Drew Petrie - Least decorated 300 gamer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let me begin by stating this is not a thread dissing Drew at all. He has been a great servant for North and has done very well to make it to 300 games next week.

My question is simply - is Drew the least decorated player we have had to reach 300 games?

I feel of late he cops double team and it allows Brown Waite etc get the attention from scores. But not sure of his numbers. Clearly kicking high before 2015

Right... Ashcroft has 3 cups alone. From memory he is also the first Queenslander to play 300 games as well.

To the OP, yes he is probably in the top handful but he still has made an AA not like that means anything considering its pretty much a media award these days.

As I said, Lions would've won those cups regardless. Being the first to 300 from a state means bugger all in this discussion, it's about amount of decoration.

I agree though, Petrie isn't all that decorated for someone who has played 300 games next weekend. He was thrown back and forwards a lot early in his career by Laidley. Otherwise he'd have a lot more goals at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jude Bolton, Tyson Edwards, Marcus Ashcroft and Gary Foulds would be considered, but I think you'd rule them out, as they are all multiple premiership players.

I really depends on your own interpretation of the word "decorated"

Jude Bolton, Tyson Edwards, Marcus Ashcroft and Gary Foulds would be considered, but I think you'd rule them out, as they are all multiple premiership players.

Well until Lenny, Jude had most total career tackles and not sure if his tackles in one game record still stands. Also be up there with most concussions in one game but kept playing - * I miss him in the red and white.

I think premierships count as 'prizes' more than awards (I know, it's splitting hairs, but I think there is a difference). I'm sure we can all list many dud players with multiple premierships.

Drew is the ultimate team player, see the legendary "decoy role". He's also had the misfortune of coming into the side just as the 90s golden era ended.

He had a shaky start to his career too. In fact, some otherwise impeccable football judges like RoyalBlue didn't think he'd ever make the grade.

But while he may never have gained individual recognition in the form of awards and so on, his contribution to the footy club is massively appreciated where it counts most - within the coaching staff and the fans.

John Blakey immediately sprung to mind. Solid but pretty unremarkable player beyond his longevity.

Hugely under-rated player. Two flags as well. Jeez, he might even have got a few state of origin games he was around that long ago.

Best game Blakey played ? Watch his defensive fwd. role on the Swans attacking Paul Roos '96 G.F.
Roosy never got a look in. Masterstroke by Pagan.

Roos has never forgiven us for costing him a flag as a player. Hence his vendetta. The Lindsay Thomas/Gary Rohan thing being a prime example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back