Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoda_'s boy Riccardi named in the state combine. Former Essendon VFL player Joel Ottavi as well, but no Essendon VFL player invited to either the State Combine nor the "Rookie Me" Combine. Fletcher wasn't invited to either which bodes well if we want to get him in the RD.

No invite.
That's what I was referring to (not very articulately). Keep him away from other recruiters as much as possible and all that. I'm sure we've seen all we need to make a decision on him, no point giving everyone else a look too.

I know for a fact that 5-6 recruiters from other clubs have seen Riley play for our VFL side at least once. We're not hiding him, it's simply that recruiters haven't put him down as an interested party.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
So eDPS we need (in no particular order)

a) an inside/outside midfielder
b) key position forward to develop
c) small forward
d) ruck

with the picks we currently have (29, 31, 47, 60, 65) could you give us a top 3 - 5 of guys you like?
Good chance Emerson Jeka lasts to our pick at 47 or even 60 by the looks of some pretty reliable draft guys on bigfooty

Was touted as a top 10 prospect 15 months ago and is nice prospect as a KPF if you look past is low production this year.

c) small forward
d) ruck

with the picks we currently have (29, 31, 47, 60, 65) could you give us a top 3 - 5 of guys you like?
I'd almost rather a young key defender to develop over a key forward, especially if the ruck is capable as developing as a forward/ruck. Zerk's development means he could well be ready to be a senior footballer next year.

c) small forward
d) ruck

Can I ask why you think small forward? Mosquito, Tippa and Raz seems ok to me.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Can I ask why you think small forward? Mosquito, Tippa and Raz seems ok to me.
Depth. I deally 1 more pure small forward would be useful.

I am one of Baguley longest backers, but if he was getting games this year with basically one injury in the position (Fanta) then we can possibly do better. Plus he is gone now as well.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon

I am one of Baguley longest backers, but if he was getting games this year with basically one injury in the position (Fanta) then we can possibly do better. Plus he is gone now as well.
Ham is another option as a small Forward

Well yeah but next year Mozzie will hopefully be able to step in where this year he wasn't ready.

I'm not sure adding another 18 year old gives us depth to the position.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Well yeah but next year Mozzie will hopefully be able to step in where this year he wasn't ready.

I'm not sure adding another 18 year old gives us depth to the position.
Who says they have to be 18?

Adam Tipungwuti is 22, Sam Lowson is 23 for example.

I also think Mozzie is 18 months away from being developed enough to play prolonged stints of AFL footy, looking at him this year.

Who says they have to be 18?

Adam Tipungwuti is 22, Sam Lowson is 23 for example.

I also think Mozzie is 18 months away from being developed enough to play prolonged stints of AFL footy, looking at him this year.
Well I might be wrong but by and large eDPS watches the U18's so any suggestion of 3-5 he will make, which was what the original post I replied to was asking for, will largely be u18.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ll link some names to certain ranges so for 29,31 together and 60,65 together

29 and 31

Inside/Outside mids

Thomson Dow 182cm
Harry Schoenberg 180cm
Cooper Stephens 188cm
Jay Rantall 184cm

These are the only kids I think are realistically available at those picks that are worth it at that range, personally think this is an average year for depth of mids

Key Position Forward

Charlie Comben 200cm
Sam De Koning 200cm
Harrison Jones 194cm

Comben can ruck and De Koning and Jones can play either end

Small Forward

Kysaiah Pickett 170cm
Ned Cahill 178cm
Elijah Taylor 185cm
Jack Mahony 176cm
Malcom Rosas Jr 175cm

Plenty of depth for small forwards and a few of these can rotate through the mids

Big framed mid, contested marking key forward, small forward that can take a grab, ruckman, tall utility, small defender.

Will freely admit that I haven’t been paying any sort of attention this year but that’s my shopping list.

Small forward could be Tipungwuti Junior, tall utility will probably be Fletcher Junior and small defender is sounding like it’ll be McQuillan the Irish lad. That’s 3 down already

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 60 and 65

Inside/Outside Midfielders
Ryan Byrnes 181cm
Sam Philp 185cm
Jai Jackson 185cm
Daniel Mott 182cm
Louis Butler 183cm
Chad Warner 181cm
Sam Ramsay 180cm
Josh Honey 184cm
Riley Baldi 178cm
Riley Garcia 175cm

A lot more here, these are players i expect from 40-rookie, plenty of different types with Ramsay and Butler being the most outside of the lot

Key Forwards
Dyson Hilder 196cm
Emerson Jeka 197cm

Both have played at either ends of the ground and I’m still unsure where they would be best suited

Small Forwards
Ben Johnson 180cm
Mitch Martin 183cm
Mitch Mellis 173cm
Josh D’Intinosante 177cm

Johnson can also play as a defender but all 4 look like rookie chances more than anything

Ruckman
Nick Bryan could go anywhere but would be a good long term prospect, Jack Bell another rookie chance.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Big framed mid, contested marking key forward, small forward that can take a grab, ruckman, tall utility, small defender.

Will freely admit that I haven’t been paying any sort of attention this year but that’s my shopping list.

Small forward could be Tipungwuti Junior, tall utility will probably be Fletcher Junior and small defender is sounding like it’ll be McQuillan the Irish lad. That’s 3 down already

I'd initially suggested a KPF but in hindsight, this is what Gown is groomed to be. Bar this, you've hit the nail on the head imho.

I'd initially suggested a KPF but in hindsight, this is what Gown is groomed to be. Bar this, you've hit the nail on the head imho.

I’m not trying to slight Gown at all, why not another? Having said that someone like Bowman potentially kills a couple of birds with one stone here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back