Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
This deserves its own thread.

The AFL have announced that in 2021, clubs will have 3 opportunities to add rookies who were overlooked in the 2020 drafts- after rounds 4, 8 and 12.

This will be a really valuable tool. If this rule was in place in 2017, clubs could have signed Tim Kelly for free as he started to burn in the WAFL instead of waiting until the next draft and using #24 to get him. Other players who emerged like Kelly as stars after being overlooked in their draft year include Lewis Jetta (# 14 in 2009), Liam Ryan (#26 in 2017) Luke Ryan and Marlion Pickett. If you want to go back further, Clive Waterhouse, Mathew Primus and Ryan Fitzgerald all went in the top few picks more than a year after being draft eligible.

In 2021 about 60 currently 17 year old TAC cup players, eligible for the 2020 draft who don't get picked in the 2020 drafts will play TAC cup in 2021. There are always 10 or more players who go from being in the pack 12 months before their draft, who explode from the pack in their draft year. Those players couldn’t show their dramatic improvement in 2020 and will have to wait until 2021 to do that. They will be ripe for the picking in the 2021 Draft Windows.

I expect most clubs will leave a spot open for the 2021 draft windows. However, a case can be made for leaving more than just one spot available.

In our case, we have enough depth already and will be adding Jones and Schofield. Our first live pick will be at #50+. My point is, unless an absolute bargain drops to our first live pick, we will be better off waiting to the 2021 Draft Windows to add to our squad rather than adding any other rookies.

And the DFAs that are left could be of interest if there are injuries to players that cannot be covered easily. Another reason to leave 1 rookie spot available.

And the DFAs that are left could be of interest if there are injuries to players that cannot be covered easily. Another reason to leave 1 rookie spot available.

It would actually be tempting to leave a full list spot available. I assume those with a full list spot get prioritised before those with only a rookie spot?

Can you imagine the whining that will come out of sanfl HQ as the local clubs are raided? Start up the turbines.

I think you just sign the player you want as a rookie in the window. No actual draft.

On my calculations, after Jones and Schofield, we have two empty spots to fill. Unless a slider presents at our first live pick, I say we start 2021 with 2 open spots on our list and wait until after rounds 4, 8 and 12 to fill them.

In fact, I predict less than a dozen players will be taken in this year’s rookie draft, down from 33 in 2019 and 40 in 2018.. Clubs will instead wait and see and use the windows.

I think you just sign the player you want as a rookie in the window. No actual draft.

On my calculations, after Jones and Schofield, we have two empty spots to fill. Unless a slider presents at our first live pick, I say we start 2021 with 2 open spots on our list and wait until after rounds 4, 8 and 12 to fill them.

In fact, I predict less than a dozen players will be taken in this year’s rookie draft, down from 33 in 2019 and 40 in 2018.. Clubs will instead wait and see and use the windows.

I'm pretty sure that if 2 clubs nominate the same player then the lower ranked team gets them.

I can't remember where I read that though.

It’s pretty close to a priority pick for the bottom team.

lots of questions about how a ******* silent player auction works. What if you bid on a player and don’t get him? You just miss out altogether? Or you have to put in bids for 2 guys and hope you land 1? How does it even work?!

Oh no, our players are taking the biggest chance of their lives to be an AFL player! We need to put a stop to this! How misguided are they to think that playing in the AFL is better than good old dinki-dy fair dinkum SANdiddlyanful bickety bicks! - Stephen Rowe

Rowey said he was struggling to see the value Adelaide and Port Adelaide’s SANFL teams added to the comp.

“Ins climate with the SANFL salary cap halved, the list sizes cut – this is Port and Crows – and Crows not willing to pay the $400k fee, I can’t see any value in them, I really can’t see any value in them in the SANFL.
“I’d want this one gold-clad guarantee: you start the season, you finish the season. I don’t want to see the AFL pull you out after round 2, 5, 8 or 10 if COVID takes off. You start, you finish. That would be the only guarantee I would need.”

bwahahahah, not willing to pay the fee.

I hope the SANFL keep resisting, because all it will do is make the AFL move faster to usurp them and the Port and Crows leave their league and it falls off the face of the earth and becomes full blown SAAFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no, our players are taking the biggest chance of their lives to be an AFL player! We need to put a stop to this! How misguided are they to think that playing in the AFL is better than good old dinki-dy fair dinkum SANdiddlyanful bickety bicks! - Stephen Rowe

Rowey said he was struggling to see the value Adelaide and Port Adelaide’s SANFL teams added to the comp.
When I read the words “Rowey was struggling...” my mind immediately adds “...to do his shoelaces and breathe at the same time.”

When I read the words “Rowey was struggling...” my mind immediately adds “...to do his shoelaces and breathe at the same time.”
He seems like the type to walk into a pole while on his phone too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

How will the draft pick order go?

Bit unfair to go by the ladder like we do for the main draft after round 4, the ladder will differ significantly week by week at that early stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back