List Mgmt. Drafting SA kids as a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we need to take a leaf out of West Coasts book and get a higher % of SA kids on the list.
Not only is there the risk of losing them back home but there is also the inflationary pressure on the cap.
The reality is that every time a Vic kid that's half good contract comes up some Vic clubs try to get them home. With 10 teams over there, one is going to make a big offer that we will have to match or come to the party over to keep them. It was done with Sloane, Mookay, Lynch and now maybe Matt Crouch.
So while we may not lose the player we have to give them more coin to keep them here. This doesn't happen with SA kids. It doesn't happen to WC with their WA boys.
When Geelong has more SA kids on their list than we do I think that's a worry.

I agree 100% .. We miss too many gems right under our noses because of our vic-centric recruitment team.

I think the state of origin should definitely be a consideration but I wouldn't rate it too highly personally.

perhaps you could dock a point or two for Vic Metro kids, but I'm pretty confident about hanging onto the more regional ones like Sloane, Talia, Crouches, Lever, etc (Patty obviously an exception given that Geelong have an AFL side...) as well as other interstaters.

Pick the best talent wherever they come from, some will leave - most will stay.

It usually balances up with the players that want to come home to SA anyway.

Yep, we've lost a few to the go home issue, but if that influenced our recruiting we'd have missed out on some gems from interstate like Sloane, Talia, Tex etc. Take the best available.

I'm for getting the best talent from wherever but I wouldn't be apposed to us doing more to be in the position to take SA kids at their rightful draft position.

But if the first SA player is rated as top 5 and we can't get there and the next player is rated 20+ there is no way I would want the club to spend pick 10-15 on them, but if we have pick 35, sure lets try and get a pick in the 20's to make it happen.

Last edited:
how many times does it have to shown what a ******* stupid idea this is before people stop going all goldfish and suggesting the same thing every week or so?

round and ******* round we go

its a dumb idea. it'll be a dumb idea next time someone else suggests too. :D

you pick the best players available to you, if you need a tiebreak go for the local lad, but only if they are about equal.

West Coast don't have a list composed of 'x amount' of Western Australians. They have a best talent available policy and it just so happens that WA junior football is incredibly strong. The argument for drafting from home as a priority will only lead to failure.

What we need to do more of is identify home grown talent that hasn't kicked on at interstate clubs (see Aish, Toumpas etc). This is how we develop a strong list whilst spending speculative picks on high end talent.

Take the best talent available (players who play within their first contract) and keep project players for SA talent. Players who play are less likely to go home - PD is not the norm

Here's how some of our recent drafting would have gone going by this principle, assuming the "best SA kid available" is the next SA kid after our pick to be drafted.

I've bolded the interstate swaps we would have won

Lever → Durdin
Wigg
McGovern → Caleb Daniel [Too early to tell, but Daniel looks okay]
Dear → No One
O'Brien → Tom Read
Ramsey
Wilson
M. Crouch → Sean Lemmens
Knight
Cameron → Joel Tippett
Kelly → Zac Bates
Atkins → No One
Hartigan → Mitch Clisby
Kerridge → Alex Forster

Grigg
Ellis-Yolmen
Laird
Smith
Lyons → Luke Davis
Talia → Christian Howard
Gunston (Departed) → Justin Bollenhagen
Shaw → Byron Summer

Wright
Jaensch
Davis (Departed Anyway)
McKernan (Delisted) → Matthew Broadbent
Sloane → Rhys Stanley
Henderson → Adam Varcoe
Dangerfield (Departed) → Brad Ebert

Otten → Levi Greenwood [Even call this one]
Martin
Tippett (Departed) → Chris Schmidt
Mackay → Lindsay Thomas
Douglas → Cleve Hughes
Vince (Traded)
Van Berlo → Cain Ackland
Maric (Traded) → Henry Slattery
Knights (Departed) → Benet Copping
Griffin (Departed) → Jack Juniper
Reilly → Jarrad Wright

Last edited:
Here's how some of our recent drafting would have gone going by this principle, assuming the "best SA kid available" is the next SA kid after our pick to be drafted.

I've bolded the interstate swaps we would have won

Lever → Durdin
Wigg
McGovern → Caleb Daniel [Too early to tell, but Daniel looks okay]
Dear → No One
O'Brien → Tom Read
Ramsey
Wilson
M. Crouch → Sean Lemmens
Knight
Cameron → Joel Tippett
Kelly → Zac Bates
Atkins → No One
Hartigan → Mitch Clisby
Kerridge → Alex Forster
Grigg
Ellis-Yolmen
Laird
Smith
Lyons → Luke Davis
Talia → Christian Howard
Gunston (Departed) → Justin Bollenhagen
Shaw → Byron Summer
Wright
Jaensch
Davis (Departed Anyway)
McKernan (Delisted) → Matthew Broadbent
Sloane → Rhys Stanley
Henderson → Adam Varcoe
Dangerfield (Departed) → Brad Ebert
Otten → Levi Greenwood [Even call this one]
Martin
Tippett (Departed) → Chris Schmidt
Mackay → Lindsay Thomas
Douglas → Cleve Hughes
Vince (Traded)
Van Berlo → Cain Ackland
Maric (Traded) → Henry Slattery
Knights (Departed) → Benet Copping
Griffin (Departed) → Jack Juniper
Reilly → Jarrad Wright

and yet, someone else will make the same argument again in a few days time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's just over 100 sa players in the entire league.

Only about half of that are considered best 22.

We would need to somehow draft the absolute best sa players in the league, and even then would probably suck. The current sa origin side wouldn't be pretty, especially when you take the players nearing retirement out.

how many times does it have to shown what a ******* stupid idea this is before people stop going all goldfish and suggesting the same thing every week or so?
round and ******* round we go

Let the Corgis roam! It's understandable going back to that thread would be like pulling teeth but there were some good chat about this topic so this thread is actually a good place to quote the gist of it again.

We will never win a flag if we only recruited players from South Australia

1998 is 17 years ago becoming the alternative has hardly worked how much resources went into dangerfield tippet et al you simply have no evidence to support your assumption

Evidence
Just look at how many South Australians get drafted overall and at what stage in the draft and then look at what talent you will be ignoring
For every Tippett that leaves there is a Talia and Douglas that stays and then there are players like Betts and JJ where we provide a 2nd football opportunity which you would want us to not explore
Any suggestion of an All SA side is just Ludacris and will keep us pinned to the bottom of the AFL table

Picking only South Australians would mean forfeiting 15 spots (at the very least) in the draft for every pick we will ever make from now on. We would be down the bottom of the ladder in a matter of 5 or so years. We would get the number 1 pick but may have to ignore the top 10 or so best players in the country so we can pick a South Australian player. This strategy gets mentioned all the time and its seriously the dumbest thing imaginable.

I'm not saying recruit SA kids instead (although I used too). I'm saying there's an issue and I'm not sure how to fix it because if it keeps happening, we are no chance in hell of winning a premiership.

The issue is most of the talent comes from Victoria, and there are 10 options to choose from if they want to go home. Most would pick the vic lifestyle over SA especially those who grew up in vic. We even see SA kids settle into Melbourne and not wish to return.

It's always going to be a problem. Some will stay, some will go. Unfortunately I think the better the player, the harder it will be to keep.

We can talk about what we are or are not doing right, loyalty and culture, but at the end of the day only the lure of premiership success will keep a Victorian with the slightest inclination to go home.

The cash on offer and bonus of going home is too strong otherwise.

The thing about drafting that never gets taken into consideration by the "Draft SA Kids" brains trust is that if an interstate player leaves then we don't get nothing back, except Tippett which was an obvious exception. Gunston we got reamed and still improved our overall position.

If Dangerfield leaves we'll get more than pick 10, so other than the emotional ineptness of the argument why should have we picked Brad Ebert instead? Time put into the player makes little difference if you're timing the trades okay and they keep cycling through. Theoretically we could end up with a much better list through drafting by value and trading for more than we paid when they want to leave.

It's a bit like any investing strategy and the whole list needs to be looked at as a portfolio of value.

. signature [c2].jpg

As has been mentioned, Afc must continue to draft the best talent, regardless of origin. This is a no brainer strategy.

However, we should always be looking for opportunities to trade back our fair share of sa talent. With the expected danger trade, great opportunity to grab Murdoch, menzel, any of the lions trio, etc... But again should not be limiting to sa players as Hampton & bennell are also players of need, which should be the primary reason for trading.

im not sure if its true but i think Port keep away from Vic Metro boys with their higher picks, i think they are happy to take them with their lower picks but pick bush kids when they have the choice

I agree with Cleric in principle.

Our biggest problem has been all the excellent SA players are gone by our first draft pick!

Be nice if we had zones (Crows and Power) draft from SANFL only. No one else gets there grubby mitts on our SA players. Still have the Free agent thing so players can get the big offers. Might make it even more tribal.
Back to the days of Macca telling the big V to * off.

Pick best available. If it's a 50-50 call, then go with the SA boy.

I'd rather get several years of good football out of a kid and (hopefully) extract a good deal if they go home than 10 years of vanilla football from a local kid.

The quality of SA footballer is not there to have such a hard and fast policy. Are any SA players in the top 20 in terms of quality right now?

How many from the AA squad of 40?

Also, we have actually traded in more non South Aussies than South Aussies in the past five years.

Tom Lynch - Victorian
Kyle Cheney - Victorian
Luke Lowden - Victorian
Josh Jenkins - Victorian
Sam Jacobs - SA
Eddie Betts - WA till 15 then Victoria
Angus Graham Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Back