spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
For me, it's so sad to see a champion of our club play as a rookie (especially for a team I despise - The WCE). What will he be on....$80k?....and relocate the whole family here in Perth for 5-10 games? FFS, I then read that Jack Grimes was a good chance to be on an AFL rookie list, but decided that he'd rather play with his mates.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-29/former-demon-jack-grimes-accepts-his-career-is-over

Why Drew.....why would you put all us North supporters through this pain?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...-in-the-ruck-you-bet-says-brent-harvey/#page1

I'm not in pain at all! Good luck to him, I'm sure that his role is a coaching one as well and could lead to a career post footy. Wish him well and know that we absolutely got his best years! If we got through seeing Schwatta, Duck, Choppy and others play for another team I'm sure we will get through this.

I'm not in pain at all! Good luck to him, I'm sure that his role is a coaching one as well and could lead to a career post footy. Wish him well and know that we absolutely got his best years! If we got through seeing Schwatta, Duck, Choppy and others play for another team I'm sure we will get through this.

I've heard that no coaching role offered to him by Simmo for 2018. The others you mentioned did not play over 300 games for us...so I just find it disappointing that he just retired.

I believe there should be a tomb built under Arden St and once a player finishes up at North they should be sealed in there. That would go along with way to preserving our image of them as a NMFC person whilst stopping them from entertaining the thought of continuing their career.

:stern look:

Despite the above smartarsery I agree with you spurs. Would be nice to see some of our former players age gracefully rather than tart themselves up and hitting the over 28s nights.
I was disappointed in the equivocation and/or denial of Boomer, Dal and Drew for this reason. Geez, you've all had good runs and, in the case of Boomer, record-breaking runs. In the case of Drew and Dal, they went on a year too long as it was in my view and it could be argued it was their self-interest/delusion that has prevented the 'reset' from occuring earlier. Of course, the football department is culpable too, but I reckon these guys held on too long, to our detriment.

So, it is with bemusement that I read Drew saying 2016 wasn't good, but the previous 5 years were. Well, he was very slow to start both 2014 and 2015 and who can forget him pumping himself up as an experienced finals campaigner prior to the EF? I almost want him to bomb out, to help him wake up to himself and to prove the delisting decision as the right one. At the very least, I want an insipid performance against Tarrant in Rd 1 if he plays.

I was disappointed in the equivocation and/or denial of Boomer, Dal and Drew for this reason. Geez, you've all had good runs and, in the case of Boomer, record-breaking runs. In the case of Drew and Dal, they went on a year too long as it was in my view and it could be argued it was their self-interest/delusion that has prevented the 'reset' from occuring earlier. Of course, the football department is culpable too, but I reckon these guys held on too long, to our detriment.

So, it is with bemusement that I read Drew saying 2016 wasn't good, but the previous 5 years were. Well, he was very slow to start both 2014 and 2015 and who can forget him pumping himself up as an experienced finals campaigner prior to the EF? I almost want him to bomb out, to help him wake up to himself and to prove the delisting decision as the right one. At the very least, I want an insipid performance against Tarrant in Rd 1 if he plays.

Tarrant won't be playing in the ruck

Loyal servant of the club and deserves to go out on high. Reality is Drew isn't a ruckman so realistically if Darling or Kennedy go down he will probably get a game. Other than that slim pickings. Would be disappointing if he ended it playing in the WAFL.

My take is that the fire still burns bright in Drew's belly for a premiership. So much so he's prepared to take a rookie contract on the other side of the continent for a long shot crack at one (long shot both in terms of WC winning it next year and Drew, as a backup ruck with an old man's potential for a season ending injury, being there in the GF if they make it).

It's the only thing I can think of that would make him bother.

To be honest, I was in pain watching him in 2016.
and 2015 bar the tigers game and the frank the tank.

My take is that the fire still burns bright in Drew's belly for a premiership.

i hear strathmore are a big chance next year?

if Darling or Kennedy go down he will probably get a game
I will give drewy one thing, he got a lot more tikka than Darling.
2a53ad313bab57a6151ec7af1c661a08

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that saddens me the most about Drew is the fact that he's played the second most games in the almost 150 year history of the club and didn't play in one Grand Final. That sucks serious arse.
Brad Scott is closing in on the record of most games coached without making a grand final too.

These stats are Richmond/Melbourne levels of shitness.

My take is that the fire still burns bright in Drew's belly for a premiership. So much so he's prepared to take a rookie contract on the other side of the continent for a long shot crack at one (long shot both in terms of WC winning it next year and Drew, as a backup ruck with an old man's potential for a season ending injury, being there in the GF if they make it).

It's the only thing I can think of that would make him bother.

He will be banished to the WAFL mid season. The only way he could get to the GF is if Nic Nat ,Lycett, Giles and Kennedy all had injuries in the PF. I hope Goldy smashes him in round 1 if he plays ruck. Giles would be my first pick before Drew in the ruck.

“We think by round 15 or 16 ... we will have both Nic and Scott available.”

The Eagles had previously been hopeful that Lycett would be ready to play round one, but Simpson said a conservative approach would be taken.

“No hiccups we think early to mid part of the season,” he said.

The thing that saddens me the most about Drew is the fact that he's played the second most games in the almost 150 year history of the club and didn't play in one Grand Final. That sucks serious arse.

His own fault, Mr September and that.
Didn't fire a shot when it really counted.

One of the more delusional footballers of all time.

Be pretty hard to hold anything against the Dish. Will always remember the memories. Two footy-gasms in two minutes at the EF when he stepped-up against our mortal enemy, and when you factor in the sheer hard work & sheer good-blokeness he delivered for over a decade then he could have campaigned for Trump and I'd still think fondly of the man. Shame he's gonna finish a WAFL player but we don't know where his head's at - I'm sure his own reasons are sound. Best of luck Drew.

So do north pay respect by lining up the best defender on him?
My comment about Tarrant is coming back to bite me.
Yes, he's been recruited as a 'ruckman' (wtf) and no, he wouldn't command the best defender, unless Kennedy is out.

I hope Drewy goes well...but not too well. Maybe do a Corey McKernan and finally win a B&F but playing for the wooden spoon team.

Having said that, Simmo must just want more mates around him in Perth so he can hold some good card nights or get a good group together for fishing trips or golf days. Lots of players have bad years but when you've had one ordinary one followed up by an absolute stinker and you're Drew's age...you're cooked. Of the four of Boomer, Spud, Drew and Dal...Drew had the least to give in 2017 yet he's the one who found a home. What's even stranger we're meant to believe he's gone there as cover whilst Nic Nat is out. But his last 100 hit outs came in his last 84 games. He hasn't had more than 13 in a games since the 2008 EF. He just isn't a ruckman. And with Kennedy and Darling I just can't see where he fits in. Hmm...oh well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back