Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Boyse because even if we already have a number of players for the position he's a free hit as a player who is virtually guaranteed to be AFL standard for what is probably a third round selection. I'm going to say that he's the best AFL prospect I've seen play VFL in the last 5 or 6 years.

At worst he becomes a valuable commodity. I can see him playing next year. He's got the size, work rate and athleticism to fit into as he mid-sized forward. That could becone important if 'finding our inner grunt' means that Begley and maybe even Laverde are set for stints in the reserves (though I'd really hope not).

I don't know about Stringer. As a set of attributes he is almost irresistible but the reality is that he's a weird player who doesn't do much for a forward structure.

I agree with the assessment that he's really more of a small forward in the sense that lead up play of a mid-sized player isn't really a feature of his game.

How do we turn our backs on someone like Hunter Clark, a perfect fit for our team, to give ourselves the most damaging mid sized tall/fourth forward in the game? It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

If we had seen more from players like Laverde, Langford and Begley it would make it a much easier decision.

Posted back in July that Boyse has enough AFL attributes to be drafted - Rate just below Dickson when he played in our VFL team.

Parish was best on for Falcons just did his usual game racking up the touches and even snagged a late goal.
Is he more inside than Darcy but with inferior skills/pace? Just wondering why he is predicted to go late in the draft.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Is he more inside than Darcy but with inferior skills/pace? Just wondering why he is predicted to go late in the draft.

He is good inside but I still prefer Darcys work on the inside. His kicking action needs work and needs to make quicker decisions by foot, makes good and clean decisions by hand. Overhead he is poor for his size and he can only really play in the middle

He is good inside but I still prefer Darcys work on the inside. His kicking action needs work and needs to make quicker decisions by foot, makes good and clean decisions by hand. Overhead he is poor for his size and he can only really play in the middle
Fair enough. Hope we pass on him then.

Will not be surprised one bit if he is taken in the rookie draft

Has a worse kicking action than Dylan Clarke

I suspect Cassidy will be chosen late in the ND - Would go rookie in most years.

That is my thinking..

Not too many major ball winners in this draft. Will go somewhere between 40 - 60.

I'd be suprised if we didn't draft him as a rookie

Won't last till the rookie draft but should

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty is an interesting case - SA hasn't produced as many draftees in the last 5 years, which you combine with a few of their players being behind in fitness compared to their interstate compatriots, then you have a recipe for SA players falling in the rankings.
It'll be fascinating to see where he ends up falling. From purely a talent perspective he'd probably be close to if not best of the lot, but obviously the injury/fitness questions will drag that back a bit. Much like Burton, if it hadn't been for that broken leg he could very easily have gone in the top 3-5.

Geelong Falcons
Cassidy Parish 33 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Harry Benson 26 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal
David Handley 16 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals 1 behind
Gryan Miers 12 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 goals 1 behind
James Worpel 25 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles
Matthew Ling 15 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles
Cooper Stephens 30 disposals, 7 marks
Ethan Floyd 28 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles
Tom McCartin 13 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 2 behinds
Josh Jaska 14 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles

Dandenong Stingrays
Aiden Bonar 14 disposals, 2 marks, 8 tackles, 1 behind
Hunter Clark 25 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal
Luke Davies-Uniacke 22 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal
Oscar Clavarino 17 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles
Riley D’Arcy 13 disposals, 1 goal 3 behinds

Oakleigh Chargers

Matthew Day - Injured
Charlie Thompson 18 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 2 behinds
Ed Richards 16 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Matthew King 23 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles
Jack Roughsedge 27 disposals, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind
Riley Jones 13 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles

Sandringham Dragons
Charlie Constable - Injured
Andrew Brayshaw 25 disposals, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal
Hamish Brayshaw 14 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals
Will Walker 16 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind
Angus Styles 16 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Ed Newman 11 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Sebastian Williams 22 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind
Joel Amartey 13 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 27 hitouts, 1 goal
Hayden McLean 8 disposals, 4 marks, 2 behinds

Hard working wingman in the Andrew Gaff mould, good left foot kick and runs both ways. He can be damaging going forward aswell and is decent overhead.

s**t first name but..
I like him. Where do you think he will go?

I dont see what others see in Miers. For his size id expect a bit more speed.

DPS whats you take on Ethan Floyd?

Was reasonably good on the weekend. Worked hard up and down the wing and gave them a good outlet when needed.

Out out of the two games Andrew Brayshaw was easily the best player on the day. Class, good enough speed and an inside/outside game. He is currently my hope for pick 11 but he could sneak higher.

Hunter Clarke did not do a lot wrong but the Falcons midfield was on top on the day so had a bit of a battle at times and after half time he was a bit of a lone hand. The Falcons made sure both he and LDU where maned up at the stoppages which limited their impact.

LDU was OK not his best game but you could still see why he is well like. Moves well, makes good decisions and can have an impact. Like Clarke he always had company at the stoppages. has a nice burst of speed to get into the clear.

Parish finds it a lot and is pretty creative by hand but he is not quick and has a dinky kicking action. I liked him early on this year but I was hoping his kicking would show signs of improving. Do not think it has and I am not sure it can. Is pretty limited in what he can do and that is win contested ball. At this stage to me he looks like a very good VFL level type but I am not sure he has the pace or improvement to be a regular AFL player.

Worpel was good enough but is clearly playing with a minor injury as he had to hobble to the bench a few times and is not covering the ground he was early in the year. In saying that he is being used well. Rather than being the all out clearance man he was one of the players picking up either Clarke or LDU at the stoppage and did a good job in keeping them under control. As usual his tackling , pressure and one percent efforts where good.
As far as his kicking goes I am going to go on record here and now and say "he is not a bad kick " in fact when he is in space he is a bloody good kick. His issue is the hack forward kick when he simply tries to kick it as far away as he can and it comes of the boot in all directions including helicopter punts and mungrel torps. It is a little like the problem Koby Much has which has kept him out of the side and very similar to Luke Dhalhaus at a similar age. It is something he has to work on and he probably should be looking for a handball option a lot of the times he does do it. Also will have to stop trying to run over blokes at AFL level.

Gryan Miers is a lively small forward who played well as he has done most of the year.

Ethan Floyd was pretty good on the wing and through the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back