Opinion Dream Team: One player from each year over the past 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Not sure what to title the thread so any suggestions welcome.

I am extremely bored so using this link I picked one player from each years draft selections (national, preseason, midseason etc) over the last 30 years to make a team.

This is what I came up with.

B: Gaspar - Balta - Newman
HB: Houli -Vlastuin - Short
C: Cotchin - Cousins - Deledio
HF: Merenda - Richardson - Torney
F: Martin - Schulz - Rodan
R: Ottens - Edwards - Bolton
Int: Tuck - Chaffey - B. Ellis - Lloyd
E: Chol - Broad - Hall - Martyn

It was pretty hard to pick some years, other years I could have just skipped but I'm interested to see other people teams. Should be more varied than the TOTC teams that we pick. There's a few different ways this could go.

Top 4 all time goal kicker and needs to put his kicking boots on........fml
It was between him and Edwards for that year. I knew Richo would slot in, I already had a few talls and I felt the team needed the class of Edwards more than JR8s goal kicking with the forwards I had. It was the toughest decision of the lot though. Struggled with cotch and rance in the same year too.

Gaspar....shirley you jest
Ok, maybe I got that one wrong. Bowden probably deserves the spot. That said, I always really liked Gaspar.

Maxfield, Coughlan?
Went for Newy over Coggers for that year, I think Newys leadership would be handy in the backline with the absence of Grimes and rance.

Maxfield a decent shout. Thought he was picked up in 89 which would have disqualified him from this little exercise. Might swap and Broady. He'd be a nice addition.

I should clarify I'm 28, so my memory of a few of these players is that of a wide eyed young cub yet to be crushed by years of disappointment. So my view on players is probably pretty different to the older blokes that actually got to watch them all and fully understand each players impact and value.

Just be thankful I didn't pick Sziller.

Based on the OP using the last 30 years I've gone back & used the drafts from 1989-2019 to draft a squad of 30

B: N.Vlastuin (12) R.Hall (98) C.Newman (2000)
HB: B.Houli (10) J.Bowden (95) A.Kellaway (97)
C: W.Campbell (89) T.Cotchin (07) B.Ellis (11)
HF: K.Lambert(14) M.Richardson (92) B.Deledio (04)
F: M.Merenda (93) J.Riewoldt (06) N.Daffy (90)
R: T.Vickery (08) S.Tuck (03) D.Martin (09)
INT: A.Fiora(99) C.Hyde (01) K.Moore (02) M.White (05) J.Torney (94) M.Chaffey (96) A.Miles (13) D.Rioli (15) S.Bolton (16) N.Balta (17) M.Pickett (18) T.Dow(19)

Unlucky: Rogers (93) D.Bourke (94) Gaspar (95) Ottens (97) Tivendale(97) Dragacevic (98) Pettifer(2000) Coughlan (2000) Krakouer (2000) Rodan (01) Schulz (02) Jackson (03) Foley (03) Tambling (04) McGuane (04) Thursfield (04) Edwards (06) King (06) Rance(07) Nahas (08) Astbury (09) Grimes (09) Conca (10) McIntosh (12) Lloyd (13) Short (14) Castagna (14) Broad (15) Graham (16) Higgins (17) Baker (17) Chol (18)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the OP using the last 30 years I've gone back & used the drafts from 1989-2019 to draft a squad of 30

B: N.Vlastuin (12) R.Hall (98) C.Newman (2000)
HB: B.Houli (10) J.Bowden (95) A.Kellaway (97)
C: W.Campbell (89) T.Cotchin (07) B.Ellis (11)
HF: K.Lambert(14) M.Richardson (92) B.Deledio (04)
F: M.Merenda (93) J.Riewoldt (06) N.Daffy (90)
R: T.Vickery (08) S.Tuck (03) D.Martin (09)
INT: A.Fiora(99) C.Hyde (01) K.Moore (02) M.White (05) J.Torney (94) M.Chaffey (96) A.Miles (13) D.Rioli (15) S.Bolton (16) N.Balta (17) M.Pickett (18) T.Dow(19)

Unlucky: Rogers (93) D.Bourke (94) Gaspar (95) Ottens (97) Tivendale(97) Dragacevic (98) Pettifer(2000) Coughlan (2000) Krakouer (2000) Rodan (01) Schulz (02) Jackson (03) Foley (03) Tambling (04) McGuane (04) Thursfield (04) Edwards (06) King (06) Rance(07) Nahas (08) Astbury (09) Grimes (09) Conca (10) McIntosh (12) Lloyd (13) Short (14) Castagna (14) Broad (15) Graham (16) Higgins (17) Baker (17) Chol (18)
Good looking team. What was the thinking with Vickery, ruckwork? No love for Poyas? 😂

Good looking team. What was the thinking with Vickery, ruckwork? No love for Poyas? 😂
Liked Kellaway for his longer service to the club over Ottens, which effectively meant that Vickery became the ruckman by default given none of the other options were viable under the pick 1 player from each year criteria.

Liked Kellaway for his longer service to the club over Ottens, which effectively meant that Vickery became the ruckman by default given none of the other options were viable under the pick 1 player from each year criteria.
Fair enough I reckon. Kellaway stiff in mine. Would've liked both of them in my team.

We're you of the mindset that each player picked is at their draft level or at the peak of their career. I went the peak career route, which is why I let Cousins in.

Might have to have another go, reckon I could do this ten times and end up with ten very different teams.

Fair enough I reckon. Kellaway stiff in mine. Would've liked both of them in my team.

We're you of the mindset that each player picked is at their draft level or at the peak of their career. I went the peak career route, which is why I let Cousins in.

Might have to have another go, reckon I could do this ten times and end up with ten very different teams.
Went purely on service to Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back