Society/Culture Drag queens reading to kids in libraries

Remove this Banner Ad

"unabashedly queer role models" indicates a sexuality, does it not?
If we're talking about discussion of sexual acts or any of that stuff, no it doesn't. That has no place in this program and Im sure it doesn't.

I interpret that as presenting role models who don't got in the traditional gender or relationship mould. Kids learn about this everyday anyway. They see their teacher's partner at the school play, they see traditional familes at parent interviews. I don't see a problem with them seeing these drag queens.

If parents weren't comfortable, Im sure the school would allow them to not let their kids go, which is their right.

In your opinion yes.

Ask yourself why do cross dressers / drag queens want to dress up in an attractive feminite way? Why do they want to look attractive? Therein lies your answer.

Do they? I'm not attracted to drag queens so it is difficult to hypothesise.

Most do it to entertain IMO. Their costumes, hair and make up is way over the top. They are pretty much playing characters.

In your opinion yes.

Ask yourself why do cross dressers / drag queens want to dress up in an attractive feminite way? Why do they want to look attractive? Therein lies your answer.

Kids in their formative years are not sexually aroused, that still doesn't except strippers dressed up as a saucy policeman / policewoman reading books to kids in kindy or primary school does it.

No one (here at least) is disputing that drag queens are people capable of love and nurture, only ridiculous rwnj's would state as much. That's not the issue though is it. The issue is that it is far reaching just to include a minority group by using an inappropriate platform to do so.

You're attracted to cross dressers? Alrighty..

Yes.
If a strippers is dressed in a gstring... I'd agree they shouldn't read to kids.
If a woman is dressed as a man, fully clothed... what's the issue?

How are they sexually dressed? The ones I've seen all look ridiculous, not sexual.
What are they wearing that exposes kids more than what's on TV, in the shops or just walking around the city with guardians?

No. Because it's "skimpy".

If they wore the following, minus the guns. Would you have a problem?
View attachment 805497

Not sure what you're talking about. But sorry if I've offended you.

1/Drag queens are not sexually dressed, really? You do realize they fantasize about looking like sexually attractive females right? C'mon cm you're smarter than this.

2/ 'No because it's skimpy' that's flimsy mate, kids don't realize about sexuality. Sure you'll come back with 'what's the problem then?' then I'll come back with 'why not have superman read to them?''why does it have to be drag queens?' Your answer might be 'because we want to include them in society' ok that's fine but we don't need to have drag queens reading to kids to feel included in society do we.

3/ I have an issue with that garb because to an adult it's intent is sexual, regardless that kids wouldn't know is not the issue is it. It's the un necessity that's the issue.

4/ You know I don't take offence cm, just thought your previous comment about strippers actually stripping in front of kids was an obvious no no but you asked the question in sarcasm anyway. I know you're intellectually intelligent mate so no need to waste your keystrokes on drivel like that.

If we're talking about discussion of sexual acts or any of that stuff, no it doesn't. That has no place in this program and Im sure it doesn't.

I interpret that as presenting role models who don't got in the traditional gender or relationship mould. Kids learn about this everyday anyway. They see their teacher's partner at the school play, they see traditional familes at parent interviews. I don't see a problem with them seeing these drag queens.

If parents weren't comfortable, Im sure the school would allow them to not let their kids go, which is their right.
You are interpreting it to what suits your argument. It's not true. This program exists for express purpose of subverting gender roles and sexualities in preschoolers and toddlers. The fact that it avoids explicit discussion of sexual acts is neither here nor there - first because children that young wouldn't understand, and second (and most importantly), explicit discussion of such acts in front of small children would see them chased out of town (this still has not prevented some flashing toddlers or mock stripping at these events). Subverting means being subversive - you have to fly under the radar for it to work.

But let's not pretend it's "just dress ups". Don't lie to me.

Last edited:
1/Drag queens are not sexually dressed, really? You do realize they fantasize about looking like sexually attractive females right? C'mon cm you're smarter than this.

Do they? Where are you getting this from? The most famous drag queen is probably Ru Paul, who says he doesn't dress to look like a woman, he dresses to look like a drag queen. Many call themselves drag artists.

Why are you adding the word 'sexually' into your opinion to change the whole context? Perhaps you have done some research and interviewed a lot of drag queens to find out why they do it. I'd love to see your findings.

You are interpreting it to what suits your argument. It's not true. This program exists for express purpose of subverting gender roles and sexualities in preschoolers and toddlers. The fact that it avoids explicit discussion of sexual acts is neither here nor there - first because children that young wouldn't understand, and second (and most importantly), explicit discussion of such acts in front of small children would see them chased out of town (this still has not prevented some flashing toddlers or mock stripping at these events). Subverting means being subversive - you have to fly under the radar for it to work.

But let's not pretend it's "just dress ups". Don't lie to me.

Subverting gender roles is an interesting take. Established gender roles ... yes. They are based on whether you have a penis or a vagina. They seem quite shallow to me.

I have an old friend, as in someone I used to hang around with many many years ago, but only converse with on Facebook now. Her youngest son has always appeared to prefer female activities and dressing up. Never into traditional boy's toys and roughhousing etc. The child seemed to struggle in a lot of aspects of life and school and general happiness. A couple of years back, they made the mental transition to the child being known as female, at the child's request. Fortunately the name was not exclusively a male one so they avoided that issue. Medical professionals were consulted, the school was consulted and the transition has been quite easy. This transition being done earlier in their school life, when classmates are not aware of these things being outside established gender roles, means SHE has avoided the pre-conceived ideas and parental teachings before the classmates lose their innocence.

Have other kids in their classes come out after this and decided they wanted a gender change? No. That's not the way it works.

This child is now blossoming. I don't know what the plans are going forward as far as hormones and surgery, but for now we have a child who feels right in their head. Penis vs chromosomes huh ... which ones determine sexuality really?

Meanwhile I have a female child in grade 2 this year. For a long time, she wanted to be a boy according to her. She is most definitely a tom boy activity wise. Balls, toy cars, skateboards, gaming and thinks she is gangster. Her mother and I have divorced and we co-parent 50/50. My daughter is most definitely more comfortable at my place because I let her dress however she wants. Her mother meanwhile says she gave birth to a girl and screams at her until she puts on a dress. What's the healthier parenting decision? I do think my daughter will remain a girl, but I was honestly unsure for a long time and had to challenge myself to be open-minded because her feelings matter more than mine.

We get it Carringbush, you’ve got the hots for drag queens and feel a bit weird about it. It’s cool though!

I was just looking this up and it is a real thing. People attracted to drag queens specifically and confused by it.

RuPaul’s Drag Race is free for anyone to throw on on Netflix to see the full range of outfit designs worn by drag queens. To say it’s all sexualised is a tad ignorant, and certainly not comparable to a stripper or what have you. Of course they want to “look attractive”, but then most of us do at various points - would you bar someone dressed nicely planning on going to a date after the child minding from being with their kids because they’re trying to look attractive? Don’t be absurd.

As for the death of this young fellow, it’s very sad and a tragic waste of life. Suicide rates are substantially higher amongst LGBT people than the rest of the community, and here we see another example of it. Conservatives love promoting their token anti-gay rights gays because they further their own agenda, but these causes are just stoking the insecurities of queer people including, deep down, these erstwhile allies.

It reinforces why programs such as this are positive, and can reinforce and assist people who might see themselves as different. It’s a shame this troubled fellow rejected that rather than embraced it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It reinforces why programs such as this are positive, and can reinforce and assist people who might see themselves as different. It’s a shame this troubled fellow rejected that rather than embraced it.
Again, it's strange how these programs are both opaque to children, having zero meaning beyond dress ups, and are positive and assist children. Either they have intent and achieve what they set out to do, or they don't.

You can't have it both ways.

Again, it's strange how these programs are both opaque to children, having zero meaning beyond dress ups, and are positive and assist children. Either they have intent and achieve what they set out to do, or they don't.

You can't have it both ways.
Why not? (ignoring other arguments ITT)

Some children will view it solely as weird adults in dress-ups. Some children will actively use it as a tool to develop their own understanding of empathy, compassion, inclusiveness etc. Don't underestimate the acuity of 4-5yos.

There’s been cases in the US where drag queens at these events have flashed children, put on a mock strip show, or had convicted child sex offenders among them, but using the heuristic that someone who dresses like that has a higher likelihood of being a wrong’un is bad apparently.
Could say exactly the same thing about the Catholic Church.

RuPaul’s Drag Race is free for anyone to throw on on Netflix to see the full range of outfit designs worn by drag queens. To say it’s all sexualised is a tad ignorant, and certainly not comparable to a stripper or what have you. Of course they want to “look attractive”, but then most of us do at various points - would you bar someone dressed nicely planning on going to a date after the child minding from being with their kids because they’re trying to look attractive? Don’t be absurd.

As for the death of this young fellow, it’s very sad and a tragic waste of life. Suicide rates are substantially higher amongst LGBT people than the rest of the community, and here we see another example of it. Conservatives love promoting their token anti-gay rights gays because they further their own agenda, but these causes are just stoking the insecurities of queer people including, deep down, these erstwhile allies.

Watched this with my sister for the first time on the weekend. Was pretty entertaining.

There’s been cases in the US where drag queens at these events have flashed children, put on a mock strip show, or had convicted child sex offenders among them, but using the heuristic that someone who dresses like that has a higher likelihood of being a wrong’un is bad apparently.

There is no slippery slope from being a drag queen to being a pedophile FFS. Completely ignorant view.

Some of the cases you speak of were bullshit. Blacked out portions of photos that turned out to be tights.

One in Houston was true.

We see pedophile teachers, clergy, politicians, lawyers, judges, doctors, cops, soldiers. Pedophilia doesn't discriminate by occupation or extravagant behaviour.

My thoughts on this

Sad and tragic what happened to the leader, condolences to his friends and family

However, I do not condone their actions, their actions gatecrashing on the library and making people feel uncomfortable would be comparable from my POV to militant vegans gatecrashing restaurants etc. Sure you can believe in the cause, but interrupting/intruding on people at their workplace/leisure/hobby/property etc is not on.

I also feel more s**t community scenarios/incidents like this will happen with the impending religious discrimination bill.

Why not? (ignoring other arguments ITT)

Some children will view it solely as weird adults in dress-ups. Some children will actively use it as a tool to develop their own understanding of empathy, compassion, inclusiveness etc. Don't underestimate the acuity of 4-5yos.
“Kids are smarter than you think” trope is bullshit.

Why do we need to invent new creepy institutions to indoctrinate kids to replace the old ones?
Yeah, cause dudes wearing a costume and reading to kids while their parents are there is terrifying.

Get a grip.

Man I grew up watching Danny La Rue.

No-one seemed to give a crap at the time, other than to have a bit of a laugh. So it's hardly new for kids to be entertained by drag queens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back