Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So Sheezel has made it clear he doesn't want to go interstate. It's been happening a few years now where Vic draftees will make subtle statements like below. Sheezel arguably pick 1-4 this off season has gone on record as not even hiding it now. Just comes out saying he prefers to stay in Melbourne and basically if a interstate side drafts him he will leave as soon as the contract is up. Sheezel at the end, he better say to save face "Oh I am happy to play anywhere" so it covers his obvious draft tampering attempt. I guess his honesty helps all interstate clubs to not draft him but this is 100% in it's truest form as draft tampering and a huge reason why the Eagles traded pick 2 for two picks later in the draft. Regardless of what you call this, AFL have a huge issue of draft tampering now where players are now openly dictating where they want to go. It doesn't matter anymore where you finish and the wooden spoon doesn't mean getting any player you want or the best talent. I find it frustrating that not one media outlet has even gave this a mention and I'm only say this as make no mistake WA draftees talent will do likewise in the future. It's completely free game now because Gil and AFL has just accepted that draft tampering is part of the game. It's completely ok for players to do this. When it happens again but for a WA draftee for example refusing to go to a Vic Club and the huge media uproar that follows, mark this down and I will bring this up when it does happen. Let this Sheezel reminder that this has been happening now and nothing was done by the AFL to stop it.
Screenshot_2022-10-23-07-06-12-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
What would you prefer?

If Sheezel lied or gave some mealy mouthed statement, and then WCE draft him at Pick 2 only to see him go home after a couple of years, you'd be screaming at him even harder.
Regardless it's completely alright now and I'm sure future WA draftees will be doing likewise in the coming years.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Wouldn't clubs prefer this honesty as opposed to the JHF/Tanner Bruhn situations that just played out during the trade period?
Yes we would. Eagles and Freo will have now have complete control over WA talent and for sure will be suggesting to all WA talent to make similar statements of not wanting to move anywhere apart from WA

Good luck to GWS and GC as they will continue to lose players. It's just nice to know now that it doesn't matter about equalisation.

How is this different than Chad Wingard a decade ago?

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He will give it a crack, up the inerstate club to support it properly if drafted.
Yeah ok no worries. So what I'm getting is Eagles/Freo tell all WA draftees to say this. I do not want to play interstate. I love WA and hope to god I stay in WA. I will cry and my family will be hugely dissapointed if I dont get drafted to a WA club. In fact I would really really hate to be drafted to a Vic Club. They make me sick and will look at first opportunity to leave and return home as soon as possible if they draft me.

But again whoops almost forgot if one Vic club drafts me I will give it a good crack.🙄

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
So Sheezel has made it clear he doesn't want to go interstate. It's been happening a few years now where Vic draftees will make subtle statements like below. Sheezel arguably pick 1-4 this off season has gone on record as not even hiding it now. Just comes out saying he prefers to stay in Melbourne and basically if a interstate side drafts him he will leave as soon as the contract is up. Sheezel at the end, he better say to save face "Oh I am happy to play anywhere" so it covers his obvious draft tampering attempt. I guess his honesty helps all interstate clubs to not draft him but this is 100% in it's truest form as draft tampering and a huge reason why the Eagles traded pick 2 for two picks later in the draft. Regardless of what you call this, AFL have a huge issue of draft tampering now where players are now openly dictating where they want to go. It doesn't matter anymore where you finish and the wooden spoon doesn't mean getting any player you want or the best talent. I find it frustrating that not one media outlet has even gave this a mention and I'm only say this as make no mistake WA draftees talent will do likewise in the future. It's completely free game now because Gil and AFL has just accepted that draft tampering is part of the game. It's completely ok for players to do this. When it happens again but for a WA draftee for example refusing to go to a Vic Club and the huge media uproar that follows, mark this down and I will bring this up when it does happen. Let this Sheezel reminder that this has been happening now and nothing was done by the AFL to stop it.
View attachment 1541392

You really think previous and or current WA juniors haven't indicated in the past, that they prefer to play in their home state?

SA boys have done the same

Nothing new

Last edited:

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You really think previous and or current WA juniors haven't indicated in the past, that tge prefer to play in their home state?

SA boys have done the same

Nothing new
Prove it. I've never seen it and I watch the draft closely. WA talent have never gone out making statements to this point. But 100% they will now. It's fair game now. All interstate clubs should take note of what's happening because Vic draftees have now been doing it pretty obvious the last couple of seasons.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The real problem is that clubs keep indulging players who want to leave before their contract is up. There should be a mandatory period of 3 years with the drafting club, and if the player doesn't want to play for them any longer in that time, they can sit out of football. The Cam McCarthy situation should become standard.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
What would you prefer?

If Sheezel lied or gave some mealy mouthed statement, and then WCE draft him at Pick 2 only to see him go home after a couple of years, you'd be screaming at him even harder.
4 year rookie deals plus RFA up to 6 years like NBA. The players have too much pull to sook it up and demand go home in a national comp. Its farcical

If we can only draft from our home state just pack it up now. All we have is glorified state of origin.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The real problem is that clubs keep indulging players who want to leave before their contract is up. There should be a mandatory period of 3 years with the drafting club, and if the player doesn't want to play for them any longer in that time, they can sit out of football. The Cam McCarthy situation should become standard.
I think it should be 5 years for draftees. Do what you want after. It's AFL, they are on big dollars and if they are not up to it that's fine. They can go play local suburban footy for 5 years. But an exclusion for 5 years from playing AFL is what it should be if they don't want to play for an interstate club and vise verser the other way for new draftees.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
4 year rookie deals plus RFA up to 6 years like NBA. The players have too much pull to sook it up and demand go home in a national comp. Its farcical

If we can only draft from our home state just pack it up now. All we have is glorified state of origin.

The average AFL career is about five years. You want the average player to play their whole career at minimum wage?

A West Coast Eagles supporter whinging? Who would have through? The OP may have a legitimate point, but it would have been better bought up by a supporter af another, less whiney interstate club (No. Not you Port supporters). West Coast (and Port) supporters don't have any credibility when it comes to their incessant whinging about how everythingth alwayth tho unfair.

Good on him, the fact that clubs that are rabbles get rewarded by getting the opportunity to corrupt the brightest talent is a blight on the game. It sucks that the 'reward' for being the best junior is you get to play with the shittest team.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Like when you grabbed Tim Kelly from us after his two year draftee contract?
Kelly was a mature player. 24 years old when Geelong drafted him. I guess that's another question. Do we consider age profile into this. If Kelly was to do 5 years with Geelong he would be 29 by the time that first contract is up.

Little different to a 18 year old and being 23 after 5 years. Good question though and if AFL were to make draftees do 5 year stints what happens to mature draftees

Back