Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been advocating this for a few weeks now. Why do we need to look after other teams when an academy kid would fit us perfectly. McCinnes (Col) & Jones (PA) are two examples in this years draft class.

In saying that, Dodo seems like the bloke who if bid came for Brand at 40 would decide to let him go and no match.
He has history bidding on other club's players. Silvagni, Coleman, Mozzie come to mind. I would be very surprised if we keep all of 6,7,8 and don't bid on a player.

I dunno bout Brand, if Dodoro wants him, he'll take him. But he strikes me more as the type of guy who will do his very best to hide talent under his nose so the bid doesn't come as high.
What were Brand's combine test results again?
Come to think of it, wouldn't surprise if he made a special work trip to Wuhan last year.

Would we take both Cox and Reid (with Eyre and Brand to come)? Seems to be same mistakes of the past to load up on talls and be weak in the midfield. At one point we had Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle, Joey and Ryder but not enough elite mids (poor Jobe). You can argue the talls take longer to develop and maybe our midfield depth isnt too bad (but big risk we will lose Merrett). I'd prefer to take 2 mids and 1 tall with picks 6, 7 and 8. Then next year, we will likely have an early pick plus possibly compo or good trade for Merrett and can go again. Sounds like we go for Perkins and likely Reid before Cox. Not sure re the other pick especially given Bruhn injury history but maybe that is the go. O'Driscoll seems unlikely as early as 8.

people keep talking up Brand and Eyre as sure things, yet historically guys picked outside the first round have a very small chance of making it to 100 games.

how many KPPs in the Coleman top 10 came from outside the first round?

Imo we’re better off treating those two as a speculative free hit and make our first round picks the focus of our list management.

people keep talking up Brand and Eyre as sure things, yet historically guys picked outside the first round have a very small chance of making it to 100 games.

Imo we’re better off treating those two as a speculative free hit and make our first round picks the focus of our list management.
Hawkins (F/S admittedly)
Gunston
Taberner
Papley (Played as the Swans KPF a lot of the year)

Stewart (27), Wright (24), Jones (20), Bryan (19), Eyre (18)
Hooker (32), Hurley (30), Ambrose (30), Zerk (20), Irish lads (20?) , Brand (18)

KPD feels more of a pressing need with 3x 30yo+ reaching the end.
Part of me thinks go with more depth in Reid & Cox. Other part of me says look elsewhere for KPD prospects in the early/mid 20yo age range & build the midfield.

There were onlty 3 first round picks in the Coleman top 10 this year (Lynch, Riewoldt and Kennedy)
There were only 2 last year.

I think you need to factor in that Hawkins was a father-son and Dixon was a priority selection - The top 5 and all are key position players

Last edited:

Who knows where they'd have been taken with another year of junior footy?

Our list has plenty of holes at the moment and is in dire need of much more young talent. But we're not going to fill all of these holes in one draft so I think we go after the best available players with our picks except for mid sized midfielders as they are about the only position we have an excess of.

Our list has plenty of holes at the moment and is in dire need of much more young talent. But we're not going to fill all of these holes in one draft so I think we go after the best available players with our picks except for mid sized midfielders as they are about the only position we have an excess of.

Problem is this draft is full of mid-sized midfielders it seems

Only thing to say is that, at least as far as I understand, WAFL is generally more open than VFL and SANFL. Open footy helps key forwards but I wouldn't place too much significance on that.
I think it's also telling that one of the better opponents he matched up on was a fellow draft prospect in DGB. From the games I watched, WAFL KDs seemed to be shorter, stronger types, which might suit a lighter, hard-leading tall.

Last edited:
Problem is this draft is full of mid-sized midfielders it seems
Yeah that's basically the problem, especially at our pick. I think we need to go Perkins and Cox/Reid and then the other has to come down to who the recruiters rank higher out of say O'Driscoll and Cox/Reid.

Cox though seems like he could play anywhere so I wouldn't be concerned with too many talls in this draft as he has the endurance to play as a wing or flanker, particularly early on.

So because he is the clear number 2 or 3 there are alarms?
As much as I like reading your stuff right now I will stick the guys I know who have worked in recruiting and have been watching the WA kids for 20 plus years.

I actually like reading all the views . You can come across common themes that back your own views or judgment or you can find stuff to look for that you may have missed.
Where have I said there are alarms? Yes he’s a clear 2-3 pick in a year when Half draft pool didn’t play their top age year, would he still be ranked their if they did. If Adelaide are looking at Thilthorpe and north are apparently very keen on Hollands why should we be in such a rush to trade up for him, when the teams at the top apparently are going to pick the ‘generational’ forward right in front of them. If essendon had a top 3 pick I’d happily take Mcdonald, but I’m against over paiding to get to that position where we could have 2 kids they are just as good.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Cox as a winger roaming between the arcs and being a nightmare match up for over a decade.

With his height and athleticism, he could help getting the ball out of the backline by providing those pressure relieving marks on the arc or along the boundary against shorter opponents.

If he can burn off opponents running into defence, he is more than a handy height to provide back up for the defensive unit.

Going forward hopefully he could also use his kicking skills to hit targets inside 50.

Apart from maybe Langford and Walla, I don't have much faith in anyone else reliably hitting i50 targets with consistency.

If he doesn't workout in this role then there's always scope to turn him into a defender or forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's basically the problem, especially at our pick. I think we need to go Perkins and Cox/Reid and then the other has to come down to who the recruiters rank higher out of say O'Driscoll and Cox/Reid.

Cox though seems like he could play anywhere so I wouldn't be concerned with too many talls in this draft as he has the endurance to play as a wing or flanker, particularly early on.
If we could trust Heppell to get through a full year & Caldwell being ready to go, could go Perkins, Cox & Reid
Perkins adds an inside mid who is less beast/more class (going off reading only)
Reid as the Hooker replacement w/Brand & Eyre earmarked for Hurley & Stewart respectively.
Cox then gives you that option as a KPP at either end, or a point of difference on a wing.

Then add the best big body mid we can get next year plus whoever else is on the market

A lot of strategies we can opt for this year

I like the idea of Cox as a winger roaming between the arcs and being a nightmare match up for over a decade.

With his height and athleticism, he could help getting the ball out of the backline by providing those pressure relieving marks on the arc or along the boundary against shorter opponents.

If he can burn off opponents running into defence, he is more than a handy height to provide back up for the defensive unit.

Going forward hopefully he could also use his kicking skills to hit targets inside 50.

Apart from maybe Langford and Walla, I don't have much faith in anyone else reliably hitting i50 targets with consistency.

If he doesn't workout in this role then there's always scope to turn him into a defender or forward.
1606101875377.jpeg

Pick 6 🤢
Terrible draft that year. Andrew Walker at 2, Col Sylvia at 3. Directly after Kepler was Kane Tenace, Raph Clarke, David Trotter and Riley Dunn.

Pick 6 🤢
Terrible draft that year. Andrew Walker at 2, Col Sylvia at 3. Directly after Kepler was Kane Tenace, Raph Clarke, David Trotter and Riley Dunn.
Wow you're not wrong. Didn't realise how bad it was so looked it up. Stants probably the 3rd best player from that draft after Cooney and Mundy

If we could trust Heppell to get through a full year & Caldwell being ready to go, could go Perkins, Cox & Reid
Perkins adds an inside mid who is less beast/more class (going off reading only)
Reid as the Hooker replacement w/Brand & Eyre earmarked for Hurley & Stewart respectively.
Cox then gives you that option as a KPP at either end, or a point of difference on a wing.

Then add the best big body mid we can get next year plus whoever else is on the market

A lot of strategies we can opt for this year
We also have plenty of cap space so a FA signing or front ending contracts for a big FA signing within the next few years is also an option

Wow you're not wrong. Didn't realise how bad it was so looked it up. Stants probably the 3rd best player from that draft after Cooney and Mundy
Shaw (F/S)
Cooney
Mundy
Fisher
Stanton
Adcock
Rischitelli

Then you can argue the merits of McLean, Walker, Chaplin and Butler for the rest of the top 10

Shaw (F/S)
Cooney
Mundy
Fisher
Stanton
Adcock
Rischitelli

Then you can argue the merits of McLean, Walker, Chaplin and Butler for the rest of the top 10
Didn't see Shaw down there. I'd have Stants 4th

Didn't see Shaw down there. I'd have Stants 4th
Imagine if we'd gotten Stanton with 6, Mundy with 13, Adcock with 28 and Fisher with 44

Anyone know how to get the involvement reels from last year's NAB league for some of this year's prospects? Looks like the app has been wiped clean.

Where have I said there are alarms? Yes he’s a clear 2-3 pick in a year when Half draft pool didn’t play their top age year, would he still be ranked their if they did. If Adelaide are looking at Thilthorpe and north are apparently very keen on Hollands why should we be in such a rush to trade up for him, when the teams at the top apparently are going to pick the ‘generational’ forward right in front of them. If essendon had a top 3 pick I’d happily take Mcdonald, but I’m against over paiding to get to that position where we could have 2 kids they are just as good.

Lets get one thing straight. I am not in the trade up camp.

However you are saying there are alarms. You are questioning why he is not number 1. You are questioning why other clubs "may" be interested in someone else.
These are your words

" Mcdonald isn’t a generational player "

" McDonald’s performances in the wafl are getting blown out of proportion I feel, he started the season really well with 3 good games and played okay for the rest of the season. The question is, if his performances in the wafl were so dominating, why isn’t he a clear no.1 pick already not just being talked about as a top 4 - and that’s without the Victorian kids playing at all. You’d have to think if Victorian kids played 3-4 kids would really push their names to the top of the order after really coming on in their top age years "

So you do have some alarms.
Personally I do not think it matters that the Vic kids have not played. Who knows they could have dropped back a little as well.
The fact is there have been very few KP players go into a draft with a full season of senior footy even if he did even out over the season.
It is also easy to work out why he is not a clear number 1. There is another KP prospect that showed great potential and a couple of midfielders that look very good as well.

I am stating a different view that comes from people with lengthy experience. It is not wrong or right but it is a counter to your argument. I would also listen to foj a bit more. Like all of us he is not always right but he has been around under 18 footy on the inside in Melbourne for more years than most and has a long record here.

It comes down to how the club interoperates its order.
Adelaide may value Thilthorpe not because he is better than McDonald but he is a dual position kid from SA.
Right now I doubt who North will go for given it is 3 weeks out and the coach has only just been appointed .

Back