Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we really turn over a quarter of the list? That seems quite a lot given we're allegedly close to our flag window.

With a couple of talls this year and presumably a couple more next year it's almost like we're starting a bit of a rebuild.
It includes rookies, and we pretty much cleaned out our 2017 draftees. We only had 3-4 picks in the draft plus drapers upgrade so our senior list cut 3-4 players (we started with 39).

Last edited:
I just think we don’t need to prioritise small forwards over inside mids if we’re looking to contend next year or the year after.

if Heppell or Shiel go down, we’re finished.
Picking Hibberd somewhat alleviates the pain. I still think our depth isn’t looking great.

I wouldn’t be against picking up Lyons as an SSP selection if that’s possible.
Re rookied by Brisbane

I just think we don’t need to prioritise small forwards over inside mids if we’re looking to contend next year or the year after.

if Heppell or Shiel go down, we’re finished.
Picking Hibberd somewhat alleviates the pain. I still think our depth isn’t looking great.

I wouldn’t be against picking up Lyons as an SSP selection if that’s possible.
We replaced Baguley as depth and we have insurance if Fantasia leaves. It's not exactly sky is falling territory.

We lost more forwards than we drafted, and drafted more mids than we lost.

Overall it seems like we got a nice balance of players. Whether they are any good or not who knows but I'm really pleased that we got an inside mid, a key forward and a ruck.

I also thought small forward was a bit of a need for us. You need lots of small forwards in modern footy and Fantasia is injury prone (plus may leave). Some of our depth small forwards are yet to prove they are even going to be AFL level at all but people act like they are certainties.

This basically confirms what Lore was saying in another thread, in that Johnson being put straight on the inactive list means we get an extra SSP on top of Townsend.

Will be interesting to see who we pick up

Some quality nuff in here over the past few days.

Whatever you think of Dodoro or the list, having a full blown melt over a player you've seen a whole two minute highlight reel of is quite something, particularly when you get his position and the draft rules wrong too.

Dodoro identified Hibberd not just as an inside mid but a readymade one, I can’t see us going for another young player tbh
Maybe, but in Townsend, Snelling and Hibberd that's three senior rookies and three mature bodies we have added in 6 months.

Another younger player might be a smart idea.

I’m still melting. We aren’t combating Bontempelli, Martin, Dangerfield with Hibberd. He’s Myers quality. The issue still remains unaddressed.

Although melting isn’t the right word as it’s not emotional at all. It’s confusion at the insanity of repeating the same model that hasn’t worked.
Ahh we should've drafted Bontempelli with pick 50.
I think melting is the right word for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess if Kemp and Robertson prove to be as good as Bont, Martin and Dangerfield And Joey never plays another game for us, Dodoro will have made a mistake.

Or somewhere in between, like Joey doesn’t return to near his best and either one become a better inside midfielder than any of our current mids. Anything short of Daniher returning to a 60 plus goal kicker or taking us deep into finals will have been a mistake.

I don’t understand why everyone is forgiving of Dodoro. He is an employee that’s failed to deliver. No hate against him, it’s just a business decision.

Last edited:
We replaced Baguley as depth and we have insurance if Fantasia leaves. It's not exactly sky is falling territory.

We lost more forwards than we drafted, and drafted more mids than we lost.
Maybe I should preface it by saying that it’s my opinion, but our midfield isn’t good to begin with, even at full strength. That doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence

The depth of our midfield is embarrassingly shallow compared to the best teams. I wouldn’t have us in the top 10 midfields. Couple of injuries and we’ll be in trouble.

Anyway, a dissatisfied Essendon supporter is hardly surprising news. I believe criticism of our list strategy is valid considering the results.

At least we took Hibberd, which is more than we usually do. I’m mildly happier now.

I don't think he's been that bad. How many All Australians has he drafted in the last 10 years or so? Granted some of them only made it playing for other sides but Dodoro clearly saw something in them.
That actually tells you a lot.
He’s able to identify individual talent, but he cannot build a balanced team. It’s why we have so much talent for little reward.

Our defence has a perfect balance of smalls and talls. It has consistently been our best area. We have a gazillion replacements ready for Hurley and Hooker’s eventual retirement. We haven’t even found someone close to replace Jobe. Our midfield is too much of the same types of players. Talented, but smaller players that are more outside than pure inside ball winners. We don’t have a list that complements the talent we have.
A father and son pick is far and away the only A-grade inside mid we’ve had. The contenders have at least 2-3 playing at the same time.

I wish we looked at our defence and used the same strategy to build our midfield.

eDPS Draft Review

The Picks

Pick 30 - Harrison Jones - Key Forward - 196cm 78kg
Ranked 21

Jones has tremendous upside and already has features of his game that wont need developing such as his willingness to run offensively and defensively and his ability to play well in most conditions. He was an obvious pick as he will be a future key forward to develop and i see him also being able to provide ruck relief which is another area we have lacked for key forwards, cant be unhappy about this pick and i see him playing senior football earlier than some may think.

Pick 38 - Nick Bryan - Ruckman - 203cm 87kg
Ranked 42

Bryan was the clear second best ruck after Jackson and more than held his own against Jackson at the champs and didnt look out of his depth rucking against Casey playing for the AFL academy. He has battled consistency which is a common theme for young rucks but he saved his best game for the grand final where he showed his Tim English like traits, I had a few players i rated a little higher but understand the pick as a backup if Draper ever gets a re-occurrence with the ACL.

Pick 56 - Ned Cahill - Small Forward/Midfielder - 179cm 78kg
Ranked 47

Cahill is a clever player and his timing to crumb is exceptional, not to dissimilar to Gryan Miers he has the endurance and workrate to get up the ground and work again forward to set up scoring chains. Also clever overhead he has alot of tricks as a small forward and although he isnt lightning quick he is still quick enough. Think he is a good value pick and one i like better than my rankings suggest, pick 38 i feel wouldn't have been a reach.

Pick 63 - Lachlan Johnson - Small Forward/Midfielder - 176cm 74kg
Ranked Rookie

I dont need to go over the family links but a brief summary of Johnson is that he is a tenacious little player with good skills and a high footy IQ, he lacks athleticism and speed for his type but he is a natural footballer and could get by on that alone. I was admittedly disappointing with the selection but after realising the implications i feel its an astute decision to pick him up.

(r) Pick 10 - Mitch Hibberd - Inside Midfielder - 191cm 90kg
Ranked Rookie

eth-dog has seen alot more of Hibberd in the VFL this year but he is one i didnt mind in his draft year, comes with injury history but has worked hard to get over that and prove to be a consistent big bodied mid and he is exactly the type we need.

Summary

Overall im pretty happy with the draft, stoked with Jones the most obviously and i was upset to miss out on a personal favourite in Trent Rivers but i absolutely understand the Jones selection and i rate him. Bryan fills a need and in time could even surpass Draper if he can realise his potential, Cahill is a crafty player who supporters will warm up to. Johnson carries on the tough Johnson tradition at Essendon and Hibberd fills that big inside mid hole that we have been craving.

Maybe I should preface it by saying that it’s my opinion, but our midfield isn’t good to begin with, even at full strength. That doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence

The depth of our midfield is embarrassingly shallow compared to the best teams. I wouldn’t have us in the top 10 midfields. Couple of injuries and we’ll be in trouble.

Anyway, a dissatisfied Essendon supporter is hardly surprising news. I believe criticism of our list strategy is valid considering the results.

At least we took Hibberd, which is more than we usually do. I’m mildly happier now.

This is he nuts and bolts of my view on Dodoro. Even if/when we decide to address our desire to improve our midfield, we are so reliant on our top end talent that we won't even give the guys a chance. See Mynott whom I thought was stiff not to debut last year.

eDPS Draft Review

The Picks

Pick 30 - Harrison Jones - Key Forward - 196cm 78kg
Ranked 21

Jones has tremendous upside and already has features of his game that wont need developing such as his willingness to run offensively and defensively and his ability to play well in most conditions. He was an obvious pick as he will be a future key forward to develop and i see him also being able to provide ruck relief which is another area we have lacked for key forwards, cant be unhappy about this pick and i see him playing senior football earlier than some may think.

Pick 38 - Nick Bryan - Ruckman - 203cm 87kg
Ranked 42

Bryan was the clear second best ruck after Jackson and more than held his own against Jackson at the champs and didnt look out of his depth rucking against Casey playing for the AFL academy. He has battled consistency which is a common theme for young rucks but he saved his best game for the grand final where he showed his Tim English like traits, I had a few players i rated a little higher but understand the pick as a backup if Draper ever gets a re-occurrence with the ACL.

Pick 56 - Ned Cahill - Small Forward/Midfielder - 179cm 78kg
Ranked 47

Cahill is a clever player and his timing to crumb is exceptional, not to dissimilar to Gryan Miers he has the endurance and workrate to get up the ground and work again forward to set up scoring chains. Also clever overhead he has alot of tricks as a small forward and although he isnt lightning quick he is still quick enough. Think he is a good value pick and one i like better than my rankings suggest, pick 38 i feel wouldn't have been a reach.

Pick 63 - Lachlan Johnson - Small Forward/Midfielder - 176cm 74kg
Ranked Rookie

I dont need to go over the family links but a brief summary of Johnson is that he is a tenacious little player with good skills and a high footy IQ, he lacks athleticism and speed for his type but he is a natural footballer and could get by on that alone. I was admittedly disappointing with the selection but after realising the implications i feel its an astute decision to pick him up.

(r) Pick 10 - Mitch Hibberd - Inside Midfielder - 191cm 90kg
Ranked Rookie

eth-dog has seen alot more of Hibberd in the VFL this year but he is one i didnt mind in his draft year, comes with injury history but has worked hard to get over that and prove to be a consistent big bodied mid and he is exactly the type we need.

Summary

Overall im pretty happy with the draft, stoked with Jones the most obviously and i was upset to miss out on a personal favourite in Trent Rivers but i absolutely understand the Jones selection and i rate him. Bryan fills a need and in time could even surpass Draper if he can realise his potential, Cahill is a crafty player who supporters will warm up to. Johnson carries on the tough Johnson tradition at Essendon and Hibberd fills that big inside mid hole that we have been craving.

How do you rate Bryan compared to Bowman? Bryan is a better tap ruckman?

The more you look at the draft picks, the more you begin to wonder how much of his draft strategy went to plan? Felt (pre draft) we were always going to try and combine 31/33 into a single pick and utilise the consecutive picks in the 60's. The bid on Cumberland was out of desperation more than genuine access on that player. The failed attempt at moving up to pick Robertson.

He may have got insurance for players that are in limbo at Essendon FC but Dodoro has always been afraid to add depth with quality staring him in the face. See Collingwood, they were keen as on Jake Riccardi, are desperate for a young KPF and he fitted the bill in the picks they had but went with the much higher rated Trent Bianco and Jay Rantall at picks 40/45 even though they don't neccesarily fit the list needs.

It's disappointing to think the players we could have had but are scrambling for insurance in 12 months even though said draftees wont be ready for 2 - 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back