Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Players have always told clubs their preferences at interviews.
Players have always left for home in the past.
Players are just more open about it now.
It's nothing new. It's only that it's happening more nowadays.
I mean, this is all true - but I think that there's so much more player movement now that it's starting to become a serious problem for the "less desirable" clubs, that's all.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean, this is all true - but I think that there's so much more player movement now that it's starting to become a serious problem for the "less desirable" clubs, that's all.
The AFL can put in measures to entice players. Raise the bottom 4 salary cap.

FourthTimeAround

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That one I don't agree with, because it makes the extra space unusable the moment you get not-crap. I'd prefer to raise the salary cap for "expansion" clubs - GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast.
Not saying I necessarily agree with the idea, however what about a salary cap adjusted based on last 3 to 5 years finishing position?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Not saying I necessarily agree with the idea, however what about a salary cap adjusted based on last 3 to 5 years finishing position?
I wouldn't agree with that, because it doesn't take into account the obstacles faced by some clubs but not by others.

Carlton and Melbourne have had some shocking runs in the new millennium. They don't need salary cap help, especially not in the same manner that GC and GWS do.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Become a good club that players don’t want to leave, simple.

This exactly. It's about the environment the club provides. The environment is not contingent on ultimate success either. If the club is operated by lots of good competent people then the environment will be good and the majority of interstate recruits will choose to stay.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL do all they can to make the draft as uncompromised as possible but human beings are not sheep, they have rights and a voice.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it's probably better for all clubs if potential draftees are honest in their intentions of whether they intend to stick around long term at the club or plan to return home after 2/3 years.

GWS are now starting to take this approach, and why they traded up to draft Cadman, cause apparently he is not a flight risk (least in the short or medium term)

Also explains why West Coast traded down and got an extra first round pick so they can take two local/WA lads.

An 18 year old kid is very immature. What they want at 18 and what they may want at 20 after 2 years in the system may be very different.

I remember the look on Ollie Wines' face at age 18 when we called his name out.

Last edited:

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This isn't "draft tampering". That would be if Sheezel refused to go to an interstate side, which clearly isn't the case.

If I was a top-ten pick (i.e. virtually guaranteed of being picked up by an AFL club), I can't pretend I'd be delighted to be drafted interstate, and especially not to GWS or the Gold Coast.

He's done nothing wrong IMO.

The best most talented in any industry do have more leverage in choosing where they want to ply their trade.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
its not academic in the context of wce trading out pick 2 with the assumption that sheezel and others towards the top end of the draft were considered serious flight risks by the club

With a dirth of young talent it's also a wise call by wce to draft in 2 x top 15 talents rather than just one.

It's not really comparable at all. The money is worlds apart. Early AFL draftees are on $150k a season. The NBA number 1 pick gets over $9 million dollars.

It's the same with every other contract. The financial benefits & system in place simply outweigh 'home'.

It's also culture.

Free agency was brought in with the idea that low teams could simply buy stars to rebound up the ladder but that's not the culture we have here.

Kids over there are brought up expecting to get paid. What's the best deal for me?

Over here we encourage kids to get a deal, yes, but it's all about the team. What are you willing to give up for team success?

This is why clubs with those 'extra' selling points - constant finals, great off field set up, the big name coach, big crowds, close to home - get the edge in player negotiations and trades.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Being the no.1 draft pick doesn’t necessarily mean he will turn out a great player. There’s been many over the years who haven’t.

I don’t know that your club is that much better than North. What have Port achieved lately? You’ve got a president and coach that have taken you nowhere and most of your supporters seem to hate them.

Hahaha nice couple of drive-bys there 😁

Last edited:

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 1544308

Another one Tsatas just today dictating where he wants to play. It's getting ridiculous now. The media statement asking to stay home. At this point might aswell seperate VFL clubs. They can go back to VFL only.

AFL National league doesn't work anymore. Game has gone to s**t. Dead in the water.

Well known by interstate recruiters not to select first round Vic Metro talent of greek/Italian decent. Top of the flight risk ladder.

Last edited:

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't even know they had cities in the west, just thought it was some mad max style nomad stuff with the occasional digging of big holes, can't blame the kids for wanting to head home to civilization.

To be fair WA pays for the massive government debt of Victoria. Victoria is a state that lives well outside its own means. State debt is horrendous.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, it isn't

Of course it is. He's not allowed to blatantly say 'don't draft me if you're an interstate team' so he's says the next closest thing.

If he's a 2nd or 3rd round prospect there's no way he would've said that as outside of the first round, you're just happy to be drafted at all.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course it is. He's not allowed to blatantly say 'don't draft me if you're an interstate team' so he's says the next closest thing.

If he's a 2nd or 3rd round prospect there's no way he would've said that as outside of the first round, you're just happy to be drafted at all.

Rubbish.

Kids from the Northen states are given the luxury of playing in their home state, and we're constantly told the reason is that they would be lost to AFL, they'd play Rugby instead. So, if a kid from NSW/QLD gets to make those kind of demands why does every other kid in the country can't do it?

Cries of 'draft tampering' is ridiculous. The integrity of the draft has been ripped apart by the AFL with all the different ways clubs can get players now, to have a sook about is actually a bit pathetic.

The AFL have created a system that's so inconsistent and lopsided, my view is that every kid from every state should begin pushing the boundaries and force the AFL to fix the mess they've created. F/S, academies, NGS, free agents etc What a mess.

Why should a kid be disadvantaged just because of their postcode or who their parents are?

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rubbish.

Kids from the Northen states are given the luxury of playing in their home state, and we're constantly told the reason is that they would be lost to AFL, they'd play Rugby instead. So, if a kid from NSW/QLD gets to make those kind of demands why does every other kid in the country can't do it?

Cries of 'draft tampering' is ridiculous. The integrity of the draft has been ripped apart by the AFL with all the different ways clubs can get players now, to have a sook about is actually a bit pathetic.

The AFL have created a system that's so inconsistent and lopsided, my view is that every kid from every state should begin pushing the boundaries and force the AFL to fix the mess they've created. F/S, academies, NGS, free agents etc What a mess.

Why should a kid be disadvantaged just because of their postcode or who their parents are?

I don't disagree with anything you've said and don't have a problem with a kid wanting to stay in his home city but under the current rules, to essentially warn off prospective clubs by voluntarily publicising that you're a flight risk, is a form of draft tampering as in theory when you sign up for the draft you're supposed to be agreeing to happily go anywhere, which of course is not always true.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't disagree with anything you've said and don't have a problem with a kid wanting to stay in his home city but under the current rules, to essentially warn off prospective clubs by voluntarily publicising that you're a flight risk, is a form of draft tampering as in theory when you sign up for the draft you're supposed to be agreeing to happily go anywhere, which of course is not always true.

Absolutely it isn't, and the only way the draft will get fixed properly is if all the kids coming through have the same stance. The draft is an absolute joke now, time to call it out for what it is.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Absolutely it isn't, and the only way the draft will get fixed properly is if all the kids coming through have the same stance. The draft is an absolute joke now, time to call it out for what it is.

By the sound of it you wouldnt view it as draft tampering even if a player come out and said don't pick me I won't be going to your club.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
By the sound of it you wouldnt view it as draft tampering even if a player come out and said don't pick me I won't be going to your club.

How can you tamper with a draft that has already lost all of its integrity? Seriously, a kid coming out and saying that is just a minor problem with what we have now

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
The draft has been compromised 7 ways from Sunday for a long time.

Father sons
Compos
Academies
Salary dumps

On top of players dictating where they don't want to go, which has happened for a long time.

Last edited:

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
What if the potential draftees could nominate a minimum of 9 clubs they would accept being drafted to, then fixing a minimum 5 year contract for 1st rounders, 4 years for 2nd rounders and 2 or 3 years for the rest. That way, the players can remove up to half of the competition of where they want to play football, but are locked in to a club for a decent period for this privilege.

They can't be traded during this time, they either honour the contract or sit out of football until the original contract length is up.

The more clubs the draftees say no to, the less chance they have of being drafted, so that's their choice.

Then a list of players that they can choose from are given to the clubs prior to the draft. Obviously it would have to be done in advance so clubs can plan their scouting accordingly.

Players from each respective state can't rule out playing for a team in their state, so clubs will always have someone to choose from. And pick 1, 2,3 can pick anyone, regardless of nominations and these players are paid extra for this.

Back