but lazily saying "be better, simple" ignores the disparity.

With all due respect, that just brushes aside the reality that not all clubs are equal on that footing. Not even close.

Clubs like Carlton and Richmond have vacillated between mere mediocrity and outright awfulness for spells lasting decades long in recent history, but they don't suffer an outflow due to go-home factor. Bryce Gibbs is probably the only one I can think of. I guess you could argue Eddie Betts.

As others have pointed out, Melbourne is a far bigger and more diverse city than Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth - and so there's much more movement going toward it, rather than away. Combine that with the struggles faced by clubs with small supporter bases (i.e. expansion clubs), and it's not just simple a case of "become a good club".

Basically put, clubs like Brisbane and Freo have to stay "good clubs" all the time to retain their talent. They cannot get away with what Richmond, Carlton and currently Essendon get away with. And for GWS and the GC, even that isn't good enough.

It doesn't mean that something should necessarily be done about it - there are other factors to consider - but lazily saying "be better, simple" ignores the disparity.
Sydney competes in the same market the giants do, yea they lose players but it doesn’t effect their performance. Simply put they are a well run club that players are happy to play for.
Brisbane went from basket case losing players a few years ago to now being a destination club competing in a similar market to the suns.
The suns and giants are the 2 clubs affected most by losing players but they are also babies in the competition and have probably not been run that well, at least in the suns case.
Good well run clubs can draft players and get them to stay if they are a well run club.

Sydney competes in the same market the giants do, yea they lose players but it doesn’t effect their performance. Simply put they are a well run club that players are happy to play for.
Sydney now keeps players because they play in front of large crowds, they have a storied history and they are based in the heart of one of Australia's two major cities. They are no longer an "expansion" club.

GWS is based in an unfashionable part of the world and has an average home attendance of less than 10,000. Even when they are well-run, they still leak "go-home" players - in 2016, for example, they missed out on the GF by a kick... then, in the off-season, they lost Will Hoskin-Elliott, Cam McCarthy, Jack Steele, and a bunch of top-ten picks in Jarrod Pickett, Paul Ahern and Caleb Marchbank. The next year, they finished fourth - and lost Devon Smith, Matty Kennedy and Nathan Wilson.

Being a "well run club" didn't stop the exodus.

Every club goes through down cycles from time to time - but it's compounded severely for sides who:
  • Aren't based in Melbourne or Sydney
  • Even worse for those who aren't from AFL states
  • Play in front of small home crowds
  • Don't have a long history

Prove it. I've never seen it and I watch the draft closely. WA talent have never gone out making statements to this point. But 100% they will now. It's fair game now. All interstate clubs should take note of what's happening because Vic draftees have now been doing it pretty obvious the last couple of seasons.
you sound salty that Jackson didn’t pick you

"ItS A naTiOnAl DrAFt" - people who don't appreciate that contract law exists. If Harry Sheezel wants to leave an interstate club after two years, why shouldn't he??

Australian 18yo were fighting and dying for their country in the last century but gee I don't want to move away from Mum to play AFL in a foreign city, sob sob
And as we all know, there was no propaganda or fear there at all. No sir. They all happily strolled out to war and came back totally fine with it.

"ItS A naTiOnAl DrAFt" - people who don't appreciate that contract law exists. If Harry Sheezel wants to leave an interstate club after two years, why shouldn't he??
This I completely agree with, but it's why I also believe that there should be three-year contracts for first-round picks, and fiscal incentive tipped in by the AFL for clubs in emerging markets if the player signs a second contract.

This I completely agree with, but it's why I also believe that there should be three-year contracts for first-round picks, and fiscal incentive tipped in by the AFL for clubs in emerging markets if the player signs a second contract.
Yep, that would be ideal. But even then, players will still leave for home. Jackson signed an extension in his first season and still left.

Australian 18yo were fighting and dying for their country in the last century but gee I don't want to move away from Mum to play AFL in a foreign city, sob sob
That's completely irrelevant. Choices that you make when you believe that your country is under attack and national freedom is at stake are completely divorced from choices that you make when you're working out how to manage an elite sporting career.

Players have always told clubs their preferences at interviews.
Players have always left for home in the past.
Players are just more open about it now.
It's nothing new. It's only that it's happening more nowadays.

That is because of society and mental health acceptance.
You simply cannot restrict those rights these days.
Supporters need to roll with it or follow something else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back