Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen you mock draft him to Essendon a couple of times, and so I am intrigued.

Whats his appeal/strengths amd where does he project to play at AFL level?
Hid appeal would be his athleticism and mercurial style, a player capable of doing some special things but has been very inconsistent. Can play a number or roles but I see him best as a high impact wingman or he plays a role similar to Rozee this year for port.

eDPS Forgetting what you have seen from the 2018 boys this year how would you rank these guys if all the same draft class based on their under 18 seasons...

Walsh, Luko, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Blakey, Rowell, Anderson.
I’d have all of them on equal footing so it’s hard to fit Rowell and Anderson in between but this would be it for me

Anderson
Rankine
Walsh
Rowell
Kings
Lukosius
Rozee
Blakey

Stupidly close it’s hardly worth ranking them haha

I’d have all of them on equal footing so it’s hard to fit Rowell and Anderson in between but this would be it for me

Anderson
Rankine
Walsh
Rowell
Kings
Lukosius
Rozee
Blakey

Stupidly close it’s hardly worth ranking them haha

No pressure on Anderson then, great crop of youngsters and the Suns may get 5 of them.

eDPS Forgetting what you have seen from the 2018 boys this year how would you rank these guys if all the same draft class based on their under 18 seasons...

Walsh, Luko, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Blakey, Rowell, Anderson.
Good post from Knightmare on the same topic:
Walsh, Rowell, Lukosius, Anderson, Rankine, M.King, Rozee, B.King, Smith, Green, Blakey, Young, Serong, Thomas, Flanders, Kemp, Caldwell, Ash, Stephens, Quaynor, Hately, Jones, Clark, Gould

Last year's top end is the best I've ever seen, particularly through those first 7.

If I'm picking last year or even this year, my order is very different. This is just the direct answer to your question as to where this year's crop would roughly fit if in last year's draft. Jones I dropped, but that's because other than Adelaide I tend to think others may have been favoured by other clubs. And same with Thomas who I don't think would have gone as early as Blakey if these others are added into the order and Adelaide have better options to choose from. I didn't spend time going through club by club and list needs, so perhaps that is slightly out, but it should be close enough as general consensus club ratings.

If we end up losing Joe to Sydney and get their first pick I think I would be taking the risk on Brodie Kemp. We probably wont but I would.

If we end up losing Joe to Sydney and get their first pick I think I would be taking the risk on Brodie Kemp. We probably wont but I would.
Interesting, pre ACL he would have been a lock to us at pick 4/5 provided we had the pick

However I really like Serong as a fwd/mid as i admire his explosiveness and craft. He could play a role forward for us from round 1 next year and projects as a mid. however i wonder if because of his height (179cm) we might have a mutiny haha (at least on a this board)

Interesting, pre ACL he would have been a lock to us at pick 4/5 provided we had the pick

However I really like Serong as a fwd/mid as i admire his explosiveness and craft. He could play a role forward for us from round 1 next year and projects as a mid. however i wonder if because of his height (179cm) we might have a mutiny haha (at least on a this board)
He is lucky to be 178cm haha, certainly smaller in person

He is lucky to be 178cm haha, certainly smaller in person
Even more so then haha. But in reality he is a jet and would slot in perfectly to our fwd line. A lot of Jade Gresham about him for mine
Would we not take Young? Unbelievably good kick of the footy. Or too outside?
Young plays half back, of which we are even more well stocked, but yes his kicking is the best in the draft.

Interesting prospect though is drafting him at 4 (again provided we have the pick from a Daniher trade) and moving McKenna or Redman to a genuine wing position. Can never have too many good users of the pill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win for Oakleigh in the nab league gf. Rowell had 44 and kicked 2. Anderson mid twenties and Bianco 30

Reckon there is value to be had with Bianco, as Rowell and Anderson get the majority of attention from the club and he seems to go under the radar.

Looks like the top end has a lot of quality inside mids. If Sydney do give pick 4 for Joe, I'd look to trade up to get Melbourne's pick or maybe even Gold Coast's 2nd rounder if they get a priority pick.

I'd seriously trade someone like Zaharakis to trade up. Or another first in the late teens if we somehow get it from Sydney.

With Rowell looking like the number one pick, I'd select Anderson. Big bodied inside mid/forward.

Dream scenario of course, but worth thinking about.

Hibberd probably best on today. Please take him

Really?

Workman-like performance, to use the cliche.

Hard to tell from the one occasion I really watched him closely but if I didnt know he was former AFL player, 15 odd beep, etc I'm not sure how interested I would be and I'd be concerned by how slow he seemed (though that's probably a result of the Tigers generally torching Willy as soon as the ball escaped congestion). I suppose you dont have to be a lightening quick inside mid if you're hard running.

Hibberd would have Mutch and Mynott, for example, covered for speed but not by a lot.

He's clearly built his body to absorb physical contact inside, he looks in incredible shape, but there is little to no chance he is still 3.01 over 20m.

He plays like the centremen of yesteryear and it suits him. He knows where to run, arriving at the fall of the ball to distribute, and I did like the way he got back to intercept in defence (when the Willy flood was on).

In short, if that's the baseline performance I would take him. He's a better prospect playing his role than at least 2 of his competitors on our list and essentially the same age. BUT, that's not how this works.

I would be shocked if we were even looking at him, he's not our type. We are not in the business of that sort of introspection.

Edit: it's also interesting that a VFL side can turn a half back into an inside mid.

Last edited:
Really?

Workman-like performance, to use the cliche.

Hard to tell from the one occasion I really watched him closely but if I didnt know he was former AFL player, 15 odd beep, etc I'm not sure how interested I would be and I'd be concerned by how slow he seemed (though that's probably a result of the Tigers generally torching Willy as soon as the ball escaped congestion). I suppose you dont have to be a lightening quick inside mid if you're hard running.

Hibberd would have Mutch and Mynott, for example, covered for speed but not by a lot.

He's clearly built his body to absorb physical contact inside, he looks in incredible shape, but there is little to no chance he is still 3.01 over 20m.

He plays like the centremen of yesteryear and it suits him. He knows where to run, arriving at the fall of the ball to distribute, and I did like the way he got back to intercept in defence (when the Willy flood was on).

In short, if that's the baseline performance I would take him. He's a better prospect playing his role than at least 2 of his competitors on our list and essentially the same age. BUT, that's not how this works.

I would be shocked if we were even looking at him, he's not our type. We are not in the business of that sort of introspection.

Edit: it's also interesting that a VFL side can turn a half back into an inside mid.

He actually had a few games in the midfield while he was at North in the VFL. He did not really get a crack with them because his disposal was pretty inconsistent . He has always been a player with the ability to play in the middle.

Looks like the top end has a lot of quality inside mids. If Sydney do give pick 4 for Joe, I'd look to trade up to get Melbourne's pick or maybe even Gold Coast's 2nd rounder if they get a priority pick.

I'd seriously trade someone like Zaharakis to trade up. Or another first in the late teens if we somehow get it from Sydney.

With Rowell looking like the number one pick, I'd select Anderson. Big bodied inside mid/forward.

Dream scenario of course, but worth thinking about.

You are not going to get anywhere near the Gold Coast picks. Fantasy stuff.
Zaka is not going to attract a pick inside the top 15 either. In fact I doubt he attracts an early second round pick.
You would be looking to trade Zak Merritt if you wanted to get inside the top 5 and that defeats the purpose.

You are not going to get anywhere near the Gold Coast picks. Fantasy stuff.
Zaka is not going to attract a pick inside the top 15 either. In fact I doubt he attracts an early second round pick.
You would be looking to trade Zak Merritt if you wanted to get inside the top 5 and that defeats the purpose.
Zaharakis + 5 would get you pick 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back