Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Hi folks,

We are thinking of running a new thread on the Adelaide Board looking at draft prospects.

There are a few posters on here who keep a bit of an eye on the draft each season through the Under 18 championships, SANFL juniors, college footy etc. Some in particular are quite knowledgeable in this area. On this board alone there are three Adelaide posters that I know of who have gone on to have roles at AFL clubs.

What we are looking for are some people who would be interested in putting together their observations and predictions throughout the season.

Assuming there is some interest in this, how it would work is that a new thread would be created. Our Draft Watch Volunteers would make a post at the start of that thread. They can then edit and update that initial post as the season wears on with their thoughts on players.

We don't want to be too prescriptive about what is required but analysis on players you have seen, predictions about who will go where, links to articles or mock drafts etc leap to mind. By the end of the season on Page 1 hopefully there will be a nice little stock of information. I know there is a Drafts & Trading Board but it would be nice to have a one-stop shop here on our board.

There can be discussion and comments in the thread from others but those initial posts belong to the draft watch volunteers.

As far as how much input is required, basically as much or as little as you want. No set requirement.

If you are interested, just reply in this thread.

Go Crows

:)

I don't mind doing it, however, it will only be a collation of press articles, D&T Board posters etc. I won't be observing first hand however.
Not sure if that helps

I believe all the U18's Championship matches will be on Fox Footy starting at 12.30PM tomorrow and from memory on July 2 and July 3.

Would be worth a look if your home or be worth taping for future reference methinks.

I believe all the U18's Championship matches will be on Fox Footy starting at 12.30PM tomorrow and from memory on July 2 and July 3.

Would be worth a look if your home or be worth taping for future reference methinks.

cheers will have to tape them unless the boss is considerate !

Watched the 1st three quarters of the SA vs Vic Country, played at Symonds Stadium Geelong this arvo with howling gale conditions and thus a fairly scrappy affair with the SA lads dominant up to then [30+pts up]. Caleb Daniel was by far the standout player for SA, think Ian Callinan on steroids, think the commentators said he was the same height as Tony Liberatore and only 65kg but boy does he go hard, very quick, elite skills and a booming kick. Size with regard to the AFL could be his only knock I'd think.
Midway through the 3rd term the commentators mentioned he'd had 17 possessions and had laid 7 tackles. Billy Stretch, Durdin, Reid [200cm forward] and a kid called Hone all showed they have plenty of talent also to my eye anyhow.

Also found this article where Brenton Phillips has good wraps on Caleb Daniel and other SA boys.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2353/

SANFL News

12 Dec 2013

CALEB SETS CRACKING PACE

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

South Adelaide livewire Caleb Daniel has impressed as the 2014 SANFL Under-18 Academy launched its campaign with a two-day camp at St Mark’s College last weekend.

One of 56 of SA’s most talented players selected in next year’s squad, Daniel burst onto the scene this year to average 17 disposals in 10 league matches with the Panthers.

And the 17-year-old midfielder has certainly made his intentions clear for next season after finishing inside the top-10 in five categories tested.

Recording an impressive Level 15-7 to lead the way in the Beep Test, Daniel was also ranked in the top-five for the 20m sprint and 3km time trial.

He also posted strong scores in the Nathan Buckley Kicking Test and Matthew Lloyd Clean Hands Test.

‘’It is a mark of his professionalism that he was able to look after himself (during the off-season) and present himself in good nick,’’ SANFL High Performance Manager Brenton Phillips said of Daniel, who measures in at just 166cm and 66kg.

‘’He’s played league football to a reasonable standard so that will also give himself every opportunity next year.’’

Phillips was also impressed with North’s Oleg Markov, who won the 20m sprint in a time of 2.92 seconds, the Eagles’ Ethan Haylock and Glenelg’s Billy Stretch, who nearly broke the 10-minute barrier for the 3km time trial.

‘’His (Stretch’s) 3km run was fantastic,’’ Phillips said.

‘’The way he presents himself for football is first-class.’’

Phillips said the two-day gathering had provided him with confidence in planning to defend the Under-18 AFL National Championship next year.

‘’From my point of view it gives me a quick snapshot of the talent coming through,’’ Phillips said.

‘’And the needs required moving forward. I walked away from it on Sunday quietly confident that we have got enough talent to compete strongly at next year’s championships.’’

The SANFL Under-18 Academy will meet again in February next year for a week of training at Max Basheer Reserve leading up to an internal trial match at AAMI Stadium on February 15.

BEEP TEST – TOP FIVE
Caleb Daniel (South) 15-7
Ethan Haylock (Eagles) 15-3
Harry Vick (West) 15-0
Alex Neal-Bullen (Glenelg) 14-4
Jake Johansen (Port) 14-3

20M SPRINT – TOP FIVE
Oleg Markov (North) 2.92 seconds
Jack Elsworthy (Eagles) 2.96 seconds
Jack Donkersley (Glenelg) 2.97 seconds
Brett Turner (West) 2.97 seconds
Caleb Daniel (South) 2.99 seconds

3km TIME TRIAL – TOP FIVE
Billy Stretch (Glenelg) 10.01
Ethan Haylock (Eagles) 10.04
Harry Vick (West) 10.04
Alex Neal-Bullen 10.05
Caleb Daniel 10.09

Last edited:
Is that a hand up there, Bicks?

OK.

Here's a link to an article also from a keen draft watcher from the Bound For Glory site...Jourdan Canils who has us taking the Dandenong Stingrays player Tom Lamb.

http://boundforglorynews.com/jourdan-canils-phantom-draft/

9. Adelaide – Tom Lamb
Dandenong Stingrays
Height: 191 cm
Weight: 83 kg
Position: Midfielder/forward
Player comparison: Jared Brennan
Strengths: Match winner, speed, marking, hitting the scoreboard
Areas of improvement: Finding a position, consistency

Tom Lamb could be a really damaging player at AFL level, but I fear he will be tagged out of games too easily. He is one of the most potent outside players in this draft and has the ability to win games off his own boot like Petracca. Lamb can kick bags of goals when he wants and his marking when playing up forward can be unstoppable. His speed and athleticism is incredible for someone just under key forward size, and when the ball hits the deck, he will crumb like he is Leon Davis. Lamb is freakish at times, but he will need to learn how to impact the game each and every week at senior level.

Caleb Daniel was pretty amazing, is still well and truly up against it at under 170cm though.

Angus Brayshaw and Christian Petracca certainly backed up their hype, both looked very classy in the midfield. Wright and McCartin (Top 2 projected picks) were quite, McCartin did kick Country's only two goals.

Jarrod Garlett impressed me when WA played SA, and he did it again against Metro. Fast, agile and used the ball alright. Had about 14 possessions in a pretty terrible WA side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One to watch:

Jesse Watchman. 197cm. West Adelaide

Key Forward who can play Centre Half Back and pinch hit in the ruck.

Likely to be available in the 3rd round still.

Booming kick and clunking mark.

One to watch:

Jesse Watchman. 197cm. West Adelaide

Key Forward who can play Centre Half Back and pinch hit in the ruck.

Likely to be available in the 3rd round still.

Booming kick and clunking mark.

There's a reason he's not getting games for the state team and the only game he played was a howler. There are similarities between him and Hourigan (Watchman's battled a serious weight problem most of his life and see where that got Hourigan). I'm not one to publicly slander a kid on the internet so I won't go into detail but I will say that he carries extra baggage that other players do not, a lot of effort needs to be put into him and it's not one I think a club is going to want to put into him unless he was a genuine top 5 talent at best when at best he's a 20-25 talent. I certainly don't want him, needs to spend a year or two sorting his s**t out before he moves up.

There's a reason he's not getting games for the state team and the only game he played was a howler. There are similarities between him and Hourigan (Watchman's battled a serious weight problem most of his life and see where that got Hourigan). I'm not one to publicly slander a kid on the internet so I won't go into detail but I will say that he carries extra baggage that other players do not, a lot of effort needs to be put into him and it's not one I think a club is going to want to put into him unless he was a genuine top 5 talent at best when at best he's a 20-25 talent. I certainly don't want him, needs to spend a year or two sorting his s**t out before he moves up.

Trust me i know the issues you are talking about. I still think hes worth a punt.

5+ cm in height is the big difference in Hourigan and Watchman. Hourigan couldnt play KP at AFL level at his Height. Watchman can

Trust me i know the issues you are talking about. I still think hes worth a punt.

5+ cm in height is the big difference in Hourigan and Watchman. Hourigan couldnt play KP at AFL level at his Height. Watchman can

Players with his issues don't get a chance unless they're elite talents. Watchman isn't. Rookie at best and even then it's doubtful. Most of his dominance has been from just being that much bigger than everyone else - in terms of natural mental ability he's a bit lacking. That said you can still make a good career as without having smarts.

I just don't see from a game point of view what Watchman offers. His one game in the state champs he could not have been a bigger tree-stump, and for a kid who's already fairly big he should be able to physically impose on games.

Watched some of the Qld vs NSW U18's game this arvo, boy oh boy can a NSW kid called Isaac Heeney play some serious footy, looks like a surfie with his bleached blonde hair but this is a serious young talent.....only one problem I believe he is tied to the Swans in a deal similar to how we got Tex.

Watched some of the Qld vs NSW U18's game this arvo, boy oh boy can a NSW kid called Isaac Heeney play some serious footy, looks like a surfie with his bleached blonde hair but this is a serious young talent.....only one problem I believe he is tied to the Swans in a deal similar to how we got Tex.

A bit different - Sydney can poach these kids as early teens (like we could for the NSW scholarship) and they then join their academy for a good while. It's a little more set out in the way it goes and more mainstream. It's designed to improve the quality of footy in NSW/QLD which it's definitely doing.

Heeney's a gun. Wish we had him. Few others from NSW/QLD I wish we had...David, Griffiths, Steele, Hammelmann, Dawson...all class.

A bit different - Sydney can poach these kids as early teens (like we could for the NSW scholarship) and they then join their academy for a good while. It's a little more set out in the way it goes and more mainstream. It's designed to improve the quality of footy in NSW/QLD which it's definitely doing.

Heeney's a gun. Wish we had him. Few others from NSW/QLD I wish we had...David, Griffiths, Steele, Hammelmann, Dawson...all class.

I liked the look of Hammelmann too, big lad with plenty of scope, I'd take him before the Victorian KPP McCartin their pumping the tyres up of currently.

Really hope we go after Garlett. Hasn't got much attention so far with Pickett (despite underperforming) getting all of it when really Garlett's a better version. Might be able to snaffle him with a third and he adds the class and pure speed we really need. Footskills a little bit of an issue at times but very fixable. Flashes of a Yarran cross Pearce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back