Competitions Draft/Trade predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Will end up at the end of it with no ruck and KPF
Trade period hasn't even started. Talk about us getting fantasy recruits like Hogan and Lobb, makes anything else we may do look like a failure. Melbourne said Hogan would stay with them and Lobb was contracted and is in a team that is about to embark on an era of afl guaranteed success.

I'm really excited for the draft knowing that we havea low pick, it could change during the trade period obviously but if it does it will be for two mid range picks you would think, the idea of adding some genuine A grade talent to our side is very exciting. On top of that bringing in an experienced, proven line breaking wingman with good skills and also bringing in a KPF that we have been chasing for years the season and at the same time as bringing these new players in also getting game sin to our developing young players in Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker, Balic, Pearce, Collins, Apeness Etc. Whats not to be excited about people?

He is training now - already had a break when still on crutches. Will resume running shortly and be very surprised if he's not playing round 1.

As though he would have had a choice when living with that nasty Fyfe character!!

Any chance WC would use a first rounder to get Hill?
If they want to, I'd let them. Pick 17 for Redden, pick 12 for BHill, Sinclair for Jetta and now they are desperate for more ruck stocks. It makes no logical sense but looking at their recent trading and drafting, being sensible doesn't seem a key priority for them.

1. Mayne compo for B Hill
2. 2017 Second round pick for McCarthy
3. Ballatyne plus pick 39 for Eagles picks 30 and 48
4. Barlow for Kersten (I HOPE I AM WRONG)
5. Suban for Conca (I HOPE I AM WRONG)
6. SOS and pick 75 for Lions pick 56
7. De Boer to the Blues for nothing
8. Z Clarke to stay
9. Pick 3 on McCluggage
10. Hogan stays at Melbourne

I'l be really unhappy if we give up SOS for spare change. He's shown plenty in the last part of the season (and in the WAFL finals) and deserves a spot in our back half next season.

I know enough to know that predicting choices is pretty difficult, particularly this far out. On inspection of who has been let go and the balance of the list, likely trade gains, the preferred approach to developing particular positions, my guess is that our shopping list looks like:

National and Pre-season drafts
3-4 midfielder / utility types
1 Tall / medium forward
Maybe 1 ruck

Rookie Draft
1 Tall / medium forward
1 Tall / medium back
2 Mid / utilities

but here is my gut feel on the picks:
Sam Petrevski-Seton - just reckon there is a high probability that this will happen. Not writing off English or McLuggage here either if SPS is gone but I reckon he will be.
Josh Battle - my prediction is he will slide, possibly even to third round. With Mayne going there will be appetite for a less than ideal but talented tallish forward at our second our third round pick. If we get Kersten I can see us taking a bid on (and getting) Harrison Macreadie whom I also think will fall heavily.
Cameron Zurhaar - tallish utility type from WA. Think he will still be on the board at a good time. Good height as well.
Alex Witherden - Another utility type from Geelong. Projects as a sort of skillful HBF.
Sean Darcy - I have a slight feeling we may not take a ruck in the national draft (rather we mihht try for a rookie instead) but if we do money is on Darcy rather than Goddard or either SA ruckmen.

Rookie draft - now for absolute predictive failure!

Luke Strnadica - has some things that need sorting out but I reckon the talent is there if hardwork can be applied.
Jimmy Miller - see Strnadica, has probably worked a bit harder. Can see the Eagles swooping on him.
Francis Watson - To remind, we tried to get him as a rookie zone / academy selection. In some ways is the opposite of the above two in that he is a hard worker.
Harrison Pearce - To round it off and demonstrate I have no idea, I think this guy is Alex Pearce's brother? Not sure but he might have a good turn of speed.

I know enough to know that predicting choices is pretty difficult, particularly this far out. On inspection of who has been let go and the balance of the list, likely trade gains, the preferred approach to developing particular positions, my guess is that our shopping list looks like:

National and Pre-season drafts
3-4 midfielder / utility types
1 Tall / medium forward
Maybe 1 ruck

Rookie Draft
1 Tall / medium forward
1 Tall / medium back
2 Mid / utilities

but here is my gut feel on the picks:
Sam Petrevski-Seton - just reckon there is a high probability that this will happen. Not writing off English or McLuggage here either if SPS is gone but I reckon he will be.
Josh Battle - my prediction is he will slide, possibly even to third round. With Mayne going there will be appetite for a less than ideal but talented tallish forward at our second our third round pick. If we get Kersten I can see us taking a bid on (and getting) Harrison Macreadie whom I also think will fall heavily.
Cameron Zurhaar - tallish utility type from WA. Think he will still be on the board at a good time. Good height as well.
Alex Witherden - Another utility type from Geelong. Projects as a sort of skillful HBF.
Sean Darcy - I have a slight feeling we may not take a ruck in the national draft (rather we mihht try for a rookie instead) but if we do money is on Darcy rather than Goddard or either SA ruckmen.

Rookie draft - now for absolute predictive failure!

Luke Strnadica - has some things that need sorting out but I reckon the talent is there if hardwork can be applied.
Jimmy Miller - see Strnadica, has probably worked a bit harder. Can see the Eagles swooping on him.
Francis Watson - To remind, we tried to get him as a rookie zone / academy selection. In some ways is the opposite of the above two in that he is a hard worker.
Harrison Pearce - To round it off and demonstrate I have no idea, I think this guy is Alex Pearce's brother? Not sure but he might have a good turn of speed.
Don't rate Liam Ryan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much focus on who to draft with pick 3. We'll likely draft 4-5 players this year. Savvy trading back into the 2nd round would be huge for us. SPS v McGrath v Ainsworth is almost splitting hairs - they'll all be good.

Outlandish pick: Jy Simpkin and his broken leg to slide to one of our picks. Can join our gang of cripples ready to impact 2017 :cool:
Yeh simpkin is exactly the sort of draft steal we would go after if the opportunity arose. Just like balic and tucker.

I'd like us to look really closely at the WAFL for our rookie draft selections;

Tom Gorter
Luke Meadows
Tim Kelly
Jeremy Goddard
Darcy Cameron
Blair Bell
Noah Hura
Calvin Thorne
Frankie Watson
Tyler Keitel
etc

Last edited:

Tom Gorter
Luke Meadows
Tim Kelly
Darcy Cameron
Blair Bell
Noah Hura
Calvin Thorne
Frankie Watson
Tyler Keitel
etc
Hopefully redraft grey and deluca really think they got unfinished business with freo .

Tom Gorter
Luke Meadows
Tim Kelly
Darcy Cameron
Blair Bell
Noah Hura
Calvin Thorne
Frankie Watson
Tyler Keitel
etc
This may be harsh on these guys but I'm not sure I'd want any of those - some ok solid players but not a lot of x-factor potential imo. Except perhaps Watson who I think we can still pick up as a cat B rookie - he's just available to all clubs and not exclusive to us. I'm still not convinced Strnadica, Baker and a bunch of other WA boys will get selected in the national draft so may still be available in the rookie draft.

I am personally more keen on drafting West Aussies (so long as they are worth it) in the ND and with the rookie list looking for speculative types all over Australia. The go home factor for a rookie (or late picks) is much less because they are often loyal because the club took a punt on them and their home clubs didn't (eg Neale). Same goes for sliders (eg Tucker and Balic hopefully).

This may be harsh on these guys but I'm not sure I'd want any of those - some ok solid players but not a lot of x-factor potential imo. Except perhaps Watson who I think we can still pick up as a cat B rookie - he's just available to all clubs and not exclusive to us. I'm still not convinced Strnadica, Baker and a bunch of other WA boys will get selected in the national draft so may still be available in the rookie draft.

I am personally more keen on drafting West Aussies (so long as they are worth it) in the ND and with the rookie list looking for speculative types all over Australia. The go home factor for a rookie (or late picks) is much less because they are often loyal because the club took a punt on them and their home clubs didn't (eg Neale). Same goes for sliders (eg Tucker and Balic hopefully).

Agree there will be good talent in the rookie draft which will mean we are unlikely to spend too much time looking over players that have already had a chance (as tough as that sounds).

Yeah I left Strnadica and Baker out not because I think they'll go in the ND, but because I don't rate them as high as the others.

I'm guessing Ryan and Jye Bolton will go in the ND but if they did fall through to the RD they'd obviously be appealing.

Good point re loyalty from late/rookie picks.

surely if Ballas does leave we'd be in the market for a small forward

I think the club will back itself with Walters, Bennell, Yarran, B.Hill and possibly SPS being played forward of centre as crumbing types. Again, not saying that I wouldn't go a small forward, just trying to guess what the club will do.

Does the possibility of re-drafting two defensive mids (Deluca and Grey) mean that we are wanting to draft in a defensive mid with better skills but if we don't we'll re-draft one or both of them? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back