List Mgmt. Drafting SA kids as a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe they were big players in the annual Moggs Creek "Copulating of the Cousins" festival.

You would be great fun at parties.
Id rather not attend the sort of parties you would go to. :cool:

You are being a bit of a dick. Reckon you should give it a rest.

I know drafting SA kids as a priority seems simplistic but the club does need to start thinking outside the square regarding recruiting/drafting.

I am an advocate of drafting best available talent.
But can understand the frustrations that if you deem being a 1 club player for Crows as successful drafting of an interstater, and that after 25 years the top 3 would consist of Brent Reilly, Nathan Van Berlo, and Richard Douglas.
Because of consistently losing genuine A-Graders to the "go home" factor such as Tyson Stenglein, Kane Johnson, Phil Davis, Jack Gunston, Kurt Tippett, and Patrick Dangerfield, then maybe something has to change.

WA clubs get more WA talent than we can get SA kids because VIC/NSW/QLD recruiters see the WA kids less than they see the Vic/SA kids. WA kids seem to fall down the draft order retrospectively, where as SA kids are usually spot on if not over rated. We should increase our presence in WA and look closer at their kids.

When you have a kid from SA/WA/NSW/QLD you only have 2 clubs trying to get that kid to come home, when you get a kid from Victoria, you have 10 clubs trying to get that kid to come home.

Given the chance to take PD again in that draft I think we would make the same choice, we tool a kid at 10, got 7 years of good service out of him, then will turn him into potentially 2 first round picks. At the end of the day, that pick should be a win for the AFC.

I have no problem with our current policy. The facts are that SA kids that are good, go high in the draft before we have a pick (in recent times). And when our picks have come around, the next best SA kids aren't as good as the available players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But can understand the frustrations that if you deem being a 1 club player for Crows as successful drafting of an interstater, and that after 25 years the top 3 would consist of Brent Reilly, Nathan Van Berlo, and Richard Douglas.

There is a few problems with this thought process.

Adelaide was very insular with it's drafting in the 90's by only going after SA born players, and the lack of professionalism in regards to the draft. In fact, i'd say it wasn't until the early-mid 2000s that we really had taken that next step with drafting and we're regularly drafting non SA players, which means that this would be the first batch that would be coming up to the end of their career. This, coupled we were more miss than hit with that draft until around 2007, leads to the problem that you mentioning.

In 10 years, the top 3 will most likely be Rory Sloane, Daniel Talia and Richard Douglas (This also assumes we don't count McLeod who was from the NT, and we don't count players who are still playing). Now that's a handy top 3 and if we have players that are still around counted, the top 10 will most likely be very, very handy.

Because of consistently losing genuine A-Graders to the "go home" factor such as Tyson Stenglein, Kane Johnson, Phil Davis, Jack Gunston, Kurt Tippett, and Patrick Dangerfield, then maybe something has to change.

Lets look at this rationally, shall we?

Kane Johnson/ Tyson Stenglien: Don't remember the details of those deals.
Phil Davis: Got a once in a lifetime offer from GWS, and left for money. (Also did some of his schooling in SA, and had family here, i do believe)
Jack Gunston: Was a flight risk that we backed in, shame a premiership fancy came in. Unfortunate, but every club has lost a player in this way.
Kurt Tippett: Had flight risk issues that were highlighted early. We should of cut our losses in 2011, but Tippett leaving highlights at lot of issues with our club then, not our inability to keep non-SA'ers.
Patrick Dangerfield: One of the few genuine "wanted to go home" cases in our history.

That said though, it's what 4 A graders, and 2 with potential in about what 13-14 years. That's hardly consistent ;)

No matter what drafting strategy, no matter how good you're player retention programs are, you will always lose some, as they are looking for different than what the club can provide. There is no point, however, getting gun shy because it's your turn with that.

When was Stenglein a "genuine A-Grader"?
He was a handy midrange, mainly tagger

There's just over 100 sa players in the entire league.

Only about half of that are considered best 22.

We would need to somehow draft the absolute best sa players in the league, and even then would probably suck. The current sa origin side wouldn't be pretty, especially when you take the players nearing retirement out.

But but but, grass roots footy. Don't the sanfl spend our $10mill on developing young footballers??

Please dont tell me they waste this money on has beens to prop up their self proclaimed 2nd best comp in tne land.

West Coast - 24 WA, 11 Vic, 4 SA
Freo - 18 WA, 13 Vic, 6 SA
Port - 14 SA, 18 Vic, 5 WA
Adelaide - 12 SA, 25 Vic, 3 WA

Geelong - 12 SA

So West Coast have well and truely put their efforts into drafting WA kids. Geelong have as many SA kids as we do, and we have over twice as many Vic kids than SA while WC have more than double WA kids than Vic.

I think we are in a bit of slump here in terms of producing talent. Where are all the good players around the 80-150 game range? Take out some of the older SA players and what does the state team look like? Not too pretty.

Theres been plenty of top picks/hyped players go bust in recent years too (or on the way)
Toumpas 4
Tapscott 18
Howard 15
Gorringe 10
Tape 13
Johnston 12
Trengove 2
Shoenmakers 16
Obrien 28

While names like Mayes, Menzel x2, GHS, Kennedy, Lycett, Aish, Polec have all had trouble cementing a spot in the 22 to date. Its a far cry from the days of Platten, Kernahan, Jarman, Bradley etc.
On average SA kids play more AFL games and spend more time on AFL lists than kids from any other state. Source = Brenton Phillips.
TAC cup kids are over rated compared to kids from WA or SA and get drafted ahead of them.

stenglein = Thommo
Kane Johnson = pick 2
Phill Davis = Brad crouch
Jack Gunston = JJ & Tommy Lynch

Hell yeah!

Tippett = banning of triggy

whoop whoop

Danger = ?

Maybe we should only draft interstate players? I'm now worried the go home factor might dry up!! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back