Opinion Draws, do we want them?

Draws, do we want them?

• Don't change a thing

Votes: 184 92.0%
  • Play extra time

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Delay the siren until the next score (i.e. golden goal / point)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Penalty shootout concept

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we need to change it? it doesn’t happen very often and a draw is a result with points shared. Getting a little sick and tired with this argument every time a draw happens. The AFL have come out and said they ain’t even considering changing it so bloody well stop the discussion.

I'm convinced the push for extra time is being largely driven by the media.

The overwhelming majority of supporters accept that draws are a rare feature of the sport.

I laugh when someone says "we want a result" so extra time is required. Last time I checked, a draw is a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with a draw. Without it you might as well just give 1 point for a victory as 4 point model is useless.

Plus it adds genuine drama to the season. A draw can legitimately be the difference between a finals berth and just missing out.
Now that you brought it up, why don't we just have a 2 point model with draws though?

Every time it's the same thing, neutral fans love the draw and overwhelmingly want to keep it.

But the commentators and media heads on TV and radio are always going "deeerrrrr a draw? Why no extra time? So confoosing, nobody knows what to do!?!"
Even though everyone in the crowd knows exactly what a draw means, but it just seems to be too much for these media people to comprehend.

leave it alone soul food GIF by WE tv

The only reason I can see for getting rid of a draw, is if you were get something like a North Melbourne v West Coast final round "Pick One" Cup situation.

Loser gets Pick One.
Game ends in a draw.
Play extra time, and watch 2 teams trying to lose.
How much fun, seriously.?

I'm convinced the push for extra time is being largely driven by the media.

The overwhelming majority of supporters accept that draws are a rare feature of the sport.

I laugh when someone says "we want a result" so extra time is required. Last time I checked, a draw is a result.

Everything is media driven
Every change to the game over the past 30 years has been media driven. The media cry over and over, and it slowly seeps into the psyche of the average fan that it's needed.

Even now you hear fans championing how good the 6-6-6 is, despite centre break goals being as low as ever

Back