Status
Not open for further replies.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon, I reckon, needs a thick as **** player and I hope that Will Gould can slide and be that player.

191cm-97kg are his dimensions and I'm sick of Essendon drafting skinny buggers.
I’m the opposite and want us to take some speedsters with classy ball use, not that I’d knock Gould but doubt he lasts to our picks anyway. Hugo Ralph-Smith I think is exactly the type of player we need coming through a player with speed and athleticism who can play on a wing and drift forward to hit the scoreboard.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m the opposite and want us to take some speedsters with classy ball use, not that I’d knock Gould but doubt he lasts to our picks anyway. Hugo Ralph-Smith I think is exactly the type of player we need coming through a player with speed and athleticism who can play on a wing and drift forward to hit the scoreboard.
Who are the big bodied mids (so sick of typing those words!) Coming through?

I wouldn't mind a Whitfield type though. Is that the type of player HRS is?

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Who are the big bodied mids (so sick of typing those words!) Coming through?

I wouldn't mind a Whitfield type though. Is that the type of player HRS is?
Many will go before our pick or are tied elsewhere but they include

Noah Anderson
Brodie Kemp
Tom Green
Cooper Stephens
Finn Maginess
Sam Philp
Cameron Wild
Deven Robertson
Will Martyn

Plenty to play out though and still need to see some other players especially from interstate

HRS isn’t that endurance runner like Whitfield but he is better overhead and more dangerous around goal, hard to pick a comparison off the top of my head but has speed and moves well. A more forward and quicker version of Redman perhaps?

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Need to replace at least 1 inside midfield spot on the list and possibly two. You wouldn't think we'd persist too much longer with Myers. On balance, it's probably more likely than not that D. Clarke will not be on the list at the end of the year.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Need to replace at least 1 inside midfield spot on the list and possibly two. You wouldn't think we'd persist too much longer with Myers. On balance, it's probably more likely than not that D. Clarke will not be on the list at the end of the year.
Still have Mynott aswell coming through and Begley might be used as an inside mid. We have bugger all outside mids/wingman with speed certainly a lot less than we have inside mids.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Still have Mynott aswell coming through and Begley might be used as an inside mid. We have bugger all outside mids/wingman with speed certainly a lot less than we have inside mids.

We'll see how Begley, Ridley and Laverde are used.

On this subject, l was home today (I swear the flu shot is worse than taking my chances with the flu) and watched the first half of the VFL match against Sandi. Laverde's hands in close were great (particularly in a wet slog). If we could just play him I'm still confident he will come good as an inside player. He plays at the required tempo automatically and knows to keep moving through a stoppage which is why he gets free (unlike Langford who gets caught).

As things stand, I think we can shuffle the team with the likes of Fantasia, Redman and McGrath being guys we can use on wings. Even Smith can work out there. At this rate, I'm not confident that we'll get to the end of the year with any clearer idea of our inside mid stocks.

Mynott looks good but he's 1 player.

2 best available midfielders with the 2 second rounders in what sounds like a midfielders draft is a good result.

Or find a club that wants to play funny buggers with points and try to trade back into the top dozen or so

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
We'll see how Begley, Ridley and Laverde are used.

On this subject, l was home today (I swear the flu shot is worse than taking my chances with the flu) and watched the first half of the VFL match against Sandi. Laverde's hands in close were great (particularly in a wet slog). If we could just play him I'm still confident he will come good as an inside player. He plays at the required tempo automatically and knows to keep moving through a stoppage which is why he gets free (unlike Langford who gets caught).

As things stand, I think we can shuffle the team with the likes of Fantasia, Redman and McGrath being guys we can use on wings. Even Smith can work out there. At this rate, I'm not confident that we'll get to the end of the year with any clearer idea of our inside mid stocks.

Mynott looks good but he's 1 player.
Don’t think the wing is McGraths go but I do like Fantasia and Redman for the wing, hopefully Mosquito comes on quick so we can release Fanta up the ground more. McGrath forward aswell is something I wouldn’t mind.

You know my views on Laverde so you have no complaints from me about those thoughts

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

You mean like Fantasia? Or Tippa? Or perhaps even a Redman?

Inside mid is where we need development guys to take over the slack of our current group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

STOP SELECTING FLANKERS TO PLAY AS MIDFIELDERS FFS

A genuine midfielder has the boys around the contest, something a flanker doesn’t naturally have

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
STOP SELECTING FLANKERS TO PLAY AS MIDFIELDERS FFS

A genuine midfielder has the boys around the contest, something a flanker doesn’t naturally have

Langford the obvious one haha Begley has atleast played in the middle in juniors and I’ve seen him do some good things in there, certainly didn’t look out of place.

This Clarke hate has permeated the entire board. ie he can’t kick and won’t make it. I’m bucking the trend and think he will get there. He was everywhere in the first half, and solid disposal.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
This Clarke hate has permeated the entire board. ie he can’t kick and won’t make it. I’m bucking the trend and think he will get there. He was everywhere in the first half, and solid disposal.

It's not "hate". I dont care how the culture has now decided to butcher the language. It's a stupid word to use.

It's not "hate". I dont care how the culture has now decided to butcher the language. It's a stupid word to use.
Something of an odd response, to choose to argue semantics. But you have been highly critical of his game - suggesting he could be delisted at the end of the year. However, that last VFL game showed a lot of positives, and it's only game 1.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Something of an odd response, to choose to argue semantics. But you have been highly critical of his game - suggesting he could be delisted at the end of the year. However, that last VFL game showed a lot of positives, and it's only game 1.

Hate is a very specific thing not readily diluted and couldnt possibly have accout of my acknowledgement/frustration that so much of his game is AFL standard.

Edit: and then there is the idea that to point out flaws in a players game is somehow an expression of hatred.

Last edited:
All 3 have played very limited time on a wing at AFL level

All three can play wing. Wing is pretty much flank in the middle of the ground. The only thing you have to learn is not to get sucked too far over the ground.
Fantaisia played 25 minutes of half back last week. When is 700 meters plus for meters gained you know we are getting through the middle of the ground in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back