Drink Driving & Dangerous Driving

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Once again I am sitting in my living room watching a car roar down my quiet suburban street at about 70km per hour. Within my street are 4 houses with kids, young kids, should a child unexpectedly come out on to the road, at 70km per hour there is no hope for a happy ending.

I routinely find myself being tail gated, often watch as cars roar past me as I stick to the speed limit, always question why there is a need to constantly speed. Not to mention the plethora of car accidents that occur with fatalities at this time of year.

I recently read a P Plater was caught doing 213km per hour yet was given a 6 month driving ban and less than a $2000 fine.

I don't think this country is serious enough about stopping these people. The rules need to get exponentially tougher to stop this happening and start hitting people where it hurts. Consider this:

5km over = $500 fine.
6-10km over = $750 fine.
10 - 14km over = $1000 fine and 3 demerit points.
15-19km over = $1500 fine and 6 demerit points.
20-25km over = $2000 fine, 8 demerit points, 2 month suspension of licence
26-30km over = $2500 fine, 8 demerit points, 2 year suspension
31-40km over = $4000 fine, 8 demerit points, 3 year suspension.

40km over = $10,000 fine, total suspension.

For all offences 20km - 40 km over you also have to reapply for your licence for the next 4 years.

Now if that isn't an incentive to drive more carefully, I don't know what is.

If a young kid runs onto the street and gets hit by a car its parents should get the same penalty as the driver and if the driver was obeying the law the parents should still be penalised.

If a young kid runs onto the street and gets hit by a car its parents should get the same penalty as the driver and if the driver was obeying the law the parents should still be penalised.
Sometimes you take your eye off them for a second and things happen. Speeding though? Totally avoidable. Particularly when 50 is the limit.

Just don't *en speed.

Sometimes you take your eye off them for a second and things happen. Speeding though? Totally avoidable. Particularly when 50 is the limit.

Just don't ****en speed.
Sometimes you take your eye off the speedo for a second (hard to do in Vic with the police making sure you stick to their rules) and all of a sudden you're speeding... Happened to me in the tunnel of all places on Christmas Day - $90 in an $80 zone.

Once again I am sitting in my living room watching a car roar down my quiet suburban street at about 70km per hour. Within my street are 4 houses with kids, young kids, should a child unexpectedly come out on to the road, at 70km per hour there is no hope for a happy ending.

I routinely find myself being tail gated, often watch as cars roar past me as I stick to the speed limit, always question why there is a need to constantly speed. Not to mention the plethora of car accidents that occur with fatalities at this time of year.

I recently read a P Plater was caught doing 213km per hour yet was given a 6 month driving ban and less than a $2000 fine.

I don't think this country is serious enough about stopping these people. The rules need to get exponentially tougher to stop this happening and start hitting people where it hurts. Consider this:

5km over = $500 fine.
6-10km over = $750 fine.

For all offences 20km - 40 km over you also have to reapply for your licence for the next 4 years.

I think you are at the wrong end of the stick

Yep fines hurt but that people continue to speed says the enforcement is too little. When was the last time the cameras etc were on your street? Maybe thats the problem. Have you asked the council to install speed humps?

As to the monetary penalty, most people who choose to speed then choose not to pay it. I was recently camerad at 101km on the Princes Freeway heading from Mt Barker into the city. I rarely drive it and know the road varies from 110 to 90kmh in places. I got clocked in the 90 zone. My fault 100% I should have been more aware . I am now up for $450 fine. If it was $1000 I would refuse to pay it and tell them to do their best. They take my licence off, what happens? I get fined again for not having a licence and I refuse once again to pay. I continue driving they fine me ad infinitum

Do I want speed humps on every street? Nope. Do I wish people drove at the limit? Of course I do. But a visible police presence more than fines or fixed cameras reduces speed.

Where you should be focussing your anger is on the penalties for those who then kill in their cars. Too many are allowed or escape serious penalty when they kill another person, whether that be a child running on the road or in another car accident. If it can be proven , through speed or negligence or both then the option of jail should be the 1st thing on the agenda not the last

5km over = $500 fine.
6-10km over = $750 fine.

I've just moved back to Vic and have been using the Monash a bit. I know exactly what my cars speedos read for me to be doing the speed limit. I'll set my cruise accordingly and will almost laugh how many pass me and the speeds that some of them are doing (130km/h+ in my opinion). They're probably the ones that post their outrage at getting speeding fines.

As for your suggestions about penalties, I'll give you a scenario and you tell me if you'd be happy for the driver to lose their licence and possibly their job as a consequence?

Driving on a clear, summer's day in southern NSW. The road is in good condition, visibility great in every direction, perfect day to be out driving. The speed limit is 100km/h.

The driver at some point gets stuck behind an elderly couple in the Magna station wagon, who are more than happy to sit on 80km/h. The driver is unable to overtake them because the traffic on the other side of the road is spaced just enough to make it impossible.

Every now and then, there is a small hill with an overtaking lane that runs for 4 or 500m. As they approach each hill, the elderly driver in the Magna speeds up to just over the speed limit.

After at least an hour of this going on, a massive line of cars has built up behind this Magna. The date is Sunday, 28 December, 1997, a lot of people are on their way home after having spent Christmas with family and friends and have to work the next day. Its around another 500km to Sydney and it's getting later in the day.

As the cars approach another hill and the Magna driver speeds up, the driver behind plants his foot to overtake, he accelerates to overtake and gets past the magna just before they reach the crest of the hill. At this stage, he is sitting on around 130km/h and about to ease off. He looks in his rear vision mirror and there is a train of other vehicles trying to overtake too. If the driver in front eases off, all the cars behind are going to have to bleed off speed too and lose momentum. The will be stuck in no-man's land on the wrong side of the road, approaching the crest of a hill with no vision of what is on the other side. The lead driver has a decision to make, does he starting slowing down and trap all of the other drivers on the wrong side of the road, or does he sit on 130km/h or even speed up a little more until everyone has pulled back in to the right side of the road?

He makes the decision to speed up a bit more, he's now doing 135km/h, 10 or 15 extra seconds have passed and the last car is just pulling back onto the right side of the road. It's a good thing too because there's a bit of traffic approaching on the opposite side of the road. The lead driver now starts to back off but it's too late, there is a cop car approaching in the opposite direction. The cop flashes his lights and indicates for the driver to pull over. He can see in his rear vision mirror, the cop doing a U-turn behind the long train of cars. It's another few kms before it's safe to pull over. The driver pulls over and the cop car pulls in shortly afterwards. The driver gets out and the cop gets out and approaches the car. Whilst this is happening the train of cars roars by, eventually the Magna doing 80km/h comes cruising past, the elderly couple, give a toot, wave and laugh at the driver that has been pulled over for speeding.

Yes it was me and if that cop had've been a few feet closer, I may have been very tempted to grab the copper's gun and empty the clip into that silly old prick in his Magna.

He had clocked me at 132km/h which was a loss of licence. I explained the circumstances of why I was speeding and he brought it down under 30+km/h over so that it would only be a fine. He said that if I wrote a letter to whoever then they might let me off with a warning. In the end it was too hard, I was in the Navy and I was caught in NSW, heading home to the ACT, driving a QLD registered car with a Victorian licence. $179 fine, I wasn't happy.

I've just moved back to Vic and have been using the Monash a bit. I know exactly what my cars speedos read for me to be doing the speed limit. I'll set my cruise accordingly and will almost laugh how many pass me and the speeds that some of them are doing (130km/h+ in my opinion). They're probably the ones that post their outrage at getting speeding fines.

As for your suggestions about penalties, I'll give you a scenario and you tell me if you'd be happy for the driver to lose their licence and possibly their job as a consequence?

Driving on a clear, summer's day in southern NSW. The road is in good condition, visibility great in every direction, perfect day to be out driving. The speed limit is 100km/h.

The driver at some point gets stuck behind an elderly couple in the Magna station wagon, who are more than happy to sit on 80km/h. The driver is unable to overtake them because the traffic on the other side of the road is spaced just enough to make it impossible.

Every now and then, there is a small hill with an overtaking lane that runs for 4 or 500m. As they approach each hill, the elderly driver in the Magna speeds up to just over the speed limit.

After at least an hour of this going on, a massive line of cars has built up behind this Magna. The date is Sunday, 28 December, 1997, a lot of people are on their way home after having spent Christmas with family and friends and have to work the next day. Its around another 500km to Sydney and it's getting later in the day.

As the cars approach another hill and the Magna driver speeds up, the driver behind plants his foot to overtake, he accelerates to overtake and gets past the magna just before they reach the crest of the hill. At this stage, he is sitting on around 130km/h and about to ease off. He looks in his rear vision mirror and there is a train of other vehicles trying to overtake too. If the driver in front eases off, all the cars behind are going to have to bleed off speed too and lose momentum. The will be stuck in no-man's land on the wrong side of the road, approaching the crest of a hill with no vision of what is on the other side. The lead driver has a decision to make, does he starting slowing down and trap all of the other drivers on the wrong side of the road, or does he sit on 130km/h or even speed up a little more until everyone has pulled back in to the right side of the road?

He makes the decision to speed up a bit more, he's now doing 135km/h, 10 or 15 extra seconds have passed and the last car is just pulling back onto the right side of the road. It's a good thing too because there's a bit of traffic approaching on the opposite side of the road. The lead driver now starts to back off but it's too late, there is a cop car approaching in the opposite direction. The cop flashes his lights and indicates for the driver to pull over. He can see in his rear vision mirror, the cop doing a U-turn behind the long train of cars. It's another few kms before it's safe to pull over. The driver pulls over and the cop car pulls in shortly afterwards. The driver gets out and the cop gets out and approaches the car. Whilst this is happening the train of cars roars by, eventually the Magna doing 80km/h comes cruising past, the elderly couple, give a toot, wave and laugh at the driver that has been pulled over for speeding.

Yes it was me and if that cop had've been a few feet closer, I may have been very tempted to grab the copper's gun and empty the clip into that silly old prick in his Magna.

He had clocked me at 132km/h which was a loss of licence. I explained the circumstances of why I was speeding and he brought it down under 30+km/h over so that it would only be a fine. He said that if I wrote a letter to whoever then they might let me off with a warning. In the end it was too hard, I was in the Navy and I was caught in NSW, heading home to the ACT, driving a QLD registered car with a Victorian licence. $179 fine, I wasn't happy.
Why were you even considering overtaking near a hill with limited vision?

If the Magna was doing 80km per hour you shouldn't need to go faster than 100km per hour to overtake them!

I think you are at the wrong end of the stick

Yep fines hurt but that people continue to speed says the enforcement is too little. When was the last time the cameras etc were on your street? Maybe thats the problem. Have you asked the council to install speed humps?

As to the monetary penalty, most people who choose to speed then choose not to pay it. I was recently camerad at 101km on the Princes Freeway heading from Mt Barker into the city. I rarely drive it and know the road varies from 110 to 90kmh in places. I got clocked in the 90 zone. My fault 100% I should have been more aware . I am now up for $450 fine. If it was $1000 I would refuse to pay it and tell them to do their best. They take my licence off, what happens? I get fined again for not having a licence and I refuse once again to pay. I continue driving they fine me ad infinitum

Do I want speed humps on every street? Nope. Do I wish people droveat the limit? Of course I do. But a visible police presence more than fines or fixed cameras reduces speed.

Where you should be focussing your anger is on the penalties for those who then kill in their cars. Too many are allowed or escape serious penalty when they kill another person, whether that be a child running on the road or in another car accident. If it can be proven , through speed or negligence or both then the option of jail should be the 1st thing on the agenda not the last
Well firstly you can't not pay the fine. I've never heard of someone not getting away with simply not paying. It makes no difference if it's $1000, you can't tell them to 'do their best'. If it's the law, it's enforceable.

Focusing on my anger on those who kill is ridiculous, why wait until someone gets killed before you lump them with huge penalties? The whole point is to administer really hard rules so that people don't get killed.

That attitude is reactionary and not proactive, which is the problem. I think there needs to be clear and definitive signage to ensure there are no confusing signals re the speed limit, but it's always pretty clear to me.

The idiot caught doing 213km the other week should never be able to drive again. Yes that's correct. A P Plater. I don't care if he killed himself, I don't, but it's the wife and kids he kills leaving a husband behind that suffers.

Zero tolerance. It's gone on too much.

Well firstly you can't not pay the fine. I've never heard of someone not getting away with simply not paying. It makes no difference if it's $1000, you can't tell them to 'do their best'. If it's the law, it's enforceable.
Link

But the largest number of outstanding fines belong to a Port Lincoln driver who has 527 still to be repaid, 523 for driving offences and 512 of those for parking. In total this person, “client 12” or 12th worst in the rankings owes $133,034.

Focusing on my anger on those who kill is ridiculous, why wait until someone gets killed before you lump them with huge penalties? The whole point is to administer really hard rules so that people don't get killed.
Because as your post has shown , fines dont work, as much as you think more financial penalties will slow people down, it has been shown again and again and again and again it does NOT work.

he idiot caught doing 213km the other week should never be able to drive again. Yes that's correct. A P Plater. I don't care if he killed himself, I don't, but it's the wife and kids he kills leaving a husband behind that suffers.
How do you intend to enforce this?

Link

But the largest number of outstanding fines belong to a Port Lincoln driver who has 527 still to be repaid, 523 for driving offences and 512 of those for parking. In total this person, “client 12” or 12th worst in the rankings owes $133,034.

Because as your post has shown , fines dont work, as much as you think more financial penalties will slow people down, it has been shown again and again and again and again it does NOT work.

How do you intend to enforce this?
I wasn't aware of the law being so flippant about enforcing fines. I thought you would just be dragged to court if that was the case? Sheriff warrants etc. My old housemate had the sheriff come to our door once, said that he had $600 in unpaid fines and that if they weren't paid he would be going in front of a magistrate. I had to lend him half.

You don't think having to pay a $1000 fine would help? It'd stop me. If I had to cough up that for something so avoidable I'd be filthy.

Well the only thing you can do is take away a licence, or imprison them.

I wasn't aware of the law being so flippant about enforcing fines. I thought you would just be dragged to court if that was the case? Sheriff warrants etc. My old housemate had the sheriff come to our door once, said that he had $600 in unpaid fines and that if they weren't paid he would be going in front of a magistrate. I had to lend him half.

You don't think having to pay a $1000 fine would help? It'd stop me. If I had to cough up that for something so avoidable I'd be filthy.

Well the only thing you can do is take away a licence, or imprison them.
On the bolded for sure. Thats my 2nd fine in 5 years and both avoidable but neither were in the Dangerous driving level. But it has been shown not to stop many people otherwise revenue would be down. That it isnt suggests people adjust. Even with the higher fine structure in SA more money keeps going to the Government.

On the last para , taking away a licence doesnt enforce it though. For someone prepared to drive at that speed having a licence wont matter

We have Hoon Laws in SA ie if you speed over a certain amount the car can be crushed, but many are driving parents cars etc and the courts get lenient. I cant recall too many cars being crushed.

My point about enforcement is that like not paying on a train or not having a licence, the odds are certainly in the persons favour not to be caught. A police presence and an active presence would deter a lot more than is now. I havent been pulled over in 15 years for a licence check nor roadside mechanical. So the odds would be in my favour

I'm of the opinion that people have to LIVE. Sometimes you just have to have some excitement in your lives. One of those is going fast, really fast, in a car (or motorcycle). I'll never speed in a built up area or where there's a fair bit of traffic and never speed anywhere else, apart from once every few years when I'm in the outback, on a good road with good visibility and in good conditions. I may go up to $180 for a few seconds but then I'll slow down to the speed limit. It's something I feel the 'need' to do. Having the police rule our lives is just plain wrong - we need outlets - and it's getting worse. If you can afford a track day (and all the time and cost it entails) every now and then good luck to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5km over = $500 fine.
6-10km over = $750 fine.

This sort of s**t is just revenue raising that targets people in random situations.

Target people at 20+ over and especially repeat offenders.

First timers under 20 over, go easy - the financial penalties shouldn’t be heavy.

This sort of s**t is just revenue raising that targets people in random situations.

Target people at 20+ over and especially repeat offenders.

First timers under 20 over, go easy - the financial penalties shouldn’t be heavy.
First timers under 20 over? You know you can only kill someone once right?

So instead of being tail gated, drive into the emergency lane to let them past. You'd be doing your bit to achieving Road to Zero.

Instead of complaining and coming up with ridiculous suggestions, don't be "that person" who thinks they're sticking to the speed limit when really they're going 7kph under the speed limit. It staggers me the amount of motorists these days who don't realise that the speedometer of newer model cars is intentionally set to a reading of 7kph under the speed a vehicle is actually travelling. Unless you get your speedometer calibrated, you shouldn't rely on your speedometer to give you an accurate reading of the speed you're travelling at.

It's motorists like you that end up being involved in road rage incidents. You pay registration just like everyone else, so you don't own the road and you shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for others suffering just because you don't feel like doing the speed limit or moving to the side of the road to let vehicles past.

You're probably the same selfish motorist who won't move to the left as far as practicable to allow an emergency vehicle with their lights activated to safely pass.

So instead of being tail gated, drive into the emergency lane to let them past. You'd be doing your bit to achieving Road to Zero.

Instead of complaining and coming up with ridiculous suggestions, don't be "that person" who thinks they're sticking to the speed limit when really they're going 7kph under the speed limit. It staggers me the amount of motorists these days who don't realise that the speedometer of newer model cars is intentionally set to a reading of 7kph under the speed a vehicle is actually travelling. Unless you get your speedometer calibrated, you shouldn't rely on your speedometer to give you an accurate reading of the speed you're travelling at.

It's motorists like you that end up being involved in road rage incidents. You pay registration just like everyone else, so you don't own the road and you shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for others suffering just because you don't feel like doing the speed limit or moving to the side of the road to let vehicles past.

You're probably the same selfish motorist who won't move to the left as far as practicable to allow an emergency vehicle with their lights activated to safely pass.
Most speedometers are set for two or three kms over the speed the vehicle is actually traveling at. Speedometer says 100 then you’re most likely doing 97 or 98.

Congratulations on your presumptuous approach.

Firstly instead of me moving into the emergency lane, how about the idiot behind me actually doesn't ride my arse? Moving into the emergency lane is fairly drastic. Why do you have to speed? Why do I have to make way for your desire to break the ******* law?

7kmph under the speed limit? Give me a spell. Does your car actually show you going 7kmph under or does it say 70km when mine says 60km in a 60 zone? What a load of rubbish. Piss ant excuse.

No, it's not motorists like me involved in road rage accidents. If you feel the need to engage in a road rage incident because you can't drive the speed limit or are frustrated at someone doing the speed limit then you shouldn't be declared fit to drive.

Really? I don't move over? You've seen me not move over first hand have you? What a way to just assume I wouldn't move out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

I don't need to justify your desire to measure your genitals by allowing you to intimidate me on the road because you can't comprehend what the speed limit is nor grasp that tail gating people is intimidatory and pathetic.

You're probably the same gutless coward that tail gated my wife and daughter the other day causing her extreme anxiety whilst insulting her from your window, all because you couldn't do 60km in a 60km zone and had to ram your pathetic hotted Holden up behind her.

If you really want to get into a road rage incident with someone like me good luck. I am 6"7 and 125kg, and I didn't get that way eating burgers and fries, so yeah, maybe think twice before you decide to stand over women and children next time you ******* coward.

First timers under 20 over? You know you can only kill someone once right?

I highly doubt your super-harsh zero tolerance approach would work with an everyday activity such as driving.

The reality is in decades of driving, otherwise law-abiding and safe drivers may occasionally creep over the limit. Sometimes for good reason, such as overtaking or avoiding a blocked lane. These decisions are taken in split seconds, and need to be when driving. They’re not considered decisions weighing up potential financial penalties.

If you really want it front-of-mind all day, every day for every driver, the likely impact will be indecision, which in itself is dangerous on the road.

Whacking them with massive financial penalties is just the government preying on good, normal people for a single incident that we’ve all - including you - committed over many years.

If they do it repeatedly, fair enough. If they’re clearly taking the piss and are waaaaaay over the limit, fair enough.

Otherwise, give them a warning. Or even a $50 fine as a reminder not to * up again. Don’t prey on normal people who may not have much money just to raise revenue.

So you didn't read it properly then.
I reckon you made a whole bunch of peoples' day, and look where it got you? The universe is ****ed sometimes. At least the copper did just enough for you to keep your licence.

Arseholes that accelerate leading up to passing lanes should have their licences banned for life and their cars crushed.

If you really want to get into a road rage incident with someone like me good luck. I am 6"7 and 125kg, and I didn't get that way eating burgers and fries, so yeah, maybe think twice before you decide to stand over women and children next time you ******* coward.
I have to ask this: what does threatening people over the internet achieve?

Does it give you a rush?

If this was a copy pasta, I'd understand but this just made me cringe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back