DraftMe's Big Board & Mock Draft 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to have quite some ego and attitude to script to someone in this forum that their views are amateurish .

If you read many of my post I could not do a phantom draft as it would in my view be totally unfair to comment on the vast majority of those to be drafted , those outside of WA.

What I continue to struggle with is very strong and what appears to be uniformed opinion on WA boys both upside and downside . Also a lack of understanding of draft processes . Until a few years ago I knew only at a superficial level but having spent past 5 years immersed in WA footy each weekend , meeting talent scouts, recruiters , agents it is quite eye opening .

Even the latest combine results you can see how it is just a small part of the equation . The Academy make all their data available to clubs so they know much of the data driven results .

An example SPS best hands, cleanest kick I've seen in local footy for years . All "experts" agree he is top class but failed to make top ten . Just a result in the day

SPP who according to some forum scribes can't kick, his kicking is poo, rubbish, came out top in goal kicking . Again a single kick on the day decides this

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some people just enjoy getting their thoughts out there and base their opinions on either very limited viewing, or just other peoples thoughts on players. I've seen you post how your knowledge is limited to mainly WA players, which is fair enough. We're all very limited in our viewing on players, you probably have a lot more information on WA prospects than a majourity of this board, considering what you've stated above. Maybe create a thread talking about WA prospects and help get some positive information onto this board.
There are a number of WA prospects I would like a second thought on, my limited viewing this year could be off.

I still see no issue with someone posting their thoughts on a player with limited viewing. I have constant debates with a few mates with regards to players, one player is Ainsworth. I am constantly talking about certain upsides and he is talking about certain downsides which I just don't see.

Now when an amateur talks about downsides and you personally disagree, that does not always mean they're completely uniformed, it could just mean they rate that player differently to yourself.

I suggest you look at your posting across a lot of phantom drafts and see how often you post a negative comment towards the poster.

An example SPS best hands, cleanest kick I've seen in local footy for years . All "experts" agree he is top class but failed to make top ten . Just a result in the day

SPP who according to some forum scribes can't kick, his kicking is poo, rubbish, came out top in goal kicking . Again a single kick on the day decides this

I completely agree with your above thoughts, this is why sometimes you take those results with a grain of salt.
I do like getting agility, speed and endurance results as I have limited viewing on players and it helps me add a little more information to my little viewing on players.

Latest Update (9 October)
bigboard17.jpg

17top80.jpg
Full update to the top 80 reflecting the past 3 weeks!

Also thought I'd share my personal highlights of the draft combine:
  • The way Griffin Logue chased down Josh Battle in the 3km
  • Oliver Florent's everything
  • Hearing some of the extreme tactics certain clubs used in interviews

Full update to the top 80 reflecting the past 3 weeks!

Also thought I'd share my personal highlights of the draft combine:
  • The way Griffin Logue chased down Josh Battle in the 3km
  • Oliver Florent's everything
  • Hearing some of the extreme tactics certain clubs used in interviews
Griff a good one but his season did finish early and he withdrew from the Friday scratch match . My guess did the wise thing freshened up and trained specifically for Combine . The clubs will have enjoyed his attitude in reeling Battle in.

My 1st 2016 mock draft is now up here in the 2nd post. Just a 1st round for this 1st version, at this stage I plan on adding a new round (+ slight adjustments) with each update. A very tricky draft to predict so let's keep comments constructive.

My 1st 2016 mock draft is now up here in the 2nd post. Just a 1st round for this 1st version, at this stage I plan on adding a new round (+ slight adjustments) with each update. A very tricky draft to predict so let's keep comments constructive.
Good first effort. In terms of Brisbane's needs, the best early 1st round mock draft I have seen.

Will be delighted if it falls this way and we grab Florent. Obviously played under duress for most of the year but he was excellent at the tail end. Really a great fit in terms of player type as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good first effort. In terms of Brisbane's needs, the best early 1st round mock draft I have seen.
Thanks, at Brisbane's 2nd pick I had Jy Simpkin as the best available player but because of a pretty stacked young forward line I sided with Jarrod Berry. I actually really like Simpkin's potential as a midfielder so if Brisbane see the same then I reckon they should go for him. If it weren't for the broken leg I think we'd be talking about him as a better version of Oli Florent.
Apart from a switch between SPS and Taranto and Perryman coming before Scrimshaw, we have the exact same first 13.
Those Gold Coast picks are very tricky to pick!

Pretty Positive we will pick up Scheer (GC Academy)
I agree, I expect a bid to come in the 2nd round.
Who do you like for ports 30/31?
If they don't pick Todd Marshall in the 1st round then they probably consider another key forward like Pat Kerr. Others options in that range could be Willem Drew, Jordan Ridley, Kobe Mutch or Jordan Gallucci. Or it could be a good spot to pick up one or two of the local lads, Scharenberg, Graham, Cox and Walker.

Thanks, at Brisbane's 2nd pick I had Jy Simpkin as the best available player but because of a pretty stacked young forward line I sided with Jarrod Berry. I actually really like Simpkin's potential as a midfielder so if Brisbane see the same then I reckon they should go for him. If it weren't for the broken leg I think we'd be talking about him as a better version of Oli Florent.

Our second pick is a tricky one. I find it is at one of those spots in the draft where it's possible that the players you hope are there or there a bouts, have all just been drafted right before your pick.

Personally, I am hoping one of Oliver Florent, Jarrod Berry or Alex Witherden are available. If those three players are all gone, then Jy Simpkin is definitely in my range as best available player rather suiting a position of need.

Prease exprain?
I was actually referring to the interview styles some clubs used with certain players, not the usual weird questions. Some clubs took a particularly harsh approach with some players while others were kept very friendly.
God damn they are - I'm starting to feel like they may pluck Scrimshaw and throw him on the back-flank. Don't write off Todd Marshall either - they could built a Giants' like forward line (Patton, Lobb, Cameron)
Yeah, I had Scrimshaw at one of GC's first 2 picks for a while before settling on SPS and Taranto. Could make good cases for a lot of players at those selections.

Why do you have Adelaide taking Villis at pick 13? Purely because he is South Australian? Venables and Berry are much better options?
I had him there because in my opinion he is one of the best kicks in the draft, has a lot of potential, can be useful in a number of positions and I thought he could fit into that team. The fact he's from SA is just a small bonus. I liked his work through the champs where he averaged 15.3 disposals and displayed his elite kicking and decision making as well as getting to play senior football this year for Norwood. He's a guy you want with the ball in his hand.

I had him there because in my opinion he is one of the best kicks in the draft, has a lot of potential, can be useful in a number of positions and I thought he could fit into that team. The fact he's from SA is just a small bonus. I liked his work through the champs where he averaged 15.3 disposals and displayed his elite kicking and decision making as well as getting to play senior football this year for Norwood. He's a guy you want with the ball in his hand.
I think we already have enough outside players, I'm thinking we likely go bigger bodied guys like Jarrod Berry, Daniel Venables, Sam Powell Pepper that have inside/outside ability and are far more contested beasts than Villis...

I think we already have enough outside players, I'm thinking we likely go bigger bodied guys like Jarrod Berry, Daniel Venables, Sam Powell Pepper that have inside/outside ability and are far more contested beasts than Villis...

Wont happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back