Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that is a good point.

It could be argued that we may have been price enforcing knowing full well that Port and Brisbane would match those bids, so it didn’t really reflect our valuation at all.

But that’s probably giving the recruiting staff too much credit.

In a bubble, I’m happy backing our recruiters and taking a risk in a high variance year... but in reality it’s probably a poorly planned desperation move, combined with a need for a feel-good narrative to appease the irate fanbase.

And yet it may still pay off. Macrae looks good, Henry has a high percentage chance of making it from what I’ve seen, McIness at least we have the most insight into of any prospect in the 2020 draft, and people so far have been very excited at what Poulter and McMahon have shown even at this very early stage.

Poulter and McMahon do look good. I'm ok with trading out this year's first for them. Remember, we also got additional points out of that trade to match a bid for Daicos. Even if we have a top 5 pick, there's not much we could do with it this year that would put us in a much better position. We wouldn't be able to trade out for a gun player as we have no salary cap room. We could trade it to a team for more points but at best we might end up with an additional late 2022 first rounder after matching the bid for Daicos. Given our need to accelerate our rebuild, we need to get the kids in now and develop/play them rather than waiting another 2 years.

I think you’re conflating mid-draft picks (if you can call picks in the teens and twenties that) with mid-level talent. Draft position is a moderately successful indicator of whether a prospect will make it as an AFL player, and it is strongly influenced by the opportunity provided to players who have had a club invest significantly in them at the draft table.

What it is not particularly successful at indicating is a player’s ceiling. We are not more likely to get a bunch of “Josh Thomas” types because our picks didn’t come in the top ten. So don’t despair over getting role players and not game changers, we just don’t have the data for that.
TRS I have moved my reply to a more relevent thread

Can’t agree with you that draft position doesn’t have a good correlation with career success.

1st re our “mid draft” picks. The 9 picks we have had in the last 2 drafts were 2 in the teens, 1 in 20s, 2 in 30’s, 3 in 40s and 1 in 50s. I would call that very much mid to late draft.

If you look at a site like draft guru you can see a lot of data re different picks. There is a fairly linear reduction in career games and in various awards , AAs, B&Fs, Brownlow etc as you move from early to later picks

Of course there are still plenty of gems picked up in the mid and later draft just not as many, and it’s significantly less, as earlier picks

Why we are relying on to get our list back into reasonable shape is for Hine to outperform the other club recruiters by quite a margin

It’s a big ask

Remove this Banner Ad

Back