Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allies

Goals: Dixon 3, Simington 2, Hardman, Powell, Blakey

Disposals: Shipley(2018) 21, Brander 20, Thomas(2018) 18, Spargo 18

Country

Goals: Barzen(2018) 2, Meek, Dow, De Koning, Daniels, McHenry, Butts, Ling, Handley

Disposals: Davies-Uniacke 34, McHenry(2018) 23, Walsh(2018) 22, Dow 21, Farrell 21, Clark 21

Well gone before our pick
Cerra Dow Rayner OBrien Stephenson- one of those 5 would be pretty good
I have been told that the bombers really like Noah Balta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, my possible draftees from the VFL. Please note that these averages are through the first 7 rounds. In ladder order:

Box Hill Mustangs

#24 Sam Switkowski: The small forward has been a real find for the Mustangs, kicking 12 goals in his 5 VFL games so far this season as 2 goals in the State game against WA in a display that a lot of recruiters would have stood up and noticed. Draft Range: 40 to rookie

Williamstown Seagulls

#2 Ben Cavarra: The former Frankston midfielder has joined a strong Williamstown side and has seemingly added an important string to his bow, goals. The small has always been prolific inside but has kicked 12 goals this year playing half forward for the most part. Draft range: 55 to rookie

#6 Michael Gibbons: This midfielder just keeps on keeping on, he's averaged 25 disposals this season in the VFL and despite a down state game he's a definite draft chance at the end of the year, but his size dictates that it will be late if ever. Draft range: Rookie

Preston Bullants

#13 Cameron O'Shea: What a revelation this guy has been. He's taken control of a Preston defence that was one of the worst last season and made it one of the best. He's averaging 21 disposals and looks to be a big chance of getting another chance at AFL level. Draft range: 40 to rookie

Port Melbourne

#31 Brody Mihocek: Along with James Ferry this guys is probably the best key defender in the league. He has been as solid as a rock in defence and will be a big chance for a team that needs key defensive depth next year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

#3 Luke Tynan: Has been playing on a wing for the most part this year and averaged 21 disposals so far this year, but it's his game in the top of the table clash against Box Hill that would have piqued recruiters interest, getting 29 disposals in a close to BOG effort. Draft range: Rookie

Footscray Bulldogs

#54 Nick Jamieson: If you told Jamo he'd be in draft contention this time last year he'd laugh in your face. He knew he was good. However he didn't know he was as good as he was. His finals series last year however made recruiters notice him and early this year he's probably been on the radar of several recruiters now. The midfielder has averaged 26 disposals this year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Werribee Tigers

#11 Matt Hanson: I feel like if I name this guy every year he'll eventually get drafted. The guy just keeps on getting the ball, and his kicking has been much improved this season, averaging 21 disposals this season so far. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Essendon Bombers

#50 James Ferry: As said earlier, he's fighting with Brody Mihocek as the best key defender in the league. This guy looked destined to be on a list this time last year but injuries have derailed his season. The big man is averaging 5 marks a game so far this season. Draft range: 40 to rookie

#51 Alex Boyse: This guy has been a revelation for the Dons this season, having 17 goals from his 7 games so far this season and the leading the goal scoring in the VFL for the men in red and black. Draft range: 30 to rookie

Casey Scorpions

#30 Bailey Fritsch: I spoke to a guy at Casey the other day and when I mentioned this kid's name, he just looked at me and grinned. There is utterly zero, nada, no doubt that he gets drafted. Quick, great skills, fantastic goal sense and 14 goals so far this season. Draft range: 35 to rookie

Sandringham Zebras

#2 Kade Answerth: In an extremely disappointing season this guy has been a shining light. He's only averaging 16 disposals but has stepped up in the past 3 games to be amongst the best for Sandy. Draft range: Rookie

Richmond Tigers

#51 Sam Darley: The Richmond captain has been fantastic this season, averaging 22 disposals this year, and of his 156 disposals only 25 have been ineffective. The man is giving himself every chance to get another gig in the AFL. Draft range: Rookie

Geelong Cats

#51 James Tsitas: James has been extremely consistent this season, and been named in the bests 6 of the 7 games he's played. He's averaged 24 disposals this season and looks like he'll win their best and fairest this season. Draft range: Rookie

Collingwood Magpies

#48 Lachlan Tardrew: Tardrew is a rank outsider quite frankly but has been a big surprise so far this year. He's only averaging 18 disposals but has shown some brilliance at times in the middle. One to watch. Range: Rookie

Coburg Lions

#29 Tom Goodwin: Clearly the best ruck in the league IMO and a player that should be drafted. Given the captaincy by Coburg, he's had a very strong season so far and was one of the best in the state game vs WA. Draft range: Rookie.

#3 Hisham Kerbatieh: Kerbatieh has been electric this season and has kicked 11 goals so far this season from limited forward 50 entries, he's a good option for any side that needs a young small forward this season. Draft range: 55 to rookie

North Ballarat Roosters

#3 Nick Rippon: The small midfielder keeps on keeping on, and much like Hanson, I feel as if I say it every year that he'd make a great signing for a team that need inside midfield depth. Averaging 23 disposals this year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Overall this year looks like a very big chance for some VFL players to get drafted. If I named 5 that should get drafted they'd be Fritsch, Ferry, Boyse, Cavarra and O'Shea

Well gone before our pick
Cerra Dow Rayner OBrien Stephenson- one of those 5 would be pretty good
I have been told that the bombers really like Noah Balta
Yep LDU falling further from our grasp. Anyone of those guys if be more than happy with. Not shocked we would be keen on Balta, i still prefer him up forward though.

I'm not sure what the obsession is in regards to the size.

We have Langford, Laverde, Mutch and Clarke developing already that aren't exactly small.

For me its about best available talent irrespective of the size!

Z Merrett, J Gresham, Fantasia, Daniels are just some of the examples of players that slide based on size.

The current top ten according to the AFL player ratings has a compliment of big and small.

TOP TEN: OVERALL
Rating
1 Patrick Dangerfield 189cm
2 Scott Pendlebury 191cm
3 Rory Sloane 183cm
4 Josh Kennedy 188cm
5 Bont 193cm
6 Robbie Gray 183cm
7 Dayne Zorko 175cm

8 Dustin Martin 187cm
9 Treloar 182cm
10 Joel Selwood 183cm

You're going to say that Treloar, Sloane and Selwood are "small midfielders" in a context in which the discussion is about having contested animals and someone not wanting to draft a light 171-175cm player?

You're going to say that Treloar, Sloane and Selwood are "small midfielders" in a context in which the discussion is about having contested animals and someone not wanting to draft a light 171-175cm player?
No, what I am suggesting is you don't just draft a Will Brodie when their is Andrew McGrath available.

History is littered with teams second guessing themselves to fill needs when you just pick the best talent available and then find a role for them.

Myers over Rioli is one that is often discussed in footy folklore.

All I'm saying is we need to keep an open mind and not just think our first pick has to go on a contested animal. You can often get those types from further down the draft order.

Okay, my possible draftees from the VFL. Please note that these averages are through the first 7 rounds. In ladder order:

Box Hill Mustangs

#24 Sam Switkowski: The small forward has been a real find for the Mustangs, kicking 12 goals in his 5 VFL games so far this season as 2 goals in the State game against WA in a display that a lot of recruiters would have stood up and noticed. Draft Range: 40 to rookie

Williamstown Seagulls

#2 Ben Cavarra: The former Frankston midfielder has joined a strong Williamstown side and has seemingly added an important string to his bow, goals. The small has always been prolific inside but has kicked 12 goals this year playing half forward for the most part. Draft range: 55 to rookie

#6 Michael Gibbons: This midfielder just keeps on keeping on, he's averaged 25 disposals this season in the VFL and despite a down state game he's a definite draft chance at the end of the year, but his size dictates that it will be late if ever. Draft range: Rookie

Preston Bullants

#13 Cameron O'Shea: What a revelation this guy has been. He's taken control of a Preston defence that was one of the worst last season and made it one of the best. He's averaging 21 disposals and looks to be a big chance of getting another chance at AFL level. Draft range: 40 to rookie

Port Melbourne

#31 Brody Mihocek: Along with James Ferry this guys is probably the best key defender in the league. He has been as solid as a rock in defence and will be a big chance for a team that needs key defensive depth next year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

#3 Luke Tynan: Has been playing on a wing for the most part this year and averaged 21 disposals so far this year, but it's his game in the top of the table clash against Box Hill that would have piqued recruiters interest, getting 29 disposals in a close to BOG effort. Draft range: Rookie

Footscray Bulldogs

#54 Nick Jamieson: If you told Jamo he'd be in draft contention this time last year he'd laugh in your face. He knew he was good. However he didn't know he was as good as he was. His finals series last year however made recruiters notice him and early this year he's probably been on the radar of several recruiters now. The midfielder has averaged 26 disposals this year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Werribee Tigers

#11 Matt Hanson: I feel like if I name this guy every year he'll eventually get drafted. The guy just keeps on getting the ball, and his kicking has been much improved this season, averaging 21 disposals this season so far. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Essendon Bombers

#50 James Ferry: As said earlier, he's fighting with Brody Mihocek as the best key defender in the league. This guy looked destined to be on a list this time last year but injuries have derailed his season. The big man is averaging 5 marks a game so far this season. Draft range: 40 to rookie

#51 Alex Boyse: This guy has been a revelation for the Dons this season, having 17 goals from his 7 games so far this season and the leading the goal scoring in the VFL for the men in red and black. Draft range: 30 to rookie

Casey Scorpions

#30 Bailey Fritsch: I spoke to a guy at Casey the other day and when I mentioned this kid's name, he just looked at me and grinned. There is utterly zero, nada, no doubt that he gets drafted. Quick, great skills, fantastic goal sense and 14 goals so far this season. Draft range: 35 to rookie

Sandringham Zebras

#2 Kade Answerth: In an extremely disappointing season this guy has been a shining light. He's only averaging 16 disposals but has stepped up in the past 3 games to be amongst the best for Sandy. Draft range: Rookie

Richmond Tigers

#51 Sam Darley: The Richmond captain has been fantastic this season, averaging 22 disposals this year, and of his 156 disposals only 25 have been ineffective. The man is giving himself every chance to get another gig in the AFL. Draft range: Rookie

Geelong Cats

#51 James Tsitas: James has been extremely consistent this season, and been named in the bests 6 of the 7 games he's played. He's averaged 24 disposals this season and looks like he'll win their best and fairest this season. Draft range: Rookie

Collingwood Magpies

#48 Lachlan Tardrew: Tardrew is a rank outsider quite frankly but has been a big surprise so far this year. He's only averaging 18 disposals but has shown some brilliance at times in the middle. One to watch. Range: Rookie

Coburg Lions

#29 Tom Goodwin: Clearly the best ruck in the league IMO and a player that should be drafted. Given the captaincy by Coburg, he's had a very strong season so far and was one of the best in the state game vs WA. Draft range: Rookie.

#3 Hisham Kerbatieh: Kerbatieh has been electric this season and has kicked 11 goals so far this season from limited forward 50 entries, he's a good option for any side that needs a young small forward this season. Draft range: 55 to rookie

North Ballarat Roosters

#3 Nick Rippon: The small midfielder keeps on keeping on, and much like Hanson, I feel as if I say it every year that he'd make a great signing for a team that need inside midfield depth. Averaging 23 disposals this year. Draft range: 55 to rookie

Overall this year looks like a very big chance for some VFL players to get drafted. If I named 5 that should get drafted they'd be Fritsch, Ferry, Boyse, Cavarra and O'Shea

Sadly, only see Cam O Shea, Bailey Fritsch, Brett Bewley and maybe Alex Boyse as genuine VFL chances. A host if Port Melbourne guys a chance but a good system sees them better than they probably are (Templeton, O Sullivan, Murdoch etc). Mihocek a chance too but find him to small for a kpd post

I like him long term as a tall winger, similar to Riewoldt's role.
Kind of yeah though I think he'll play predominantly forward. Can you imagine him, Daniher and Francis in the same forwardline? *drools* lol.

I'm envious of the Saints this year, potentially having two picks inside the top 10. Few of these guys I'd love to add to our list, though I think we should go tall with our first and snatch one of Brander or Hayes, then go for a mid with whatever our 2nd pick is (maybe Spargo if he's available?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back