Draft/Trade Talk Only Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning a Reserves B & F is almost a negative for a 1st Rd Draft Pick. Bombers were desperate for a bit of help for Lucas and Lloyd in the forward line and still didn't promote Bradley till the 11th hour. Bradley is like Meesen from the Crows - average footballers who are only attracting interest cause they were drafted in th top 10.
They didn't need the help of another KP player, they needed help from small, medium forwards, why would we bring in another Key forward on top of Lloyd, Lucas and our ruckman resting in the forward line? We need forward pressure you know and you cant do that with all these KP players.

I don't think it's a bad thing him winning the 2's B&F, Sheedy was very harsh on him and sent him back to the 2's until he perfected his kicking skills which he ended up achieving, everything else was fine except for his field kicking and once it was perfected Sheedy gave him a game at seasons end for his hard work. Also, its kind of hard to break into a side with Lloyd and Lucas in it.

How can you compare Meesen and Bradley? Bradley was played out of position for all of the years he had been at the club, and then once he was played in the right position he played sensational footy did some really good things, where as Meesen has played at the only position he knows and is just utter crap.

A reserves best and fairest is often the death knell for a player. It means they were in good form but still not cracking it for a senior game. That usually means the senior coach doesn't rate them.
Well it's Kevin Sheedy we're talking about! He played Lucas back for a few games, then shoves him back into the forward line in the last quarter and he kicks 7 goals, and Bolton (the crap player he is) somehow ended up with 124 games under his belt whilst Sheeds was at the helm. Surely that says it all doesn't it?

It took 27 years but now Sheedy was a dud. :)
Matthew Knights will get them playing good hard footy and turn them all into stars.
He wasn't a dud, obviously because he led us to quite a few premierships, but what i was implying is that Sheedy has been known to pull a few odd moves over his time, some good, some bad, and i was just mentioning a few bad ones.

Matty Knights has the plan to concentrate on skills and make them the no1 priority, so im very pleased about this and if he can get the team up to scratch in regards to skills then it will make us a much much better team, as it would to any other club.

does anyone know what the top five look to be in rough order
Depends on who has the draft picks. If Melbourne or Carlton secure Judd, WCE will likely take a Western Austrlian. This is My most likely top 5 (if Judd goes to Melbourne)
1. Kruezer (Carlton)
2. Cotchin (Richmond)
3. Ebert (Carlton)
4. Morton (West Coast)
5. Palmer, Henderson, McEvoy or others.(Dogs)

Actually I am most unsure about who the Dogs will pick.

Depends on who has the draft picks. If Melbourne or Carlton secure Judd, WCE will likely take a Western Austrlian. This is My most likely top 5 (if Judd goes to Melbourne)
1. Kruezer (Carlton)
2. Cotchin (Richmond)
3. Ebert (Carlton)
4. Morton (West Coast)
5. Palmer, Henderson, McEvoy or others.(Dogs)

Actually I am most unsure about who the Dogs will pick.

I am most unsure about the Doggies too.

Do you guys know something I don't - like are you trading the pick?

Every other club has heaps of who will we take type posts, however you guys are very low key ....with pick 5 you would expect someone of pretty good quality.

Is Rance an outside chance or will you take best available (likely another MF)?

C'mon Doggies speak to me!!!!!

If Melbourne or Carlton secure Judd, WCE will likely take a Western Austrlian.

Why do you say that?

In 2006 they picked Brown from North Ballarat.
In 2005 they selected Hurn from Central Districts.
In 2004 they selected Rosa from North Ballarat.
In 2003, Beau Waters from Happy Valley (in SA).
In 2002 Paul Johnson from Dandenong.
And in 2001 they selected Judd.

In fact they have not selected a West Aussie kid with their number 1 pick since they chose Andrew McDougall in 2000...The talk out of West Coast is that they will NOT select Morton, that they have issues trying to manage his older brother and if anything want one less Morton at the club, not one more.

Whatever pick they get, they will take the best player available whatever his origin...

Why do you say that?

In 2006 they picked Brown from North Ballarat.
In 2005 they selected Hurn from Central Districts.
In 2004 they selected Rosa from North Ballarat.
In 2003, Beau Waters from Happy Valley (in SA).
In 2002 Paul Johnson from Dandenong.
And in 2001 they selected Judd.

In fact they have not selected a West Aussie kid with their number 1 pick since they chose Andrew McDougall in 2000...The talk out of West Coast is that they will NOT select Morton, that they have issues trying to manage his older brother and if anything want one less Morton at the club, not one more.

Whatever pick they get, they will take the best player available whatever his origin...

Thats mainly because 2 of the most sought after in this years crop are from WA - Palmer & Morton.

Both pretty much rated as top 5 or 6 draft picks, plus would probably be spooked with the departure of their supertar back to Victoria in Judd.

Word is that they really want Morton, but you would imagine that they would be happy to grab both Morton & Palmer for Judd, which is fair enough.

I noticed mike rockefeller was in the best for werribee quite a bit in his first year out of school - is he any chance to be rookied by WB or another club do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats mainly because 2 of the most sought after in this years crop are from WA - Palmer & Morton.

Both pretty much rated as top 5 or 6 draft picks, plus would probably be spooked with the departure of their supertar back to Victoria in Judd.

Word is that they really want Morton, but you would imagine that they would be happy to grab both Morton & Palmer for Judd, which is fair enough.

Morton I will give you. But since when is Palmer considered a top 5 pick? I am not sure there is a massive demand for 180cm mids without great skills or great pace though. Please dont interpret this as me saying he isn't any good - just that I think he is more a pick 20+ selection than a top 5 choice.

As I have already said, the 'word' I am hearing is the opposite to you re- West Coast and Morton.

Now that Collingwood is the front-runner for Judd, we should seriously, seriously look at swapping pick 5 for Ben Reid. We should even throw in another pick or Sam Power to get the deal done.

Thoughts?

I think we would be stupid if we didn't pursue the matter up until the end of trade week. Regardless of people's personal opinions he's a very very good forward, something we need badly.

But for the record, i think we have no chance.
The big stumbling block is to convince Fev, hence why his mgr put a ridiculous figure of $700k on his head.
Secondly it depends whether Judd goes to Carlton or Collingwood. Looking like Collingwood for mine.

But since when is Palmer considered a top 5 pick? I am not sure there is a massive demand for 180cm mids without great skills or great pace though. Please dont interpret this as me saying he isn't any good - just that I think he is more a pick 20+ selection than a top 5 choice.

He has killed it this season, as an 18 year old for the East Freo seniors, i watched a game myself where's he dominated from the middle, and booted about 4 or 5 goals as well.

Isn't overally quick, but has a decent body on him, a bit of a hard nut, and finds the ball with ease, he'll be highly sought after imo for sides that want a bit of grunt in the midfield, similar kind of player to Jordan Lewis, who was also taken in the top 10.

#EDIT

Found this little piece on the kid
http://www.**********.net/2007-afl-draft-prospect-rhys-palmer/

2007 AFL Draft Prospect: Rhys Palmer
August 11th 2007 13:46
Name: Rhys Palmer
Height: 180
Weight: 76
State: Western Australia
Club(s): East Fremantle

AFL Positions:
His AFL team will put him in the middle and also allow him to go forward and kick goals. He will be more of an outside midfielder at the start of his AFL career.

Perfect Fit For:
The Dockers could use a bit more run in the middle, Palmer would be a perfect fit for them in many ways.

**********.net prediction:
Palmer should go in the top 10, maybe top 5. His performances during the Under 18 Championships certainly pushed him higher up in the draft. It might depend on where they finish, and a few more wins could change their spot in the first round, but Fremantle are probably the favourite to select him.

AFL Fantasy Outlook:
With all of the statistics that he accumulated in the Under 18 games, Palmer will be someone that is signed up by a lot of fantasy coaches next year. His fantasy price would be expected to at least triple during 2008.

PT, you are not really telling me anything I dont know about Palmer - I have also seen him play several times.

I stand by my comments that I dont think he is a top 5 draft pick. If you think his speed and foot skills are as good as Cotchin's then you haven't been watching. Most of the other top picks will be big, athletic types. A club is going to have to absolutely fall in love with him during the interview process for him to go top 5...I dont see it, I just dont.

Put it this way - I think he will be on the board for our selection, Pick 5. Would you stand pat and take him??? Because I cannot see any other way he is a top 5 pick.

PT, you are not really telling me anything I dont know about Palmer - I have also seen him play several times.

I stand by my comments that I dont think he is a top 5 draft pick. If you think his speed and foot skills are as good as Cotchin's then you haven't been watching. Most of the other top picks will be big, athletic types. A club is going to have to absolutely fall in love with him during the interview process for him to go top 5...I dont see it, I just dont.

Put it this way - I think he will be on the board for our selection, Pick 5. Would you stand pat and take him??? Because I cannot see any other way he is a top 5 pick.

Well, i haven't seen ANY of the other kids, well except for Kruzer in last years championships, and i only stated that they both [Morton & Palmer] are rated pretty high - going by OTHER "so-called" experts, i just stated that PERHAPS they would like to grab both being local kids with the "being spooked by Judds departure", just my opinion, nothing more.

As you can read by that column i just dug up, they rate him as a top 10, and MAYBE top 5 selection, and i'm sure their sources know a hell of alot more than me & you.

As for us "so-called" experts, NO-ONE predicted that the Dogs would pick up Everitt & Higgins with pick 11's, but we did, most has us going for the tall option, and once again is the same this season.

With Cotchin, yes, I KNOW he is rated higher than Palmer, most likely be snared with picks 2 or 3, but thats from what i have read, and not seen!

BTW, i said maybe top 5 or 6 draft picks, since when has number 6 been in the top 5.;)

For the record - who do you think we'll grab with pick 5 and why?

mjp - Rhys Palmers stats for this season - East Freo senior team.

14 games
14 goals [incl bags of 5 & 3] from the midfield
139 kicks
112 handballs
47 marks

I know stats don't always tell the full story, but those stats look quite impressive i would have thought, and the game i watched him play, he was awesome.

With him not being overally quick, he could slide, like Shannon Hurn did in his draft, and was the highest rated SA boy from that draft, but he COULD also be a top 10'ner, 5 or 6 wouldn't be out of the question.

As you can read by that column i just dug up, they rate him as a top 10, and MAYBE top 5 selection, and i'm sure their sources know a hell of alot more than me & you.

With no disrespect intended to the experts on AFL Insider, why exactly do they know more than I do? I never comment on any player I haven't seen, and I have seen all the Vic kids a heap of times, and the WA/SA ones at the carnival and on ABC2 if they are playing seniors. I have seen at least one TAC Cup game live every week for the last 3 years, and at least one more on tape. I actually think I have a fair handle on the players.

I cannot comment for you, but if you believe that they know more than you, then I guess they do. Then again, perhaps they are reading the same stuff everyone else is and regurgitating it in a central point!

I have been on the record saying that I hope Ben McEvoy is still around at pick 5, and if he is I would take him. I have seen some negative comments about his game in the GF on the weekend...fair enough I guess, he wasn't great. But he didn't drop his head and had a fair old crack in the second half after moving into the ruck - he kept at it. Not a great day, but not a terrible one either. And yes, I watched from the MCG and not from the tv coverage, and can say that the delivery to him when he was playing forward was absolutely deplorable.

I have further said that I would really like to see Callan Ward at the club, which will take some nifty work because he will be gone by the time our second rounder comes along. If we took him at 5 I would be ecstatic - but I suspect the general membership of the club would be in uproar given he is not a 'tall'....

Oh - I cannot imagine much of anything will spook West Coast. They will take whoever they think is the best player and be done with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back