Dream Live Set Game

class78

All Australian
Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
No 'Meet Me In The Basement'? It's a staple of their set as an ending. Nice collection.

wasn't a massive FRR fan, so just ended on a classic note. would be the dream to see them live with both haines and feist though

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bloc Party

1- So He Begins to Lie
2- Hunting For Witches
3- She's Hearing Voices
4- Octopus
5- Positive Tension
6- Waiting For the 7.18
7- Song For Clay ( drifting in to)
8- Banquet
9- Flux
10-The Present
11-Kreuzberg
12- Signs
13-The Prayer
14-Like Eating Glass
15-So Here We Are
-------------------------
16- Truth
17- This Modern Love
18- Helicopter

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
So He Begins To Lie was a kick arse opener when I saw them. Those drums yell ominous. The weight of it was impressive as well from memory, and like all big shows at Festering Hole, there was this huge surge of lads and I was thinking "I'm glad I'm holding my own but I'm also glad I'm not wasting a great song getting through the first song push..."

In fact, short of The Present, and the last three of the main set, that is almost exactly what I saw them do in Melbs over three years ago (!)

I personally always thought the best opener would be Song for Clay and I liked 7.18 into Banquet, but then the build up from the whole Clay intro, then the release of the lighter and funner Banquet is hard to replace.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bloc Party

1- So He Begins to Lie
2- Hunting For Witches
3- She's Hearing Voices
4- Octopus
5- Positive Tension
6- Waiting For the 7.18
7- Song For Clay ( drifting in to)
8- Banquet
9- Flux
10-The Present
11-Kreuzberg
12- Signs
13-The Prayer
14-Like Eating Glass
15-So Here We Are
-------------------------
16- Truth
17- This Modern Love
18- Helicopter

This is actually pretty realistic. Glad you left off everything from the new album, how awful is it

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
So He Begins To Lie was a kick arse opener when I saw them. Those drums yell ominous. The weight of it was impressive as well from memory, and like all big shows at Festering Hole, there was this huge surge of lads and I was thinking "I'm glad I'm holding my own but I'm also glad I'm not wasting a great song getting through the first song push..."

In fact, short of The Present, and the last three of the main set, that is almost exactly what I saw them do in Melbs over three years ago (!)

I personally always thought the best opener would be Song for Clay and I liked 7.18 into Banquet, but then the build up from the whole Clay intro, then the release of the lighter and funner Banquet is hard to replace.

Song For Clay and Banquet work really well as a duo for the focal point of a gig. Was a highlight of the show when I saw them. Didn't want to dive straight in with a classic straight up, and Like Eating Glass is probably the other main candidate as an opener. I do think So He Begins to Lie is a Fairly underrated song. One of the best off four for mine.

This is actually pretty realistic. Glad you left off everything from the new album, how awful is it

Yeh it's not good at all. It also doesn't sound like Bloc Party in a lot of parts.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tbh worst gripe about this thread is not many people have an idea on how to make a setlist flow. Sure the big songs come at the end, you start with five well known ones, then a well known slow one, then make the middle section middling, but even within fast songs people are going for long intros against short intros and abrupt endings against yeah well you know.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
been pondering this for a while:

Get innocuous
beat connection
someone great
all I want
all my friends
never as tired as when I'm waking up
yeah (crass)
daft punk is playing at my house
yr city's a sucker
sound of silver
one touch
i can change
dance yrself clean
---------------------------
you wanted a hit
all my friends

probably an impossible set, poor murphy would have a heart attack - and so would I.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills

Get innocuous
beat connection
someone great
all I want
all my friends
yeah (crass)
yr city's a sucker
sound of silver
one touch
i can change
dance yrself clean
you wanted a hit
all my friends

probably an impossible set, poor murphy would have a heart attack - and so would I.

Two lots of All My Friends. Nice.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I guess I don't see many shows with set list these days, but something like this for Animal Collective. They don't really do sets that are more then 12/13 songs, yet the shows are still around the 100 min mark. Set list is based on stuff I've already heard live.

Chocolate Girl
Comfy In Nautica
Leaf House
Banshee Beat
(Keys to the Kingdom Intro) The Purple Bottle (I Just Called To Say I Love You)
Loch Raven
Guys Eyes - Outro leading into Fireworks
Fireworks > Essplode
Brother Sport

Daily Routine - Extended Outro
Who Could Win A Rabbit?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

Get innocuous
beat connection
someone great
all I want
all my friends
yeah (crass)
yr city's a sucker
sound of silver
one touch
i can change
dance yrself clean
you wanted a hit
all my friends

The old campaigner is about a year away from one anyway, especially with a fat waistline like his

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Interpol -

Pioneer to the Falls
Obstacle 1
Narc
Say Hello to the Angels
Leif Erikson
No I In Threesome
Slow Hands
Rest My Chemistry
Evil
Take You On A Cruise
The Heinrich Maneuver
Roland
Not Even Jail

NYC
Stella
PDA

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interpol are the sort of band who could sorta suck live. They just don't have the range of songs or the dynamics to really go off live.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Interpol are the sort of band who could sorta suck live. They just don't have the range of songs or the dynamics to really go off live.

You're right. I had fun seeing them as a 17 year old in early 2008. Would be tough to get through now a days.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're right. I had fun seeing them as a 17 year old in early 2008. Would be tough to get through now a days.
Ultimately their best songs are much more suited to Turn On The Bright Lights as a complete record and being by yourself in your room after walking around in the freezing cold. That's not really conducive to a live environment – people being introspective and basically sad themselves. Plus I've seen some videos and they lack the tightness that makes that record so hard and pulsating, and Paul Banks' seems a terrible live singer.

Plus the fun live songs like Evil, C'Mere, Slow Hands, Heinrich Maneuver, All The Rage Back Home would realistically mean missing out on six Bright Lights songs and having to put up those carbon copy, wannabe songs that make up 70% of their catalogue now.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Strokes

1. The Modern Age
2. New York City Cops
3. Under Cover of Darkness
4. Threat of Joy
5. Welcome to Japan
6. Someday
7. 12:51
8. Reptilia
9. Life is Simple in the Moonlight
10.Under Control
11. Red Light
12. Last Nite
13. JuiceBox
14. Automatic Stop
15. Trying Your Luck
--------------------------------------
16. Hard to Explain
17. You Only Live Once
18. Take it Or Leave It

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two could be complete without the rest of the world,
do it for the people who have died for your sake,
an entire generation with nothing to say.

One of their most underrated songs and the sweetest thing they've ever done.

Back