Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit to early to call, had only started play in defence two years ago . Certainly a possibility to learn the midfield craft . Could play a similar role as Jake Stringer

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Learning midfield craft is the hardest thing to do and not many players have shown an ability to do so in recent years. Some players just look more comfortable and offer more damage in other areas and Gould is one of them.

What is ability to play in the middle?

The stuff they do instinctively. That they learn from playing in the middle from a very young age. The stuff you can not actually teach them. One thing Hibberd does well is position himself around the stoppage. He does not just rely on boring in and using his body size.

Apparently GC are going to be using it as part of the B Crouch trade.

Positive for the suns if he goes there
Do not think so. Crouch is asking way over what GC will pay. They will pick Anderson and Rowell and both will play footy next year. You have to remember that they current list has another year under the belt. There will be stronger bodies and a year of playing hard contested footy. They can add a few hard body B grade midfielders for cheaper than spending pick 2. Lets face it we are not talking about next year or the year after as far as the Suns go.

Do not think so. Crouch is asking way over what GC will pay. They will pick Anderson and Rowell and both will play footy next year. You have to remember that they current list has another year under the belt. There will be stronger bodies and a year of playing hard contested footy. They can add a few hard body B grade midfielders for cheaper than spending pick 2. Lets face it we are not talking about next year or the year after as far as the Suns go.
It depends on how much they want Crouch. I think they’d be stupid to give out pick 2, but this is a club that traded pick 2 for Weller.

Last edited:
The stuff they do instinctively. That they learn from playing in the middle from a very young age. The stuff you can not actually teach them. One thing Hibberd does well is position himself around the stoppage. He does not just rely on boring in and using his body size.

So you learn to be a midfielder playing a few quarters of underage footy?

It's not very compelling.

It depends on how much they want Crouch. I think they’d be stupid to give out pick to, but this is a club that traded pick 2 for Weller.

That was an exceptional case when they had a home-grown player in Weller wanting to return home after they had an exodus of interstaters returning home - It was a case of ensuring you got the home-grown talent - Of course Crouch is not a Queenslander.

So you learn to be a midfielder playing a few quarters of underage footy?

It's not very compelling.

Now you’re just being a dick

Ant clearly said from a very young age which implies being a natural midfielder not someone who needs to be taught the craft in a short space of time to become AFL standard

It’s hard to get into the draft this year. We currently don’t have a first, two seconds which (imho) we won’t hold onto both of and a handful of guys potentially looking for more opportunities elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 development coaches. 5 to 7 senior coaches. Full time work dedicated to learning a game.

And yet bodying a midfielder at a stoppage can only be figured out as a kid or taught by an under 15s coach? An under 13s coach?

I may well we a dick but you're not really thinking about what is being said.

We're not talking about the ball skills of kids playing soccer. We're talking about knowing where to run on a ground and how to position yourself at a stoppage. A professional sport that is taught to athletes from completely different sports who become very good players. With running patterns and expectations at stoppages, particularly defensive, that hardly exist until you get drafted because they apply to club and coach.

By your definition of a midfielder two of our mids, regarded as good enough to be AAs, are not mids. I dont place much on one off AA selection and am not citing it to support any view about the quality of players. It is quite remarkable, though, that not midfielders can look enough like midfielders to be widely regarded as fitting AA selections.

The problem with our mids is not that they are not mids it's that they are not the style of mids you want (and I definitely agree with that).

We are talking about Hibberd, a guy who spent his TAC years at half back, and the 3 years in the AFL system at half back.

He now looks like a competent inside mid and I'm supposed to accept the difference between him and Heppell (i.e. one of your not midfielders but who certainly passes as a midfielder) or Langford (i.e. the one not midfielder we tried to develop but didn't make it - because of his complete lack of ability to embrace the physicality and intensity of the position) is under 15s football? Hibberd is 191cm and built like Paddy Ambrose, possibly thicker. It's hardly surprising that he can absorb physical heat. It has nothing to do with his under 15s football.

Last edited:
It’s hard to get into the draft this year. We currently don’t have a first, two seconds which (imho) we won’t hold onto both of and a handful of guys potentially looking for more opportunities elsewhere.

I think there will be some quality around our picks, personally hope Pickett gets there. Hard bodied, small forwards that can push up the ground. Yes please.

That was an exceptional case when they had a home-grown player in Weller wanting to return home after they had an exodus of interstaters returning home - It was a case of ensuring you got the home-grown talent - Of course Crouch is not a Queenslander.
Crouch is better than Weller. With Lynch and May leaving, I'd say the case is more exceptional and justified than Weller, although pick 2 is obviously overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 development coaches. 5 to 7 senior coaches. Full time work dedicated to learning a game.

And yet bodying a midfielder at a stoppage can only be figured out as a kid or taught by an under 15s coach? An under 13s coach?

I may well we a dick but you're not really thinking about what is being said.

We're not talking about the ball skills of kids playing soccer. We're talking about knowing where to run on a ground and how to position yourself at a stoppage. A professional sport that is taught to athletes from completely different sports who become very good players. With running patterns and expectations at stoppages, particularly defensive, that hardly exist until you get drafted because they apply to club and coach.

By your definition of a midfielder two of our mids, regarded as good enough to be AAs, are not mids. I dont place much on one off AA selection and am not citing it to support any view about the quality of players. It is quite remarkable, though, that not midfielders can look enough like midfielders to be widely regarded as fitting AA selections.

The problem with our mids is not that they are not mids it's that they are not the style of mids you want (and I definitely agree with that).

We are talking about Hibberd, a guy who spent his TAC years at half back, and the 3 years in the AFL system at half back.

He now looks like a competent inside mid and I'm supposed to accept the difference between him and Heppell (i.e. one of your not midfielders but who certainly passes as a midfielder) or Langford (i.e. the one not midfielder we tried to develop but didn't make it - because of his complete lack of ability to embrace the physicality and intensity of the position) is under 15s football? Hibberd is 191cm and built like Paddy Ambrose, possibly thicker. It's hardly surprising that he can absorb physical heat. It has nothing to do with his under 15s football.

Hibberd played midfield at TAC level. He also played midfield games in the VFL. The fact he failed at North is more to do with average kicking and the fact he is actually more suited to playing midfield rather than half back. If you watch what he does around the stoppage he has the ability not to just rush the ball all the time. He shows some midfield craft in his ability to position around a stoppage. He is not like a lot of players who come into the midfield and simply hunt the footy non stop. He is not just about absorbing heat by using his body size. It is his outside work more than his size and crash and bash that caught my eye more than anything. The simple fact is he has improved as a player. He has some ability to work with and some natural midfield skill.

You can say what you want but you can not teach what the top midfielders have . The ability to see the game unfolding and be able to move in the traffic. It is not just about body position at a stoppage. It is about playing a position from when they first start playing the game and not"just a few quarters". By time they get to under 18 90% of the good midfielders have played over 100 games as midfielders and given they get to TAC level they have been the best of the bunch in their junior sides.

I played midfield all my footy career in country footy. I have no idea how i got the initial skills other than when I started playing I could win the footy and could read the play. My old man honed my skill level by insisting that rather than just kicking the footy in the park we did handball on both sides and kicked on both sides. As a player I was short, not overly quick and could not kick much more than 40 meters but I could find the ball in close, find targets by hand and read the ball off the hand in a ruck contest. None of the last three where really taught other than honing the handball skills. Lots of kids play midfield and run around all day and find little of the ball. There is a natural skill in playing midfield that is not taught.

I'm sure this has been covered... but is Lachie Delahunty any good/chance to be picked up?
Doubt it honestly. Yoda_ would know more, used to play for Frankston

Doubt it honestly. Yoda_ would know more, used to play for Frankston
I'm sure this has been covered... but is Lachie Delahunty any good/chance to be picked up?

Cheers

Lachie is Justin Wetshoff lite.

Runs all day, wins enough of the ball around the ground and can kick goals. Not sure his body shape (194cm/91kg) would allow him to play the same role at AFL level but he can obviously play. I know Frankston held him in very, very high regard and were disappointed when he left several years ago.

Was actually thinking the other day eth-dog the players Frankston/South Eastern Suburbs (Stingrays Graduates) who are playing in state leagues across the country not with Frankston.

Just off the top of my head;
Matt Boland (WAFL)
Lachie Delahunty (WAFL)
Leigh Kitchin (WAFL)
Jason Pongracic (Williamstown)
Lachlan Street (Richmond VFL)
Brenton Credlin (Richmond VFL)
Daniel Capiron (Geelong VFL)
Josh Pickess (Williamstown)
Bailey Morrish (Williamstown)
Dyl Van Unen (Port MElbourne)
Khan Haretuku (Port Melbourne)
Ryan Exon (Coburg)
Mason DeWit (Box Hill)
Sam Fox (Sandringham)
Jake Bachelor (Sandringham)
Campbell Hustwaite (Collingwood VFL)

Sad state of affairs when so much talent chooses to play elsewhere. Probably misses some too but that would give them a seriously good back bone to be more competitive at VFL level.

Cheers

Lachie is Justin Wetshoff lite.

Runs all day, wins enough of the ball around the ground and can kick goals. Not sure his body shape (194cm/91kg) would allow him to play the same role at AFL level but he can obviously play. I know Frankston held him in very, very high regard and were disappointed when he left several years ago.

Was actually thinking the other day eth-dog the players Frankston/South Eastern Suburbs (Stingrays Graduates) who are playing in state leagues across the country not with Frankston.

Just off the top of my head;
Matt Boland (WAFL)
Lachie Delahunty (WAFL)
Leigh Kitchin (WAFL)
Jason Pongracic (Williamstown)
Lachlan Street (Richmond VFL)
Brenton Credlin (Richmond VFL)
Daniel Capiron (Geelong VFL)
Josh Pickess (Williamstown)
Bailey Morrish (Williamstown)
Dyl Van Unen (Port MElbourne)
Khan Haretuku (Port Melbourne)
Ryan Exon (Coburg)
Mason DeWit (Box Hill)
Sam Fox (Sandringham)
Jake Bachelor (Sandringham)
Campbell Hustwaite (Collingwood VFL)

Sad state of affairs when so much talent chooses to play elsewhere. Probably misses some too but that would give them a seriously good back bone to be more competitive at VFL level.
If you put those guys together the biggest weakness would be a small defence but the quality is definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back