All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
33 + our 3 picks in the 60s for 22.
Leaves us with 22 and 31.

I like this approach as it allows us to be really targeted at this draft to fill development needs. Say we pick Stephens at 22 and Riccardi at 31, then upgrade Draper with later pick. I think most folks here would be pretty wrapt with that haul as it allows us to cover off some glaring gaps in our depth over next few years in what is otherwise a pretty light draft for premium talent.

Jake Riccardi goes to my gym. Big unit, always on his phone though... do not want
It is the way of the youth.

Paramedics on high alert in Melbourne in January when the new phone policy for schools kicks in next year.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It becomes a very interesting selection conundrum if at 31 we are faced with Comben and a mid we really like (assuming we are interested in Comben).

You'd think it could come down to whether or not we have been able to sign Bowman by then (as he did nominate mid year and might be considered a de-listed free agent).

I've read some stuff that indicates that Comben is a very strong contested mark an excellent athlete (though I have no idea about the credibility of the claims). But lets says that he's a more athletic version of Mitch Lewis, for example, which would make him a significantly better prospect than Bowman and miles ahead of Gown. That would be a player I would find it very hard not to select even if the midfielder was Worpel (to try to add some context).

There's the need to cover for Joe but also it's time to start developing a long term option. He's also maybe big enough to think of as ruck cover.

I'd probably de-list a few talls to take Comben and Bowman. I think the way to work out the balance of the list is to determine what two full teams looks like.

List changes:

Out:
Clarke
Brown

In:
Phillips
Comben
Bowman

Harltey would hold on until we take Brand next year. Sides of players who are just ruckmen and KPPs, not mid-sized players would look like:

AFL:

SD Ambrose Hurley
SD Hooker MD

Bellchambers M1 M2
M3 W1 W2

MF Dainher SF
SF McKernan Stringer-position (no point pretending he's a small or mid-sized player)

Francis I2 I3 I4

VFL:

McBride Hartley SD
SD Zerk-Thatcher MD

Draper M1 M2
M3 W1 W2

MF Comben SF
Gown Stewart SF

Phillips Bowman I3, I4, I5...

That's 1 tall too many when it comes to game time but with injury it's likely to balance out.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I swear we tell Cal Twomey every year were chasing a ruck and he keeps buying it every year

Anyone we take now isn't the solution in 12 months time

If we lose Joe than we will need to find a more mature replacement for the 24 months after his departure

That will come in the way of guys like (Trade)

Todd Marshall
Taberner
B.Cox
J.Brander
Dan McStay
Toby Wooler
J.Schache
J.Lukoscious
B.Mihocek

And that's after speaking to Cameron first

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
With bids etc. are our picks if they stay the same are likely to move up?

It's likely our 60 picks will definitely in a few spots

L.Henry, Finn McGuinness, Tom Green won't affect our 30 picks

Looking at this draft there could be some super quality still on the market around picks 14-15

I think eDPS had H.Young sliding to 12

The reason for that is Melbourne at Pick 8 chasing a small forward as is WBD at Pick 13. Depending on Weightman and how early a bid comes for L.Henry

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
30s to early for me, more likely with our picks in the 60s but he may get taken by a club in the 50s.

hard to see where Jeka goes but think a similar range to Riccardi.

Why is Jake Riccardi to early in the 30’s to early?

(I) he suits a need
(Is) is young enough to develop long term
(Iii) mature enough to possibly come in and play if he is doing all the right things at VFL level.
(Iii) is likely available at our picks in the 30’s but not last to our 60’s picks.
(Iv) did I mention he is exactly the type of player we need for the future?!

I’d hope Dodoro can get creative and turn 31, 33, 61, 64, 65 into an early second plus a combination of thirds and fourths that we’ll unlikely use anyways.

If we can get a pick in the 40’s Riccardi may last to then but the fact that very few U18 KPF’s are set to be taken and he is still young himself (with a high ceiling) will see him taken much earlier than many predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
What do the expert NAB cup watchers think of Sam Philp? Is pick 31/33 a stretch for him? Does he provide what we need? Will he be gone by our picks in the 60s?

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Why is Jake Riccardi to early in the 30’s to early?

(I) he suits a need
(Is) is young enough to develop long term
(Iii) mature enough to possibly come in and play if he is doing all the right things at VFL level.
(Iii) is likely available at our picks in the 30’s but not last to our 60’s picks.
(Iv) did I mention he is exactly the type of player we need for the future?!

I’d hope Dodoro can get creative and turn 31, 33, 61, 64, 65 into an early second plus a combination of thirds and fourths that we’ll unlikely use anyways.

If we can get a pick in the 40’s Riccardi may last to then but the fact that very few U18 KPF’s are set to be taken and he is still young himself (with a high ceiling) will see him taken much earlier than many predict.

I’m only going of recent history for the draft and state combine players very rarely go early especially mature age ones. I’m waiting on his combine results which i should hopefully be able to find out before the draft.

I wont be unhappy if we take him with say 33 but I think it’s unlikely.

What do the expert NAB cup watchers think of Sam Philp? Is pick 31/33 a stretch for him? Does he provide what we need? Will he be gone by our picks in the 60s?
He has gone up my draft board big time, running out of reasons to have him as a top 30 caliber pick, I don’t think its likely he lasts to the 60s.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Philip didn't make the metro squad but that isn't necessarily an indictment on him as, from memory, it was a pretty stacked midfield for Metro with Rowell, Anderson, Maginess etc

Has a good burst of pace from clearances and isn't afraid of contract at all. Won't be the 'bull' people are looking for but I think of him as a poor man's Luke shuey. Plays a similar style but obviously is no guarantee to be that good.

For me I would be going
31: Philip
33: Comben (prefer Riccardi, but unlikely this early)
61: Darcy Chirgwin* (Mitch Hibberd if not available)

*I really hope we take him late if he is available. Could be great value

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I’m only going of recent history for the draft and state combine players very rarely go early especially mature age ones. I’m waiting on his combine results which i should hopefully be able to find out before the draft.

I wont be unhappy if we take him with say 33 but I think it’s unlikely.

He has gone up my draft board big time, running out of reasons to have him as a top 30 caliber pick, I don’t think its likely he lasts to the 60s.

I don’t think there is a comparative player in a similar position to him that you can gauge off. Even more so with the lack of key forwards available that will see him taken earlier than most expect.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I don’t think there is a comparative player in a similar position to him that you can gauge off. Even more so with the lack of key forwards available that will see him taken earlier than most expect.

Nathan Krueger was traded for pick 42 (via Carlton's pre listing assistance) last year as a 19yo. Ben Brown was pick 47 and 20yo at the time.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
I might be bias as he's probably my favourite of this years class. If anything I think the worry will be that he'll go earlier than our picks in the 30's. Genuine inside mids with top end speed and endurance are quite rare to come by.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
My dream draft scenario:

Trade 31 and 33 to Richmond for 19 and 56.
Richmond have 8 open senior list spots and need picks. This would give them 31, 33, 38, 39 and 41 in a pretty even draft.

I would then take
19: Cooper Stephens (188cm, 83kg MID)
56: Emerson Jeka (197cm, 89kg FWD)
61: Darcy Chirgwin (191cm, 82kg MID)
65: Sam Draper (Upgrade)

Then I would take Bowman in the rookie draft or alternatively maybe Mitch Hibberd as a SSP.

For me, Chirgwin is a steal at 61 although if we take him and Stephens in this scenario then I cant see us getting Hibberd as well.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
My dream draft scenario:

Richmond have 8 open senior list spots and need picks. This would give them 31, 33, 38, 39 and 41 in a pretty even draft.

I would then take

Then I would take Bowman in the rookie draft or alternatively maybe Mitch Hibberd as a SSP.

For me, Chirgwin is a steal at 61 although if we take him and Stephens in this scenario then I cant see us getting Hibberd as well.
Depending on who is available I’d prefer someone like Rivers at 19 as a future inside mid for me he has the flexibility even if we don’t go down that route and can go a pure inside mid later as you have. I’d want to find a better balance in our picks and don’t think we need two pure inside mids this year.

What’s the bet we’ve already traded those picks but the AFL is making us sit on the announcement so it can be broadcast as a ~live trade~ during the draft

My dream draft scenario:

I would then take

I would then package 56, 61, 64 and 65 and try to get 44 and 76 from Sydney.

19: Stephens
44: Jake Riccardi
76: Draper upgrade

We're unlikely to have 4 open spots so Bowman in the rookie draft suits me fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back