13. Joel Garner
14. Hunter Clark
15. Oscar Claravino
16. Ethan Floyd
17. Callum Coleman Jones
18. Lachlan Fogarty
19. Jack Higgins
20. James Worpel

Top 20 is decent and I am sure a few interstates will rise.
Charlie Spargo very stiff!

I reckon he is 175cm.
He will be a better footballer than Travis Colyer in my opinion.
Natural.
Dylan Moore is small but can play as well.

Hi D_P_S

This is from Twomeys 25.

Could you share some information with me. Whats Lachlans speed and agility like?

Players can sometimes slide down the order due to their size even if the talent is their. What are the knocks on him other than size because this write up looks pretty good to me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-09/cal-twomeys-25-to-watch-in-the-under18-championships

"Lachlan Fogarty
Midfielder
Western Jets/Vic Metro
179cm/75kg
1/4/99

Fogarty is part of a fleet of smaller midfielders in this year's crop, but he is hard working, adept by foot and excellent in distributing the ball by hand. He is the type who can make you look twice at a statistics sheet, often surprised by how much of the ball he has accumulated. That's probably because plenty of his work is done in congested situations. He was one of the NAB AFL Academy's best players against VFL side the Northern Blues in April, gathering 17 touches and seven tackles. "

Hi D_P_S

This is from Twomeys 25.

Could you share some information with me. Whats Lachlans speed and agility like?

Players can sometimes slide down the order due to their size even if the talent is their. What are the knocks on him other than size because this write up looks pretty good to me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-09/cal-twomeys-25-to-watch-in-the-under18-championships

"Lachlan Fogarty
Midfielder
Western Jets/Vic Metro
179cm/75kg
1/4/99

Fogarty is part of a fleet of smaller midfielders in this year's crop, but he is hard working, adept by foot and excellent in distributing the ball by hand. He is the type who can make you look twice at a statistics sheet, often surprised by how much of the ball he has accumulated. That's probably because plenty of his work is done in congested situations. He was one of the NAB AFL Academy's best players against VFL side the Northern Blues in April, gathering 17 touches and seven tackles. "
This was my write up from his Round 1 game
"Fogarty was incredible in the midfield, showing his impressive craft in the clearances and he hurt the Knights going forward on multiple occasions, kicking 2 impressive goals. Fogarty was clean and sharp with ball in hand, with incredible vision to win a hard clearance and dish of a kick or handball most players wouldn’t even see. Fogarty won clearance after clearance and even with a player on him he would still find a way to win the ball, a very impressive display first up."
His speed and agility I don't think are elite but he is a quick thinker, maybe slightly quicker than Parish. Size is the only reason he would slip but he is a guaranteed 200 game player and will be a gun midfielder no doubt.

This was my write up from his Round 1 game
"Fogarty was incredible in the midfield, showing his impressive craft in the clearances and he hurt the Knights going forward on multiple occasions, kicking 2 impressive goals. Fogarty was clean and sharp with ball in hand, with incredible vision to win a hard clearance and dish of a kick or handball most players wouldn’t even see. Fogarty won clearance after clearance and even with a player on him he would still find a way to win the ball, a very impressive display first up."
His speed and agility I don't think are elite but he is a quick thinker, maybe slightly quicker than Parish. Size is the only reason he would slip but he is a guaranteed 200 game player and will be a gun midfielder no doubt.
Thanks D_P_S

Do you think he could rise to top ten by the end of the year or will size always be the risk associated with him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what the obsession is in regards to the size.

We have Langford, Laverde, Mutch and Clarke developing already that aren't exactly small.

For me its about best available talent irrespective of the size!

Z Merrett, J Gresham, Fantasia, Daniels are just some of the examples of players that slide based on size.

The current top ten according to the AFL player ratings has a compliment of big and small.

TOP TEN: OVERALL
Rating
1 Patrick Dangerfield 189cm
2 Scott Pendlebury 191cm
3 Rory Sloane 183cm
4 Josh Kennedy 188cm
5 Bont 193cm
6 Robbie Gray 183cm
7 Dayne Zorko 175cm

8 Dustin Martin 187cm
9 Treloar 182cm
10 Joel Selwood 183cm

Listed as 174/73 in Twomey's article

Pass, I know he can play a bit, but If I'm us I'm only taking someone that small if he can run like the absolute clappers and is basically the best kick in the draft. We're already too short.

I'm not sure what the obsession is in regards to the size.

We have Langford, Laverde, Mutch and Clarke developing already that aren't exactly small.

For me its about best available talent irrespective of the size!

Z Merrett, J Gresham, Fantasia, Daniels are just some of the examples of players that slide based on size.

The current top ten according to the AFL player ratings has a compliment of big and small.

TOP TEN: OVERALL
Rating
1 Patrick Dangerfield 189cm
2 Scott Pendlebury 191cm
3 Rory Sloane 183cm
4 Josh Kennedy 188cm
5 Bont 193cm
6 Robbie Gray 183cm
7 Dayne Zorko 175cm

8 Dustin Martin 187cm
9 Treloar 182cm
10 Joel Selwood 183cm
I think you answered your own question: a balanced midfield has a mixture of complimentary attributes. Not all small, all tall, all quick, all strong. Some of those things are mutual exclusive, others are just rare in combination for one player.

Our talls consist of Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell around the 190cm mark, plus the guys you mentioned who aren't in the team at the moment for various reasons. Idk if the ones you mentioned are a complete replacement for the ones that are in there currently.

I wouldn't pass on best available for the sake of some specific attribute, certainly not in the early rounds of the draft. We're pretty orthodox in early rounds, do our homework and take the best available prospect. Second and third rounds we have a more high risk/high reward strategy, and later rounds/rookie draft we look to fill needs with mature aged players.

If there's nothing splitting two players in the first round then you might look to needs, but if we had've taken Weideman or Curnow because we needed a 'tall forward' over Parish and Francis we would be spitting chips right now.

I think you answered your own question: a balanced midfield has a mixture of complimentary attributes. Not all small, all tall, all quick, all strong. Some of those things are mutual exclusive, others are just rare in combination for one player.

Our talls consist of Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell around the 190cm mark, plus the guys you mentioned who aren't in the team at the moment for various reasons. Idk if the ones you mentioned are a complete replacement for the ones that are in there currently.

I wouldn't pass on best available for the sake of some specific attribute, certainly not in the early rounds of the draft. We're pretty orthodox in early rounds, do our homework and take the best available prospect. Second and third rounds we have a more high risk/high reward strategy, and later rounds/rookie draft we look to fill needs with mature aged players.

If there's nothing splitting two players in the first round then you might look to needs, but if we had've taken Weideman or Curnow because we needed a 'tall forward' over Parish and Francis we would be spitting chips right now.
Mine wasn't really a question as much as it was a statement.

Some of the posters above stated that they wouldn't be happy if we selected a small player but as I said I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

Talent for me always wins hands down.

As far as Weideman and Curnow I'm not sure what you are saying?

Mine wasn't really a question as much as it was a statement.
You phrased it with a level of uncertainty that invited speculation, regardless of the punctuation. My point was that your observation about the 'compliment' of big and small players could provide some explanation for the obsession with size that you were initially unsure about.

Some of the posters above stated that they wouldn't be happy if we selected a small player but as I said I'm not sure what that has to do with it.
Our posters want a 'compliment' of quality big and quality small players in our midfield and they think we don't currently have that balance. I can understand where they're coming from, as our tall mids are old and/or underperforming a little, and the guys you mentioned have yet to prove that they are able replacements.

I agreed with you with regard to how much that should impact our draft strategy. It's a problem that can be resolved in a number of other ways; lift the performance of our tall mids, develop other players that we already have into those roles, trade for them...

Talent for me always wins hands down.

As far as Weideman and Curnow I'm not sure what you are saying?
In the lead up to that draft some people here were desperate to take one of them because we had a perceived 'need' for a tall forward (i.e. putting needs ahead of best available talent). I struggle to imagine how our team would look with Curnow or Weideman in it (and that's not a knock on them as players, more a structural thing). In the end I don't think either of them would even have filled the perceived need. At the time Parish was a "vanilla" mid and Francis was a 191cm defender by most reports (not a need).

You phrased it with a level of uncertainty that invited speculation, regardless of the punctuation. My point was that your observation about the 'compliment' of big and small players could provide some explanation for the obsession with size that you were initially unsure about.

Our posters want a 'compliment' of quality big and quality small players in our midfield and they think we don't currently have that balance. I can understand where they're coming from, as our tall mids are old and/or underperforming a little, and the guys you mentioned have yet to prove that they are able replacements.

I agreed with you with regard to how much that should impact our draft strategy. It's a problem that can be resolved in a number of other ways; lift the performance of our tall mids, develop other players that we already have into those roles, trade for them...

In the lead up to that draft some people here were desperate to take one of them because we had a perceived 'need' for a tall forward (i.e. putting needs ahead of best available talent). I struggle to imagine how our team would look with Curnow or Weideman in it (and that's not a knock on them as players, more a structural thing). In the end I don't think either of them would even have filled the perceived need. At the time Parish was a "vanilla" mid and Francis was a 191cm defender by most reports.
Yeah, history says that elite big midfielders rarely come from high draft picks. Bont is one and Pendlebury another but struggle to think of to many that went top ten.

Obviously things can change as in the last few drafts quite a few of the bigger midfielders have come from the top ten. Time will determine whether they kick on I guess.

Like you say you can get them from anywhere in the draft and you develop them as they do take longer to come on.

Bulldogs midfield was the best last year and only Bont fits into the big midfielder category and you can argue that Dahlhaus, Libba and Hunter are on the small side. I just value a player that can execute a gameplan over a perceived advantage in height.

I just think people can get carried away with the bright lights some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back