List Mgmt. Drawing Parallels and our Key Forward Conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thread. It's a pretty short/average list of KPF prospects when you consider we won't have much draft capital if both the Taranto and Hopper trades come off:

Joel Amarty
Hayden McLean
Josh Treacy
Jack Williams
Oliver Henry
Tom DeKoning
Jacob Koschitzke
Sam Weideman

Feel free to add more...

Jeez you start scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty quickly.

Samson Ryan looks a likely prospect but as with CCJ is he more of a Ruck Fwd than a genuine stay at home KPF ? Bauer looks good but he's only 191cm. Does that cut it unless you're a Jack Gunston ?

We tried Noah Balta forward and I could see the logic in it. If that came off we wouldn't be having this conversation in all likelihood. Too good to be true perhaps. He's so much better behind the ball.

One solution could be to give Josh Gibcus games there. He's very good in the air (with confidence) and seems to be a good set shot. Could we do an Aaron Naughton with him ?

Also what happens with Bigoa Nguon ? Is he a KPD, a Ruck ? Would be replace Grimes in a few years if Gibcus plays forward ?

Lots of questions.

No solutions yet.

Esava Ratugolea.

24 yoa.
198cm.
105kg.

Ideally miller can take it to another level, he's already shown a bit.

Maybe miller. Bauer. Ryan. Nyuon. Will be enough?

Ideally, Lynch wouldhang around long term.
like Franklin has done at the swans , to give some stability. Even if not the main focus

Esava Ratugolea.

24 yoa.
198cm.
105kg.

Ideally miller can take it to another level, he's already shown a bit.

Maybe miller. Bauer. Ryan. Nyuon. Will be enough.

Need lynch to hang around like Franklin has done to give some stability
Esava has everything apart from a reliable kick which is why I leaned toward Amartey.
Ultimately, whoever it is needs to be cheap if we wanted to try and snag them this year.
Im not sure if its worth the risk to go into next season with a reliance on Ryan/Bauer in the event that Jack gets injured.

Esava has everything apart from a reliable kick which is why I leaned toward Amartey.
Ultimately, whoever it is needs to be cheap if we wanted to try and snag them this year.
Im not sure if its worth the risk to go into next season with a reliance on Ryan/Bauer in the event that Jack gets injured.

Good call. Sounds like a decent prospect and might want to return to Melbourne.

Maybe Ryan gets the job if Richmond don't bring anyone in.

Good call. Sounds like a decent prospect and might want to return to Melbourne.

Maybe Ryan gets the job if Richmond don't bring anyone in.
Don't count the Critter out, has shown plenty in my books. Much prefer we give Ryan first dibs at a forward spot than bring in ratatouille who's hit his ceiling.

As I was sitting on the toilet, pondering life's great mysteries, my thoughts started to shift toward our current list and its needs.

In 2016, we pulled off three of probably the most important trades of our clubs recent history.
Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy and Toby Nankervis, all three premiership players, the latter, a current co-captain.
Each of these players filled a significant list need at the time.
Prestia being the high quality contested extractor.
Caddy being the inside bull that wasn't a prolific ball winner, but his presence in the contest helped enable the ones around him. Who also had the ability to play as a medium sized CHF.
Nankervis, the no nonsense ruckman with the heart of a lion, who hits like a truck.

We are now six years later, and when I think about our two pending arrivals being Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, I can't help but draw some parallels to our 2016 off season.
Taranto the high quality midfielder who runs hard defensively and can be a danger in the forward line.
Hopper being another inside bull that will likely be our next extractor who will work in tandem with Prestia whilst also taking some reliance off of him.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this, but it's no grand revelation to say that we need a developing key forward who will eventually replace Jack Riewoldt.
The brilliance of the Nankervis trade was that we identified a player that was starved of opportunity at another club due to being third in line through no fault of their own.
Nankervis cost us essentially nothing and was probably our best trade.

So, who is a talented key position forward that is currently starved of opportunity that may turn out to be a very good player if afforded the opportunity?
I wouldn't be surprised if not many of you would be aware of this player, but coincidentally, they are also at the Sydney Swans and has only been given a handful of opportunities... Sound familiar?
The player I am referring to is Joel Amartey.
He is currently 23 years of age, standing at a height of 197cm and looked a very likely type when he broke into the Swans line up earlier this year.
He may be the long term Buddy replacement, but would be the perfect counterpart to Tom Lynch.
I am not sure what his trade value would be, but I think he would be relatively cheap salary wise and would likely attract a high second rounder.

It would be a very shrewd move and I'm hoping to get the discussion started and to will this into existence.
Need more fibre in your diet

So the journo in WA ran with the Logue idea to add meat to the story...

Wait for the melb journo's to run Esava in their stories for the lols

Good thread. It's a pretty short/average list of KPF prospects when you consider we won't have much draft capital if both the Taranto and Hopper trades come off:

Joel Amarty
Hayden McLean
Josh Treacy
Jack Williams
Oliver Henry
Tom DeKoning
Jacob Koschitzke
Sam Weideman

Feel free to add more...

Jeez you start scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty quickly.

Samson Ryan looks a likely prospect but as with CCJ is he more of a Ruck Fwd than a genuine stay at home KPF ? Bauer looks good but he's only 191cm. Does that cut it unless you're a Jack Gunston ?

We tried Noah Balta forward and I could see the logic in it. If that came off we wouldn't be having this conversation in all likelihood. Too good to be true perhaps. He's so much better behind the ball.

One solution could be to give Josh Gibcus games there. He's very good in the air (with confidence) and seems to be a good set shot. Could we do an Aaron Naughton with him ?

Also what happens with Bigoa Nguon ? Is he a KPD, a Ruck ? Would be replace Grimes in a few years if Gibcus plays forward ?

Lots of questions.

No solutions yet.
I like the Tom De Koning call. Is he gettable?

Hayden McLean

I think he’d be a solid pickup, not saying he’ll be the next JR, but showed a bit at AFL level when Budster was injured. Very good contested mark, not overly athletic but hits packs and makes a contest

Would allow Tom to play deep. And a genuine kpf (rather than a swingman) is a list requirement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my contact at the club (which correctly picked the Taranto and Hopper news ahead of the media) said that they think we can work around Jack retiring with the many options we have (Miller, Gibcus, Balta, Ryan, etc). Said that one of them will come on and that they are heavily into the King brothers as a Lynch replacement 🤠. AFL are also not happy with us pillaging Taranto and Hopper but we have been building some serious dirt on some key people there so thinks that we will be right next year re umpiring influence. Don’t be fooled by the public image we portray as internally the club is fuming with the umpiring the last two years.

Joel Amartey for me. Vic boy, wouldn't cost a lot. Made the VFL team of the year this year averaging 3.0 goals, 6.8 marks, 15.1 disposal and a 4.1 hit-outs through 12 VFL games.
Yeah this is the stat line that essentially reinforces why I think he would be the perfect budget pick up that could turn out to be another Nank master-stroke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back