Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
First Round Phantom 2020.PNG
Second Round Phantom.PNG
Third Round Phantom.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodoro's history suggests we'll bid on all the boys expected to go inside the top 15 to, you know, keep the other clubs honest. Until it backfires and we end up with someone we don't really need
I don’t think it’ll backfire in that sense, we wouldn’t bid on someone unless we really rated them. It’ll back fire when we have a highly rated kid and all the clubs will be after payback.

Swerving Irv

Senior List
Dec 2, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In my view, we desperately need a minimum of two midfielders (6'2 plus and with strong contested games) and two key forwards, one more of a leading type, and one who can take contested grabs. Any of the above we might be a chance to get? I know this draft is massively compromised (academies etc) and we have Brand and Eyre coming through.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
In my view, we desperately need a minimum of two midfielders (6'2 plus and with strong contested games) and two key forwards, one more of a leading type, and one who can take contested grabs. Any of the above we might be a chance to get? I know this draft is massively compromised (academies etc) and we have Brand and Eyre coming through.

And a ruckman too.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Huh? Maybe a backup but not a young one

How old would the ruckman/men be that you'd prefer?

FWIW, I'd have Draper and Crauford tag teaming next year.

Those 2 can fight for No. 1.

Phillips No. 3.

Bryan 4th.

Draftee/s 5th and/or 6th.

Phillips No. 3.

Bryan 4th.

Dump Phillips and bring in someone that's not a spud for that 2nd/3rd. Crauford hasn't played senior state league yet so I'd like to have someone else as that 2nd in a perfect world. Don't need a 5th ruck.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Dodoro's history suggests we'll bid on all the boys expected to go inside the top 15 to, you know, keep the other clubs honest. Until it backfires and we end up with someone we don't really need

If you're referring to Mosquito, we definitely needed him. By the time of the draft Fantasia and Tippa were the only two small forwards on our list.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Phillips No. 3.

Bryan 4th.

Dump Phillips and bring in someone that's not a spud for that 2nd/3rd. Crauford hasn't played senior state league yet so I'd like to have someone else as that 2nd in a perfect world. Don't need a 5th ruck.

#1 ruck ast the club - Draper
# 1 ruckmen who can step in if need be - Phillips
# 3 This year wil have stimied the development of Bryan & Crauford. Both athletically gifted enough to step up quicker than what a ruck normally takes. Crauford physically could step up quicker than normal here and allow Bryan to be our #4 on the list.
# 4 young developing ruckmen playing some minutes at the lower level. pushing #3 over the course of the year. - Bryan

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

A big bodied midfielder would be great but a natural midfielder would just about do me. Our first pick absolutely must be a midfielder. No if but or maybes.

Zac Dumnsey (187cm/79kg) Midfielder from South Adelaide
Ellijah Hollands (188cm,85kg) Possible #1 pick who will be returning from knee injury.
Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm/76kg) Ball winning midfielder who is close mates with last years highly touted WA captain Deven Robertson.
Archie Perkins (186cm/77kg) Explosive midfielder/fwd.
Caleb Poulter (191cm/77kg) Long kicking mid/def who has been playing at senior SANFL level.
Zane Trew (187cm78kg) Ball hog at WAFL colts level for Swan Districts.

These are the kids from the AFL.com.au article by draft guru Cal Twomey who could fit i our needs moving forward.

Swerving Irv

Senior List
Dec 2, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
A big bodied midfielder would be great but a natural midfielder would just about do me. Our first pick absolutely must be a midfielder. No if but or maybes.

Zac Dumnsey (187cm/79kg) Midfielder from South Adelaide
Ellijah Hollands (188cm,85kg) Possible #1 pick who will be returning from knee injury.
Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm/76kg) Ball winning midfielder who is close mates with last years highly touted WA captain Deven Robertson.
Archie Perkins (186cm/77kg) Explosive midfielder/fwd.
Caleb Poulter (191cm/77kg) Long kicking mid/def who has been playing at senior SANFL level.
Zane Trew (187cm78kg) Ball hog at WAFL colts level for Swan Districts.

These are the kids from the AFL.com.au article by draft guru Cal Twomey who could fit i our needs moving forward.
Agreed. I'm not even that fussed by size in terms of height, but stocky midfielders that won't be knocked off the ball easily. Lachie Neale esque.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Wasn't anything specific, just a reflection on how I perceive Dodoro'and his actions.

Fair enough, with the exception of Silvangi who I perceive he was doing a favour to SOS with, I think he’s wanted everyone he bid on.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
In my opinion first pick has to be a genuine ball hunting midfielder Trew, O’driscoll, bid on McInnes, Powell etc. Then with question marks over Fantasia and Laverdes bodies our next pick should be a mid size fwd who has x-factor / game changing qualities. So whether we trade up and get another late first/ early 2nd a look at a Henry (doubt he’ll be available)Perkins/Ford or look at one later on in Cardillo/Stone/Bedendo. We’ll then obviously take Brand and maybe Eyre depending on how highly we rate him/list spots.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ve been going over a few scenarios in terms of Likely wins and loses and what it will mean for our draft hand.

If we lose every game which isn’t impossible we are very likely looking at a bottom 4 finish so pick 4 is likely, win a single game and its likely pick 6 especially if that side is the hawks that we beat.

Now losing to hawks and being bottom 4 would suck but it could have huge ramifications if say we lose Daniher and get a 1st band comp. We could get 4 and 5 which would really help get some quality youth into the club.

At the same time your hoping Crouch doesn’t get 1st band compo but even if he does 5+6 certainly better than 7-8

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ve been going over a few scenarios in terms of Likely wins and loses and what it will mean for our draft hand.

If we lose every game which isn’t impossible we are very likely looking at a bottom 4 finish so pick 4 is likely, win a single game and its likely pick 6 especially if that side is the hawks that we beat.

Now losing to hawks and being bottom 4 would suck but it could have huge ramifications if say we lose Daniher and get a 1st band comp. We could get 4 and 5 which would really help get some quality youth into the club.

At the same time your hoping Crouch doesn’t get 1st band compo but even if he does 5+6 certainly better than 7-8
Playing hawthorn off a 5 day break after Darwin is a massive advantage for them. Wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped that game. I can’t see us getting band 1 unless daniher comes back kicks a couple of bags and the lions and swans get in a bidding war.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Playing hawthorn off a 5 day break after Darwin is a massive advantage for them. Wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped that game. I can’t see us getting band 1 unless daniher comes back kicks a couple of bags and the lions and swans get in a bidding war.
We won’t let him go cheaply so I could see either side putting the money up just to avoid Dodoro entirely haha

I see it as we either get that or they show no interest at all and he stays another year. I’m fine with either result at this stage.

Why do you have Logan McDonald so low?

Watched his 4 goal game via the 7+ app on TV and he’s certainly impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think the ones at the top are his pre-season rankings.

Back