Dream best 11 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the 2022/23 summer and Australia is undisputably number 1 in the world in test cricket again thanks to CA recognising your incredible talent at picking test stars from your armchair.

What is your dreamteam come the 22/23 summer

Marcus Harris (30 y/o): Hasnt looked back since the disastrous Indian tour of Aus when he looked like the only bloke who had held a cricket bat before. In his prime and slaughtering attacks around the world

Matt Renshaw (26 y/o): Makes his name in the 2019 Ashes tour where the only thing he does more than playing and missing is pile on 100's. Has formed a partnership with Harris to rival Hayden/Langer

Will Pucovski (24 y/o): After Bradman and Voges, the battle for third best bat to don the green is toughly fought between Smith Ponting and by the looks ofnhis career trajectory, Pucovski. Has gone from strength to strength after a debut ton peteres out to a mid 30's average for a year and half. Has since settled in and piled on over 1000 runs in the 2021 calender year. Set to be an all time great

Steve Smith (33 y/o): After a middling return in the 19 Ashes of just three 50's (still our best bat for the series), it seemed the Smith of old was no more. Enter the Gabbatoir and the first test of the Aussie summer. Entering the ground to thunderous applause the likes hadnt been seen since that streaker got decked by Roy, he piled on a double ton and is now again the undisputed best batsmen in the world.

Cam Bancroft (30 y/o): After returning to the shield and a bout of runs so heavy it would make the morning after a night of vindaloo look like constipation he couldnt not be picked. But with the dominance of Harris and Renshaw, he was told to make 5 his own and Banners always does what he's told.

Jason Sangha (23 y/o): With 3 years of placing top 5 in Shield and County runs and given time to properly develop form and confidence, the time was right for the 21/22 summer to mark the arrival of the "Sandwhich." With his handy leggies, rock-solid defense and classy wrists, Sandwhich locked in the number 6 with a debut series better than Clarkes.

Alex Carey (31y/o): After dominating the short forms for 2 more years, Carey was ripe to replace the giant shoes of Australia's best ever full time keeper/batsmen/captain. With memories of the age Gilchrist, teams shudder to see 5/380 and watching Carey walk out to blast 100's on tiring attacks.

Pat Cummins (29 y/o): Imagine getting Gilchrist out only to see Keith Miller walk in at 8. Australias greatest all-rounder averages the good kind of 25 and 35 and in combination with Carey already boasts the two highest ever Aus partnerships for the 7th wicket.

Jhye Richardson (26 y/o): Bat deep TM has been given new meaning with Richo at 9 and Cummins at 8. Able to swing it both ways at pace and without spraying it down the leg twice an over, the decision to permanently "rest" Starc in limited overs format is finally agreed upon in 2021 following Richo's 50 n/o and 6/32 on debut (only one innings needed).

Cameron Green (23 y/o): Not since McGrath has 130km/h looked so scary. Line, length, nibble and the top of off is all Green needs to rip out top orders. Replaces Hazlewood in 2021 having never recovered the form pre-Newlands.

Nathan Lyon (35 y/o): GOAT

Tidy OP, who captain's that side out of interest?
Fair question

I know everyone wants Cummins but it just seems to much pressure for me since in a more realistic scenario, he will probably continue to shoulder a pretty heavy workload over the coming years and adding the captaincy to that would be a massive strain.

Dont think Renshaw or Bancroft are leaders, you rule out bowlers per the general rule and at this stage it would seem a bit silly to put that extra pressure on Pucovski. With Sangha obviously too new, it would have to be between Harris and Smith...

Reasonable side. A few unreasonable expectations (Cummins ain’t ever averaging 35 with the bat) but overall not amazingly unrealistic
Would be the dream though...:)

Write-ups are a bit of a joke. For what its worth, i think Cummins could possibly get to a 25/25 average which would just be incredible.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Would be the dream though...:)

Write-ups are a bit of a joke. For what its worth, i think Cummins could possibly get to a 25/25 average which would just be incredible.

Yeah I agree.

Would be interesting to postulate about where a lot of current sides will be at that stage. Most of india’s should still be around, most of NZ’s though Taylor, Watling and Southee would be right at the end if they’re going at all. SA’s will look a lot different. No Steyn, no Philander, no Du Plessis, no Amla

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dream scenario would be something like:

1. Weatherald
2. Renshaw
3. Pucovski
4. Smith
5. Sutherland
6. Sangha
7. Inglis
8. Cummins
9. Richardson
10. Green
11. Pope

Reality has this unpleasant way of getting in the way of fantasy though.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Its the 2022/23 summer and Australia is undisputably number 1 in the world in test cricket again thanks to CA recognising your incredible talent at picking test stars from your armchair.

What is your dreamteam come the 22/23 summer

Marcus Harris (30 y/o): Hasnt looked back since the disastrous Indian tour of Aus when he looked like the only bloke who had held a cricket bat before. In his prime and slaughtering attacks around the world

Matt Renshaw (26 y/o): Makes his name in the 2019 Ashes tour where the only thing he does more than playing and missing is pile on 100's. Has formed a partnership with Harris to rival Hayden/Langer

Will Pucovski (24 y/o): After Bradman and Voges, the battle for third best bat to don the green is toughly fought between Smith Ponting and by the looks ofnhis career trajectory, Pucovski. Has gone from strength to strength after a debut ton peteres out to a mid 30's average for a year and half. Has since settled in and piled on over 1000 runs in the 2021 calender year. Set to be an all time great

Steve Smith (33 y/o): After a middling return in the 19 Ashes of just three 50's (still our best bat for the series), it seemed the Smith of old was no more. Enter the Gabbatoir and the first test of the Aussie summer. Entering the ground to thunderous applause the likes hadnt been seen since that streaker got decked by Roy, he piled on a double ton and is now again the undisputed best batsmen in the world.

Cam Bancroft (30 y/o): After returning to the shield and a bout of runs so heavy it would make the morning after a night of vindaloo look like constipation he couldnt not be picked. But with the dominance of Harris and Renshaw, he was told to make 5 his own and Banners always does what he's told.

Jason Sangha (23 y/o): With 3 years of placing top 5 in Shield and County runs and given time to properly develop form and confidence, the time was right for the 21/22 summer to mark the arrival of the "Sandwhich." With his handy leggies, rock-solid defense and classy wrists, Sandwhich locked in the number 6 with a debut series better than Clarkes.

Alex Carey (31y/o): After dominating the short forms for 2 more years, Carey was ripe to replace the giant shoes of Australia's best ever full time keeper/batsmen/captain. With memories of the age Gilchrist, teams shudder to see 5/380 and watching Carey walk out to blast 100's on tiring attacks.

Pat Cummins (29 y/o): Imagine getting Gilchrist out only to see Keith Miller walk in at 8. Australias greatest all-rounder averages the good kind of 25 and 35 and in combination with Carey already boasts the two highest ever Aus partnerships for the 7th wicket.

Jhye Richardson (26 y/o): Bat deep TM has been given new meaning with Richo at 9 and Cummins at 8. Able to swing it both ways at pace and without spraying it down the leg twice an over, the decision to permanently "rest" Starc in limited overs format is finally agreed upon in 2021 following Richo's 50 n/o and 6/32 on debut (only one innings needed).

Cameron Green (23 y/o): Not since McGrath has 130km/h looked so scary. Line, length, nibble and the top of off is all Green needs to rip out top orders. Replaces Hazlewood in 2021 having never recovered the form pre-Newlands.

Nathan Lyon (35 y/o): GOAT

good work - won't happen, but great effort.

you could've give GOAT some notes such as - breaks mcgraths test wicket record of 563 :)

Yeah I agree.

Would be interesting to postulate about where a lot of current sides will be at that stage. Most of india’s should still be around, most of NZ’s though Taylor, Watling and Southee would be right at the end if they’re going at all. SA’s will look a lot different. No Steyn, no Philander, no Du Plessis, no Amla
Whether its a case of a kind of post draft optimism and shiny new things, im pretty excited about our medium to long term prospects in both batting and bowling.

Renshaw, Sangha and Pucovski look like special talemts if (big if) managed correctly that could carry a side for a decade. Phillipes, Short, Lambshanks and Edwards have also shown a bit at really young ages and Smith has lots of years left in him.

I wish I knew more about other domestic comps to think about where they would be in a few years. India could honestly get to be unstoppable with their population size, the wealth of the BCCI and the development of the elite pathways

Marcus Harris
Matthew Renshaw
Will Pucovski
Steve Smith (c)
Kurtis Patterson
Jason Sangha
Alex Carey (+)
Patrick Cummins
Jhye Richardson
Joel Paris
Nathan Lyon

And just for fun, a second XI:

Cameron Bancroft
Jake Weatherald
Hilton Cartwright
Jake Lehmann
Ashton Turner
Jack Edwards
Josh Inglis (+)
Will Sutherland
James Pattinson
Mitchell Swepson
Jason Behrendorff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Harris, Bancroft, Renshaw, and Labuschagne will all make it. Obviously what constitutes 'make it' will differ between many but I think they can all be test level players. Head I still have faith in, although his stats are somewhat disappointing in that there hasn't been a massive increase in the past couple of seasons with more games under his cap. Head and Patterson are two guys I consider who have enough tools to be test quality but will never be the leading batsman in the side, sort of the Khawaja level (not Smith/Warner, but capable of providing that 2nd tier option).

Smith should still be around.

Sangha, Edwards, Pucovski, Philippe will hopefully be on the cusp.

Can't see our bowling stocks changing drastically.

Carey seems the obvious keeper choice.

Harris
Renshaw/Bancroft
Labuschagne
Smith (C)
Head
Patterson
Carey (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Sangha, Edwards, Pucovski, Philippe next in line as batsmen
MMarsh and Stoinis picked on suitable grounds
Behrendorff, Tremain the next bowlers. Doggett, Meredith and Moody all should be pushing for the spots too based on our selectors appreciation for raw pace - if they can continue to develop their games they will be right up there in contention.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think Harris will be in it for the long haul. Might put together a tidy year or two, but he's still prone to those lapses in judgment that I think will prevent him from being a mainstay. Reckon Warner, Renshaw and Bancroft are all more likely to make it.

Also, surely Carey would be captain. Definitely not Smith.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My 11:

Harris: Looked really compact just like Justin Langer but has the shots and looks of David Warner. Hopefully he could be David Warner 2.0 except with a tighter more compact technique.

Renshaw: Reminds me a lot of Cook from England. He is an old style test player who blunts the new ball and bowlers and cashes in when they tire. I said this before he debuted but l think he will be an Australian great by the time he finishes his career.

Pucovski: Think it is awesome the selectors have Brought him in. Averaging 49 in the Sheffield shield and at only 19 years old. If they are good enough then it doesn't matter how old they are, just like India have done with Shaw. Could be our best since Ponting and that includes better than Smith.

Smith: Will definitely be in our team provided he keeps scoring runs. Will be our captain, might not be the absolute dominant scoring run machine he was but still probably average 45-50. Still a gun.

Sangha: Don't know if it is too early for him, however it is still 3 years away. Hope he doesn't do a Doran where he gets all the accolades as a young guy to be the next Hussey and then realises how difficult it is. However, Sangha has already got several FC centuries so doesn't look like it. Very silky, provides handy leg spin option which is huge.

Sutherland/Edwards: Wasn't too sure with this one, something else might pop up, but both of these guys are good. Sutherland is an allrounder while Edwards is more of a pure batter. More inclined to go with the pure batter as we already have a spinning option.

Carey: Looks a good option, good keeper and good batter who can take attacks apart.

Cummins: Looks like a fantastic bowling allrounder. Would like to see him tear teams apart in the 1st innings but he will only get better.

Richardson: Quick, skiddy, always seems to get wickets, handy contributor with the bat and good in the field.

Lyon: Still the Goat, keeps getting better. Could debut Pope sometime.

Hazlewood: Don't really know much about the young bowlers around the area, but we still need a few guys who are experienced. Hazlewood is going to be really good, going through a bit of a slump at the moment but he bowls a lot like Pidgeon. Would have been good to put a left armer in there somewhere. I also think it would have been good to put a slower bowler but one who properly swings it which would help in English conditions. Someone like a Chad Sayers (who would be good in the 2019 Ashes) but l reckon he would be too old by 2022

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Harris, Bancroft, Renshaw, and Labuschagne will all make it. Obviously what constitutes 'make it' will differ between many but I think they can all be test level players. Head I still have faith in, although his stats are somewhat disappointing in that there hasn't been a massive increase in the past couple of seasons with more games under his cap. Head and Patterson are two guys I consider who have enough tools to be test quality but will never be the leading batsman in the side, sort of the Khawaja level (not Smith/Warner, but capable of providing that 2nd tier option).

Smith should still be around.

Sangha, Edwards, Pucovski, Philippe will hopefully be on the cusp.

Can't see our bowling stocks changing drastically.

Carey seems the obvious keeper choice.

Harris
Renshaw/Bancroft
Labuschagne
Smith (C)
Head
Patterson
Carey (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Sangha, Edwards, Pucovski, Philippe next in line as batsmen
MMarsh and Stoinis picked on suitable grounds
Behrendorff, Tremain the next bowlers. Doggett, Meredith and Moody all should be pushing for the spots too based on our selectors appreciation for raw pace - if they can continue to develop their games they will be right up there in contention.
Can't stand Head personally (the player, not the ...) he has horrible technique where he doesn't move the feet, pushes the bat so far infant of his bat where if someone swings it like in England he will be a walking wicket. Plus he is really prone to brain explosions where he just gifts his wickets to them.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Harris, Bancroft and Lasanga all have career FC averages in the 30s... the number of people who have a higher Test average than FC average is very slim indeed unfortunately. I can't see any of them being long term options.
Not directed at you per se but l have never liked people say "well look at their FC averages, only mid 30's" Their FC average is all the way since their debut, obviously when they first start out it is going to be low and it might take a long time and a lot of matches to increase that average. You shouldn't look at their FC average over their career but rather over the last 3+ seasons or so. Harris has a FC average of only 35 but he is averaging 75 or something in the SS and around 45-50 over the last 3-4 seasons of SS. If we just looked at their average of the whole career then we probably wouldn't have picked Harris and he turned out to be our best bat over the series and looked really good.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Not directed at you per se but l have never liked people say "well look at their FC averages, only mid 30's" Their FC average is all the way since their debut, obviously when they first start out it is going to be low and it might take a long time and a lot of matches to increase that average. You shouldn't look at their FC average over their career but rather over the last 3+ seasons or so. Harris has a FC average of only 35 but he is averaging 75 or something in the SS and around 45-50 over the last 3-4 seasons of SS. If we just looked at their average of the whole career then we probably wouldn't have picked Harris and he turned out to be our best bat over the series and looked really good.
This is true early in their careers but you’d hope by the time someone is 26, their FC average would have settled around 40 plus. I think what you say is more likely to be true of Renshaw than Harris, though Harris simply could be a late bloomer.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair question

I know everyone wants Cummins but it just seems to much pressure for me since in a more realistic scenario, he will probably continue to shoulder a pretty heavy workload over the coming years and adding the captaincy to that would be a massive strain.

Dont think Renshaw or Bancroft are leaders, you rule out bowlers per the general rule and at this stage it would seem a bit silly to put that extra pressure on Pucovski. With Sangha obviously too new, it would have to be between Harris and Smith...

I don't want Smith to be skipper again. He's got very poor body language, isn't inventive, he doesn't know how to use part-time bowlers let alone all-rounders and will want to skpper Starc and Haze forever.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't want Smith to be skipper again. He's got very poor body language, isn't inventive, he doesn't know how to use part-time bowlers let alone all-rounders and will want to skpper Starc and Haze forever.
Yeah l kinda agree with Smith on all those points. However he did get Wins (l don't think they were cheating every match) while Paine has lost every match but one l think. I know there are a lot of variables as such but as captain you have to instil the confidence in players so they can get the best out of themselves. Our batters are s**t atm. I actually prefer Paine as captain but l prefer wins obviously w/o the cheating tho.
This is true early in their careers but you’d hope by the time someone is 26, their FC average would have settled around 40 plus. I think what you say is more likely to be true of Renshaw than Harris, though Harris simply could be a late bloomer.
Yep and that is where it is. If they are a late bloomer then they will never get the chance if they just look at the averages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back