Opinion Drafting since 2003 (taken from the Myers thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

After 3 years in the system- 2 of which were promising, he has too many deficiencies in his game.

Watson at 21 had shitloads of deficiencies, a lot more than Melk. Look how he turned out

I am discussing whether he will be a very good/elite player - Hasn't shown he can reach this level.

Yoda, assuming that all drafts are roughly equal, and that the average elite player plays 13 years, we're talking about slightly less than 3 elite midfielders per draft. You're demanding that our first round pick should fall into that category every year or its a massive fail. Aside from the fact that no team has done that ever, our highest pick used on a midfielder since 2000 is pick 6 on Myers, then we have pick 8 on Heppell and into double figures. These are the picks you're demanding top 3 midfielders from the draft of as the pass/fail delineation. /quote]

I have never said every pick needs to be a superstar, not once.! I have tried to get my point across that I would like more top class players. At the moment, it isn't happening IMHO..

To who? The coaches? Who have picked him every time he is fit, and sent him in the select group to train at altitude?

Obviously they don't see anything in him, hey?

Give it a break.

They are certainly giving him every chance.

Jake is a top 10 draft pick.. the club has to try to develop him.

I am not alone in thinking he needs to show something this year.

They are certainly giving him every chance.

Jake is a top 10 draft pick.. the club has to try to develop him.

I am not alone in thinking he needs to show something this year.

If they were "giving him every chance" he would be in the reserves.

His position in the team is "they seriously rate him".

I also rate him. He needs to learn a bit still be he's going to be a fine player for a long time.

If they were "giving him every chance" he would be in the reserves.

His position in the team is "they seriously rate him".

I also rate him. He needs to learn a bit still be he's going to be a fine player for a long time.

From what I've seen I disagree, but genuinely hope you are right

Seriously? Based on last year?
based on his first 2 years actually. 2 years of promise>1 down year in terms of importance

I have never said every pick needs to be a superstar, not once.! I have tried to get my point across that I would like more top class players. At the moment, it isn't happening IMHO..
Everyone would like more top class players, that is a given. The problem is that you seem entirely incapable of understanding the blindingly obvious reasons why most players are not top class.

Again, read this post: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...n-from-the-myers-thread.993188/#post-27374377

The club cannot draft top class players if top class players are not available. Nor can they predict injury plagues without any history of such. End of story.

It was a rhetorical question.

Would have thought it was obvious, in the extreme, as to why Melksham has racked up the games much quicker than Myers.

Because the coaches don't rate Melksham, obviously. They're putting him in games just to pad his stats so they can trade him for a third round pick in two years.

Myers they actually rate heaps, but they're worried we wont be able to fit all our stars in under the salary cap, so they're sneaking around to his house when he's asleep and injuring him. They reckon they only need to do it for a year or so more and by then his loyalty to the club that 'stood by him' will be so strong they can pay him peanuts while he becomes a champion player of the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally disagree. Jobe was a very good player at 21. The club doc told me in early 2006 (Jan/Feb) that Jobe was a diesel Williams in the making. Ended up runner up in the B&F (would have won it if Sheedy didn't have a chip on his shoulders about the Watsons), and became an absolute ball magnet. He was leading the AFL at one point that year for possessions vs time on ground.
You only had to watch Jobe for 5 minutes to know he had special vision & awareness. Jobe had two issues - getting himself fit, (which he did pre season 2006) and his kicking. You can work on both of those, and he did.

Melksham needs to take the next step this year.

This is where history is being re-written to suit an argument. There is no way anyone could have sensibly predicted that the Jobe of 2006 would have evolved into a Brownlow medalist and gun of the competition. Why is the club doctor a reliable authority for predicting the development of a player.

How does a plodding inside midfielder who can't kick the ball to save himself when he isn't just handballing, and can't play more than 60% of game time, but can get the ball 25 times show more potential than a guy with the ability to move through stoppages as though the rest of the players on the ground are standing still to then drill 50-60m bullets or bomb goals despite his tendency to float in and out of games/seasons?

Jobe's consistency from 2006 is something that Melksham has not gotten close to but the potential best of Melksham (based on the glimpses he has shown) is so far in front of Jobe's potential best pre 2010 that it isn't funny.

Cause Melksham has done it in half the time..

Do you stop needing experience once you reach 22 years old?

No, you've just said that Myers is a failed pick because he's not in the top 5% of his position after 45 games.

Do you stop needing experience once you reach 22 years old?

No, you've just said that Myers is a failed pick because he's not in the top 5% of his position after 45 games.

Using selective topics for argument? Guess we keep Myers on the list till he reaches that 60 - 80 games experience where people often say such players enter there prime.

Out of curiosity Ben.. Put your neck on the line, lamaros, Doss you guys too.. Do you rate Myers on output? Or you in the potential category?

Using selective topics for argument? Guess we keep Myers on the list till he reaches that 60 - 80 games experience where people often say such players enter there prime.

Out of curiosity Ben.. Put your neck on the line, lamaros, Doss you guys too.. Do you rate Myers on output? Or you in the potential category?

Of course we do. What a stupid ******* question. Par for the course.

I rate his output as worth being in the side, but I think he has a lot more left in him that will come out once he has a settled position and a good run of games.

I rate him on output, of course.

And I am confident that if he can finally have some luck with injuries, then we will see his best a lot more often.

As for your next question to lamaros, of course that would depend on when that next flag is, but if he can get his body right...put it this way, I still think he has at least seven to eight years in him and I would anticipate him being an integral part of the side. Who knows, let's say Jobe retires at the end of 2017, Goddard would also be 32, Myers would then be 28 and could easily be, with Zaharakis and Heppell, the leader of our midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back