Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll be fine, Parish big improver this year and having leagues no 1 tackling mid back (Smith) will make a big difference as well.

Drafting a big inside has been difficult last two years with trading out top picks for the 4xSSSS.

People I consider small forwards:
Walla
Fantasia
Mosquito
Snelling (can play this role)

That enough.

People I consider pure, big-bodie ball-winning inside mids:
Heppell
Clarke
possibly Shiel if I’m generous

I wish we approached our midfield the way we approached other positions
Snelling isn't a pure small forward.

Raz and Walla sure, but how did Raz go this year? How did Mozzie go?

So we didn't need the one small forward he picked last night? You're happy to roll the dice with the 3 of them again this year?

Fairly satisfied with our overall selections. Mitch Hibberd takes the cake though!
Picking Lachlan Johnson who is coming of an ACL gives us the extra rookie list spot for Jacob Townsend.

That depends on if people want to admit their early melts were ridiculous or not. If they're happy to concede they went way to early then yes he had a plan, if they can't concede they melted too early then he pivoted.

I’m still melting. We aren’t combating Bontempelli, Martin, Dangerfield with Hibberd. He’s Myers quality. The issue still remains unaddressed.

Although melting isn’t the right word as it’s not emotional at all. It’s confusion at the insanity of repeating the same model that hasn’t worked.

So we didn't need the one small forward he picked last night? You're happy to roll the dice with the 3 of them again this year?
Ham isn't a small forward either, makes you wonder why we wasted picks on a ruck and another tall before we sured up the small forward stocks. Especially if they plan on turning Johnson into a defender.

I mean, when you point it out we wasted a pick on Hibberd when we should've been targetting a mature small forward who is ready to go. We are rolling the dice on Raz and Walla again.

Ham isn't a small forward either, makes you wonder why we wasted picks on a ruck and another tall before we sured up the small forward stocks. Especially if they plan on turning Johnson into a defender.

I mean, when you point it out we wasted a pick on Hibberd when we should've been targetting a mature small forward who is ready to go. We are rolling the dice on Raz and Walla again.
Love

I’m still melting. We aren’t combating Bontempelli, Martin, Dangerfield with Hibberd. He’s Myers quality. The issue still remains unaddressed.

Although melting isn’t the right word as it’s not emotional at all. It’s confusion at the insanity of repeating the same model that hasn’t worked.

We weren't combating those guys with any of the picks we had; Robertson was our best chance and the word in the media is that we tried quite hard to get a pick swap done to allow us to get him. Otherwise there was 0 players available to us that would fit that criteria.

Byrnes from sandringham dragons is a inside mid clearance beast st kilda snapped him up at pick #51 when dodo traded away pick #50 without doing his homework on inside mids available
Sounds like Dodoro tried pretty hard to get up to Ports selection to take Robertson, but just didn't have the currency to get it done. No real issue with that, Brisbane had the ability to trade up and got in. I'd have been dirty if we hadn't tried, or had passed.

If Townsend can play midfield then we've got a reasonably balanced draft hand with limited picks, Rantall was about the only midfield prospect still available at our picks that had much talk behind them.

I'm also assuming Townsend comes on in the SSP with the above.

Taking Hibberd seems like it was second choice to drafting a Robertson type, but with none of them left and hearing that we at least tried to move up to get access to him, it was a fairly limited selection. No clear Worpel type that we've passed on.

Byrnes from sandringham dragons is a inside mid clearance beast st kilda snapped him up at pick #51 when dodo traded away pick #50 without doing his homework on inside mids available
o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.53 you have Twomey, draft expert and bombers fan talking to Lloydy, club great, media commentator and evidently still a fan, answering the question 'what do the bombers need', so you get a bit of a list analysis from the both of them.

Lloydy really wants a big inside mid, he's not a fan of our midfield and says Heppell is our number 1 mid and is ageing.

Twomey wants us to package up 31 and 33 and get up the board for Harrison Jones. Says the cupboard is bare beyond Joe Daniher for key forwards.
lol

We weren't combating those guys with any of the picks we had; Robertson was our best chance and the word in the media is that we tried quite hard to get a pick swap done to allow us to get him. Otherwise there was 0 players available to us that would fit that criteria.
Johnston might be the longer game to getting someone like Robertson. Brissy is stacked now, maybe he can be a chip in a trade deal - particularly if Robertson doesn’t get the opportunities this year

Dodos a ******* scrub for not drafting Rowell, Anderson and Flanders, GC did it why couldn’t he?

shoulda picked Rowell!
Dodos a ******* scrub for not drafting Rowell, Anderson and Flanders, GC did it why couldn’t he?

Or more likely moved old shot groins Daniher on for Kemp and Robertson and still had the same currency for the talls he took... the same talls he cited weren’t up to it when he turned the trade down.

Hibberd bare minimum is a state league gun picked up as a rookie. He might not be Kelly but he's not a broken down Myers either

OUT:
Mitch Brown 196cm Forward/Defender
Jordan Houlahan 185cm Forward
Mark Baguley 178cm Forward/Defender

Zac Clarke 203cm Ruck

David Myers 191cm Mid
Jake Long 185cm Mid
Trent Mynott 185cm Mid

Michael Hartley 198cm Defender
Thomas Jok 193cm Defender
Matt Dea 186cm Defender
Ben McNiece 178cm Defender

IN:
Harrison Jones 196cm Forward
Ned Cahill 178cm Forward

Nick Bryan 202cm Ruck
Andrew Phillips 201cm Ruck

Tom Cutler 192cm Mid
Mitchell Hibberd 191cm Mid
Jacob Townsend 187cm Forward/Mid

Cian McBride 197cm Gaelic Defender (not sure what his position will be in AFL)
Ross McQuillan 188cm Gaelic Defender (again not sure about his position in AFL)
Lachlan Johnson 175cm Defender
Did we really turn over a quarter of the list? That seems quite a lot given we're allegedly close to our flag window.

With a couple of talls this year and presumably a couple more next year it's almost like we're starting a bit of a rebuild.

I just think we don’t need to prioritise small forwards over inside mids if we’re looking to contend next year or the year after.

if Heppell or Shiel go down, we’re finished.
Picking Hibberd somewhat alleviates the pain. I still think our depth isn’t looking great.

I wouldn’t be against picking up Lyons as an SSP selection if that’s possible.

Or more likely moved old shot groins Daniher on for Kemp and Robertson and still had the same currency for the talls he took... the same talls he cited weren’t up to it when he turned the trade down.
I guess if Kemp and Robertson prove to be as good as Bont, Martin and Dangerfield And Joey never plays another game for us, Dodoro will have made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back