Autopsy Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

The way we were outplayed between the first 10 mins and the last 10 mins of the game was pretty flattening, the gameplan looked impotent and it looked like another Friday night that we failed to meet the occasion.

Given how lost that game was looking, coming up with 2 points is nice and the comeback was awesome. I’m just gonna take that as the main takeaway from the game cos I feel better about the result than I feel flat about the way we played.

Hopefully we can stay in touch after next week, refresh at the bye and really launch in the second half of the year with no more Friday nights or 5 day breaks

Hypothetical, if extra time was available last night to decide the match would we have all taken it?

Honestly? I would have. We had all the run and momentum and I fully believe with another 2 minutes we would have won that game.

But, I am fully in support of the draw with no extra time except in finals.

Well that's not the worst result in the world, more importantly we actually provided some form of entertainment on a Friday night and the AFL may even permit us to have another Friday night blockbuster one day!

Sharp and Banfield were in so many key plays in that final quarter, without Banners we lose that match by a few goals - he's really made this year his own.

We have so many issues though - how can it be acceptable to go nearly an entire half without kicking a goal? We are going nowhere until we get more regular contributors. Amiss will come good but he's got a bit to work on.

As everyone has said, Emmett and Walters need a spell - perhaps even Fyfe could do with a rest. I just don't see it happening though the coach would take this game as a win and he rarely makes changes when that happens.

I'm glad for the draw personally, it shifts the mindset a bit - the comp is so tight this year and we are beating no one with our percentage. Allows us to focus on just getting the 4 points at any cost.

Really hoping for a solid Peel game today to put some pressure on spots.
I don’t know, Justin seemed pretty disappointed with the performance in his presser. Even said we stole 2 points. Particularly scathing in his assessment of third quarter being played entirely in the Pies forward half.

They were giving Justin a hard time on the radio this morning relation to his defence of Amiss. I didn’t get that impression. He said he needs to get to work and practice through repetition. There were some questions I couldn’t hear regarding Amiss and he said twice “I’ll have to have chat to him about that”.

What Amiss needs to do better aside from lacking momentum when kicking for set-shot, is making more of a contest for the smaller forwards. I was impressed with Swita’s game last night. He was a spark when moved into the centre for the last 10mins.

Delean and Simpson are no where near it. It’s as simple as that. Once they start to put some consistent form together in the WAFL then they can be considered. But at this point they would offer less than Emmett and Walters and that says a lot.

I’d like some goals myself.

Opposition don’t want Walters getting any space because he is lethal kicking into the f50. If our other small forwards were worth anything it would be a lot more useful

Not anymore he isn’t

Walters might be handy back-up if he could handle that. I imagine he could. He is very Freo/team orientated. Our problem seems to be that the rest of our forward line isn't good enough to give him a manageable match-up at this point of his career.

Might be symptomatic of the most insanely negative member of the supporter base I've ever encountered taking up temporary residency in my block (praying to god that she's a temporary member resell and not a permanent addition), but I came away from that feeling somewhat more positive than negative.

A bad quarter and a bit of footy shouldn't detract from the positive way we played early on and the fight in the final 10. We got kidney punched by Yeo and Reid in the Derby and folded completely a month ago, the fightback here shouldn't be discounted.

+ve
  • Collingwood are possibly the best two minute drill side in the comp, and we came very close to beating them at their own game.

Ps what was that crap about collingwood playing a bunch of rookies and how under manned they were. Sorry did they not have a guy who has played 393 games and another who has played 318 games in their midfield last night ?

Haven’t seen the stats but I wouldnt be surprised if we had less experience and were younger.

I'm happy for Johnson to keep having a go at breaking tackles - he's broken the 6th most this year across the entire afl. Once he gets a bit stronger he'll be so hard to tackle and it will be a weapon for us
Half the time or 3/4's of the time it simply isn't necessary.

Chapman was superb. That’s one real positive the last couple of weeks.

We have a Jackson/Darcy problem now though and it’s starting to become apparent.
Jackson is a shadow of the player he usually is when Darcy is on the field.
I’m not willing to call the combo a failure overall just yet, but I’m 70% there.

Nobody can argue that Jackson is the same player when Darcy plays.

The issue is that Jackson is a bottom 10 role player each time Darcy plays.
And then he is in the coaches votes when Darcy doesn’t play. It’s an inefficient use of the limited capital we can use on elite talent. For it to work Jackson has to become a decent consistent key forward. How likely is that to happen?

Half the time or 3/4's of the time it simply isn't necessary.

Agreed. The first holding the ball in the first quarter for some reason he tried taking on the tackler when he had an easy kick to Amiss all on his own 30m away in the pocket. There is a time for taking it on and others where keeping it simple is best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ps what was that crap about collingwood playing a bunch of rookies and how under manned they were. Sorry did they not have a guy who has played 393 games and another who has played 318 games in their midfield last night ?

Haven’t seen the stats but I wouldnt be surprised if we had less experience and were younger.

Yep - as ordinary as we were in the third, it's a midfield with the Brownlow favourite, two guaranteed post-retirement hall of famers and a pretty solid operator in Crisp. They were always going to fight their way back into it.

We have a Jackson/Darcy problem now though and it’s starting to become apparent.
I’m not willing to call the combo a failure overall just yet, but I’m 70% there.

And then he is in the coaches votes when Darcy doesn’t play. It’s an inefficient use of the limited capital we can use on elite talent. For it to work Jackson has to become a decent consistent key forward. How likely is that to happen?

Jackson looks heavy to me, lost some mobility.

Having said that were yet to try him as a midfielder.

I think Darcy and Jackson are both in isolation a problem based on their own form.

Jackson has been unclean at ground level, although a bit better yesterday; hasn't been taking the marks around the ground that we need and his decision making is haphazard. He completely changes games when he's on.

Then Darcy hasn't been great all year. Clearly, clearly underdone. I'm not going to beat the Darcy horse as much as I already have.

right on both fronts and comfortably

We don't have a Darcy/Jackson problem.

Darcy is a better ruckman as he also impedes the opposition ruck and just needs to get his fitness/form back. It's Jackson's task to perform around the ground, not the fault of Darcy.

I dunno, Jackson played 40% ruck, so had plenty of opportunity to impact.
The whole season he's struggled with consistency, I think it's incorrect to connect Jackson's impact to Darcy being in the team.
IMO it's more related to match ups and his preparation/energy levels. Last week he went into the game off an 8 day break and played like he was full of energy. Off the short breaks he appears to be sluggish.

Will be interesting to see what Jackson's impact is next week off a 9 day break.

That backline is actually ******* incredible. I wouldn't swap ours for any in the league and watching them play football gives me a funny feeling in my pants. Chappy back and Walker turning into his best self has just elevated them to a new level

If the umpire sees the ball deviate a mile against the Blues we'd be sitting 2nd on the ladder. Get Cox back in for Draper after the bye and we stay fit anything is possible this year.

Our greatest strength this year has been our midfield and our clearance domination, Collingwood did very well to account for this by pushing HHF’a and backs up to the contest to create what were very very congested contests that didn’t let our midfield go to work. Combined with a lot of fumbles in what looked like slippery conditions, that took our one wood away from us. We didn’t seem to have a plan b until the last 7-8 minutes when we started moving the ball quickly and minimising contests. If our midfield is beaten or subdued we don’t have a way of winning at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Delean is just barely scrapping by v mature agers in state league. The next step up would be incredibly daunting. He’s not close to AFL level, probably not this season.

It was sad seeing Schulz struggle all game. He just doesn’t gel with Collingwood. He would be perfect for us atm. But what can you do.

JL scoffed when Barich asked at the presser a couple of weeks ago if Delean is close to getting a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back