Society/Culture Dreamworld closed after a safety incident but at falls festival its business as usual ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I don't get the double standard, it's being glossed over but 19 people were hospitalised. Some will spend months recovering. And the cause seems just as dangerous as ever. At dreamworld if the dangerous ride was closed a very high possibility the risk was removed completely and the place could have kept running like the festival seems to be doing

Is the fact deaths occurred more important to PR than the ongoing risk factor?

Last edited:
Did this actually happen? Zero on broadcast TV

A man was treated by paramedics after head injuries falling off a 1.5 m high wall in Darlinghurst though

So people at outdoor festivals know the risk but people riding carnival rides dont?

Surely theres an implicit requirement to operate a safe event

So people at outdoor festivals know the risk but people riding carnival rides dont?

Is there some posts not showing or are you conversing with yourself?
I haven't seen one person say it wasn't the organisers fault. Do you actually know anyone at falls?

Double standards.

Any number of posts in bigfooty highlighting the 'terrorist threat' which is statistically non existent
Who. Are. You. Responding. To?

So is his thread a tantrum about dream world vs falls or terrorists vs falls? You think 19 injured is worse than a foiled attack using explosives and weapons in Melbourne busiest area?

I don't think you understand what double standards are

Its not like any media outlets are taking any interest, but some reports are showing its only very good luck that no one died.

Im not certain on this point, but i suspect thered be more coverage if it was nearer to sydney.
And do i know anyone there? I might well do, I'm not sure. My kid decided not to go after all.

It reminds me of the Bali bomb in relation to the media. they largely ignored it for 24 hours - not enough good footage like 911

Who. Are. You. Responding. To?

So is his thread a tantrum about dream world vs falls or terrorists vs falls? You think 19 injured is worse than a foiled attack using explosives and weapons in Melbourne busiest area?

I don't think you understand what double standards are

So you are attacking me? Classy

So you are attacking me? Classy
You're arguing with yourself and refusing to acknowledge that maybe your knowledge isn't accurate

Its not like any media outlets are taking any interest, but some reports are showing its only very good luck that no one died.

Im not certain on this point, but i suspect thered be more coverage if it was nearer to sydney.
And do i know anyone there? I might well do, I'm not sure. My kid decided not to go after all.

It reminds me of the Bali bomb in relation to the media. they largely ignored it for 24 hours - not enough good footage like 911
It seems like you may get your media from the Amish. A quick google searches shows multiple stories. Accounts from witnesses blaming the organisers. Accounts from family members. And falls have put out a media statement

What even is your point?

So you don't know anyone there but claim the organisers aren't getting blamed? Half of my Frienda are there. Basically all of them have posted blaming falls festival organisers.

I'm saying that from a similar safety threat, Dreamworld got closed down. And broadcast TV media went into meltdown.(I did say Broadcast TV) is there a rule you cannot re-post until someone has replied?

Today it rates below some pub in queensland which burned down. Are your friends all OK?

I'm saying that from a similar safety threat, Dreamworld got closed down. And broadcast TV media went into meltdown.

Today it rates below some pub in queensland which burned down. Are your friends all OK?
Scrapes, cuts, most of them don't like DMAs so didn't get caught in it

4 people dead vs 19 with broken bones...I wonder why

Scrapes, cuts, most of them don't like DMAs so didn't get caught in it

4 people dead vs 19 with broken bones...I wonder why

I'm saying the contributing factors to the incident may very well still exist. And it sounds like luck no one died. My point is our collective outrage is focussed on the horror factor not actual ongoing risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm saying the contributing factors to the incident may very well still exist. And it sounds like luck no one died. My point is our collective outrage is focussed on the horror factor not actual ongoing risk
I'm fairly certain it was the layout for that specific band, as well as that stage. From what I understand that stage was immediately shut

It sounds like you've gotten "outraged" without any research

I'm fairly certain it was the layout for that specific band, as well as that stage. From what I understand that stage was immediately shut

It sounds like you've gotten "outraged" without any research

Im not so much outraged.more bemused that collective 'outrage' is selective and inconsistent(at least to this point),
You ara putting tags on me.
Wasnt dreamworld a specific issue with a specific ride? same thing.
Not sure what you mean by 'research' A public safety issue can't just be passed off because people will lose money otherwise. There are procedures.

Im not so much outraged.more bemused that collective 'outrage' is selective and inconsistent(at least to this point),
You ara putting tags on me.
Wasnt dreamworld a specific issue with a specific ride? same thing.
Not sure what you mean by 'research' A public safety issue can't just be passed off because people will lose money otherwise. There are procedures.
I'm saying you made a complaint of no media coverage, when it existed. And made a complaint that no one blamed organisers, when they are
First story on the 11am news is that worksafe and Vic pol are investigating it now.

Dream world required a much much more thorough investigation. Tends to happen when people die.

Sarcastic campaigner

I dint realise there was someone more contrary than me out there

And ch seven Etihad helicopters and kick
Ht camping out. Maybe the grizzle factor kicked in

But it was completely different

Sarcastic campaigner

I dint realise there was someone more contrary than me out there

And ch seven Etihad helicopters and kick
Ht camping out. Maybe the grizzle factor kicked in

But it was completely different
You've still yet to justify any of your claims

I'm not going to. I see double standards where others don't.

Then they either see my point. Or call me out like you did. That's it
So you can't justify that the media didn't cover it and nobody blamed the organisers but you still are adamant you're right?

Seems the media are just catching up. I heard about it on the radio this morning and was thinking 'how this could happen'?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/f...-teen-who-survived-crush-20161230-gtk64q.html
http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...ommunication-after-falls-festival-crowd-crush
http://themusic.com.au/news/all/201...ollowing-stampede-at-falls-festival-in-lorne/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-31/falls-festival-stampede-leaves-80-injured/8155392

"Thirteen women and six men aged from their late teens to late 20s were taken to hospital with injuries including leg, rib, hip and pelvic fractures, possible spinal injuries, head and facial injuries as well as cuts and abrasions."

Not enough staff on crowd control? Big crowd. Was surprised as to the extent of some injuries.
From the photos I have seen, the entrance/exit seemed quite narrow.

Haven't seen any worthwhile comment from the organisers as yet, just the usual.

So you can't justify that the media didn't cover it and nobody blamed the organisers but you still are adamant you're right?
I'm challenging what you just said. I'm saying it was very low TV REPEAT TV coverage compared to dreamworld (some old pub in Qld burning down got more TV time). where did I say the second point?

Last edited:
I'm challenging what you just said. I'm saying it was very low TV REPEAT TV coverage compared to dreamworld (some old pub in Qld burning down got more TV time). where did I say the second point?

You seemed fairly adamant about it

You also said "media outlets". It was literally the first thing I heard about on my way to gym. Was all over social media too.

I'm still confused by your point. You're now complaining that 4 deaths at a theme park got more coverage than broken bones at a music festival?

You seemed fairly adamant about it

You also said "media outlets". It was literally the first thing I heard about on my way to gym. Was all over social media too.

I'm still confused by your point. You're now complaining that 4 deaths at a theme park got more coverage than broken bones at a music festival?

You quoted me three times but dindnt quote where I said "media outlets" according to you? Funny that

Now run along stalker boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back