holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
What do you think we are looking for in the draft?

And who? (apart from benny c :D:D)

Do we look for another forward option? or add some more class in the midfield?

or go for a key possie back ??

i would love to see yarran in the red, white and black. said to be lazy but im sure he will go alright once in teh afl

Important we get the first pick right, given we don't get another until deep in the third round. Hurley/Trengove for my money, if either of them slide far enough.

What do you think we are looking for in the draft?

And who? (apart from benny c :D:D)

Do we look for another forward option? or add some more class in the midfield?

or go for a key possie back ??

i would love to see yarran in the red, white and black. said to be lazy but im sure he will go alright once in teh afl

Chris Yarran would be a great pick up if we could get him. I've seen a bit of him in the WAFL and he is a really talented half forward type who can take a good mark and knows where the goals are. He is already playing senior WAFL football too so would probably be able to have an impact straight away, a bit like Rioli did at Hawthorn. I know there are some question marks about his work ethic but I'm sure once you got him into the AFL system that would improve.

Not sure where Yarran will go in the draft but it would have to be a first round pick somewhere. If he is still available at pick 13 it would certainly be worth considering him, as he is just the sort of mid size half forward we need at the moment.

Important we get the first pick right, given we don't get another until deep in the third round. Hurley/Trengove for my money, if either of them slide far enough.

Well, let's just hope that Ray turns out to be a better player than no.32. Otherwise we'll probs regret it.

Kinda sucks though, cos this is said to be a pretty deep draft. Woulda been handy to have kept that pick.

We need a medium/tall forward, Key back, and fast midfielder.

Depends on Cousins in the midfield stock. Perhaps Cousins inclusion will allow us to take a key back/forward this year and pick up a midfielder next draft.

I really want a Stephen hill type player but perhaps a trengrove is more suitable. Fingers crossed Eddy can fill our half forward role with schneider in assistance.

Yarran I'm not convinced on. It would be nice if we could pick up a medium forward who can push into the midfield though.

I'm sure a lot of homework has been done by every club.
The Saints will have a list with specific targets for each of our picks and a list of alternatives likely to be available still.

My focus would be primarily on kicking skill.

Assuming five picks, I would look for a tall key position player type (x two), a pacy midfielder (x two), and a tall ruckman type.

The remaining spot, I assume, will be reserved for Benny.

Listening to the comments of Matthew Drain who is now in charge of the list, the club is much more aware of (1) where we want to be in 3-5 years (2) the gaps we want to fill.

Whether we go for a ruckman will depend on their view of Blake McGrath. After having gone for Macca last year, and if they retain Haretuku and McGrath, I would be disappointed if they went for a ruckman. We would have two experienced guys, three in development and ... um ... Kosi.

Key defenders and pacy mids are massive priorities.

Allen and Macca need to be developed as key forwards (they have already identified Allen for 2009). We have the in-and-unders well fillled via Ball, Hayes, Armo, Geary, Jones. Small forwards covered via Milne, Schneider, Steven. Small defenders Baker, Dempster, Eddy, Miles.

I agree with Squizzy.
Supporters tend to favour what the team needs right now without considering what is in the pipeline.
My number one concern is a key defender - because we will be weaker in that area when Max retires and the new defender(s) will need time to develop.
Forwards are also a concern as there are no guarantee's yet that Allen or McEvoy will amount to much. ( I have some confidence that at least one of them will be good - but no club has 100% hit rate on their draft's and the Saints seem to be unluckier than most). So I would like to see our ealiest pick going towards on of these players.

As much as i think drafting a KP as early as possible is important, i think we need to have a look at what's still around.

Yarran is growing on me. Lightning quick, very good skills, oozes talent, solid body shape can line up as soon as Rnd 1. Said to be better than Rioli too.
Will start off around the HFF and as he gains fitness progress to the midfield. If he realizes his 'Potential' (dirty word, i know :rolleyes:) will be the best player in the draft and turn out to be the next Daniel Kerr or Burgoyne (the good one).

IMO no chance Hurley will slide, won't get past Carlton if Essendon let him go. Trengove will have trouble getting past North, Adelaide, Collingwood and Sydney. So no chance there.

Lisle is our other KPD option.

Not mentioned much, and definitely won't be gone before our pick. Will go in the vicinity of 15-22.

Some more that will be around by our 3rd round picks:
Jordan Jones
Jayden Post
Riley Milne
Zach Sengstock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO no chance Hurley will slide, won't get past Carlton if Essendon let him go. Trengove will have trouble getting past North, Adelaide, Collingwood and Sydney. So no chance there.
With key backs there's always a chance, if any position tends to slide it's tall defenders. Look at Rance last year.

Yarran sounds good doesn't he. They will take into consideration he is an indigenous boy from the other side of the country. We know how Daniel Wells has slowly adapted after coming from WA.

Jackson Trengrove had a routine training mishap in june which ended his season. Did his knee, broke a bone in his leg which caused his hamstring to tear off the bone could see him slide beyond first round. Let's hope he doesn't have Kosi's syndrome:rolleyes:. How anyone can do that at training is beyond me.

Would Zeibell, Blease or Robinson be considered?

Hopefully Macca can plonk himself in the goal square next year rotating with Kosi in the ruck. King still our #1 ruckman with Kosi playing all over the ground also. Allen needs to step up and kick some goals to give Roo a hand.

Cousins to strengthen our midfeild with pace and skill.

So I think it's definately a Yarran half forward/midfeilder with blistering pace or Trengrove key back type. Lyon loves his defenders.

The million dollar question is which one of those guys carries a higher risk, Yarran's work ethic or Trengroves injuries? Saying that Buddy franklin was critisised for being lazy in his year.

Some other poster pointed this out but have you noticed though that it seems every single indigenous player coming into the draft always has a 'work ethic problem' or is 'lazy'?

I agree with this guy.

With so many late picks your likelihood of aiming at a more senior player is probably high.

Any chance you could go for Greg Tivendale?

I heard he will be nominating for the draft, so maybe a club has told him they might be interested. I've also heard St Kilda's name pop up, but really not sure.

He was getting 35 possies + 4 goals in nearly every match for Coburg this year but Terry told him early on he was not required due to the youth policy. has finished in the top end of our B+F for many years, I've always thought he'd made a great wingman in a winning team (he was a gun in 2001 when Richmond were winning).

Just a thought, he's certainly 10x better than Fiora that's for sure.

Tyrone Vickery will end up as the gun from this draft but wont be at 13. Im sure someone will slip and we will pounce, it always happens.

I'm not sure he'll be the gun of the draft dude.

With so many late picks your likelihood of aiming at a more senior player is probably high.

Any chance you could go for Greg Tivendale?

I heard he will be nominating for the draft, so maybe a club has told him they might be interested. I've also heard St Kilda's name pop up, but really not sure.

He was getting 35 possies + 4 goals in nearly every match for Coburg this year but Terry told him early on he was not required due to the youth policy. has finished in the top end of our B+F for many years, I've always thought he'd made a great wingman in a winning team (he was a gun in 2001 when Richmond were winning).

Just a thought, he's certainly 10x better than Fiora that's for sure.

No brother. Greg Tivendale is no good.

Finally, footage of the unknown in Tom Swift.

[youtube]xvkCiXdkV64[/youtube]

I'm sold. Happy with any of Yarran, Trengove or Swift. :thumbsu:

I love it. A highlights package where the player only does good things!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back