Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I love “Tanner’s rapt”, he’ll be out of there end 2022 for sure

Exactly you’d think they’d learn that talented kids aren’t happy staying interstate to play 2nd tier competitions because there position is stacked with similar A grade senior players.

If any teams other than Essendon should’ve been looking at bolstering it’s spine it would’ve been the Giants and Kangaroos.

Strange giants overlooked Chapman.

I guess MCCartney took Bruhn because he believes he’d be worth a top 5 pick after 2 years and 11 games.

Quayle had us pegged. Im with you Lore we need to poach her haha

I know its a little thing but with the Collingwood article and that video, i would love if Essendon di that one draft.
😁 She's better than Twomey 🙃

The insight is great, and it doesn't spoil anything since it's over. Although Dodoro's SEN interview wasn't half bad if you haven't heard it yet.

Exactly you’d think they’d learn that talented kids aren’t happy staying interstate to play 2nd tier competitions because there position is stacked with similar A grade senior players.

If any teams other than Essendon should’ve been looking at bolstering it’s spine it would’ve been the Giants and Kangaroos.

I guess MCCartney took Bruhn because he believes he’d be worth a top 5 pick after 2 years and 11 games.
It should help them to at least be in a decent second tier comp now. Probably the only good thing with the VFL&EC merger.

Henderson yes looked washed up.
Harry T no for me. Has always been good and really he is an A grade star so even at 80% he is 20% better than an Ambrose.
Not sure what that has to do with anything given we a re looking 3 years forward. Hooker will be gone. Hurley may be there and Ambrose will be gone as he is simply a good average player. Like I said he is no Harry Taylor.

What is wrong with picking 200cm players that move like 190cm players ? We are not talking big plodders here. You seem to be stuck on the center meters. Cox produced midfield numbers at testing. He runs around like a 190cm midfielder. He will be something different to anything else if they can convert his raw ability into AFL level.
In a three year draft plan you pick the best of what you think is in that 3 year block. From the information I have gleaned from a few inside the system although the form is not totally exposed this was the draft to pick your KP players early as the depth was there. Next year will be load up on midfield and then the following year balance things out.
The other aspect is are the midfielders we passed on as good as a McGrath or Caldwell or even Parish ? Should we pick a midfielder and pass on a tall when we are not getting the absolute best player given we do have some young midfielders with 7 or 8 years left in them and the next draft looks to hold greater midfield depth. Of course IMO you do pick Hollands if he was there.
The extra midfielder could also come over summer. We will have two spots so one spot to be filled before the season and the next one most likely mid season once we see who is up and running in the VFL / SANFL ? WAFL

Right now maybe we are a bit tall but I can guarantee in 2024 at least 50% of our tall stock will be different.
Secondly 190cm or 200cm. Who cares ? If these blokes can run and kick like 188cm midfielders then it is no issue being 200cm over 195cm.
At the start of a mini rebuild where you are looking at two to three drafts I do not see the issue if you find your KP prospects in the first draft.
AS for next years KP players , yes some will come through and shoot up the order but I have had a look at the pool and right now there are only two or 3 in the top 30 and one in the top 15 range. I can not see 7 or 8 pushing through into the top 30 to give the same depth as this year. 3 or 4 maybe with 2 or 3 moving towards top 10.
I think the long term thinking shown in this draft is just so foreign to Essendon fans that many are hung up on 2021 list balance.

The hot news - our list will be pretty average next year. This is what a rebuild looks like. It’s clever to get the talls first as they take longer to come along.

If we don’t improve next year we get another high pick and Merrett probably leaves... we get some quality shorter players. End of 2022 we purge the talls that aren’t going to make it and balance the list as well as we can.

2023 should be interesting.

I think the long term thinking shown in this draft is just so foreign to Essendon fans that many are hung up on 2021 list balance.

The hot news - our list will be pretty average next year. This is what a rebuild looks like. It’s clever to get the talls first as they take longer to come along.

If we don’t improve next year we get another high pick and Merrett probably leaves... we get some quality shorter players. End of 2022 we purge the talls that aren’t going to make it and balance the list as well as we can.

2023 should be interesting.

Merrett won’t leave if he can see light at end of the tunnel. If he wanted to he could’ve done so this year.

Merrett won’t leave if he can see light at end of the tunnel. If he wanted to he could’ve done so this year.
If we lose a lot and our percentage is good, he'll stay.

If we lose a lot and our percentage is trash, he'll leave.

That's how I'm thinking of it anyway.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When Joe brought the Bombers back and won the game against hawks. I floated the idea that it could cost us at draft. But there was a lot the supporter base that said they didn't care because they'd prefer to smash hawks.

Now that Hollands went at GCs pick and we finished 2 points higher on the ladder, are those same people happy that Joe won that game for us now?

And how do you think the draft would have changed for bombers. Hollands cox perkins or Hollands cox Reid? Or just still cox perkins Reid.

When Joe brought the Bombers back and won the game against hawks. I floated the idea that it could cost us at draft. But there was a lot the supporter base that said they didn't care because they'd prefer to smash hawks.

Now that Hollands went at GCs pick and we finished 2 points higher on the ladder, are those same people happy that Joe won that game for us now?

And how do you think the draft would have changed for bombers. Hollands cox perkins or Hollands cox Reid? Or just still cox perkins Reid.
We prob don’t get 7 for Joe then. Too many sliding doors

Daniher doesnt have that game there is no chance we get pick 7 for him.

It is 6, 7, 8
Or
5, 7 (Saad), 23ish (Daniher compo if he doesnt have that Hawthorn game).

The 'real sliding door' is the draw vs Gold Coast. If Pidge doesnt smother that shot with 5secs left GC win and finish higher than us.
BUT i will never criticise a player for being desperate to win a footy game. Goodness know we need more of that, not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair GWS need to keep bringing in mids

They lost Hatley and Caldwell, Kelly is he staying? Deboer is very close to the end

I think Angwin will be used in a HBF/Wing role and likewise they have Perryman who was drafted as a half back

I guess they rated Bruhn ahead and didnt want to miss on him and were happier to miss on Chapman

To be fair GWS need to keep bringing in mids

They lost Hatley and Caldwell, Kelly is he staying? Deboer is very close to the end

I think Angwin will be used in a HBF/Wing role and likewise they have Perryman who was drafted as a half back

I guess they rated Bruhn ahead and didnt want to miss on him and were happier to miss on Chapman

They’ll be in a world of pain in 3-4 year I reckon. IMO Kelly is goneskies unless Hogan turns his life around and brings success to the Giants.

If Adelaide took Stone they were going to trade up and take Chapman.

They’ll be in a world of pain in 3-4 year I reckon. IMO Kelly is goneskies unless Hogan turns his life around and brings success to the Giants.

I think their in big trouble next year let alone in 3-4 but yeh wont take them long to be in the same seat as Gold Coast

They will be relying on a good start at of the blocks otherwise the wheels will fall off pretty quickly

Lack alot of depth, dont have any small defenders would be the only club worse than us in this half back area

I think their in big trouble next year let alone in 3-4 but yeh wont take them long to be in the same seat as Gold Coast

They will be relying on a good start at of the blocks otherwise the wheels will fall off pretty quickly

Lack alot of depth, dont have any small defenders would be the only club worse than us in this half back area
They have Lachlan Ash as a future star half back, they really like what Cumming offers and have just added Wehr aswell. I prefer their half back stocks tbh. Won’t be shocked to see Bruhn line up in defence in his first year aswell.

They will be fine. Hopper, Taranto, Green, Himmelberg, Daniels and Riccardi could carry that side to prelims by themselves in their primes.

They will be fine. Hopper, Taranto, Green, Himmelberg, Daniels and Riccardi could carry that side to prelims by themselves in their primes.
Am I the only bloke who thinks Brent Daniels isn't that good?

6 players isn’t near enough to get you sustained success. I’d argue that McGrath, Langford, Parish, Ridley, Draper and Caldwell don’t compare too badly to that group and we’re miles off a prelim.

Am I the only bloke who thinks Brent Daniels isn't that good?

Think he’s a small midfielder they are playing forward, Kicked game winning goals on multiple times too. Play him in the guts I think you get something close to Caleb Daniels.

Last edited:
6 players isn’t near enough to get you sustained success. I’d argue that McGrath, Langford, Parish, Ridley, Draper and Caldwell don’t compare too badly to that group and we’re miles off a prelim.

The trifecta is Hopper, Green and Taranto. McGrath and Ridley are similar class but not as important in type for success and standard setting. Im tipping their prime they will be top 10 players at the same time. You get a combination like that I think it’ll be easy enough to balance out the rest with Lyons Freo types.

Agree to disagree as they had those players last year and have now lost Cameron and Williams with the focus on Kelly will he stay or go PLUS LC is a poor coach tactically speaking IMO.

They did well to make the GF but in that season they showed they were starting to fall. Last year was more of the same.

Back