Drew Petrie

Remove this Banner Ad

I was disappointed in the equivocation and/or denial of Boomer, Dal and Drew for this reason. Geez, you've all had good runs and, in the case of Boomer, record-breaking runs. In the case of Drew and Dal, they went on a year too long as it was in my view and it could be argued it was their self-interest/delusion that has prevented the 'reset' from occuring earlier. Of course, the football department is culpable too, but I reckon these guys held on too long, to our detriment.

So, it is with bemusement that I read Drew saying 2016 wasn't good, but the previous 5 years were. Well, he was very slow to start both 2014 and 2015 and who can forget him pumping himself up as an experienced finals campaigner prior to the EF? I almost want him to bomb out, to help him wake up to himself and to prove the delisting decision as the right one. At the very least, I want an insipid performance against Tarrant in Rd 1 if he plays.
Pretty much agree with all this, i just wish he was more realistic with himself instead of deluding himself.
His pre finals self pump up and his form in 2016 to his realistic game time chances at West Coast.
I wish him all the best and good luck to him honestly. But if he does spend alot of time in the WAFL maybe that's the wake up call he needs cause his form over the last two years has been below average to say the least but he doesn't seem to get it.

Probably feels confident in the durability of his body and still has that desire to play on, but after 2 or 3 years of mediocre to downright shocking seasons in his twilight years he is delusional if he thinks he'll add any value as a ruckmen let alone as a forward and so is Simpson.

A lot of negativity about this. I am extremely happy for Drew because it was obviously something that he wanted to do, so we should all support him in having a crack.

Jeez a lot of us have turned on Drew haven't we?

We cut him, the guy nominated for the draft, he got picked up. What does he owe you? To be a one club player?

I have great memories of Drew, they're not gonna be any worse cause he plays for West Coast this year.

Just Topping up his pension.This season he could not jump and lets see how he goes when the other big men come back.He will end up in the WAFL and at least with the Roos he finished in the seniors.I hope the Eagles get flogged and even know i was a fan of Drew until he leaves the Mongrels @ West Coke he is the Enemy.

I'm not in pain at all! Good luck to him, I'm sure that his role is a coaching one as well and could lead to a career post footy. Wish him well and know that we absolutely got his best years! If we got through seeing Schwatta, Duck, Choppy and others play for another team I'm sure we will get through this.
Yes, we'll get through this of course but until then it's open season on this opposition player as it will be with Wellsy too!

A lot of negativity about this. I am extremely happy for Drew because it was obviously something that he wanted to do, so we should all support him in having a crack.
I don't support anything to do with West Coke or East Perth.

When this is over I will love Drew again.

Last edited:
Jeez a lot of us have turned on Drew haven't we?

We cut him, the guy nominated for the draft, he got picked up. What does he owe you? To be a one club player?

I have great memories of Drew, they're not gonna be any worse cause he plays for West Coast this year.
Given how much flak he copped this year when he was still with us the jump isn't that big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably feels confident in the durability of his body and still has that desire to play on, but after 2 or 3 years of mediocre to downright shocking seasons in his twilight years he is delusional if he thinks he'll add any value as a ruckmen let alone as a forward and so is Simpson.

He played well in b427 but there was a general lift across the whole team in that match - that was pretty much the one last gasp from north for the season. Maybe he believes he can carry that form for a whole year, or at least for the time till nicnat is back.

I wonder how a player feels when watching replays, or if they actually do watch games on replay at all? Maybe they just watch bits the coaches want them to see...

The fact that he was not getting the best defender says he was cooked, in saying that he did OK in the ruck.when he went in there on a few times.

Wish drew all the best hope he returns to north in a coaching role

I've always loved the big guy but he's done. This move has the potential to turn uglier quicker than the front running Wet Toast supporters turning on him.

Good luck with the feral WCE supporters over here Drew... you're certainly going to need it..

I've always loved the big guy but he's done. This move has the potential to turn uglier quicker than the front running Wet Toast supporters turning on him.

Good luck with the feral WCE supporters over here Drew... you're certainly going to need it..
They've never really been on his side since he got there.

I suspect he will struggle badly like he did us in 2016 if he does in fact play.

But good luck to him as a long term North servant if he can perform in his new role, have to admit he looked better up the ground last season than he did being completely toweled up close to goals nearly every week.

Maybe his new coach actually has some imagination in what roles he wants players to perform week to week.

Last edited:
Just Topping up his pension.This season he could not jump and lets see how he goes when the other big men come back.He will end up in the WAFL and at least with the Roos he finished in the seniors.I hope the Eagles get flogged and even know i was a fan of Drew until he leaves the Mongrels @ West Coke he is the Enemy.

Top up on his pension with a rookie salary? It will probably cost him more than he makes if he moves his family over there.

It worries me a bit that people so sincerely want him to fail.

If you take into consideration how Greenwood and Wells found new clubs, it's pretty extreme.

Huh?

People (not me) have ripped into Greenwood since he left.

Wells is a different situation entirely. Petrie can do what he wants and doesn't deserve criticism for it, but it's certainly a strange decision IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back