Dragging the Ball In

Remove this Banner Ad

Masher

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
What is a player supposed to do if he is on the ground but first to the ball and surrounded by two opposition players. If he holds it in then free kick if he releases it then opposition gets it

Once the first player to get the ball is rewarded but now being first could penalise you.

If you're first to the ball and have the numbers on your side then you get it to your teammate.
If the opposition have the numbers then they will most likely win the contest whether you're first to the ball or not.

If someone drags the ball in, that player is wanting to get there to stop the play. That is not the same as being first to the ball to play the ball.

They don't want to see players holding up play.

There was a period of last season where the umpires were penalizing players for dragging the ball in or even picking up the ball and not being able to get rid of it. I thought that it was a great idea coz that is what they chose to do with their prior opportunity, when they could have tapped it onto a teammate that was free. Did anyone notice that in the GF when the ball was in congestion and neither WCE or the Pies were willing to pick up the ball and opted to just tap it to a team mate.<-it's that adaption to the changing game that made them get as far as they did imo!

I would be content if there could be consistency in the application of the rules. I think for many that would be the biggest gripe, not paying the obvious decisions and paying the ones that werent there.

A player dragging the ball in is the natural enemy of a free flowing game and the spirit of the game to "keep the ball in motion".

No skill in dragging it under him / her - I could do that. Sole intention is to "kill" the ball and it's movement.

Need to penalise if they don't release, no sympathy here.

What is a player supposed to do if he is on the ground but first to the ball
Stay on his feet. If you are on your feet or don't dive on the ball when you take possession then if you are tackled you won't be done for HTB.

Once the first player to get the ball is rewarded but now being first could penalise you.
I had to check the date of this post because this makes it sound like this is a new rule when it has been in force for several years.

It's a good rule too and stops teams from creating stoppage after stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back