Preview Round 10: Dreamtime at the G - Richmond vs Essendon, Saturday 25/05/19 @ 7.25PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
This should be an intriguing battle. Both teams have had their share of injuries, but Richmond seem to have been able to cover these better than the Bombers so far this season. Bellchambers should be able to dominate Ivan Soldo in the ruck and if he can give Shiel, ZMerrett and Heppell first use this will go a long way towards the Bombers scoring a win.
Look for Stringer to play on the ball and match up against Dusty, and I'd like to see one of our big forwards in McKernan or Brown back in the team. Hopefully not too many changes and we line up something like;-

OUT: Baguley
IN: Brown

Ambrose Hurley McNeice
Redman Hooker Saad
Zakka Stringer Z.Merrett
Langford Daniher Parish
Begley Brown Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Shiel

Bench from: McGrath Guelfi Francis McKenna

Would be great to get the win here and go into the bye with the ledger square at 5 wins 5 losses and primed for an assault on the second half of the season

Last edited:
In:
SMACK and Ridley

Out:
Baguley and McNiece

If Smack and Brown aren't fit, then Laverde.

Based on our injury history, Stringer will probably be out considering he pulled up tight in the last quarter.

I said this elsewhere but there isn’t one team in the competition that manages to better expose every single one of our weaknesses than Richmond. They do their homework and plan excellently and we seem powerless every time to change the momentum of the game. This is a credit to them and their football smarts but also an indictment on us. The perfect example of this was the Dreamtime game last year which was (for them) a superb execution.

Potentially the addition of Ben Rutten to the coaching panel this year may give us some intellectual property we haven’t previously had... but judging by some of our performances this year, I wouldn’t be relying on that alone.

Are they the same team this year? No... particularly with their injury list. But their system is still sound and seemingly impenetrable for us.

This will take a performance greater than the losing ANZAC Day showing.

They expertly shut the ground off on us and limit our options.

But...I don't think we are a one trick pony any more.... It might look like we are playing like arse but I think it's just our way of playing plan b when we are not able to run and gun.

We are slowly gaining the ability to grind out periods of the game.

Sure it looks rubbish but if we can mix it with our sling later when/if the game opens up, we might be better for this current period

This should be an intriguing battle. Both teams have had their share of injuries, but Richmond seem to have been able to cover these better than the Bombers so far this season. Bellchambers should be able to dominate Ivan Soldo in the ruck and if he can give Shiel, ZMerrett and Heppell first use this will go a long way towards the Bombers scoring a win.
Look for Stringer to play on the ball and match up against Dusty, and I'd like to see one of our big forwards in McKernan or Brown back in the team. Hopefully not too many changes and we line up something like;-

OUT: Baguley
IN: Brown

Ambrose Hurley McNeice
Redman Hooker Saad
Zakka Stringer Z.Merrett
Langford Daniher Parish
Begley Brown Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Shiel

Bench from: McGrath Guelfi Francis McKenna

Would be great to get the win here and go into the bye with the ledger square at 5 wins 5 losses and primes for an assault on the second half of the season
I'd be tempted to play Redman or Guelfi forward in a defensive role on Houli. Orazio and Smith injuries are untimely, given the players returning. Would be keen to see McKernan in so Joey doesn't have to ruck.

I'd be tempted to play Redman or Guelfi forward in a defensive role on Houli. Orazio and Smith injuries are untimely, given the players returning. Would be keen to see McKernan in so Joey doesn't have to ruck.

Disagree ghostdog. I like Daniher in the ruck where he can jump around and get his hands on the ball. McKernan or Brown fine as our stay at home forwards as long as Jake & Tippa are playing well we dont have to rely on Daniher up forward

Disagree ghostdog. I like Daniher in the ruck where he can jump around and get his hands on the ball. McKernan or Brown fine as our stay at home forwards as long as Jake & Tippa are playing well we dont have to rely on Daniher up forward
Yeah nah, if he's jumping at the ball I'd rather it was over people's backs than smashing knees to knees. When he plays high hf and gets involved in the link up play he gets his hands on the ball and he likes to turn and go anyway. He's like a racehorse in that respect. Smack can still play through the forward line when Joey goes up the ground and adds a point of difference when he is there - keeps the defenders guessing. I think Brown is our man when Joe's out. If Brown were available last week he would have played.

You can't play all of Daniher, Brown/Smack/Stewart, Francis and Stringer in one forward line. Too top heavy. Same goes with Laverde. So I'm not sure if Baguley comes out this week

Begley could, didn't seem ready (imo)
I honestly think it will be no change.

Hurley (Caddy) - Hooker (Lynch) - McNiece (Bolton)
Redman (Castagna) - Ambrose (Balta) - Saad (Baker)
Zaharakis - Merrett - Heppell
Begley (Vlaustin) - Daniher (Astbury) - Baguley (Houli)
Walla (Grimes) - Stringer (Broad) - Francis (Garthwaite)
Bellchambers - Shiel - Parish
Guelfi - McGrath - McKenna - Langford

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Begley could, didn't seem ready (imo)

But still had four shots at goal and stuffed a kick to Daniher in the square. He’s normally a nice kick so he’ll get better in that department. Showed he can some real physical presence as well. Should be picked over Bags every time

Surely Brown is a better chance to come straight in than McKernan as he would have been able to keep his fitness up while injured

You can't play all of Daniher, Brown/Smack/Stewart, Francis and Stringer in one forward line. Too top heavy. Same goes with Laverde. So I'm not sure if Baguley comes out this week
That defensive forward who laid all of one tackle this week and added zero pressure

Tbh, there’s no difference between Baguley and Laverde from a pressure perspective.

Baguley’s height gives us an illusion that he’s quicker and better at applying pressure, but that’s simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back