Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it be too much dreaming to hope we could get Sinn, Long, Murley, and Wanganeen (rookie) and a PSS slot?

A HBF/Mid with speed & disposal, a tall mid, an exciting potentially under priced forward/mid, a F/S excitement cheap forward, and keep the excitement going with a PSS selection!
Yes. Long would be lucky to last to 30, surely. Murley maybe not to out thirds either

I’d love to get long if he’s still on the board in the 30-40 range, although we might go for a different need if we land a Goater / Erasmaus type at 11.
He's definitely one I would have little issue trading an F2 and current third up for.

Would it be too much dreaming to hope we could get Sinn, Long, Murley, and Wanganeen (rookie) and a PSS slot?

A HBF/Mid with speed & disposal, a tall mid, an exciting potentially under priced forward/mid, a F/S excitement cheap forward, and keep the excitement going with a PSS selection!

I would not be unhappy if it worked that way.

Yes. Long would be lucky to last to 30, surely. Murley maybe not to out thirds either
By the time the Daicos and Darcy bids go through 51 and 56 become 44 and 49

If Ned long gets to any where in the mid 30s i would have no issue trading both of them to move up to get him. A team like Adelaide who has 4, 33 and 75 might prefer those two picks than one pick in the 30s for example.

By the time the Daicos and Darcy bids go through 51 and 56 become 44 and 49

If Ned long gets to any where in the mid 30s i would have no issue trading both of them to movebup to get him. A team like Adelaide who has 4, 33 and 75 might prefer those two picks than one pick in the 30s for example.
And if Fahey, Windhager and Owens are after 20 then both push back 3 picks. If Windhager is at the first of those picks I would be disappointed if we didn't bid.

The 3 picks

- Inside mid
- small forward
- Running Half Back/Small Forward

I believe Tom Cutler is still our next in line defender that would be VFL outside our best 22. Unless we believe Durham is ok as backup aswell

Maybe only one small forward is needed if we feel we have enough with Tippa, Dev Smith, Snelling, Perkins, Waterman, D.Clarke

Just think alot of that group will be gone very shortly (I know the 2 Daveys) but there is potential for 2 small forwards if theres someone we really like still available.

Who knows where we will see Guelfi next year. That might play a part. Still think he can play a role. Hes determined, does what the coaches say, disciplined, has speed and aggression.

Last edited:
And if Fahey, Windhager and Owens are after 20 then both push back 3 picks. If Windhager is at the first of those picks I would be disappointed if we didn't bid.

GWS 53 and 54 will be gone bringing 56 in another spot with Fahey bid

Saints i believe need more points so id say they end up with one ahead if not 2 of us by bid time

The 3 picks

- Inside mid
- small forward
- Running Half Back/Small Forward
I really don't get this. We were 4th in the league for centre clearances, I think it was 9th for stoppages. Yes, that could improve, but Shiel & Caldwell missed most of the year each, and Draper, McGrath and Langford missed big chunks. We're still improving the relationship with Draper, who should also get stronger at the stoppages than he currently is. And we're hoping Perkins will also develop into an inside mid (Ant555's misgivings noted).

I can understand some wanting marking power in the midfield, and I definitely want high level disposal. But I really don't understand why more clearance strength would be a priority when we have Parish, Stringer, Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell and Langford, and Perkins developing.

Agree with the other priorities listed.

I really don't get this. We were 4th in the league for centre clearances, I think it was 9th for stoppages. Yes, that could improve, but Shiel & Caldwell missed most of the year each, and Draper, McGrath and Langford missed big chunks. We're still improving the relationship with Draper, who should also get stronger at the stoppages than he currently is. And we're hoping Perkins will also develop into an inside mid (Ant555's misgivings noted).

I can understand some wanting marking power in the midfield, and I definitely want high level disposal. But I really don't understand why more clearance strength would be a priority when we have Parish, Stringer, Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell and Langford, and Perkins developing.

I swear we destroyed the bulldogs midfield in clearances in round 21 and it wasn't even close. We're very good centre bounce clearance team, i swear some people just look at the average height of a midfield and try and correlate it to centre clearances.

I have a feeling Amiss, NWM or Goater will be one of the players we draft on the night, i think the saints take NWM with their pick, i'd be extremely surprised if Goater wasn't available at our pick, and Amiss i just feel will get overlooked by Fremantle but maybe Weagles select to replace Kennedy. Alternatively, maybe the Eagles look somewhere else and maybe go the pathway of a Johnson, Draper, Sinn, Rachele, NWM type player, more so than a forward.

I have a feeling Amiss, NWM or Goater will be one of the players we draft on the night, i think the saints take NWM with their pick, i'd be extremely surprised if Goater wasn't available at our pick, and Amiss i just feel will get overlooked by Fremantle but maybe Weagles select to replace Kennedy. Alternatively, maybe the Eagles look somewhere else and maybe go the pathway of a Johnson, Draper, Sinn, Rachele, NWM type player, more so than a forward.
Top of Freo's list will be getting a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top of Freo's list will be getting a key forward.
I thought that too, but the more i think about it, i think a Erasmus & Rachele/NWM with their two picks would make sense too. I've seen a few freo supporters not too keen on Amiss and think JVR is the better player, and maybe that is an indication that Amiss isn't in their sights but i could be well wrong. I just feel it's super strange that there isn't enough noise or assurances of Amiss going to be selected by Freo, normally by now clubs are set on a few names if they
get though to their pick, but with there picks i feel Erasmus is nailed on with one of their picks inside the top 10.

Not sure if joking

Where have you been?

I think we just need a big inside midfielder to help us around stoppage. Big mids usually take time unless your getting a real top pick which 13 isnt. MJ, Goater ect will take time

They'll be required when Shiel is washed up And a bonus if they can be a main stay before that time.

People think were 3 young inside mids short and ive been saying were only 1 short and 99% have argued against that

My bets on Erazmus and Amiss/M.Andrew for freo if available

Then at 19 which probably could end up being traded especially if a Sonsie is available still. But if not theyd be keen on JVR there although tigers probably sneak in ahead

They have been linked to NVW and Rachelle aswell

Eagles wont go past Erazmus. They need a mid or small forward. Erazmus, MJ, Rachelle will be their priorities id say. Think the eagles have drafted 2 first rounders in the last 10 years that remain on the list. Sheed and Duggan

Inside mid does not have to be a clearance beast. Example. Jack Graham. Inside mid. Blocks. Plays team role. Slots forward and can kick goals.
Not using him as an exact size we may need. We just need a physical guy. Even if Archie does develop to a midfielder he will be more of a tall version of Parish. He attacks the footy when he has to but being a brute is not in his game. Same with Langford.
We may be 9th in clearances but we where terrible as far as contested footy goes and that was mainly due to a number of light bodies in various positions rather than our outright midfielders in Parish and Merrett.
We need all three mentioned.

Not sure if joking

Where have you been?

I think we just need a big inside midfielder to help us around stoppage. Big mids usually take time unless your getting a real top pick which 13 isnt. MJ, Goater ect will take time

They'll be required when Shiel is washed up And a bonus if they can be a main stay before that time.

People think were 3 young inside mids short and ive been saying were only 1 short and 99% have argued against that

So we can draft the other two in three years then :p

I will throw one out there that has not been discussed a lot for a later pick if we do not go tall midfielder early.
Tyreece Leiu from Eastern. Has to improve his output over a whole game and even week to week but he has played inside midfield as well as some time forward and back. He is a big unit . 194cm 93 kg so body wise he is ready to go. In fact an AFL program may well strip off a couple of kg.
Played for Vic metro in the under 16 but has missed under Metro because of injury. Was named in Eastern's best in 4 of the 6 games they played this year.

Ned Long from Sandy would be another. Errr Northern :oops:

If only he was called Tyreek he'd be a must draft after the NFL version.

Not sure if joking

Where have you been?

No, I’m not joking. And you haven’t really responded to my points.

Shiel isn’t huge, we don’t need one to replace him in 4 years time.

We did pretty well in the contests. We’ll be adding Caldwell in. McGrath will get better. Shiel will be available. Perkins may develop into that type.
It really shouldn’t be a priority.

Inside mid does not have to be a clearance beast. Example. Jack Graham. Inside mid. Blocks. Plays team role. Slots forward and can kick goals.
Not using him as an exact size we may need. We just need a physical guy. Even if Archie does develop to a midfielder he will be more of a tall version of Parish. He attacks the footy when he has to but being a brute is not in his game. Same with Langford.
We may be 9th in clearances but we where terrible as far as contested footy goes and that was mainly due to a number of light bodies in various positions rather than our outright midfielders in Parish and Merrett.
We need all three mentioned.
Keystone is clearly after a big inside beast. He/she says so. And with the type you’re saying, we’ll be effectively adding Caldwell and McGrath back into the side.

We weren’t terrible for contested possession. We were eighth in average contested possession differential across the season. That is with key clearance mids missing big chunks of the year, and playing a num young players with no/limited preseasons and/or 2020 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back